Yamaha RX-A730 vs RX-A820 vs Denon X3000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 2 Old 06-18-2014, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Post Yamaha RX-A730 vs RX-A820 vs Denon X3000

I'm currently evaluation buying a new receiver. My current 10+ years old receiver is starting to show signs that it will not last any longer. By the age of the receiver, you probably get that it doesn't even have HDMI connection.

I'm use the receiver mostly to watch movie and play videogames on my Main TV. I have currently a 5.1 setup that I'd keep for a while until I can upgrade the speakers. My speakers are 100W rated on each one of them and all speakers are 8 ohms.

Right now, within about 100$ I have 3 options. I'm mainly looking at Yamaha and Denon since they both offer long warranty and seem to be pretty reliable.

RX-A820: This is last year model, an open box/possible demo. Cheapest option I could get. Seem to do everything I would need and more. I'm told it comes with a 4 years warranty.

RX-A730: New in box, this year model. Has fewer HDMI connectors and about 10W less than the A820. it actually cost 50$ more than the A820 but is brand new.

X3000: Currently on sales right now at a local chain (futureshop). For 100$ more than the A820. Lots of bell and whistles. Comes with a 3 years warranty?

What I want is reliability, great sound, ease of use and some features that all 3 shares (Airplay for example, they also all offer an iOS app). Zone 2 option is nice but I will probably not use it. At first, I was looking a lot at the Denon X3000 but reading some HDMI handshake issue that some users seems to have as turned me off. I keep hearing no such issue on the yamaha side and how reliable their receivers are.

I guess the main difference between Yamaha and Denon is manufacturing (yamaha makes it owns while denon's are now made in china) and YPAO vs Audessy. I think the version of YPAO frommy reading is the same between the 730 and 820. Again, please consider I am using some older speaker (that still works great mind you). They are kenwood branded.

When looking at the 820 vs the 830, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in feature. I think I'd be missing party mode and possibly the 4K compatibility. Would I be missing anything else?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 08-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 102
This maybe a bit late to respond but I have a Denon X3000 and it's great. The only time I had HDMI handshake issues is when the CEC feature was turned on with my TV and not on the AVR. Other than that no issues for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TheChive - KCCO!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - RX-A730 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page