Sudden change in Onkyo - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 2 Old 06-15-2014, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sudden change in Onkyo

I replaced a squeezebox on my Onkyo TX-8511 system with a Denon DNP-720ae.

Suddenly, what was a stable setup for 10 years, started having a problem.

The Onkyo goes into protect mode for a second or so at high volume levels, in and out.

The Onkyo goes into Sylvania SLX-8 which pipes to a number of other zones in the house.

I tried bypassing the home system with some smaller 8 Ohm speakers and did not run into the same problem, but the volume on the Onkyo did not need to be turned up nearly as high for those speakers than it did for the house setup. Nothing has changed on the home system - using same volume level as I have for quite some time.

I isolated different output devices through the main setup and still having the same problem.

Checked for shorts, and nothing came up.

Unit is not getting hot.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 06-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 217
What ohm are the "home system" speakers?

If they are 6ohm it would explain the volume difference between them and the 8 ohm ones. Most 6 ohm speakers are not as efficient as 8 ohm. Depends on how the speakers are measured for their specs.

Do you have a multimeter? If so disconnect each speaker one at a time at the receiver and check the ohms using the speaker wire. What are they per speaker? Do all of the paired/matching speakers have the same reading?

If all of that checks out ok. Disconnect all of the speakers from the receiver. Connect one speaker at at time and play at a loud volume. See if you can find which speaker is doing it. If you are able to narrow it down to one speaker I would unscrew the speakers from the cabinet and see if any of the connections are loose. Check the speaker terminals, check all of the crossover connections and check the terminals on all of the drivers.

Last edited by SiGGy; 06-15-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page