Denon AVR S700W vs X1100W - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-29-2014, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys, I've been trying to educate myself as best I can on the ins and outs of receivers but I wanted some advice.  With a $50 MSRP difference, which is the Denon to get: the s700w or the x1100w?

What I need from receiver:

I have Energy Take Classic 5.1.  I'd just use a 5.1 setup in living room and I'd like to run 2 extra speakers out to the patio for a Zone 2 eventually.  I'd like to be able to play/stream music to zone 2 using phone/tablet/etc.  I don't have a 4k TV but I will eventually so some future proofing is nice.  My current receiver is a JVC RX 6018V that I got with a HTiB set from way back.  I can finally afford something better so looking to upgrade! Will be nice to use HDMI for sound and not run optical cables to everything!  I'd also like to be able to use TV sound occasionally and not the speakers.  Do these both have that pass through feature?  I understand that the x1100w has a better version of audyssey.  Honestly, I've been using a htib set from 2002 so literally anything will be a big step up. 

Do I need the extra power of x1100w?  I currently have 4 HDMI devices and can't see myself every having more than 5 or 6.

Is it worth the extra $50 to go with the X1100?  Or are the improvements so marginal for someone like me that I'm better off with the S700W?  Or is there anything the S700W can do that the X1100W can't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I've spent hours reading forums, product reviews, etc trying to educate but it's a lot of new information to digest.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-30-2014, 03:08 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Both offer HDMI Standby pass through however power difference will be moot. The X1100W offers an extra year of warranty in addition to better Audyssey and Zone 2 pre-outs should you ever decide to expand to 7.1.

The new thread on these models is just getting started. Review posts 1-7 for more infomation.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531868/the-official-2014-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 05-30-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the response. I read through that entire thread. A lot of it was highly technical stuff that was a little over my head. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious. Would I notice results from the better audyssey with my energy take classic speakers or is it the kind of thing that only a real enthusiast would notice?
post #4 of 4 Old 05-30-2014, 08:35 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
^^
Possible, but not likely. If the feature benefits of the X1100W are of no interest, then purchase the S700W and enjoy. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page