Playing 96/24 HD Tracks on B&K Reference 31/50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 06-11-2014, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a B&K Reference 31 (same specs as the Reference 50 without the balanced outs). I have had a Squeezebox Touch for a couple of years. I bought 5-6 album off HDTracks in FLAC 96kHz/24bit format and played them through the analog RCA outs of the Squeezebox. Now that I have the B&K I was really looking forward to hearing them through the coax SPDIF of that unit. All of my CD collection has been ripped to 44.1/16 FLAC files. All of these files play just fine with the Squeezebox coax SPDIF into the Ref 31. But when I try to play the 96/24 files, I get nothing. The Ref 31 display indicates that it recognizes a PCM 2.0 at 96kHz, but no sound comes out. If I resample the FLAC to 48/24, it plays just fine. Any ideas on why the B&K Reference 31 won't play the 96/24 files? The manual for the B&K says that :
96/24 bit A/D and 192/24 bit capable D/A Conversion - Ultra High Resolution reproduction of musical details.
96/24 bit processing - 96/24 bit digital data and analog source material use 96 kHz, 24 bit DSP processing
during all stereo listening modes.
(underlines added)
This makes me believe it should be able to handle a 96/24 file on the coax digital in. I don't know if that statement means that the 96/24 files are handled differently than the 48/24 files. I have the B&K mode set to Stereo 2 (not direct) for the Squeezebox input. Maybe some other setting needs to be changed.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Greg
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page