AVS Forum banner

Denon AVR-X7200W 9.2/11.2ch 2014/2015 Receiver Details-

Tags
avr-x7200w
469K views 6K replies 468 participants last post by  chise1960 
#1 ·
Image from AVCeasar-

http://www.avcesar.com/actu/id-14413/denon-avr-x7200w-92-hdmi-20-upscaling-uhd-4k-bis.html

Just saw the details listed here with a European January 2015 release date (US maybe sooner?)-

http://www.hdfever.fr/2014/06/06/denon-avr-x7200w/

It looks like the Atmos 3D Audio could come via firmware update down the track and not immediatly on release if I'm reading that correctly?

13.2 Pre outs

Also will the upcoming new Denon Pre/Pro be the only model to have THX certification?

Denon AVR-X7200W translate specs from HDFever-
Quote:
- 9.2 Amplification: 9 x 150 watts into 8 ohms (200 W / 6 Ohms)

- DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD and Prologic IIz, Audyssey DSX, DTS-Neo-X

- Compatible DSD 5.1 optimized via Denon Link HD

- 8 inputs and 3 HDMI 2.0 ARC 3D, Deep Color, xvColor, 1080/24p, CEC, 4K/60 Passthrough, Zone 2

- Pure Color: UHD 12-bit 4:4:4 and 24p (4:4:4 10-bit and 60 im / s)

- Sources 3/3 areas: ability to stream different connected via HDMI HDMI HDMI out + Zone 2 sources

- InstaPrevue (PIP HDMI)

- Video processor V8003 Analog Device AD: 1080p upscaling, and 2160p/60 video configurable after treatment

- ISF Certification

- Audyssey MultEQ XT32 Pro Ready, Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ and Audyssey LFC

- Variable cut off frequency

- DAC 192/32, three 32-bit DSP, Denon transistors and monolithic cirtui amplifcation for low noise

- Circuit DDSC-HD32 with AL32 Processing Plus

- Denon HD LINK (Coaxial) reduction technology Clock Jitter Reducer

- DLNA, AirPlay, Windows 7 & 8, UPnP, Wi-Fi and integrated Bluetooth

- Graphical OSD and 3D color with setup wizard

- USB & UPnP: FLAC 192/24, WMA, MP3, AAC, WAV 192/24, ALAC 96/24, DSD 128, AIFF, Gapless playback

- DLNA 1.5: Network Streaming, Automatic Update, vTuner Internet Radio, Flickr, Spotify

- Made for iPad / iPod / iPhone: Direct connection via USB, Denon Remote App

- Pure Audio mode, Compressed Audio Restorer, Direct

- 7.1 and 13.2 PREOUT analog input

- 5 x RCA Phono 1 MM, 3in/3out Composite, 2 Optical, 2 Coaxial, FM antenna, Ethernet, 2 preout Sub, Front USB, 11 pairs of terminals, two pairs of terminals in the Assignable Surround Back or Bi-amping, or Speakers B, 2 x - 12v trigger, IR in / out, detachable power cord.

- Zone 2 (audio / video (composite, component or HDMI) and Zone 3 (audio)

- Optimization of bass for the front speakers if used without subwoofer

- Front with two buttons (source volume) and hatch

- Sleep Timer function for the transition to standby mode adjustable up to 120 minutes in increments of 10 minutes

- Audio Level Memory function capable of compensating for different signal levels between each input source.

- Available in January 2015, Silver or Black indicative prices of 2800 €

See less See more
#1,457 ·
When I order a WA I am expecting a unit made in Japan and shipped sealed to Canada. I became interested when someone stated that the printing on their case still says W. I am wondering if WA units made in Japan should have printing on the case saying WA or will it still be W + Stickers saying WA. JD says they may just be trying to use up W cases........

This got me thinking........maybe Denon is pulling unsold W's from their Canadian and US warehouses and modifying them to WA's........... but I waited to get a WA because I wanted a factory produced unit.......not a unit tampered with and handled and taken apart. To me that unit is a serviced unit and not brand new.........also.......if these were modified W stock vs new build WA's this was supposed to mean the front input is not HDCP 2.2 and I may need the 2.2 on the front input.

I am not even sure if there is any issue here, but there might be for me. I would like to know ........ I will have to talk to the dealer and see if the Denon rep can give some firm info.

#1,462 ·
I have a March/May European unit that started as a W model, now with the paid (199,00 euro) upgrade a WA model.
Received a new manual and DVD, and a sticker set to put on the Original box to ad the A.
Board was sent to me in a new complete receiver box, also the outer box, with all the inner box stuff so the receiver can be sent in an Original box if the customer will not have that any more.
Shipment is for free both ways.
I asked about the front HDMI (before the upgrade) and dealer confirmed that also the front will be 2.2, and again, why not ?
Its just a wire and a HDMI port from the board to the front, so they just have to plug it in (i guess)......

S/no 5021500349

#1,472 ·
I had the board in my hands and its just pushing it into some connectors and a few screws.
No "new" front HDMI port, the excisting one is used.

As mentioned, i did get a new quick WA manual and a new CD-rom with 2015 on it, the W version DVD is 2014.

Any one interested to buy the "classic" X7200W CD-rom, it will go up in value in the coming month/years, collectors will be all over it....... :D

Attachments

#1,473 ·
I had a bussy time the last 3-4 years concerning receivers.
Never could get a receiver that had all the stuff in it i wanted, up until now with the 7200 !
Here a list of owned and used receivers (and not the cheap ones).

Onkyo TX-NR5010
Onkyo TX-NR876
Onkyo TX-NR818
Marantz SR 7500
Marantz 1603
Marantz AV8801
Marantz MM8077
Marantz SR 7007
Integra DHC 80.6
Integra DTA 70.1
Integra DTR 70.6

And yes, i like this hobby :D

#1,476 · (Edited)
I actually liked my Onkyo 5508 more than the Denon 4520CI.
For several reasons, non of which had anything to do with sound quality - which were to my ears the exact same when I used the same Audyssey mic for both and setup each unit in the same manner.

In this order
I liked the All channel stereo better on the Onkyo than the Denon in multichannel stereo which is 100% attributed to the fact the Onkyo raised the Left and Right channel levels by 3dB in All Channel Stereo when the Denon played them all level matched. This gave the Onkyo a front sound stage in all channel stereo that the Denon lacked.
I liked the ease of subwoofer adjustment better on the Onkyo
I liked the remote better on the Onkyo
I liked the Android App better for the Onkyo than the Denon

Negatives agains the Onkyo when compared to the Denon. The Onkyo's Audyssey took longer to process, The Onkyo 5508's gui replaced the video input entirely while the Denon just overlaid the picture. The music restorer function was better on the Denon than the Onkyo. I've found "low" to be excellent for MP3 use.

Overall, if it were between the 4520 and the 5508 I would have kept the 5508.

As mentioned - Sound Quality was identical to my ears when using the the exact same Audyssey mic and crossover settings, SPL level matched with omnimic etc.

However the 7200 seems to be a clear enough ugrade from the 5508 that I will be keeping it instead. Again not sound quality related but Atmos is excellent, and Dolby Surround Upmix function seems good, and the ease of adjusting channel levels per DSP mode and input mode is incredibly accessible on the new Denon - BRAVO!!! --- just hit the audio button. Now my multichannel stereo can have the front L/R elevated to get the sound stage I like, without affecting my other input sources. Heck any input can have the levels adjusted without going to the overall channel levels that effect ever input -- and (unlike the Onkyo) when you adjust these settings (outside of the main overall channel trims) they stay put after a power off. Easy accessiblilty to subwoofer trims, as often as I mess with subwoofer trims, is a big
deal!

I'm really enjoying the 7200 so far.

I haven't gone through as many receivers as CBdicX, but in the last decade I've owned.

Denon 5300, Onkyo SR-805, Onkyo NR-1007, Onkyo NR-818, Onkyo SC-5508, Denon 4520ci, Denon x7200.

I also put my hands on quite a few different 'flagship' receivers at the 2014 AutoRoom EQ AVR comparison I hosted. I've come to the conclusion, that when you take away EQ, these receivers all sound very similiar - down to the $400 Onkyo we had in the mix. When you add EQ - they'll all be different but not necessarily better than the other --- that's all subjective. And when you add in the mic variances that occur within even the same brand of EQ - you might have two flagship Denons that sound very different in room post calibration based on two unique Audyssey XT32 mics. I don't get too excited about brand anymore. Just get the features you want at the price you can afford. Call it a day. I saw a $400 Onkyo 636 arguably beat Denon, Sherwood, Yamaha, Anthem, Pioneer Elit, and Onkyo Flagship receivers at that blind meet. So I wouldn't have any qualm about buying a cheap Onkyo receiver if it had the features I wanted. It doesn't. The Denon 7200 has all the features I like, loads of bells and whistles, and some bonuses like super easy channel adjustment, fast gui, atmos, etc. It's a winner, and like CBdicX, perhaps the first AVR I've ever owned where, at least so far, I don't have any minor feature complaints, or even any discovered annoyances.

#1,478 ·
I'm a bit disappointed that 7200 as a $3K flagship model does not have AC speed on it's WiFi, but seems like only g/n. Isn't it correct? Can't find specs on it in the manual or online, but in the manual it mentions 2.4Ghz channel, which automatically means no 5Ghz band of AC. Maybe it's not even "n" then? :confused:

#1,483 ·
They are EQd as a summed response -- remember that the SW channel is a single mono output (LFE + redirected bass) and the entire sub system produces it as a combined unit. So the EQ is applied to the combined unit, since that combined bass array is going to be interacting with your room as a combined unit.

So it's better than a Y split because you have independent level and time alignment, but the final EQd signal is identical to both outputs.

#1,488 · (Edited)
What am i doing wrong ?

I get subwoofer in all the surround modes, but not with Stereo and Multi Channel Stereo.
Why is this and how do i get sub in MCS and Stereo ?
(also MCS is not activating the Height speakers.......)

PS. found how to activate the Height speakers in MCS mode, but still no subwoofer for Stereo and MCS......

#1,493 ·
I am having some problems myself. I am running full range no subs and I am trying to set up amp assign and cannot set a config that I want. I know with my 4520, I could do 7.1 and run the front's as pre. However I cannot seem to do the same with the X7200WA. I want to run a 7 speaker set up, no sub and I want to run a separate amp to power the front 2 mains. Does anybody know how I should set up the amp assign. I am basically letting the 7200 power my center and surrounds. What am I missing? FYI my mains are plenty capable of running full range with no subs. They are subs!! LOL Thanks

#1,496 ·
So I went into my Denon 7200wa and enabled IP scaler to Auto instead of off and now when I hit source on my Samsung JS9000 it says 3840x2160 UHD instead of just 1920x1080 HD.

I then went to General>Info in the Denon and under video HDMI source info its says
1080p/24 YCBR 4:4:4 12bit and then 4K/24 YCBR 4:2:0 8bit... this is obviously source dependent and I was watching a Blu Ray.

It's different when I'm watching Comcast but I guess my question is should I turn off IP scaler?

It's cool to see the UHD logo when I hit source on the JS9000 and added resolution but am I hurting my picture quality?

#1,504 ·
So I went into my Denon 7200wa and enabled IP scaler to Auto instead of off and now when I hit source on my Samsung JS9000 it says 3840x2160 UHD instead of just 1920x1080 HD.

I then went to General>Info in the Denon and under video HDMI source info its says
1080p/24 YCBR 4:4:4 12bit and then 4K/24 YCBR 4:2:0 8bit... this is obviously source dependent and I was watching a Blu Ray.

It's different when I'm watching Comcast but I guess my question is should I turn off IP scaler?

It's cool to see the UHD logo when I hit source on the JS9000 and added resolution but am I hurting my picture quality?
I use the Sammy 65HU8500 and find it best with IP scaler OFF.
The scaler of the TV is "better" then the stuff in the Denon, and the least conversions, the better it is.
But i do use ISF.
Normal brightness i use Night mode, and when the movie is to dark i use ISF Day mode.
The TV i have on standard "Natural" picture mode with the color set to Cool.

#1,497 ·
The only question is whether the 4K scaler in the receiver is doing a better job than the 4K scaler built into the TV. Use some demo material and turn the i/p scaler on/off and see if you can tell a difference. Let your eyes be the judge. The setting is easy to switch if you use the IP control via a web browser (e.g. sit there with an tablet or laptop and change the setting to see a fairly instantaneous switch).

#1,501 ·
I'd like to know if I have all amps for my 5200 lower 7. Channels, can I then reconfigure and utilize the internal avr amps for all 4. Ceiling speakers?
All 7.1.4 speakers are setup with their own amps, I just want to know if the denon I have can do this. If it can I will read up more thoroughly . Maybe I can eliminate some of the 20 amps I have hooked up. Some are bridged and others dual stereo configured . A pair of 4 channeled amps etc.
Thanks

PeterV

#1,506 · (Edited)
I think the Denon 7200 scaler helps make DVD playback from my Sony Playstation 4 look better.

Without the Denon's IP Scaler on, the image quality from the PS4 on my 144" screen looks distractingly bad on my 1080P Pansasonic 8000 projector. With the IP scaler on - the image quality is acceptable. The PS4 is also supposedly upscaling. Maybe I need to disable the PS4's upscaling, and only use the Denon, or maybe the combination of both is working. I suppose, I need to do more testing, but I'm satisified with the DVD image quality right now...

#1,509 ·
I think an TV upscaler that is designed specific for that model and TV line, will do a better job then a "one size fits all" scaler like all the AVR brands have and use.
But just try it, with and without the IP scaler or upsclaer, and see if it will improve or not.
I see no bennefit in using the IP sclaer with my Samsung 65HU8500.
The IP scaler is adding artifacts and makes the image a bit erratic.
So i do without, i do use the upscaler on Source mode so i will get the AVR menu on screen and keep all on the least amount of conversions possible.....

#1,511 ·
Dumb question. I have been contemplating the move to pre/pro setup. I am looking at the X7200WA and realize the power specs are quoted for 2 channels driven. I use Klipsch speakers and sub cutover is 100Hz so clearly I don't think I am taxing the receiver that badly even when I run reference volumes. You never see receivers specify what thy can do with all channels driver. Looking at the max power consumption numbers you can tell that at full load they can't drive anywhere near max power to all channels. I am sure that under normal use they are not pushed that hard, but having that reserve for the dynamic swings would be nice. Am I wasting money going with an X7200WA then adding an Outlaw 7125? Or should I wait for the Marantz AV7702 MKII which should basically be the pre version of a X7200WA without the AMSP and add the Outlaw to that?

My room is 15x20x8 and I run Klipsch RP-280F, RC62ii and RS35 surrounds.

#1,512 ·
The 7200 is very similar to the 4520, and in a test, the 4520 measured about 110w, 7 channels driven, and your Klipsch speakers are pretty sensitive.
I subscribe to better amps, so if you really want to upgrade, save the money first, use the internal amps first, and get something more substantial than the Outlaw 7125.
The 7702 is apparently based on the Denon 4100 rather than the 7200.
But I know some will subscribe to the advantages of using a dedicated processor - am looking at that myself too.
So you can partner the 7125 and 7702, but I don't know if that combination will be vastly superior to the 7200 with your Klipsch speakers.

#1,514 ·
my Denon X7200 arrived today

and I'll write a long opinion tomorrow - but FINALLY - its an AVR that can replace my Pioneer AX10Ai (59TXi)

it sounds fantastic - I've bought and sold-on 4 "HDMI" AVRs since owning the Pioneer and all were sold on at a loss

that last one was a Denon 4311 - which I really really didn't get on with at all - knew as soon as I tried it at home (I had demoed - 2 channel in a store) that it wasn't to my liking - but was too late by that point and had to sell on at a loss

well the X7200 (ok different room and speaker layout) - sounds fantastic, its got the separation of the mixes of the Pioneer, and also the dynamics at volume

the Denon 4311 would go "loud" but to me sounded flat

#1,515 · (Edited)
Interesting, I just ordered my X7200WA, got BB down to $2600 and $250 for Geek 4 year warranty with 12 months 0% financing and since I am Elite Plus I get 45 day return period. . I too am coming form the 4311. I have been OK with the 4311, but never felt it lived up to my older 4308 or even my 4802R before that. The 4311 is a nice AVR, I just think Denon got lost there a little with the huge gap from 4311 and 5308A. I am glad I skipped the 4520, not because it was not a great AVR, but the 72o0 seems like Denon is back to being real seriously in the upper end AVR space.

#1,516 ·
Interesting, I just ordered my X7200WA, got BB down to $2600 and $250 for Geek 4 year warranty with 12 months 0% financing and since I am Elite Plus I get 45 day return period. . I too am coming form the 4311. I have been OK with the 4311, but never felt it lived up to my older 4308 or even my 4802R before that. The 4311 is a nice AVR, I just think Denon got lost there a little with the huge gap from 4311 and 5308A. I am glad I skipped the 4520, not because it was not a great AVR, but the 72o0 seems like Denon is back to being real seriously in the upper end AVR space.
Ouch! For a couple reasons not to mention the AVR comes with a 3 year warranty and your credit card likely adds a 4th. :(

#1,517 ·
True, but I have had great experiences with BB, they do full replacements. They took a TV back past return period last year because of an issue because I had the warranty. Would rather not have to ship receiver back and forth to Denon, let them worry about it. Also It has been good on resale as the receivers I have sold with remaining Geek warranty have sold very fast and easy.

#1,519 ·
Actually did, from posts on here Eric and Sound Distributors in NV was awesome, he offered me a slightly better deal. BBS would not match it directly but came within $100 so the slight premium for local customer service and easy returns and repairs is worth it to me. I am going to order the Klipsch RP-280F pair form Eric as No one locally with budge on price so saving few hundred from Eric is worth it, besides speakers generally either work or don;t right out of the box.

#1,522 ·
I actually like Klipsch, and the room size kind of makes RF-7 obnoxious. I almost went Mirage a while back, but did not like the way they handled low bass.