Marantz SR5008 vs. Yamaha RX-A830 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Starting a new system and I've narrowed it down to these two, but cannot decide.  Please provide any input you have about which one is preferable.

Also, is it worth going back a model or 2 to save some money?  for example, I can't find any actual spec difference between the A830 and A820.  I am a little concerned about futureproofing so I am hesitant to go back a model.  One other concern is that the PS4 uses CEC, and has no remote so I'd like a unit that has CEC (is this new or old tech?)

--

Primary uses:
60% video gaming (PS4) + movies (Netflix, BD, streamed from PC)
40% music (CD and streamed from PC-- mainly heavy metal, classic rock, industrial, classical)

Already have:
40" Sharp AQUOS LCD (~5 years old)
Klipsch KG5.5 mains (98dB sensitivity)
Crown XLS-1500 amp (300WPC for the mains)

Low input lag is important for gaming (is this simply an AVR setting away from being a nonissue?)  I plan on getting a standalone CD player/transport, and will use a PS4 for games and BD movies.  SQ for music is more important to me than SQ for movies.  Since I already have an amp for the mains, it will be a switcher/processor for my 2.0 setup to start with until I later decide to expand to 5.1.  Zones or anything over 5ch are nonissues for me.  Will probably buy from accessories4less to reduce cost if that makes a difference.

4.0 Music / Game / HT

Yamaha RX-A820 AVR
Crown XLS-1500 amp
Klipsch KG 5.5 fronts
Klipsch KSB 3.1 surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Usually, the best value in a receiver is the least expensive one from a good brand that has all of the features you require. Both brands you are looking at are good. I would probably go with the older Yamaha if it saved money and had all the features I needed. Judging from complaints online, no one makes a more reliable receiver than Yamaha.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

Usually, the best value in a receiver is the least expensive one from a good brand that has all of the features you require. Both brands you are looking at are good. I would probably go with the older Yamaha if it saved money and had all the features I needed. Judging from complaints online, no one makes a more reliable receiver than Yamaha.

Do you think there is any SQ difference between the SR5006 and SR5008?  I don't know if HDAM will make an audible difference for music.

Or the A810 vs A830.

4.0 Music / Game / HT

Yamaha RX-A820 AVR
Crown XLS-1500 amp
Klipsch KG 5.5 fronts
Old 06-06-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

No, I don't think there is any sound quality difference between any of them, PROVIDED one bypasses all special processing and one operates them within their design limits. The different processing programs will do different things, and so we may expect that they will sound different when using the automatic EQ and other such special processing, which is not the same in them all. And, of course, they are slightly different from each other in power output capability, so if we pushed the weakest one into clipping, then it would sound different from the others. With most speakers at sane volumes, that will not be an issue. And with you using a Crown power amp for the main channels, there will be no difference as far as the power is concerned, since you will not be using the power amp section of the receivers anyway (at least not for the main channels).

All good quality receivers are designed to give a flat frequency response (when bypassing all processing) and accurately reproduce the signal. All good brands do this, when kept within their design limits (e.g., not driven to clipping, etc.). Many people imagine all sorts of things, but they never are able to prove they hear any difference in properly conducted double blind listening tests. Both Marantz and Yamaha sound great when properly used. Or, rather, they will sound as good as the speakers hooked up to them.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Any other views on either of these AVRs?

4.0 Music / Game / HT

Yamaha RX-A820 AVR
Crown XLS-1500 amp
Klipsch KG 5.5 fronts
Old 06-07-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you mean from me, or someone else? If it were my money, I would go with the cheaper Yamaha among the choices presented. There are no features that the others have that I particularly care about, and so there is no particular reason for me to spend extra money for features I will not use anyway. If, however, there is some feature that one receiver has that the others lack, and if that feature is one you care about, then you should pick based on that.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Do you mean from me, or someone else? If it were my money, I would go with the cheaper Yamaha among the choices presented. There are no features that the others have that I particularly care about, and so there is no particular reason for me to spend extra money for features I will not use anyway. If, however, there is some feature that one receiver has that the others lack, and if that feature is one you care about, then you should pick based on that.

I'm looking for a range of opinions if I can get it, but it doesn't seem like anyone else has much to say.  Too low-end for this forum maybe?

Other than HDAM (maybe nothing but a marketing buzz word?), and peoples' descriptions of the AVR's "house sound" (you are claiming there is no difference between them though?), the feature sets are no different to my eye, which is why I am having trouble picking.  I am not sure but the DACs might make a difference for my needs, as I'll be using digital audio from my CD transport.

4.0 Music / Game / HT

Yamaha RX-A820 AVR
Crown XLS-1500 amp
Klipsch KG 5.5 fronts
Old 06-07-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

People often get strange ideas about the performance of gear. I have heard people claim that Yamaha amplifiers are "bright." The thing is, if that were really true, it would show up in frequency response measurements. It does not. What this is, is known as the placebo effect, where someone believes some nonsense, and then that is the way they experience it. No one has demonstrated the ability to distinguish between a Yamaha and another good amplifier in a properly conducted double blind test. If people really heard a difference, then they would not need to see what it is that they are hearing to be able to make the distinction.

"HDAM" is for marketing. If it sounded different from other good amplifiers, it would have to distort the signal in some way, which would be bad. For more on that, see this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1509244/help-understanding-marantz-hdam/0_100

There are massive amounts of nonsense that people commonly believe about audio. It is very disturbing. If you want some examples of insanity, take a look at this:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/index.html

And here is a thread about some other nonsense:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511786/audio-woo-at-its-worst-please-try-to-watch-all-the-way-through/0_100

It is truly frightening how gullible people are.

So, be skeptical of claims that people make about audio. Think carefully before you believe anything you read or hear about from anyone. If something seems fishy, it probably is.

Now, back to your problem. In a way, you don't have a problem, because all of the receivers you are looking at are fine. From the standpoint of sounding good, you cannot go wrong with any of them. That is why I recommend the least expensive model that has all the features that you need. Marantz and Yamaha are both fine brands. I personally prefer Yamaha, but it isn't a big deal. I could be perfectly happy with a Marantz. However, whenever I have looked to buy something, Yamaha seems to be the better value, and since I don't want to throw away money for nothing, I go with Yamaha. But, again, Marantz is a fine brand.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222

I'm currently using a Yamaha RX-A820 and have used the Marantz 5000, 6000 and 7000 series up to the SR7007 in the same room. I use the Yamaha because of its Dialog Lift feature (my center channel is mounted below the screen). I was doing the traditional 7.2 and the Yamaha maps the dialog to your surround speakers which helps lift the dialogue... placing it closer to the center of the screen. It keeps the dialogue directed enough to the front that even sitting off center you aren't thrown off with the dialogue coming from the sides.

Now that I'm using 7.2 with 2 presence speakers (converted the rear surrounds to presence) the feature throws the dialog into the presence speakers (which I mounted close to the center of the screen). I'm presuming now that I'm using presence speakers other brands would help with the low center issue but haven't found a reason to try them yet. The RX-A820 has two HDMI outputs of which I use and I really like how the dialogue is being handled.

Overall sounds wise I find the Marantz receivers to have more punch before and after EQing. The Yamaha receivers (have tried two models) sound a little more clear and directional (the surrounds are more alive). Neither is better and I'm sure many will say there is no difference. In my case the Dialog Lift feature made for a clear winner. As far as better "sound" by stepping up a model or two I didn't hear it. I used a Marantz SR5005 to SR7007.. Yamaha RX-A820 to RX-A3000.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for this.  much appreciated

Quote:

People often get strange ideas about the performance of gear. I have heard people claim that Yamaha amplifiers are "bright." The thing is, if that were really true, it would show up in frequency response measurements. It does not. What this is, is known as the placebo effect, where someone believes some nonsense, and then that is the way they experience it. No one has demonstrated the ability to distinguish between a Yamaha and another good amplifier in a properly conducted double blind test. If people really heard a difference, then they would not need to see what it is that they are hearing to be able to make the distinction.

"HDAM" is for marketing. If it sounded different from other good amplifiers, it would have to distort the signal in some way, which would be bad. For more on that, see this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1509244/help-understanding-marantz-hdam/0_100

There are massive amounts of nonsense that people commonly believe about audio. It is very disturbing. If you want some examples of insanity, take a look at this:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/index.html

And here is a thread about some other nonsense:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511786/audio-woo-at-its-worst-please-try-to-watch-all-the-way-through/0_100

It is truly frightening how gullible people are.

So, be skeptical of claims that people make about audio. Think carefully before you believe anything you read or hear about from anyone. If something seems fishy, it probably is.

Now, back to your problem. In a way, you don't have a problem, because all of the receivers you are looking at are fine. From the standpoint of sounding good, you cannot go wrong with any of them. That is why I recommend the least expensive model that has all the features that you need. Marantz and Yamaha are both fine brands. I personally prefer Yamaha, but it isn't a big deal. I could be perfectly happy with a Marantz. However, whenever I have looked to buy something, Yamaha seems to be the better value, and since I don't want to throw away money for nothing, I go with Yamaha. But, again, Marantz is a fine brand.

4.0 Music / Game / HT

Yamaha RX-A820 AVR
Crown XLS-1500 amp
Klipsch KG 5.5 fronts
Old 06-07-2014, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, sounds like a consensus... I'll go with the best deal I can find between Marz. and Yam. (that has pre-outs and HDMI)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I'm currently using a Yamaha RX-A820 and have used the Marantz 5000, 6000 and 7000 series up to the SR7007 in the same room. I use the Yamaha because of its Dialog Lift feature (my center channel is mounted below the screen). I was doing the traditional 7.2 and the Yamaha maps the dialog to your surround speakers which helps lift the dialogue... placing it closer to the center of the screen. It keeps the dialogue directed enough to the front that even sitting off center you aren't thrown off with the dialogue coming from the sides.

Now that I'm using 7.2 with 2 presence speakers (converted the rear surrounds to presence) the feature throws the dialog into the presence speakers (which I mounted close the center of the screen). I'm presuming now that I'm using presence speakers other brands would help with the low center issue but haven't found a reason to try them yet. The RX-A820 has two HDMI outputs of which I use and I really like how the dialogue is being handled.

Overall sounds wise I find the Marantz receivers to have more punch before and after EQing. The Yamaha receivers (have tried two models) sound a little more clear and directional (the surrounds are more alive). Neither is better and I'm sure many will say there is no difference. In my case the Dialog Lift feature made for a clear winner. As far as better "sound" by stepping up a model or two I didn't hear it. I used a Marantz SR5005 to SR7007.. Yamaha RX-A820 to RX-A3000.

4.0 Music / Game / HT

Yamaha RX-A820 AVR
Crown XLS-1500 amp
Klipsch KG 5.5 fronts