• 1 Post By sdurani
  • 1 Post By afrogt

post #1 of 6 Old 06-13-2014, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Using Back Surrounds for HIGH Front Sound?

I am using a Pioneer 1019 A/V Receiver, it's all connected up 7.1; I hear 99% of Surround Sound it seems from the SIDE mounted Surround Speakers, don't even notice sounds from Back Surrounds. Thus, my question, I see that one of the latest features in NEW A/Vs' is use of DPL IIz which takes the Back Surround signal + More and sends to Front High Speakers instead of even having Back Surrounds.
I can't afford to put the big bucks out for a new DPL IIz A/V receiver.....and am considering experimenting by moving my present Back Surrounds to Front High - knowing this is NOT "KOSHER" but just may add more excitement/fullness to the Theater sound.
What do YOU think?
TKS michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-13-2014, 05:13 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
DD PLIIz is actually drawn from the SIDE surround audio, although geared towards HEIGHT audio. It's your setup so no harm in trying, but will likely be strange hearing audio directed to the REAR at the top of your TV.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 6 Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post
I am using a Pioneer 1019 A/V Receiver, it's all connected up 7.1; I hear 99% of Surround Sound it seems from the SIDE mounted Surround Speakers, don't even notice sounds from Back Surrounds. Thus, my question, I see that one of the latest features in NEW A/Vs' is use of DPL IIz which takes the Back Surround signal + More and sends to Front High Speakers instead of even having Back Surrounds.
I can't afford to put the big bucks out for a new DPL IIz A/V receiver.....and am considering experimenting by moving my present Back Surrounds to Front High - knowing this is NOT "KOSHER" but just may add more excitement/fullness to the Theater sound.
What do YOU think?
TKS michael
No offense, but I think it will sound like crap. Neo x actually takes the signal from the FL/FR speakers and applies to the height channels, and the surrounds are applied to the wides.

Why would you take information that is derived for the rear speakers and place it up front? So in other words when something is happening behind you in the movie, you'd prefer to have the sound coming from the front of the room? Sounds a little wonky to me.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #4 of 6 Old 06-13-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 192
With my setup the rear surrounds were basically worthless as well. The side surrounds always overpowered them even when I verified with a sound meter all of the speakers were at their proper level. I ended up using my rear surrounds as presence speakers and couldn't be happier. In my case the center is mounted below the screen and the vocals always appeared to be coming from the floor...

My Yamaha receiver has a Dialog Lift feature which routes a portion of the center to the presence speakers and this feature works perfectly. It lifts the vocals to the center of the screen and even sitting off center the vocals are grounded towards the center of the screen and don't become too off axis when sitting in the outer seats.

I'm not too sure about routing your rear surround to the front. Perhaps moving the side surrounds forward a little along with the rear surrounds might let the rear surrounds come alive.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #5 of 6 Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
I hear 99% of Surround Sound it seems from the SIDE mounted Surround Speakers, don't even notice sounds from Back Surrounds.
Turn down your side speakers by a couple dB and turn up your rear speakers by a couple dB.
Quote:
If you don't even notice sounds from those speakers currently, why do you think will suddenly hear them when you move them to a different location? And if you do hear those speakers, then you'll be hearing sounds intended to come from behind you instead appearing from in front/above you.
cyberized likes this.

Sanjay
post #6 of 6 Old 06-14-2014, 12:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
just try it, you've got nothing to lose but a little time....
cyberized likes this.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page