Marantz 1120 Amp - Basic Operation Inquiry - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-09-2014, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi -

I recently acquired my grandfather's audiophile setup that was in storage for the past 15 yrs. I'm now trying to determine if any of the units are operational.

The setup included:

- Marantz 1120 Console Stereo Amplifier

- Soundcraftsmen RP2212 EQ

- Teac 450 Cassette deck

- Mcintosh 2120 power amp (my father sold this one. Doh!)

My main question is, does this Marantz 1120 need to be paired with a power amp like the Mcintosh to work? I never had a chance to try this before the Mcintosh was sold. Or can the Marantz operate alone with speakers and an ipod signal going into the aux? This is how I've tested it now and can't get any sound. I've got a pair of Technics 1210's and a Pioneer DJ mixer just waiting to be enjoyed with this.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-10-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 133
The 1120 is an integrated preamp/amplifier, and has preouts that can drive an external power amplifier. Those components were good quality and solid in their day, but need to be tested for operation as new power supply capacitors may be required.. Plus the switches & controls are likely dirty.

Just my $0.05.... 👍😉
post #3 of 9 Old 06-12-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
The 1120 is an integrated preamp/amplifier, and has preouts that can drive an external power amplifier. Those components were good quality and solid in their day, but need to be tested for operation as <i>new</i> power supply capacitors may be required.. Plus the switches &amp; controls are likely dirty.<br><br>
Just my $0.05.... <span style="font-size:16px;"></span>
Thanks M Code! I tested it with an ipod in the aux w/Pilot 100 watt speakers and got no sound - I still have yet to try the other input channels but so far it seems like this unit needs a proper diagnostic. The power indicator is out as well but I could hear the normal click sound when it powers up
post #4 of 9 Old 06-12-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Be sure U have jumpers in the Pre-out/Main-in jacks, without these U will get no audio...

Just my $0.05...
post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2014, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Be sure U have jumpers in the Pre-out/Main-in jacks, without these U will get no audio...

Just my $0.05...
!!! now that's probably my problem..no jumpers. I do see the "pre out" and "amp in" rca jacks. Hope this works, will let you know.

thanks again for the $0.05!
post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well the jumpers worked and I got sound...AMAZING sound for about 30 seconds, until I saw a little bit of smoke and turned it off immediately. The sound continued to work fine as it smoked, no signs of audio problems yet.

Here's a photo of exactly what I have going on. I used a basic rca cable for jumpers, that's all I have for the moment. You can see the "pre-amp out" sent to "amp in", and I have my Pilot 100 watt speakers connected. I'm sending signal to aux in.

Could any of my connections cause a problem? I used thicker 14awg wire to extend my Right speaker, could that harm anything?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	121490  
post #7 of 9 Old 06-16-2014, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
 <i>new</i> power supply capacitors may be required.. Plus the switches &amp; controls are likely dirty.<br><br>
Just my $0.05.... <span style="font-size:16px;"></span>
Yep, needs new capacitors, that must be where the smoke came from. So I'll replace these before turning it on again. I hope that sound preview I got didn't do any damage...I only had it on for a minute or so.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-17-2014, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Update - I had the nerve to run the machine again, this time with the top panel opened in order to see where smoke is coming from if any at all, and I've just been enjoying music for a while here - 30 min and fully operational, no smoke or smell at all. Some knobs are a tad noisy, but once left in position all sounds good.

I guess as much as this unit could use a service check, it works and maybe the little smoke earlier was something that had a minor leak or dust burning off?? All seems fine, but any advise on safety concerns would be appreciated.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-18-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If it smoked, then something was burning... I would not use it until you get it serviced as a short could burn down the house in a worst case scenario...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page