AVS Forum banner

Marantz AV8802 13.2 XLR Pre/Pro **Official Thread**

1M views 16K replies 743 participants last post by  Geoff4RFC 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

The new Marantz AV8802 relacing the actual AV8801 has been announced, it's a 13.2 XLR processor, HDMI 2.0 ISF video and Wifi + Bluetooth integrated, with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and an Audyssey Pro capacity. Indicated Public Price : 3800€... on the high side compared to the 8801 listed at @ 2800€.See details here :http://www.avcesar.com/actu/id-14423/marantz-av8802-pre-amplificateur-remplacant-de-lav8801.html (in French)

and for information to be compared to Denon's AVR-X7200W rear panel :

Hugo

FW Updates :

04/06/15 :

- A .dff file cannot be played from USB and the media player
- Even if the Sleep Timer setting is set to All Zone Stereo from Mobile App, Sleep Timer operates in Zone 2 only.
- When the customer selects "Amp Assign = Dolby Atmos, Layout = 7.1 CH + 4 Height", the help text of GUI displays an unnecessary explanation in the Pre-Amp setting.
- When Dynamic Volume is turned off with the AMX command, Dynamic EQ is also disabled.

one curious thing I noticed is when the marantz was in standby the oval display still had a few pixels lit --- very dimly.....so flipped down the front panel to reveal the main display....AND !

very curiously it said "ZONE 3 On" even though the marantz was in stand by ! aha I thought found something here. of course how the hell do you turn zone 3 off...as I dont have a zone 3 or a zone 2 for that matter...only a main zone...and likely why this is leaving my power amp on ?

nothing in the menus to switch off zones....so decide to look at the marantz remote...lo and held it has a zone button on it ...which if press it cycles through zones and the power button can then switch on and off each zone ! turned off zone 3 and woohoo...my power amp switches off ! victory !!!!

made sure zone 2 was off and then switched the remote to the main zone only.

so there you go. only thing I can think off is the zone button accidentally hit on the marantz remote and in powering on it has powered on zone 3 ? and hence thinking why the amp needed to stay on ?

anyways wiht all triggers on in the menu and with hdmi cec control off...no zones engaged wooohoo pleased to say triggers both are working as they should.

so thank good ness nothing has infact failed woohoo...no trips to the service centre !

one to chock away guys ....zones ...they can play with your triggers...good to also explore the hdmi cec side as with the complex trigger setup the thing has
will notify the one at the wheel….
The following is a list of fixes/changes included in the Feb 04th firmware update (DTS:X + HDMI 2.0a) :

1) Ability to use "Rear Height" instead of "Surround Height" with Auro 3D (which then allows using FH+RH for all 3 formats: Atmos, DTS:X, Auro 3D using a single Audyssey calibration)
2) HDMI 2.0a(HDR)
3) Add the "DTS: X" and "DTS Neural:X" sound mode feature.
4) When the customer plays DD + stream that exceeds 504kbps at specific Media Player (Tmall Magic box TMB300A), the sound might not be output from the AV receiver. The symptom is a problem that the product has the failure in playing DD + stream that exceeds 504kbps. (Improvement request from Dolby Laboratories, Inc.)
5) Even if the customer sets "Tone Control" to "ON" with the WEB control setting screen of the AV receiver, and the numerical value of Bass or Treble is changed, the AV receiver doesn't reflect a set value. The symptom is a problem that the AV receiver cannot set Bass or Treble from the WEB control.
6) When the input source of AV receiver switches automatically from Blu-ray (function during SACD playback) to TV Audio, the sound of the broadcast via ARC from specific TV (Panasonic) might not be outputted. The symptom is a problem that the sound of the broadcast via ARC from specific TV (Panasonic) might not be outputted.
7) Even if the customer sets Level FR from the WEB control screen of the AV receiver, the customer cannot confirm a set value of Level FR because the display on the WEB control screen doesn't change. The display of Level FR on the WEB control screen doesn't change but Level FR on the AV receiver side is changed. The symptom is a problem that the customer cannot confirm a set value of Level FR because the display on the WEB control screen doesn't change.
8) When the customer connects MAC Book to the AV receiver and then the specific MP3 file (Album art size is bigger than 1000x1000 pixels) is played from iTunes via the AirPlay, the AV receiver reboots before starting the playback of the MP3 file. The symptom is a problem that the AV receiver reboots before starting the playback of the MP3 file. (# 2-30-20150721-1 by EU region)
9) If the customer inserted the iPod classic to USB-A terminal on AV Receiver with standby mode (over 8 hours or more), when the customer turns on the power of AV receiver, the AV receiver cannot connect to the iPod again. The symptom is a problem that the AV receiver cannot connect to the iPod when the customer turns on the power of AV receiver. (#2-53-20150427-2 by EU region)
10) When the customer connects the AV receiver to HDMI output of specific Streaming Media Player (Roku 4) that the output setting of the resolution is set to 4K, the AV receiver doesn't output the video or the AV receiver has a latency until the output video. The symptom is a problem that the AV receiver doesn't output the video or the AV receiver has a latency until the output video.
11) Custom 2CH playback settings added
Auro 3D Upgrade instructions:

1. Connect the unit to the internet.
2. Ensure the unit has the latest firmware update installed.
3. Using the GUI, select Upgrade now (or go to SETUP -- GENERAL -- FIRMWARE -- ADD NEW FEATURE) and write down the "Upgrade ID" listed on the display
4. Go to the Upgrade website on the Marantz website at http://upgrade.marantz.com/na/marantz/pages/home.aspx
5. Complete the Auro 3D upgrade Personal form to include personal information, the unit's serial number (listed on back of unit or on original box), and the Upgrade ID obtained in step 3.
6. Enter credit card information - $199 USD (includes Auro 3D Demo Disk).
7. Once the card has been processed, the Auro 3D upgrade will be available to download to the unit (estimated download time - 49 minutes)

***** Also ... for those not wanting to upgrade to Auro 3D at this time, you will be given the option to turn Upgrade Notification OFF or you can just go to SETUP -- GENERAL -- FIRMWARE -- NOTIFICATIONS -- UPGRADE and select OFF so you don't get the Upgrade notification each time the unit is powered ON. :)

The following resets are available on the AV8802/A.

A. With the AVP powered OFF, press/hold the two buttons listed below on the AVP's front panel for 4-5 seconds after releasing the power button.

Microprocessor reset – GAME+A-DSX

Factory/Deep Reset (includes microprocessor reset) – MOVIE+MUSIC

B. With the AVP powered ON and the "Online Music" source selected, press/hold the two buttons listed below for 4-5 seconds

Network Reboot (network card only) – BACK+ ENTER

Network Reset (network card + following settings initialized: Favorites, Smart Select, Presets, Internet Radio recently played, Flickr contacts, User ID, Resume Playback station) – M-DAX+DYNAMIC EQ

After installing the DTS:X update, the Marantz Remote App might not work. So this update is to fix that issue.

4/6/2016
(1) When the customer updates the firmware to "DTS: X", the product might not be able to operate from the Marantz Remote App.

July 04, 2016

- When customer connects the AV receiver with the specific BD player (Sony BDP-CX960 and Sony CX-7000 Blu-ray Jukebox) via the HDMI and playback the contents of "DTS-HD", the AV receiver doesn't recognize the audio of "DTS-HD". Therefore, the specific BD player outputs the audio signal with Multi ch PCM.
The symptom is a problem that the "DTS-HD" format signal is not output.
- In a network environment in which AV receiver is connected, the network module of the AV receiver reboots when Netflix APP starts on the iOS device.
The symptom is a problem that the network module of the AV receiver reboots when Netflix APP starts on the iOS device.
- The audio intermittently becomes interrupted when HD cable TV program switches from DD with DSU to PCM based commercial using Dolby Surround.
The symptom is a problem that the audio intermittently becomes interrupted when HD cable TV program switches from DD with DSU to PCM based commercial using Dolby Surround.
- When the customer plays a specific file by USB Memory device, the track name is changed one after another in 25 seconds. (File that the number (01 and 02, etc.) are recorded at the beginning of the name.) The symptom is a problem that the track name is changed one after another in 25 seconds.
- When the customer inputs the 2ch audio signal with the following specific condition to the AV receiver, the Center channel output signal is distorted.
Sound mode: DTS Neural:X Input signal: amplitude = over 440mFFS (40% vs full scale) and frequency=720Hz / 2.7~4.1kHz
The symptom is a problem that the Center channel output signal is distorted by the specified condition.
- After the firmware updates to corresponding to the "DTS:X" feature, the following failure occurs in the AV receiver.
When the surround mode is "DTS:X", the surround parameter "Neural:X" of the initial value is OFF. The symptom is a problem that the surround parameter "Neural:X" of the initial value is OFF when the surround mode is "DTS:X". (The correct initial value is ON.)
- After the firmware updates to corresponding to the "DTS:X" feature, the following failure occurs in the AV receiver.
When the customer inputs the DTS signal of 2ch to the AV receiver, the AV receiver shows "DTS Neural:X" on the display but the audio signal is not output with "DTS Neural:X". The symptom is a problem that the AV receiver shows "DTS Neural:X" on the display but the audio signal is not output with "DTS Neural:X" when the customer inputs the DTS signal of 2ch to the AV receiver.
- When the customer switches the sound mode from the Denon Remote App, the following failure occurs in the AV receiver.
Example: The sound mode becomes the "Dolby Surround" even if the customer selects the "DTS Neural:X" in the sound mode.
The sound mode becomes the "DTS Neural:X" even if the customer selects the "Dolby Surrouds" in the sound mode.
The symptom is a problem that the sound mode is not correctly selected even if the customer selects the sound mode.
- When the customer connects iPod/USB and MediaServer to the product, and music is played, the product was a specification that do an unnecessary access.
- When the black hole router was present between the Internet environment of the AV receiver and DPMS server (including the Internet service provider side equipment), the AV receiver might fail in the firmware update. (The black hole router is a router that destroy it when the divided IP packet cannot be forwarded.)
jdsmoothie said:
October 28, 2016

1. DSU on DTS sources
2. Neural-X on Dolby Sources
3. Pandora logon fix
jdsmoothie said:
April 25, 2017

1. Added support of the 2016 Marantz Remote App version 2.2.0
2. Counteracted upcoming Spotify platform changes.
3. Corrected issue where Audyssey data would not save with Quick Selects
4. Corrected issue where Info screen would not disappear after AVR power up.

See less See more
#1,063 ·
I kind of wonder if DTS will just continue using the "DTS Neo:X" name for their version of upmixing. I mean, Dolby recycled "Dolby Surround", right? I'm assuming DTS will have their own way of upmixing all the existing 2-channel, 5.1 and 7.1 content (perhaps even mono like Auromatic).

As to why I said I thought it was strange that Marantz isn't saying anything one way or the other about whether or not the AV8802 will be able to decode DTS:X - I was basically meaning that it must be frustrating for them to be under NDA when they have to be aware that at least some portion of the already small consumer market for a $4000 Pre/Pro will be waiting on the DTS:X news before committing to a purchase. What I find "strange" is that Marantz would continue to launch the AV8802 in February, update their website, post the manual, and all the rest of it when they know there's going to be this big news coming just a month later.

I'm just looking at it this way:

1) if the AV8802 WILL be getting some sort of upgrade that will allow it to decode DTS:X, why not either delay the launch of the AV8802 until they can say so, or just, y'know, kind of let it slip somehow that DTS:X will be coming? haha.

or

2) if the AV8802 will NOT be getting DTS:X decoding, what are they hoping will happen? Early adopters will plunk down $4000 and then be perfectly content when they find out that DTS:X will never be coming to their new flagship Pre/Pro?

I just meant that it's a strange position for Marantz to be in. Launching the AV8802 in February, but not being able to say anything about DTS:X until March seems like a situation with no upside. I mean, I for one am certainly going to wait for the news.

And like I said, if it turns out that the AV8802 is not getting DTS:X...ever, then how's that going to play out?

Oh well, maybe SMPTE will finalize their "universal" immersive audio standard for cinemas, and it will render all of this moot! I kind of doubt it, though. Cinemas don't use Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master audio for 5.1 or 7.1 lossless playback. They just use PCM. And what's so silly is that we could just use PCM on Blu-rays, too! Several discs did early on, and the odd disc still pops up from time to time. But no, instead, we had to make sure we have TrueHD AND DTS-HD Master Audio decoding if we want lossless audio from every disc at home.

So I'm guessing that even if SMPTE works out a universal immersive audio standard for cinemas, we're still going to need separate Atmos, Auro-3D, and DTS:X decoders to cover our bases at home. What'll be really funny, though, is if they DO end up bringing the universal immersive audio format to the home market as ANOTHER option that a handful of discs will use. Guess that's one way to keep us upgrading our Processors!

#1,065 ·
I'm assuming DTS will have their own way of upmixing all the existing 2-channel, 5.1 and 7.1 content (perhaps even mono like Auromatic).
Pretty safe to assume DTS will still have upmixing. And thus far, Auromatic does not upmix 1.0 mono in D&M products. Maybe that's a bug that will be fixed soon.

I was basically meaning that it must be frustrating for them to be under NDA
Why do you assume they are under NDA? DTS already announced D&M (and several others) will be releasing DTS-X products.

1) if the AV8802 WILL be getting some sort of upgrade that will allow it to decode DTS:X, why not either delay the launch of the AV8802 until they can say so, or just, y'know, kind of let it slip somehow that DTS:X will be coming? haha.
What if the announcement in March is that DTS-X ships in June? Why lose 4 months of sales?

Oh well, maybe SMPTE will finalize their "universal" immersive audio standard for cinemas, and it will render all of this moot! I kind of doubt it, though. Cinemas don't use Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master audio for 5.1 or 7.1 lossless playback. They just use PCM.
Correct. SMPTE activity has no bearing on the release of DTS-X or any other consumer codec.

And what's so silly is that we could just use PCM on Blu-rays, too! Several discs did early on, and the odd disc still pops up from time to time. But no, instead, we had to make sure we have TrueHD AND DTS-HD Master Audio decoding if we want lossless audio from every disc at home.
8-ch PCM is not sufficient to carry object audio. Too few channels, no metadata support. Do do so would require a change in the disc format. But because TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are extensible, the support for object audio could be done without changing the format, yet remaining compatible with existing BD players and AV decoders. PCM cannot do that.

So I'm guessing that even if SMPTE works out a universal immersive audio standard for cinemas, we're still going to need separate Atmos, Auro-3D, and DTS:X decoders to cover our bases at home. What'll be really funny, though, is if they DO end up bringing the universal immersive audio format to the home market as ANOTHER option that a handful of discs will use. Guess that's one way to keep us upgrading our Processors!
The SMPTE standard will simply be a way to feed content into any consumer delivery format. From that point on, it looks the same as any other content produced for those formats.

#1,066 ·
The multichannel (7.1) analog inputs on all D+M AVRs and pre/pros, whether RCA or XLR, bypass all digital processing. In other words, the AV8802 cannot provide bass management for them. When you use those connections, you must do the bass management in the BDP-105.

Signal processing, including bass management, is available in the AV8802 if you use any of the stereo analog inputs (RCA or XLR), the S/PDIF inputs (coax or optical), or the HDMI inputs.
So you are saying that upmixing audio from an HDMI source with Dolby Surround for example is not possible when using the XLR outputs?

#1,067 · (Edited)
So you are saying that upmixing audio from an HDMI source with Dolby Surround for example is not possible when using the XLR outputs?
Upmixing is *not* possible when using the *player's* multichannel (7.1) XLR outputs. No digital processing of any kind can be applied in the AV8802 when using its multichannel (7.1) XLR or RCA analog inputs.

Upmixing *is* possible when using the player's stereo (2.0) XLR (or RCA) outputs and connecting them to the AV8802's stereo XLR (or RCA) inputs, or when using HDMI or S/PDIF connections.

The AV8802's XLR outputs provide analog differential signals corresponding to whatever audio signals the AV8802 can accept or generate.

#1,068 ·
Upmixing is *not* possible when using the *player's* multichannel (7.1) XLR outputs. No digital processing of any kind can be applied in the AV8802 when using its multichannel (7.1) XLR or RCA analog inputs.

Upmixing *is* possible when using the player's stereo (2.0) XLR (or RCA) outputs and connecting them to the AV8802's stereo XLR (or RCA) inputs, or when using HDMI or S/PDIF connections.

The AV8802's XLR outputs provide analog differential signals corresponding to whatever audio signals the AV8802 can accept or generate.
When you say upmixing is not possible with (7.1) XLR oputputs, what about when using (7.1.2 or 7.1.4) XLR connections for output?

So if I had audio sources over HDMI/SPDIF that I want to upmix from stereo to multichannel (or upmix sources that are already multichannel but add additional channels) it would not be possible at all with the XLR outputs?

#1,069 ·
When you say upmixing is not possible with (7.1) XLR oputputs, what about when using (7.1.2 or 7.1.4) XLR connections for output?

So if I had audio sources over HDMI/SPDIF that I want to upmix from stereo to multichannel (or upmix sources that are already multichannel but add additional channels)
Correct.
it would not be possible at all with the XLR outputs?
Note that the AV8802 has separate stereo XLR inputs and multichannel XLR inputs. Please don't confuse the two.

The AV8802 has only two Analog-to-Digital converters (ADCs). They're connected to whichever stereo input you've selected. It does not the 6 additional ADCs which would be needed to digitize the 7.1 multichannel analog inputs. As a result, the AV8802 cannot apply any digital processing of any kind whatsoever to signals arriving by way of its 7.1 multichannel analog inputs.

If you connect the player's stereo XLR outputs to the AV8802's stereo XLR inputs, you can apply any of the AV8802's digital processing you want, including bass management and Audyssey DSX. If you connect the player's multichannel 7.1 XLR outputs to the AV8802's multichannel 7.1 XLR inputs, no processing of any kind can be used on them. Bass management must be provided in the player.

#1,070 ·
Correct.

Note that the AV8802 has separate stereo XLR inputs and multichannel XLR inputs. Please don't confuse the two.

The AV8802 has only two Analog-to-Digital converters (ADCs). They're connected to whichever stereo input you've selected. It does not the 6 additional ADCs which would be needed to digitize the 7.1 multichannel analog inputs. As a result, the AV8802 cannot apply any digital processing of any kind whatsoever to signals arriving by way of its 7.1 multichannel analog inputs.

If you connect the player's stereo XLR outputs to the AV8802's stereo XLR inputs, you can apply any of the AV8802's digital processing you want, including bass management and Audyssey DSX. If you connect the player's multichannel 7.1 XLR outputs to the AV8802's multichannel 7.1 XLR inputs, no processing of any kind can be used on them. Bass management must be provided in the player.
Well that is disappointing to hear. I take it what I want to do is only possible when using HDMI output?
Is there another processor in the same caliber as the 8802 that could do what I was asking with XLR outputs?

#1,071 ·
Well that is disappointing to hear. I take it what I want to do is only possible when using HDMI output?
Is there another processor in the same caliber as the 8802 that could do what I was asking with XLR outputs?
Why would you want to send a multichannel analog signal only to convert this to digital, process it, then convert back to analog? Why not just send digital multichannel signal via HDMI and skip the A to D conversion?

#1,072 ·
Why would you want to send a multichannel analog signal only to convert this to digital, process it, then convert back to analog? Why not just send digital multichannel signal via HDMI and skip the A to D conversion?
I wanted to send stereo/multichannel digital signal (HDMI/Toslink) to be processed (upmixed) and then converted to multichannel analog to feed the upmixed audio into an XLR Audio Interface.

#1,073 ·
I wanted to send stereo/multichannel digital signal (HDMI/Toslink) to be processed (upmixed) and then converted to multichannel analog to feed the upmixed audio into an XLR Audio Interface.

No problem doing that since HDMI and TosLink are digital.

- Rich

#1,075 ·
But Selden Ball said that wouldn't work because the XLR outputs bypass processing for upmixing etc?
AV8802 XLR *inputs* not outputs bypsss digital processing.

The AV8802 XLR outputs are preamp outputs containing whatever proccessed signals that are intended to drive amps or whatever else you want. (e.g. some kind of external room EQ).

#1,076 ·
AV8802 XLR *inputs* not outputs bypsss digital processing.

The AV8802 XLR outputs are preamp outputs containing whatever proccessed signals that are intended to drive amps or whatever else you want. (e.g. some kind of external room EQ).
Good to hear it would work as I hoped it would for upmixing and sending the output over XLR.
Question about HDCP (if anyone knows). If I input a HDMI source that is not flagged for HDCP, would the 8802 reapply (after processing) the HDCP flag on HDMI output?

#1,077 ·
The 8801 circuit is quite different. It has a simple HDAM SA circuit, but it has IC op amps at the input and output. The balanced outputs are created by another pair of of unity gain IC op amps (a dual op amp). The single ended output feeds the plus input of one op amp and the minus input of the other op amp, so their outputs are out of phase. Some folks think the extra circuitry feeding the balanced outputs make them sound worse than the singled ended outputs. The fully discrete HDAM circuits in the 7702 and 8802 are new. Somewhere in the two threads I provided images of the 8801 and 8802 schematics showing these differences. Marantz makes much of these changes.

I own an AV8801, which I enjoy. The quantity and quality of detailed technical information that has been provided on the AV8802 recently in this thread, and for that matter on the AV8801, has been very helpful in evaluating a potential future purchase of an AV8802. I'm a fan of companies that provide detailed technical information concerning their products. I use Bryston amplifiers in part because the publish the schematics for their amplifiers on the web, a step almost any other manufacturers seem afraid to take. I've then purchased several units because I like what I hear and the 20 year warranty; enough about Bryston.

Specifically the information concerning the actual design of the analog outputs, including the pictures, has been helpful. The Japanese website you noted has very useful information. That information leads to other information on datasheets for the various components, such as the new AKM DAC.

Hopefully we'll get more detailed information over the next few months.

One area I would like to better understand in the AV8802 is how the unit processes digital data once it has been decoded and Audyssey had done its work if employed. Perhaps an example will help. CD inputs using straight 2 channel, no future processing are 44.1 kHz, 16 bit. Audyssey outputs after processing are 48 kHz, 24 bit (?) based on information in these forums. Other inputs such as Blu-Rays without Audyssey might be 192 kHz, 24 bit. The actually numbers aren't the important, the my question revolves around does the AV8802 then sample rate convert all of these various sample rates and bit depths to one, higher internal rate? This method is used by a lot of standalone DAC's. It may or may not be a good idea, but the question interests me.

The question also seems relevant since the text on the Japanese website said that the AV8802 uses the slow roll off filter in the AKM DAC. This filter rolls off the higher frequencies a lot for 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz data. It is flat to what appears to be around 8 kHz at these sample rates. Looking at the DAC board on the AV8802 the analog filter after the DAC appears to be one aimed at DSD with a significant roll off at 100 kHz. All of this makes me think that the AV8802 up samples all of the audio, likely in the DSP's, to say 192 kHz, since this fits with the slow roll off filter in the DAC, and would now be flat to 20 kHz at this higher sample frequency. This question may be akin to attempting to count the number of angels that fit on the head of a pin, but it seems interesting since it relates to how Marantz views this sort of processing versus other suppliers.

#1,078 ·
Good to hear it would work as I hoped it would for upmixing and sending the output over XLR.
Question about HDCP (if anyone knows). If I input a HDMI source that is not flagged for HDCP, would the 8802 reapply (after processing) the HDCP flag on HDMI output?
The HDMI output is not processed. It is a pass through. Having said that, I'm not sure about your question -- will it add HDCP flag to non-HDCP content. I suspect it might do that. Where are you sending the HDMI output where that would become an issue?

#1,079 ·
the Japanese website said that the AV8802 uses the slow roll off filter in the AKM DAC.
Does the user have the option of changing the filter of the DAC (like Yamaha does)? Just curious.

In my limited experience, I always preferred "Slow roll off" anyway.

#1,080 ·
Does the user have the option of changing the filter of the DAC (like Yamaha does)? Just curious.

In my limited experience, I always preferred "Slow roll off" anyway.

The user of the AV8802 does not have the option of changing the filter used by the DAC chip based on the Japanese website; translated of course.

Here is a link to the datasheet for the DAC used in the AV8802. As you can see the roll off of the slow roll-off filter at 44.1 kHz is quite significant. I would think that the slow filter for low sample rates would make for dull sound. This effect on the highs is what makes me think that the AV8802 up samples to a higher sample rates, say 192 kHz.

http://www.akm.com/file.jsp?id=273638

I believe there has been speculation that Marantz, in at least some units, uses something like the AL24 (various versions) processing that Denon employs. I've never found a though explanation of AL24 in its various incarnations. I don't know if it is synchronous or asynchronous up sampling for example; or really what is it doing. Often up sampling in stereo DACs is performed using, for example; the TI SRC4392, which does asynchronous up sampling and also can provide a lot of jitter reduction. Clearly those chips aren't employed in the AV8802, but with all the DSP resources available up sampling of some sort is clearly an option and Denon is a very close relative.