Integra vs Onkyo Reliability - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm aware that Integra is Onkyo's luxury brand. Aside from perhaps having a slightly bigger power supply, does Integra offer a much more reliable receiver than a normal Onkyo receiver would? In particular I'm looking at the Integra DTR 30.5 (may be getting a nice discount price on it from my dealer) and any Onkyo receiver in the $400-700 price range. 

I've been trying to do some research however on how reliable modern day receivers are and so far all I have discovered is that every single receiver is reliable and every single receiver is not reliable at the same time. My last receiver was a simple $200 pioneer that lasted 8+ years and still works to this day except for stereo not working properly. I'm concerned that I might spend a lot on a receiver and it only last 3-4 years, and wanting to see what everyone's opinion is on modern day reliability.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-10-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked: 982
If reliability is very important to you, then I would avoid Onkyo. As far as I can tell, their HDMI problems over the last decade or so have extended into their Integra lines.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 44
My opinion is that Integra/Onkyo ARE reliable with the one BIG exception, the hot running HDMI boards. While many got out of warranty help, the problem is real and the resale value has taken a hit.

I have both an older Onkyo and Integra. While some say my older brand X has been very reliable and just a few things don't work right anymore, my two older units are flawless. BUT they both run hot and I'm probably on borrowed time.

Eventually Onkyo stepped up to the plate and made the fix. My Onkyo TX-NR929 runs 35 degrees cooler with the new HDMI board than older units.. So if it is as reliable as my other two units and runs so much cooler, I think I'm ok.

Now dropping Audyssey on lower priced models is another matter. If there is a 939 without Audyssey, OUCH!

Patrick

post #4 of 8 Old 06-10-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I wasn't aware of the HDMI issue. Does Pioneer/Elite, or other receivers have HDMI issues as well?

post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2014, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Collins View Post
Now dropping Audyssey on lower priced models is another matter. If there is a 939 without Audyssey, OUCH!

A recent conversation with someone at Onkyo/Gibson makes me believe that it will indeed be OUCH! It looks like the 939 and the replacements for the 1010/3010/5010 will no longer have Audyssey.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-12-2014, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrok View Post
I wasn't aware of the HDMI issue. Does Pioneer/Elite, or other receivers have HDMI issues as well?
Not that I have heard, at least with any frequency, but the problem is that Pioneer is now out of the AVR business and the room correction software on them is around the least of all.

For reliability take a look at Yamaha. They have their own room correction program too, but it's a damn bit better than Pioneer's in my opinion. Good as Audyssey? Not sure, they work differently, but both are very adjustable.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-13-2014, 02:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmusic View Post
Not that I have heard, at least with any frequency, but the problem is that Pioneer is now out of the AVR business and the room correction software on them is around the least of all.

For reliability take a look at Yamaha. They have their own room correction program too, but it's a damn bit better than Pioneer's in my opinion. Good as Audyssey? Not sure, they work differently, but both are very adjustable.
+1 on Yamaha for reliability. I have an Onkyo, Denon and Integra and so far the Denon is the only one (so far) that has any issues but I am going by my past Yamaha's and what I have read.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've had a bunch of Onkyos most recently a 701 (i think) and a 828. Have never had any issues with their stereo receives or their home theater ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page