Do audio receivers need to be magnetically shielded? Computer/receiver/speaker proximity question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am building a new table for my computer and I'm thinking of making it 4'x8'.  This is much deeper than normal tables so I've decided to consolidate my equipment into one big bundle. 

As you can see I would like to put the receiver on the bottom and put my monitor and computer on top.  There will probably be a support so the monitor and computer isn't putting their weight on the receiver itself.  The computer will obviously be behind the monitor facing sideways.  Also I have two bookshelf speakers on either side.

The receiver is an older HK 3480 stereo receiver, I have two Infinity P163 speakers, and a 39" Seiki 4k monitor.  The computer is a midtower sized pc. 

My question is, do I have to worry about magnetic shielding or lack thereof?  Do receivers even need magnetic shielding?  I know that lcd monitors don't really care about shielding, its mostly a crt thing, but the computer has a bunch of hard drives in it and they are near the bottom and side of the case.  Everything is within inches of each other, if not actually pressed up against each other.  I also read the Infinity manual and apparently the p163 are shielded.

Any thoughts on my setup? Any foreseeable problems?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Be advised the HK3480 runs hot..
HK recommends a free-air clearance of @ least 4" for the L/R sides and top cover. Also do not stack anything on top of the 3480, it is an excellent receiver but needs ventilation or its reliability will suffer.
Note that the Seki monitor does not require any shielding...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
old corps likes this.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dra001 View Post

I am building a new table for my computer and I'm thinking of making it 4'x8'.  This is much deeper than normal tables so I've decided to consolidate my equipment into one big bundle. 

As you can see I would like to put the receiver on the bottom and put my monitor and computer on top.  There will probably be a support so the monitor and computer isn't putting their weight on the receiver itself.  The computer will obviously be behind the monitor facing sideways.  Also I have two bookshelf speakers on either side.

The receiver is an older HK 3480 stereo receiver, I have two Infinity P163 speakers, and a 39" Seiki 4k monitor.  The computer is a midtower sized pc. 

My question is, do I have to worry about magnetic shielding or lack thereof?  Do receivers even need magnetic shielding?  I know that lcd monitors don't really care about shielding, its mostly a crt thing, but the computer has a bunch of hard drives in it and they are near the bottom and side of the case.  Everything is within inches of each other, if not actually pressed up against each other.  I also read the Infinity manual and apparently the p163 are shielded.

Any thoughts on my setup? Any foreseeable problems?

Thanks

Bad idea. A/V receivers need space around them as M code states. Heat kills electronics!

Ed
Old 06-09-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Very bad idea. That receiver won't last more than a week.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

Old 06-09-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Magnetic shielded speakers were for two reasons. One, a CRT display is influenced heavily by magnetic fields, and putting one near the screen results in visible distortion of the picture. Second, is floppy disks - they can potentially be erased but a sufficiently strong magnetic field.

Modern HDTVs are immune to magnetic fields - LCD and plasma displays simply aren't impacted significantly by an external magnetic field.
Second, who uses floppy disks anymore?

No, hard drives are very immune - in fact, a typical hard drive has several very strong (likely stronger than your speaker ) magnets less than an inch away from your data. Speakers are typically feet away.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well like I said, I was going to mount the computer on a shelf like thing so that the weight isn't on the receiver, what if I make the "shelf" higher so there's a larger space between the receiver and computer?  If heat management is the biggest problem, I'm ok with that, I can design the area for better air flow or even add like a 200mm computer fan.

But as far as the magnetic shielding goes, does my computer need to be protected?  Does a receiver have an magnetic fields emanating from it?

Old 06-09-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I used to have my receiver as an amp for my computer. No issues at all. Nor with the speakers that were close to the computer.

It if was me I would only worry about ensuring the receiver has proper ventilation. The manual often tells you how much is recommended.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I do not think shielding will be an issue. You will have to raise the shelf enough to provide adequate airflow over the AVR, enough room for fans and exhaust path if you go that route. That is probably at least about 3" plus the thickness of the shelf. Add to that the AVR's height and that monitor is probably going to be pretty high...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old 06-10-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You don't need to shield your PC. Like I said, the hard drive is immune and that is likely the most "vulnerable" part of the system.

The case of your PC is made of metal for shielding purposes to keep the FCC at bay since there are emission limits.

About the worst you'll experience is possibly some interference from the PC to the receiver, not the other way around.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everybody!