Reciever to reciever - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reciever to reciever

I have a Onkyo 818 which sounds good. I also Have a Harmon Kardon 7200 which really sounds much better. I want to use the preamp in the Onkyo since it has Hdmi and Audyssey but I want to use the amps in the HK since they are more powerful and sound better. My front 3 are Klipsch Lascalas and they like the HK amps. The HK has direct inputs but my question is where to set the volume on the HK. I have an IB sub setup so I also have a sub amp. I thought about setting both volumes so there is minimal trim required in the Onkyo. What do you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-13-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I think there is a lot more going on than just the amplifiers so unless you know that is causing the difference you may be disappointed. Or not, bias can be great.

Setting gains in a chain can be complicated. If you set the output of the Onkyo too high it will distort the input of the HK. Too low and noise will be higher and you might not be able to drive the HK to maximum output. If you are using the Onkyo's processing then I would do as you said and adjust the HK so that the Onkyo's trim levels are near 0 dB, after verifying that the Onkyo's output won't overdrive the HK (probably be fine).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 6 Old 06-14-2014, 02:14 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Yup. Prior to running Audyssey on the Onkyo, just as is the case with a powered sub, set the HK to about 50% power level, and then adjust accordingly to get the Onkyo trim about 0db.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 6 Old 06-14-2014, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Personally I'd sell the HK and buy a power amplifier, using the Onkyo as a pre. Rather than faffing about. That's if you prefer the sound of the Onyko as a pre, rather the HK.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #5 of 6 Old 06-14-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambers1517 View Post
I have a Onkyo 818 which sounds good. I also Have a Harmon Kardon 7200 which really sounds much better. I want to use the preamp in the Onkyo since it has Hdmi and Audyssey but I want to use the amps in the HK since they are more powerful and sound better. My front 3 are Klipsch Lascalas and they like the HK amps. The HK has direct inputs but my question is where to set the volume on the HK. I have an IB sub setup so I also have a sub amp. I thought about setting both volumes so there is minimal trim required in the Onkyo. What do you guys think.
Here how I would set it up..
1. Set the 7200 to 6/8 Channel DIRECT
2. Set the 7200 channel trims to 0dB
3. Set the 7200 Volume Control to -10dB
4. Connect 7200 Pre-Outs to the Onkyo multi-channel inputs

Double check the 7200 volume control, U may have to adjust this up/down slightly to balance with the Onkyo's other sources. The 7200 had a robust power supply and amplifier section, and will outperform many separate component power amplifiers. Its amplifier topology was designed by Richie Miller who developed many of the legacy JBL and HK amplifiers including the Citation series..

Just my $0.05...
post #6 of 6 Old 06-14-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Here how I would set it up..
1. Set the 7200 to 6/8 Channel DIRECT
2. Set the 7200 channel trims to 0dB
3. Set the 7200 Volume Control to -10dB
4. Connect 7200 Pre-Outs to the Onkyo multi-channel inputs

Double check the 7200 volume control, U may have to adjust this up/down slightly to balance with the Onkyo's other sources. The 7200 had a robust power supply and amplifier section, and will outperform many separate component power amplifiers. Its amplifier topology was designed by Richie Miller who developed many of the legacy JBL and HK amplifiers including the Citation series..

Just my $0.05...
I did exactly as you suggested. The front trims ended up at about -4 in the Onkyo and the rears and sides ended up at about +3. The sides and rears are Klipsch Heresys. I think this is really good. You are right, I don't know why but the amps in the HK sound incredible. I have had several other recievers and nothing compares. The HK amps really brought the Onkyo to life. This thing weighs about twice what the Onkyo does. Thanks, this is about perfect.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page