AVS Forum banner

Older Pre-Pro Without Audyssey

434 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  fatbottom 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a nice used Outlaw Audio 990 pre-pro. It doesn't have HDMI nor Audyssey. I have two each Behringer DEQ24/96 and DCX24/96 processors and I "think" the DEQ's will take the place of Audyssey. Also, I think running RGB cables to the projector will be fine. I'm not very concerned about the surrounds... mostly want the front three matching full-range mains and the IB subwoofers to be well tuned. It's a 7.1 system. I'll buy a calibrated microphone and laptop for REW. I know to be careful of EQing room nulls.

CAVEATS: My cognition, memory and body are failing so I need easy easy EASY setup. I also have very little money to spend. Thank goodness I already have everything I need except the projector, screen and installation labor cost (IB installation).

QUESTION: Am I going to have difficulties setting up my HT with the gear I have?

If you need more information regarding the future install and/or gear just let me know.

#2 ·
Since you seem to understand how to use REW, and, you already have the equipment to objectively measure your room, it seems that you are already there. How easy it will be is relative to your level of experience with REW.

I personally moved from a Lexicon non-HDMI/non-Audyssey pre-amp to a Marantz with all the bells and whistles. To me it was an easy decision as I have no knowledge of REW, nor, do I want to spend the time and money to acquire the equipment and learn how to use it.

It doesn't get much easier than setting up my 8801, and, the sound quality is amazing. The most impressive improvement in my system is the EQ of my subwoofer.

Regarding video cables:

I prefer a direction connection between my source and my projector.

#3 ·

Quote:
I personally moved from a Lexicon non-HDMI/non-Audyssey pre-amp to a Marantz with all the bells and whistles. To me it was an easy decision as I have no knowledge of REW, nor, do I want to spend the time and money to acquire the equipment and learn how to use it.

You could have kept the Lexicon and just bought a subwoofer EQ such as a anti-mode, since generally that is the channel that EQ is most essential.

#4 ·
Yeah, I know an AVR with Audyssey is far easier but it's too late now unless I want to sell several things and start over. If I'm still capable of learning enough to do a decent job of it with what I have then I'd rather go that route. I'm not familiar with REW. I'll have to learn how to use it along with the secondary and tertiary hardware and software. I suppose I could buy OmniMic and try to learn that too but I'd rather not. It's not that I'm not interested or intrigued but my mind's plasticity is quite hardened these days. I'm not looking for perfection but I'd like to get as close as I can with what I already have. Heck, I'm half deaf these days anyway.

The subwoofer amp is a Behringer NU6000DSP so no need for additional low frequency EQ.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1533963/older-pre-pro-without-audyssey#post_24778525

You could have kept the Lexicon and just bought a subwoofer EQ such as a anti-mode, since generally that is the channel that EQ is most essential.

Yes, I considered that option. I even bought an Oppo BDP-103 to decode HI-REZ audio and feed the signal to my Lexicon via analog. I could not find a means to audition the anti-mode, and, those that had seemed to prefer Audyssey for sub EQ.

I often times regret selling my Lexicon and ask myself if I made the right decision....

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinnEars  /t/1533963/older-pre-pro-without-audyssey#post_24778550

Yeah, I know an AVR with Audyssey is far easier but it's too late now unless I want to sell several things and start over. If I'm still capable of learning enough to do a decent job of it with what I have then I'd rather go that route. I'm not familiar with REW. I'll have to learn how to use it along with the secondary and tertiary hardware and software. I suppose I could buy OmniMic and try to learn that too but I'd rather not. It's not that I'm not interested or intrigued but my mind's plasticity is quite hardened these days. I'm not looking for perfection but I'd like to get as close as I can with what I already have. Heck, I'm half deaf these days anyway.

How much cash would you end up with if you sold your Outlaw and the Behringers? You can get a new Marantz 8801 for right at $2,000. Since you have "tinn ears" you might be just as happy using a Denon 4520 AVR as a pre-pro.You would save some cash, and, pick up additional amplification as well.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy  /t/1533963/older-pre-pro-without-audyssey#post_24778627

At this point in the game I don't think it makes sense to buy anything without HDMI.

Depends if you have video source or if you need multi-channel. I can do without HDMI for audio only sources,

Lack of HDMI isn't the end of the world, if you only have one HD source, use 5.1/7.1 input. For HDMI video, use a HDMI switch.

Also you'll notice pre HDMI components have far more optical/coaxial inputs (and indeef s-video, composite, component) so if you have more legacy equipment a older unit could be a better choice. If you have no interest for EQ, again..

#10 ·
By the time you spend extra money for a Blu-ray player with 7.1 analog and an hdmi switch you get back to my point thinking you'd be better off with an hdmi receiver. You won't get 1080p to your projector without hdmi and I don't believe they can manufacture Blu-ray players with component outputs anymore (at least that will output HD)

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy  /t/1533963/older-pre-pro-without-audyssey#post_24780129

By the time you spend extra money for a Blu-ray player with 7.1 analog and an hdmi switch you get back to my point thinking you'd be better off with an hdmi receiver. You won't get 1080p to your projector without hdmi and I don't believe they can manufacture Blu-ray players with component outputs anymore (at least that will output HD)

£45 for HDMI switch (have two, Oppo and Octavia)

£600 for BD player, which is what I'd be buy anyway (Oppo)

£1000 for MC-8.

5.1 from Oppo into Lexicon

HDMI into switch

How much is a new AV pre with HDMI?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.