Are Receivers, Amps, and Pre Amp sales down compared to 20 years ago? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-15-2014, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Are Receivers, Amps, and Pre Amp sales down compared to 20 years ago?

Seems like people used to take pride in their units. Now its all about owning the latest fancy phone with the most storage . From what I can tell, most people only use their PC, phones, and other portable devices these days for music and movies. They consider a receiver to be a dinosaur. Very few people I talk to own one anymore.
Anybody have any figures on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-15-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well, it depends on what numbers you want.

Unit sales figures are higher, since 20 years ago, a home theatre would cost you $10k on just the audio part alone, now you can get a half decent complete kit for $500 or so.

Profits are definitely lower since they're now for the everybody and they're very price sensitive, but volume makes up for it somewhat. Of course, building to a price has it's drawbacks.

And receivers these days are very mature items. Smartphones are just maturing, in fact, most people gave a collective yawn when the number one maker released their latest model this year (Samsung Galaxy S5), or the fact that they released around 10 different tablets so far this year alone (including one last week). Unlike say last year where there was a lot of coverage and coolness, well.

And that's expected - smartphones were the hotness for the past few years. It's just like TVs - a mature product. Sure they have 3D now, and 4K, and smart stuff, with curved screens, but a yawner in general. And if you look at the numbers, TVs are still popular items - the small smartphone screens aren't terribly fun to watch as a family. I think the Netflix numbers prove it - while watching on the go is convenient, watching at home in front of the big screen is also incredibly popular.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-17-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Well, it depends on what numbers you want.

Unit sales figures are higher, since 20 years ago, a home theatre would cost you $10k on just the audio part alone, now you can get a half decent complete kit for $500 or so.
According to what? While I don't have very recent numbers, everything I've read points to a much smaller A/V industry, both units and dollars.

According to the CEA, the peak year for components (receivers, tuners, amps, preamps, processors, sound bars without players, speakers and A/V electronics) was 1990 with $1.93 billion in sales. By 1983 that dropped to $981 million. In 2009 it was $1.021 billion. Back in 2009, it was estimated that 2013 would come in at $1.912 billion, but I don't know what it actually did. And including inflation, that 1990 number would be $3.5 billion in equivalent 2014 dollars.

In 2011, Home Theatre penetration was said to be 36%, but that probably included installations with only sound bars.

The real question is how many people under the age of 35 have a stereo system or real home theatre and is that number increasing or decreasing? Judging how poorly the receiver manufacturers are doing and the industry consolidation over the last 20 years, I think the answer speaks for itself. Pioneer, for example, announced in May that it intended to sell the A/V business (except for car stereos).
post #4 of 10 Old 06-18-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

The real question is how many people under the age of 35 have a stereo system or real home theatre and is that number increasing or decreasing? Judging how poorly the receiver manufacturers are doing and the industry consolidation over the last 20 years...
Could not of worded it better!
post #5 of 10 Old 06-18-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Considering that Pioneer is exiting the AV business, the junk Onkyo is selling... It appears that the market is very competitive with brands cutting corners or losing money. It's not surprising that the market appears to be having issues.

Before, you could just buy a stereo system and keep it for years. Now, with the changing formats and standards (VHS, DVD, 720P. 1080P, Blu-Ray, Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby True HD, DTS HD Master, component video, HDMI, 4K, streaming, BlueTooth), your equipment is obsolete about every three years. Who can afford that?

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #6 of 10 Old 06-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I'd definitely say it is in decline, especially for males under 25, and to a lesser extent, males under 35. I have plenty of friends and have worked a lot of jobs over the years. Not one of my co-workers over the last 5 years of working had anything beyond a cheap HTiB. I'm the ONLY person in my immediate and extended family that has anything I'd call a decent setup. Parents have a 5.1 HTiB and everyone else uses TV speakers. The first words that usually come out of folks mouths when they see the crap I have is, " Holy crap!! "

Back in the 1980's almost EVERYONE I knew had some sort of audio setup with a pair of 3-way dinosaur speakers with a 12" or 15" driver. Seems that kids these days are perfectly content with heavily compressed audio and video played on a very small screen using Bluetooth speakers.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #7 of 10 Old 06-18-2014, 11:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I know almost no one, personally who cares much about sound quality. Ear buds, and cheap HTiB systems. Or computer speakers for audio

One friend showed some interest in a better system, maybe after hearing audio in my setup ( he said something like, your sound system is better but my TV is bigger

Perhaps a lack of interest in sound starts with the crap played on the radio in the last 10 years. Horrid auto tune artifacts, soulless pop music, seemingly dull so called modern rock songs, crappy country s__t, offensive rap music about Escalades and all the hos the singer has "had". Sorry, could not resist the editorial

Now if you listen to some The Wall, maybe you have a desire to hear it in high fidelity on a system which will move you. At last get yourself from real cans for the love of bog, not some $20 ear buds or Beatz or what have you

"But this one goes up to 11"

Last edited by MichaelJHuman; 06-19-2014 at 08:16 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-19-2014, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
Perhaps a lack of interest in sound starts with the crap played on the radio in the last 10 years. Horrid auto tune artifacts, soulless pop music, seemingly dull so called modern rock songs, crappy country s__t, offensive rap music about Escalades and all the his the singer has "had". Sorry, could not resist the editorial
well said!
post #9 of 10 Old 06-19-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I don't know anyone who takes audio quality seriously. I've given advice to people and they end up buying whatever the person at Best Buy recommends. Way overpriced crap. They don't seem to care.

My kids don't care if they watch HD or SD. I think eventually all components will be made in China. Maybe the Japanese brands will survive, but they'll be fronts for Chinese companies.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2014, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Perhaps a lack of interest in sound starts with the crap played on the radio in the last 10 years. Horrid auto tune artifacts, soulless pop music, seemingly dull so called modern rock songs, crappy country s__t, offensive rap music about Escalades and all the hos the singer has "had". Sorry, could not resist the editorial
As Al Kooper sang in his song "Going, Going, Gone"

"We used to fall in love to that deep soul music
It was the voices of the angels and they never told you no lies
Now ya got pimps, gangstas, bigtime rappers
They made the whole damn thing disappear right before our eyes

GOIN, GOIN, GONE
The things we took for granted that we always counted on
And now you only hear that music on some oldies marathons
Pretty soon it won’t even be there no mo
It’s going going gone"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List