AVS Forum banner

Marantz AV8802 13.2 XLR Pre/Pro **Official Thread**

1M views 16K replies 743 participants last post by  Geoff4RFC 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

The new Marantz AV8802 relacing the actual AV8801 has been announced, it's a 13.2 XLR processor, HDMI 2.0 ISF video and Wifi + Bluetooth integrated, with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and an Audyssey Pro capacity. Indicated Public Price : 3800€... on the high side compared to the 8801 listed at @ 2800€.See details here :http://www.avcesar.com/actu/id-14423/marantz-av8802-pre-amplificateur-remplacant-de-lav8801.html (in French)

and for information to be compared to Denon's AVR-X7200W rear panel :

Hugo

FW Updates :

04/06/15 :

- A .dff file cannot be played from USB and the media player
- Even if the Sleep Timer setting is set to All Zone Stereo from Mobile App, Sleep Timer operates in Zone 2 only.
- When the customer selects "Amp Assign = Dolby Atmos, Layout = 7.1 CH + 4 Height", the help text of GUI displays an unnecessary explanation in the Pre-Amp setting.
- When Dynamic Volume is turned off with the AMX command, Dynamic EQ is also disabled.

one curious thing I noticed is when the marantz was in standby the oval display still had a few pixels lit --- very dimly.....so flipped down the front panel to reveal the main display....AND !

very curiously it said "ZONE 3 On" even though the marantz was in stand by ! aha I thought found something here. of course how the hell do you turn zone 3 off...as I dont have a zone 3 or a zone 2 for that matter...only a main zone...and likely why this is leaving my power amp on ?

nothing in the menus to switch off zones....so decide to look at the marantz remote...lo and held it has a zone button on it ...which if press it cycles through zones and the power button can then switch on and off each zone ! turned off zone 3 and woohoo...my power amp switches off ! victory !!!!

made sure zone 2 was off and then switched the remote to the main zone only.

so there you go. only thing I can think off is the zone button accidentally hit on the marantz remote and in powering on it has powered on zone 3 ? and hence thinking why the amp needed to stay on ?

anyways wiht all triggers on in the menu and with hdmi cec control off...no zones engaged wooohoo pleased to say triggers both are working as they should.

so thank good ness nothing has infact failed woohoo...no trips to the service centre !

one to chock away guys ....zones ...they can play with your triggers...good to also explore the hdmi cec side as with the complex trigger setup the thing has
will notify the one at the wheel….
The following is a list of fixes/changes included in the Feb 04th firmware update (DTS:X + HDMI 2.0a) :

1) Ability to use "Rear Height" instead of "Surround Height" with Auro 3D (which then allows using FH+RH for all 3 formats: Atmos, DTS:X, Auro 3D using a single Audyssey calibration)
2) HDMI 2.0a(HDR)
3) Add the "DTS: X" and "DTS Neural:X" sound mode feature.
4) When the customer plays DD + stream that exceeds 504kbps at specific Media Player (Tmall Magic box TMB300A), the sound might not be output from the AV receiver. The symptom is a problem that the product has the failure in playing DD + stream that exceeds 504kbps. (Improvement request from Dolby Laboratories, Inc.)
5) Even if the customer sets "Tone Control" to "ON" with the WEB control setting screen of the AV receiver, and the numerical value of Bass or Treble is changed, the AV receiver doesn't reflect a set value. The symptom is a problem that the AV receiver cannot set Bass or Treble from the WEB control.
6) When the input source of AV receiver switches automatically from Blu-ray (function during SACD playback) to TV Audio, the sound of the broadcast via ARC from specific TV (Panasonic) might not be outputted. The symptom is a problem that the sound of the broadcast via ARC from specific TV (Panasonic) might not be outputted.
7) Even if the customer sets Level FR from the WEB control screen of the AV receiver, the customer cannot confirm a set value of Level FR because the display on the WEB control screen doesn't change. The display of Level FR on the WEB control screen doesn't change but Level FR on the AV receiver side is changed. The symptom is a problem that the customer cannot confirm a set value of Level FR because the display on the WEB control screen doesn't change.
8) When the customer connects MAC Book to the AV receiver and then the specific MP3 file (Album art size is bigger than 1000x1000 pixels) is played from iTunes via the AirPlay, the AV receiver reboots before starting the playback of the MP3 file. The symptom is a problem that the AV receiver reboots before starting the playback of the MP3 file. (# 2-30-20150721-1 by EU region)
9) If the customer inserted the iPod classic to USB-A terminal on AV Receiver with standby mode (over 8 hours or more), when the customer turns on the power of AV receiver, the AV receiver cannot connect to the iPod again. The symptom is a problem that the AV receiver cannot connect to the iPod when the customer turns on the power of AV receiver. (#2-53-20150427-2 by EU region)
10) When the customer connects the AV receiver to HDMI output of specific Streaming Media Player (Roku 4) that the output setting of the resolution is set to 4K, the AV receiver doesn't output the video or the AV receiver has a latency until the output video. The symptom is a problem that the AV receiver doesn't output the video or the AV receiver has a latency until the output video.
11) Custom 2CH playback settings added
Auro 3D Upgrade instructions:

1. Connect the unit to the internet.
2. Ensure the unit has the latest firmware update installed.
3. Using the GUI, select Upgrade now (or go to SETUP -- GENERAL -- FIRMWARE -- ADD NEW FEATURE) and write down the "Upgrade ID" listed on the display
4. Go to the Upgrade website on the Marantz website at http://upgrade.marantz.com/na/marantz/pages/home.aspx
5. Complete the Auro 3D upgrade Personal form to include personal information, the unit's serial number (listed on back of unit or on original box), and the Upgrade ID obtained in step 3.
6. Enter credit card information - $199 USD (includes Auro 3D Demo Disk).
7. Once the card has been processed, the Auro 3D upgrade will be available to download to the unit (estimated download time - 49 minutes)

***** Also ... for those not wanting to upgrade to Auro 3D at this time, you will be given the option to turn Upgrade Notification OFF or you can just go to SETUP -- GENERAL -- FIRMWARE -- NOTIFICATIONS -- UPGRADE and select OFF so you don't get the Upgrade notification each time the unit is powered ON. :)

The following resets are available on the AV8802/A.

A. With the AVP powered OFF, press/hold the two buttons listed below on the AVP's front panel for 4-5 seconds after releasing the power button.

Microprocessor reset – GAME+A-DSX

Factory/Deep Reset (includes microprocessor reset) – MOVIE+MUSIC

B. With the AVP powered ON and the "Online Music" source selected, press/hold the two buttons listed below for 4-5 seconds

Network Reboot (network card only) – BACK+ ENTER

Network Reset (network card + following settings initialized: Favorites, Smart Select, Presets, Internet Radio recently played, Flickr contacts, User ID, Resume Playback station) – M-DAX+DYNAMIC EQ

After installing the DTS:X update, the Marantz Remote App might not work. So this update is to fix that issue.

4/6/2016
(1) When the customer updates the firmware to "DTS: X", the product might not be able to operate from the Marantz Remote App.

July 04, 2016

- When customer connects the AV receiver with the specific BD player (Sony BDP-CX960 and Sony CX-7000 Blu-ray Jukebox) via the HDMI and playback the contents of "DTS-HD", the AV receiver doesn't recognize the audio of "DTS-HD". Therefore, the specific BD player outputs the audio signal with Multi ch PCM.
The symptom is a problem that the "DTS-HD" format signal is not output.
- In a network environment in which AV receiver is connected, the network module of the AV receiver reboots when Netflix APP starts on the iOS device.
The symptom is a problem that the network module of the AV receiver reboots when Netflix APP starts on the iOS device.
- The audio intermittently becomes interrupted when HD cable TV program switches from DD with DSU to PCM based commercial using Dolby Surround.
The symptom is a problem that the audio intermittently becomes interrupted when HD cable TV program switches from DD with DSU to PCM based commercial using Dolby Surround.
- When the customer plays a specific file by USB Memory device, the track name is changed one after another in 25 seconds. (File that the number (01 and 02, etc.) are recorded at the beginning of the name.) The symptom is a problem that the track name is changed one after another in 25 seconds.
- When the customer inputs the 2ch audio signal with the following specific condition to the AV receiver, the Center channel output signal is distorted.
Sound mode: DTS Neural:X Input signal: amplitude = over 440mFFS (40% vs full scale) and frequency=720Hz / 2.7~4.1kHz
The symptom is a problem that the Center channel output signal is distorted by the specified condition.
- After the firmware updates to corresponding to the "DTS:X" feature, the following failure occurs in the AV receiver.
When the surround mode is "DTS:X", the surround parameter "Neural:X" of the initial value is OFF. The symptom is a problem that the surround parameter "Neural:X" of the initial value is OFF when the surround mode is "DTS:X". (The correct initial value is ON.)
- After the firmware updates to corresponding to the "DTS:X" feature, the following failure occurs in the AV receiver.
When the customer inputs the DTS signal of 2ch to the AV receiver, the AV receiver shows "DTS Neural:X" on the display but the audio signal is not output with "DTS Neural:X". The symptom is a problem that the AV receiver shows "DTS Neural:X" on the display but the audio signal is not output with "DTS Neural:X" when the customer inputs the DTS signal of 2ch to the AV receiver.
- When the customer switches the sound mode from the Denon Remote App, the following failure occurs in the AV receiver.
Example: The sound mode becomes the "Dolby Surround" even if the customer selects the "DTS Neural:X" in the sound mode.
The sound mode becomes the "DTS Neural:X" even if the customer selects the "Dolby Surrouds" in the sound mode.
The symptom is a problem that the sound mode is not correctly selected even if the customer selects the sound mode.
- When the customer connects iPod/USB and MediaServer to the product, and music is played, the product was a specification that do an unnecessary access.
- When the black hole router was present between the Internet environment of the AV receiver and DPMS server (including the Internet service provider side equipment), the AV receiver might fail in the firmware update. (The black hole router is a router that destroy it when the divided IP packet cannot be forwarded.)
jdsmoothie said:
October 28, 2016

1. DSU on DTS sources
2. Neural-X on Dolby Sources
3. Pandora logon fix
jdsmoothie said:
April 25, 2017

1. Added support of the 2016 Marantz Remote App version 2.2.0
2. Counteracted upcoming Spotify platform changes.
3. Corrected issue where Audyssey data would not save with Quick Selects
4. Corrected issue where Info screen would not disappear after AVR power up.

See less See more
#10,841 ·
Anyone encounter this far off an audyssey reading for a speaker ? The Left and Right speaker are equidistant from the center

Also Audyssey set my front atmos speakers to large
Some things which come to mind are

1. a high-resistance connection in the wiring connecting the receiver to the left front speaker.
Make sure both ends of the speaker cable are clean and the connections are tight.

2. something wrong in the speaker or the receiver
Swap the right and left front speaker cable connections at the receiver. Run the calibration again. If the right front speaker becomes the one that's out-of whack, it's the receiver. If the problem stays with the speaker, then that's where you should look.

And, as previously mentioned, something might have gone wrong with the calibration, so just try it again.
Also, make sure there's nothing obstructing the line-of-sight between the left speaker and the microphone.

Reactions: APRisti
#10,842 ·
Anyone encounter this far off an audyssey reading for a speaker ? The Left and Right speaker are equidistant from the center

Also Audyssey set my front atmos speakers to large
Swap the L & R and run it again. See if it follows one or the other.

#10,843 ·
Anyone know about the audyssey App for IOS and Android that is coming out? It is suppose to replace audssey pro. Do we know if the 8802a will be able to utilize this feature?

#10,844 ·
Anyone know about the audyssey App for IOS and Android that is coming out? It is suppose to replace audssey pro. Do we know if the 8802a will be able to utilize this feature?
you will need to provide a source for this to make more sense of it, is it possible you are getting confused with the control app, as I am unsure how an app can replace pro :)

#10,845 ·
you will need to provide a source for this to make more sense of it, is it possible you are getting confused with the control app, as I am unsure how an app can replace pro :)
here is the article:

Marantz have also added support for the Audyssey smartphone app this year. Audyssey Pro is being phased out in 2016, to be replaced by a dedicated app that will provide many of the same features in an easier to use fashion. The app will make these features accessible to consumers as well as custom installers and at a fraction of the cost. The new app will be available from October, at a cost of €19.99. The app will guide the user through the Audyssey calibration, using the included Audyssey microphone for auto calibration. The app will also allow the user to check correction results, set target sound options, adjust frequency roll-off, set mid-range compensation controls and save, load, view and print results. Finally, although not officially a new feature, because Marantz shares a basic platform with Denon their flagship AV7703 AV Pre Amp and SR7011 AV Receiver will include HEOS connectivity.

and the source: https://www.avforums.com/article/ma...eceiver-range-including-flagship-sr7011.12681

#10,846 ·
Saw that as well and Am very interested to see just how far the Flagship support will go, as it would be something I'd be interested in if only to turn off midrange compensation:D The cheaper price won't hurt either but it seems the standard mic will be the only option? Let's hope for the best here;)

#10,847 ·
Saw that as well and Am very interested to see just how far the Flagship support will go, as it would be something I'd be interested in if only to turn off midrange compensation:D The cheaper price won't hurt either but it seems the standard mic will be the only option? Let's hope for the best here;)
As I read the announcement, the app supports the standard "consumer grade" Audyssey mic. For the mentioned price, it cannot include a custom mic. I wonder if the app will support prior year processors, like the 8802?

#10,848 ·
As I read the announcement, the app supports the standard "consumer grade" Audyssey mic. For the mentioned price, it cannot include a custom mic. I wonder if the app will support prior year processors, like the 8802?
I really see no reason for the 8802 not to be supported as it will still hold its flagship status but as feature sets are running low at the moment I hope they don't hold out for its replacement as a selling point.

#10,850 ·
I have noticed the AV8802A puts out significant heat even while iding (no source playing, just quiet). I can smell it
It's the HDMI board...they get extremely hot. That's why I installed active cooling in my rack. Very minimal noise (really have to listen for it) and keeps all the equipment under 100 degree (F), even under heavy load (amps and all). :cool:

#10,851 ·
It's the HDMI board...they get extremely hot. That's why I installed active cooling in my rack. Very minimal noise (really have to listen for it) and keeps all the equipment under 100 degree (F), even under heavy load (amps and all). :cool:
I see, thanks Dave.
Can you list your cooling products/set-up? Or even take a few images, I'm curious to see how you're doing things?

I use an open-type rack (BDI brand, "Axis") with 8 components occupying 7 glass shelves. There is 1.25in spacing between the top of the AV8802A chassis and the next glass shelf above. If I had to do it all over I would re-adjust the lower shelves downward to gain an extra 2in to 4in spacing. I was thinking a fan blowing sideways could at least draw some heat outward from the AV8802A (especially during California summer months). Oh well, at least the rack is open on all sides

Attachments

#10,852 ·
here is the article:

Marantz have also added support for the Audyssey smartphone app this year. Audyssey Pro is being phased out in 2016, to be replaced by a dedicated app that will provide many of the same features in an easier to use fashion. The app will make these features accessible to consumers as well as custom installers and at a fraction of the cost. The new app will be available from October, at a cost of €19.99. The app will guide the user through the Audyssey calibration, using the included Audyssey microphone for auto calibration. The app will also allow the user to check correction results, set target sound options, adjust frequency roll-off, set mid-range compensation controls and save, load, view and print results
sounds intriguing

Marantz shares a basic platform with Denon their flagship AV7703 AV Pre Amp and SR7011 AV Receiver will include HEOS connectivity.

and the source: https://www.avforums.com/article/ma...eceiver-range-including-flagship-sr7011.12681
hopefully D+M will hold-off on AV8802A successor until next year?

#10,853 · (Edited)
I see, thanks Dave.
Can you list your cooling products/set-up? Or even take a few images, I'm curious to see how you're doing things?

I use an open-type rack (BDI brand, "Axis") with 8 components occupying 7 glass shelves. There is 1.25in spacing between the top of the AV8802A chassis and the next glass shelf above. If I had to do it all over I would re-adjust the lower shelves downward to gain an extra 2in to 4in spacing. I was thinking a fan blowing sideways could at least draw some heat outward from the AV8802A (especially during California summer months). Oh well, at least the rack is open on all sides
I happen to have an infrared thermometer just for such cases. My 8802A has been powered on for about 12 hours, so it's probably as hot as it's going to get. I measure 124 degrees F at the rear of the case, which seems to be the hottest point. I don't have anything to compare to, so I don't know if 124 degrees is hot, average, or cool.

Interestingly, I also have a BDI rack very similar to yours (BDI Icon, now discontinued). My equipment layout is different than yours, but the open design of the BDI racks provide plenty of air circulation. I have never felt the need for a fan.

Attachments

#10,854 · (Edited)
I have noticed the AV8802A puts out significant heat even while iding (no source playing, just quiet). I can smell it
"...That SMELL...that e-lectronic SMELL.....you know what it smells like?........4K processing.....

You know son, someday this hobby's gunna end............."

#10,855 ·
I will inquire about the Audyssey iOS app. I've known they've been working on this for the last year and I'm hoping it does some of the things that were hinted at when I talked to Marantz late last year. If it does, I think some Audyssey folks will be really happy.

#10,856 ·
I will inquire about the Audyssey iOS app. I've known they've been working on this for the last year and I'm hoping it does some of the things that were hinted at when I talked to Marantz late last year. If it does, I think some Audyssey folks will be really happy.

Didn't realise they were releasing an IOS app. Curious to read what benefits it will bring.

#10,857 ·
another question is will you be able to use a PRO grade MIC with it as well?

#10,858 ·
Chris's comments on FB don't say anything about the mic but since the Pro mics do plug directly into the AVR/pre-pro, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to support the pro mics for those that already have them. The calibration file would still be valid so I don't see why it would be a big deal. I guess it is a matter of getting the cal file to the app? Guess we'll find out sooner or later. But, it does sound like this is only for future products going forward, so looks unlikely that the 8802A will be supported. 7703 and future 8802 replacement most likely.

#10,859 ·
I see, thanks Dave.

I use this for my 8802A. It has worked well so far.

#10,860 ·
Hello everyone,

Just bought this unit as my first dedicated pre/pro. I've been using a Pioneer Elite SC-65 as my pre/pro. Will connect this device to my Emotiva XPA-5 tonight. Any suggestions that the manual may not tell me?