Receiver Suggestions 3,000.00 budget. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 06-05-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My mind is going numb looking thru reviews and comments on receivers, I almost feel more confused now then when I started.

This is going to be in a dedicated theater room powering B&W CDN7NT fronts with matching center and surrounds.
I will be sending a PS4 signal to it along with a Direct TV high def box, CD player and would like some streaming capabilities.
No multi room at this time but possibly in the future.

My biggest requirements in order are as followed

Plenty of power to drive my B&W's as they tend to like power.
Sound quality, at this price range I would like a good 2 channel experience as well as great movie surrounds capability.
Plenty of connections for future upgrades.

I realize that most of what I listed is pretty standard these days. I just want to make sure I am spending my money wisely. My last receiver RX-V2500 was purchased 9 years ago, so I don't upgrade often.

Thanks
Sincerely
Mike...

If guns cause crimes, then pencils cause misspelled words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-05-2014, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 60
For that budget, you can pretty much do what you want with a receiver. What you really have to decide is do you want all the latest and greatest features to be as 'future proof' as possible and can wait a little while longer? If so then you will have even more options available soon as most major manufacturers are in the process of rolling out their new models. The biggest thing there is going to be all the new '4K' support (HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2) with some miscellaneous features here and there (namely bluetooth and wifi support across most if not all of a product line). If you don't already have or are planning to upgrade to 4k for some time then you will be able to find some deals on current/outgoing models that are still excellent. On example would be to get the Marantz SR-7008 for under $2000 and spend the other $1000 on a 2-ch amp for the front towers. This is still a feature packed receiver that has been well regarded for sound quality. Another option for the same price is the Anthem MRX-710. Arguably even better sound quality and has the 'Anthem Room Correction' (ARC) software shared with its far more expensive pre-pros but has far less extra features that the Marantz has. Also the Anthem cant do dual subwoofer calibration like the Marantz can due to the Marantz using Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with Sub EqHT. Either receiver would be sweet with the B&W's so it's really a matter of what features do you need/want. If you are not opposed to getting refurbished units, you can save even more money on the Marantz or the current Denon flagship (AVR-4520) or Onkyo from sites like accessories4less.com and spend more on separate amps. Lots of options to choose from. You just need to determine what your priorities are. If you are interested in Denon or Marantz and want to stay with new stock you can hop onto the denon and marantz threads and contact JDSmoothie who is a dealer and can probably get you some good prices. Good luck.

Eric

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #3 of 22 Old 06-06-2014, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you esappy!

I am going to look over the equipment you have listed for sure.
At this time I am leaning toward the Yamaha 3030. I have had great experience with my current Yamaha and tend to be brand loyal. But this is a pricy upgrade and want to get it right. I tend to like all the bells and whistles when looking at new gear and find I hardly ever utilize the stuff to its full potential.

Thanks
Mike.

post #4 of 22 Old 06-06-2014, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMAN180 View Post

I tend to like all the bells and whistles when looking at new gear and find I hardly ever utilize the stuff to its full potential.

I am totally guilty of this too. Like the saying goes, "there is no replacement for displacement." I may not need it but I sure like knowing its there just in case. biggrin.gif

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #5 of 22 Old 06-07-2014, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 187
tbh once you start looking at that sort of budget I'd be looking at av pre-power. ATI 1803 is $1300 so put the rest in a av pre.

I'd far prefer that setup over a Yamaha 3030

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #6 of 22 Old 06-07-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I had the Yamaha 3020 and switched to the Anthem MRX-700 then to the 710. The Anthem was definitely an improvement over the Yamaha. I also had Marantz flagship before the Yamaha. Each has its advantages but sound quality goes to the Anthem.

If you go with a receiver with Audyssey like Marantz, Denon or Onkyo, the Audyssey Pro kit is highly recommended if the receiver is capable. It does make a noticeable difference in sound quality and has some tweaking options.

I liked the Yamaha for its features and you can manually tweak it EQ but you need your own measuring equipment.

The Anthem room correction has a nice quick measure feature which helps find the best placements for speakers/ subs and seating.

If your speakers need more power than none of these are going to satisfy you and a separate amp would be recommended. If you use amps and an Anthem receiver you could save some $ and use the MRX-510 if you are just using it as a pre-amp as you would not need the extra power of the 710.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-10-2014, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies.

post #8 of 22 Old 06-10-2014, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Anthem 510 with an Emotiva amp such as the XPA-5.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-10-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

Anthem 510 with an Emotiva amp such as the XPA-5.

or maybe just xpa-3 or ATI 1803

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #10 of 22 Old 06-10-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
If I had that kind of budget for a receiver, the only one I would even consider is the Cambridge Audio 751R, which I see selling for $2700.

For both excellent sound quality and awesome power, there is nothing that can touch it IMO.

Actually, for $2000, the 651R is also excellent; most people would be totally happy with it.

Either one has the power supplies and amplifiers to drive any speakers you can connect.

It has far more REAL power reserves than a number of other receivers that make similar power claims; its power supply has 3 times the capacity of most others.
post #11 of 22 Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

So I looked over the CA 751R and it really looks like a great choice until you get to room correction. I am not sure in my ability to correctly setup everything for HT and it sound like it is almost a must with its lack of bass correction. I enjoy 2 channel music occasionally but it's main duty will be movies. I do own a SPL meter and can read a tape measure so I can probably make attempts at manually setting everything up.
Decisions decisions. Lol.
Thank you for the response and yet another contender to mull over.

post #12 of 22 Old 06-10-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Do what you need to but please forget the idiotic and completely baseless "power games".

300 watts vs 100 watts? 4 decibels of output, "headroom" or whatever the newest buzzword is. Four.

Look at what you really need and choose accordingly.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #13 of 22 Old 06-10-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 80
If you have a $3k budget for a receiver save at least $100 for a usb measurement mic and boom type stand.
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-umm-6-usb-measurement-microphone--390-808

Even with xt32 verify the results. It usually won't be as good as you expected/wanted. It is a pain but oh so effective. Don't bother with test tones and a sound meter. Yamaha 3030 has one important feature nobody else has. Manual digital eq on all channels. Especially the subwoofer. XT32 is much better than ypao and everything else except maybe anthem arc. The auto eq stuff in boutique brands like nad and Cambridge are crap. A smooth eq is not the only factor in highest quality sound possible. Just like the most powerful external amp is not a cure all.

Still for pristine sound control of room behavior is a must. Position and crossover the sub based on room results. Add room treatments depending on listening position measurement results. Fix the bad rooms and/or bad eq graphs. The software is free and easy to use (rew). Buy the mic to get accurate room measurements. Only $100 to eq properly. Then decide if you need xt pro, dirac or external eq. The cleanest amp is not that great with huge dips and peaks in db.
SUPERMAN180 likes this.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-08-2014, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to all that have responded!! After much debate, reading reviews and personal opinions I finally decided to go with the latest Yamaha offering the new RXA-3040. I have been extremely pleased with my rxv2500 so that was a big part of making this selection.

I will receive the unit next week and hope to have it up and running along with my new epson 5030ub projector I ordered as well.

Again thanks for the advice I am sure I will have some questions regarding setup and things of that nature in the future.

Mike.

post #15 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
how much power output does the top yamaha with 5 & 7 channels active? are limited the same like previous models to 60 / 70 watts per channel?
post #16 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMAN180 View Post
My mind is going numb looking thru reviews and comments on receivers, I almost feel more confused now then when I started.

This is going to be in a dedicated theater room powering B&W CDN7NT fronts with matching center and surrounds.
I will be sending a PS4 signal to it along with a Direct TV high def box, CD player and would like some streaming capabilities.
No multi room at this time but possibly in the future.

My biggest requirements in order are as followed

Plenty of power to drive my B&W's as they tend to like power.
Sound quality, at this price range I would like a good 2 channel experience as well as great movie surrounds capability.
Plenty of connections for future upgrades.

I realize that most of what I listed is pretty standard these days. I just want to make sure I am spending my money wisely. My last receiver RX-V2500 was purchased 9 years ago, so I don't upgrade often.

Thanks
Sincerely
Mike...
If $3000 is your budget for a AVR, you'd be mad not going av pre-power.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #17 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

That's your amp done

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7200.html

http://www.classicaudioparts.com/ind...tock-120v.html

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #18 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

I got the receiver for a pretty good deal, 1860.00 so I'm going to take advantage on the savings and apply the money elsewhere. I have always been happy with the output of my 2500 so this should work.

post #19 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

LOL 63W per channel

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...eceiver-page-4

Honestly who on earh buys AVR's if $2000 gets you a 63W power amplifier???

Even this outclasses the Yamaha

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7075.html

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #20 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Your speakers drop down to 3 ohm

http://www.timefordvd.com/hardware/r...speakers.shtml

Look into dedicated power. Another reason not to get a AVR.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #21 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have always been happy with the output of my 2500 so this should work.
You've probably never heard your speakers taken to their full potential? I was happy with my Yamaha AVR until I tried a dedicated quality stereo integrated amp. Thought it sounded great. How wrong I was.

Have you tried a good 2 channel stereo amp? (compare 2 channel to your Yamaha). If "all amps sound the same" you won't notice the difference but I bet you would. Or tried off loading amplifier from your Yamaha to a power amp?

You have nice speakers they demand something better than a $2000 AV amp that folds into a mess with 4ohm speakers and only provide 63W into 8ohm. In fact that Yamaha isn't even 63W, that output is at 1khz!

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #22 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 02:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by traianescu View Post
how much power output does the top yamaha with 5 & 7 channels active? are limited the same like previous models to 60 / 70 watts per channel?
If you drive seven channels with correlated sine waves, it will put out less power than it will with two channels driven. It could be considered misleading in a sense to say a receiver produces 100x7 watts when it can't do it with all channels driven. I know the feeling, been down that road. But you also have to consider the real world goal of an AVR is to play movies, not sine waves.

With real world loads, I think you are getting a lot closer to the per channel peak rating. Audioholics uses a dynamic load test which shows receivers performing very well. THX used similar methods.

I guess it comes down to whether you believe driving seven channels with correlated sine waves ( meaning every channels peaks identically at the same time,) tells us much about a receiver's real word behavior. I used to think it had some value, after further though, reading technical literature and trying out various receivers over the years I don't concern myself with such things. There's always the option of somewhat affordable Outlaw and Emo amps if you have hard to drive speakers and like it loud.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page