How do I turn Standby OFF on my Marantz 1403? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-14-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do I turn Standby OFF on my Marantz 1403?

Hi guys...anyone know how I turn the Standby off (as in totally disable) on my Marantz 1403 Receiver?....I want to do this because my Def Tech pro cinema 8000 subwoofer will not automatically shut down when I turn the receiver off and tech support thinks it maybe the standby causing the problem...but I can not find out how to turn the freakin thing off. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-14-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Do you mean the standby HDMI passthru, or the regular standby light when you turn the receiver off?

If its the second one you'll need to unplug your receiver for that to happen. That would be a good test, unplug your receiver from the wall and see if your Def Tech sub shuts down.

I can't believe that would be causing the problem though as i've had multiple Denon/Marantz receivers and any sub I've used with an auto switch will turn off after a short period of time of not getting a signal.

Maybe the HDMI standby pass thru is causing other outputs to stay on too. But the subwoofer out is analog so it should shut down when only HDMI passthru is working.

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 06-14-2014 at 07:45 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-14-2014, 09:30 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Which tech support? Very doubtful it's the AVR. As afrogt notes, your Def Tech speakers should be shutting down on their own within about 10-15 minutes of no longer receiving a strong enough LFE signal. If not, more than likely an issue with your speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 5 Old 06-15-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Do you mean the standby HDMI passthru, or the regular standby light when you turn the receiver off?

If its the second one you'll need to unplug your receiver for that to happen. That would be a good test, unplug your receiver from the wall and see if your Def Tech sub shuts down.

I can't believe that would be causing the problem though as i've had multiple Denon/Marantz receivers and any sub I've used with an auto switch will turn off after a short period of time of not getting a signal.

Maybe the HDMI standby pass thru is causing other outputs to stay on too. But the subwoofer out is analog so it should shut down when only HDMI passthru is working.
So I tried your suggestion and unplugged the receiver from the power outlet..also unplugged the LFE...power still on to the sub. As you stated, this means that the standby is not the problem. Seems like the sub power off has an issue. As of now I have the sub plugged into an outlet with an on/off switch. It solves the problem but not in the way I would have preferred. Again, thanks for your suggestions.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-15-2014, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Which tech support? Very doubtful it's the AVR. As afrogt notes, your Def Tech speakers should be shutting down on their own within about 10-15 minutes of no longer receiving a strong enough LFE signal. If not, more than likely an issue with your speakers.
Looks like it is indeed an issue with the sub power off circuit. I tried afrogt idea and disconnected the power & LFE from the receiver - no dice, power still on at the sub....so, as of now, Im running the sub power cord into an outlet with an on/off switch and using that to kill the power to the sub. Thanks again
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page