Denon x2000 vs Yamaha RXA1030 - which one to get - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-07-2014, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to decide between the Denon x2000 vs the Yamaha RXA1030 receiver for my new home theatre room. Both have similar features. Any issues I should know about either and which do you think is better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-07-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Besides the $500 - $700 price difference? The x2000 is only $399 now.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX2000/Denon-AVR-X2000-IN-Command.html?tp=179

The Yamaha has dual HDMI outputs and a full set of preamp outputs so that you can add external amplification. It has more features than the x2000.

The x4000 would be a better comparison for the Yammy 1030.

Afro GT
post #3 of 8 Old 06-07-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's interesting. I have two quotes from AV companies in our area and one of them recommended the Denon x2000. Do I need to go as high end as the Yamaha? I am looking for a decent quality system but not too crazy. I will use a JVC x35 projector and either Totem Tribe in wall speakers (reco from one supplier) or monitor audio SP2 speakers (other supplier and the one that reco'd the Denon).
post #4 of 8 Old 06-07-2014, 10:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 444
The x2000 may be all you need. If so you'll save a lot of money that you could put towards a subwoofer or something else.

Are the local AV companies offering the same price for the x2000?

Afro GT
post #5 of 8 Old 06-08-2014, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
like the man said, the x2000 is all you need, and save money. i always like it when i hear = its all you need, good enough for you,or save money. way back in the day i went into a big stereo store and asked why the yamaha 50 watt per channel was $465.00 and why was the sony 135 watt per channel only $375.00, well sound quality, distortion. anyway im a yamaha fan, have been one for 40 + years. now if you want something with all the bells and whistles, something thats been around for 40 years that i know of, and you feel that you get what you pay for, well then the yamaha. i bought the yamaha rx-a1020 about a month ago to upgrade from my old yamaha rx-v620 and have no regrets at all. there is nothing wrong with my old rx-v620, just wanted something with the newest tech. ive been nothing but happy with it. i think the heart of any good surround sound system is going to be your receiver, you can pick up deals on speakers down the road, but i would want to buy a used receiver, speakers yes. you can buy a set of used good speakers and if one of them is blown you can replace the speaker inside itself, at a fraction of the cost of buying new. even if you cant find the speaker, woofer, tweeter or midrange, you can send it out and have it rebuilt. have already checked into it. if you can wait then the yamaha rx-a1030 will go down in price. i paid $699.00 for my 1020. i have a feeling the 1030 will do the same in a while.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-15-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just bought both of these so I'll share my impressions.

The x2000 is a fantastic value at $399. It has an intuitive menu system which is pleasing to use. It does have power and can get loud, but it sounds hollow, tinny and brassy. It also struggles to get the high volumes if you are really pushing it and needs to be cranked to almost half up to actually hear it. I think the 95 w per channel is overstated. Another annoying aspect is you lose tone controls if you opt to use the automatic sound calibration which is a problem when you have a tinny amp.

The a1030 on the other hand has a horrific and confusing menu system which appears to be written shortly after DOS was popular. There are valuable features that are disabled and buried in a laberanth of menus (the ability to use your subs when listening to 2 or multi channel stereo is disabled by default and turned on by the "extra bass" feature, for example).

Sound wise the Yamaha is a dream though. It completely blew away the Denon in every aspect. It is warm and room filling and barely even tries to produce volumes that will damage your ears. The tone controls are also still present even if you use the automatic calibration.

I ended up deciding on the Yamaha but the crutchfield rep said the discounted Marantz sr-7007 was a much better receiver than the Yamaha so I tried it. It shares the menu system with the denon but supposedly had better amps. I was awesomely disappointed when I hooked it up as it sounded just like the denon with more power. Not only that it only allows surround back OR zone 2. One set of speaker outs rather than a selectable amp option like the Yamaha for an either / or setup. The Marantz got sent back the same day.

So I'm back to the Yamaha which will be here next week.

To summarize, think of the Denon as a tuned 4 cylinder turbo with a fart can exhaust and the Yamaha as a 8 cylinder muscle car. Both are powerful, but the v8 does it much smoother.

If you are looking to get something and hooking up to Bose speakers, the Denon will be fine. If you are serious about movies and music, spend the more than double on the Yamaha.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-15-2014, 12:12 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Liked: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post

The x2000 is a fantastic value at $399. It has an intuitive menu system which is pleasing to use. It does have power and can get loud, but it sounds hollow, tinny and brassy. It also struggles to get the high volumes if you are really pushing it and needs to be cranked to almost half up to actually hear it. I think the 95 w per channel is overstated. Another annoying aspect is you lose tone controls if you opt to use the automatic sound calibration which is a problem when you have a tinny amp.
Luckily not the same experience the majority have with Denon AVRs, however, a couple of points to pass on for your help. Denon and Marantz AVRs use a logarithmic volume scale such that any real volume is not experienced unless the volume is raised to 50% of maximum with the average volume level roughly 50-70% of maximum for most listening. Also, the Tone Controls do indeed work with Audyssey, rather you simply need to set the Dyn EQ setting to OFF.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-15-2014 at 12:21 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-15-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post

Luckily not the same experience the majority have with Denon AVRs, however, a couple of points to pass on for your help. Denon and Marantz AVRs use a logarithmic volume scale such that any real volume is not experienced unless the volume is raised to 50% of maximum with the average volume level roughly 50-70% of maximum for most listening. Also, the Tone Controls do indeed work with Audyssey, rather you simply need to set the Dyn EQ setting to OFF.
I really wanted to like the Denon but I could not. I've also read reviews that point out the "bright" sound at higher volumes so I'm sure it's not just me. But I'm glad others like it.

I came from a 14 year old onkyo that had that smooth power I referenced above with the Yamaha so I had a sound in mind that I liked.

You are correct about the eq - if turned off it would allow the tone controls. What was frustrating is that it lost all dimension when it was turned off and I just wanted to trick down the trebble to curb the brightness.

That's interesting about the volume. It gave the impression it had a lack of power and it had to be turned up which in turn caused more brassy-ness. I did like that you could choose between absolute and relative (db) scales though which the Yamaha does not have. It also overheated and shut down during my testing. The Yamaha is much cooler at similar levels (likely because it is not turned up as loud for the same volume).

Ultimately I wanted an onkyo but the lack of AirPlay (why???) was a deal breaker.

Last edited by spta97; 06-15-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - X2000 by PriceGrabber.com