Best in wall speaker volume control, new home-box wired w/ Cat5E & 4 wire colored BRWG to AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-10-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looking to find suggestions for an in wall volume control (maybe digital if not too expensive). I have a HTPC, newer Yamaha RX-V671 AVR. The builder wired 2 in ceiling speakers to the wall box, and then seem to have wired both Cat5E & a 4 strand BRWG colored wire to my AVR/HTPC hub. I am thinking something digital might be nice that I can control at the wall box and also with my AVR remote control. I am just starting to tie in some home automation stuff as well, so maybe even something that ties that together as well.

Also, I am not familiar with the 4 strand BRWG wire (assume it is a high end speaker wire). How do I work with it to tie everything together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetvEE View Post
Looking to find suggestions for an in wall volume control (maybe digital if not too expensive). I have a HTPC, newer Yamaha RX-V671 AVR. The builder wired 2 in ceiling speakers to the wall box, and then seem to have wired both Cat5E & a 4 strand BRWG colored wire to my AVR/HTPC hub. I am thinking something digital might be nice that I can control at the wall box and also with my AVR remote control. I am just starting to tie in some home automation stuff as well, so maybe even something that ties that together as well.

Also, I am not familiar with the 4 strand BRWG wire (assume it is a high end speaker wire). How do I work with it to tie everything together?
I found this item, that might work well to control my 2 speakers in the kitchen, but also give me more control of the AVR via IR & allow me to plug in my smartphone and listen to tunes off of it too! http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...specifications Can anyone confirm that I have the right cables run already to allow this volume control to provide all of these functions? I understand I would need to hook up an IR cable for AVR control & it looks like I need to find a small power supply and bury that somewhere.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-12-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 168
The 4 conductor speaker wire is just a stereo pair. Black and red is one speaker, white and green is the other.

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #4 of 4 Old 06-13-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
The 4 conductor speaker wire is just a stereo pair. Black and red is one speaker, white and green is the other.
Thanks for the reply, that is what I assumed but good to have it verified. For the linked volume control do you think I can use this 4 conductor speaker wire to power the 24 volt power supply and the speaker run back to the AVR at the same time? The only other cable that is going back to my AVR is CAT5E-so unless there is a way to use that instead...

From the website: "This unit is powered by a 24VDC power source (not included)."
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page