Please Help this noob and new homeowner!!Thank you! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Guys,

I just bought a new house and I will be moving to my new place in 1 week.

this new place has multiroom speaker system (ceiling) with wall volume control (in each room) through out the house.
I have a few questions on how to get a good receiver without having to overpay since I will build a dedicated HT system on my basement later on.

I have this panasonic home theater system that I basically use as an extension of my TV speaker. http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/SC-PT770
I basically use as 3:1 and connect to my TV via optic cable, and if I am watching TV or bluray I just turn this HT on and put on digital input.

I would like to continue to use it for the same purpose on my new home.

1. I understand I need a speaker selector to connect my multi room speakers. Like this, correct?http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-109995-4-Channel-Speaker-Selector/dp/B00DIGD604/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402232782&sr=8-1&keywords=speaker+selector
My question is: which device should I buy to connect this speaker selector?

I was checking the yamaha 375 (http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V375-R-5-1-Channel-Refurbished-Receiver/dp/B00IO8JGA0/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i). I would connect my bluray, comcast box to this receiver via HDMI. If I do that, I can continue to output sound to my HT panasonic speakers as long as I have the TV connected to the HT via optical cable (the way it is set up right now), right?

2. Now, how I would connect the speaker selector to the yamaha receiver? If you look at the back, there is no specific slots for speaker wires apart from the 5 ones for a 5.1 system (front speakers, center and surround). Should I connect the speaker selector to the front speaker slot? If I do that, how I would output the sound to the ceiling speaker if I want to watch TV or bluray? I guess I would just to turn on/off on the speaker selector?

3. If I decide to add 3 speakers (2 front and 1 center) later on to function as a sound bar to my tv (replacing my old HT panasonic), Would I still be able to do that knowing that I already used 2 slots for the speaker selector? Would I connect them on the center and surround slots, even If I am not using as a surround?

4. I have no plans on doing 5.1 surround on my living room. I just want to connect my multi room speakers(via speaker selector) and maybe add another set of speakers (2 or 3) in the future to work as a soundbar to my TV. Having that in mind, is the yamaha 375 a good option or should I buy something else? what would you recommend? I know there are receivers with zone 2 that I could connect my speaker selector, but do I need that since I have no plans to do surround sound? If a buy a stereo receiver I won't be able to connect my bluray or comcast to it, but would have to connect to my TV and more wires would be visible.

really appreciate your time. thank you!!

Davi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Don't try to use that Panasonic with anything but the speakers that it came with. I think that's what you're saying up there, but just want to make sure.

That speaker switch looks fine. I see that it mentions having an impedance protection circuit, which is a must. Although the 375 will work, I would recommend something with more power if you're going to be driving several sets of speakers. See if you can find a 675 on sale--the new 677s are coming out now so 675s are being discounted. For the time being, you would just connect the speaker selector to the "front" L and R jacks on the receiver. If you ever want to add more "home theater" type speakers as fronts and a center, then you could move the ceiling speakers to the Zone 2 jacks. (FYI when you see a receiver with "Zone 2" or "Zone B," it has nothing to do with home theater or surround. Those are intended to supply sound to other rooms, like you're doing.)
davivascaino likes this.

post #3 of 6 Old 06-08-2014, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

Don't try to use that Panasonic with anything but the speakers that it came with. I think that's what you're saying up there, but just want to make sure.

That speaker switch looks fine. I see that it mentions having an impedance protection circuit, which is a must. Although the 375 will work, I would recommend something with more power if you're going to be driving several sets of speakers. See if you can find a 675 on sale--the new 677s are coming out now so 675s are being discounted. For the time being, you would just connect the speaker selector to the "front" L and R jacks on the receiver. If you ever want to add more "home theater" type speakers as fronts and a center, then you could move the ceiling speakers to the Zone 2 jacks. (FYI when you see a receiver with "Zone 2" or "Zone B," it has nothing to do with home theater or surround. Those are intended to supply sound to other rooms, like you're doing.)

Thank you so much for your answer.

SO I guess the most important thing is getting one with zone 2 in case I want to add more speakers down the road. However, if I use zone 2, I can't output sound from the other sources connected to zone 1 correct? Is that a way to correct that?

How much power do you recommend? Do you have other models of receivers you recommend apart from 675?

Thank you again!
post #4 of 6 Old 06-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Good call re how the 675 handles Zone 2--you'll only ever be able to get analog sources out of Zone 2. You actually have to either (a) go up to the 775, which has something called Party Mode that outputs the same input (digital or analog) to both zones (however, it downmixes it to Stereo meaning that you'd lose multichannel from your "TV" speakers), or (b) go down to the 575, which has also has a second zone which can only output what's playing in the main zone (and, at least from the manual, it will not be downmixed in the main zone). So the question is power. How loudly are you planning on playing the ceiling speakers? How many of them are there?

I'm sure that there are Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, etc., models that can do everything you need as well, but I only know about the Yamaha model line.
davivascaino likes this.

post #5 of 6 Old 06-09-2014, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

Good call re how the 675 handles Zone 2--you'll only ever be able to get analog sources out of Zone 2. You actually have to either (a) go up to the 775, which has something called Party Mode that outputs the same input (digital or analog) to both zones (however, it downmixes it to Stereo meaning that you'd lose multichannel from your "TV" speakers), or (b) go down to the 575, which has also has a second zone which can only output what's playing in the main zone (and, at least from the manual, it will not be downmixed in the main zone). So the question is power. How loudly are you planning on playing the ceiling speakers? How many of them are there?

I'm sure that there are Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, etc., models that can do everything you need as well, but I only know about the Yamaha model line.

I don't plan to have them loud, I use more as ambient sound. I have speakers on master bedroom, living, dining, kitchen and family room. Thank you again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 Old 06-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

I would ask the power question in the broader RX-Vx75 thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465259/yamaha-rx-v-75-series-owners-thread/1250_50

Hopefully someone with a 575 can chime in and let you know if you can get away with that model at modest volumes.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page