Looking for advice on whole house surge protection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-18-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for advice on whole house surge protection

I just bought a house and I am trying to figure out what surge protection I need.

I live in Houston and we pretty much have thunder storms every other week.

I already have in-house surge protectors for my equipment ($100 power strips) but wanted to install a whole house one for added security.

Reading other threads people have recommended gas discharge arrestor and varistors etc.. But it's pretty confusing.

I trust apc and they offer this PMP1XR

I can pick it up for around $200. Would that be sufficient to for whole house protection? Combined with my in house points?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm kind of lost I all of this and want to make sure my house has got the best protection possible.

Last edited by Keltik30; 06-18-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-18-2014, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well this is pretty disappointing. AVFORUMS used to be the place to come for advice
post #3 of 6 Old 06-18-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 295
You might have to wait more than a few hours, some people have to work during the day. And probably not a lot of folk have actually installed whole-house protection.

I don't recall what we installed* but it was a commercial unit, not APC (not that APC's unit is not commercial, but mine was not an APC unit). I asked the electrician to use whatever units were common in our area. There are actually two pieces, a lightening arrester that is on the incoming service lines, and a surge protection unit at the service. I don't remember the cost, had it done when we built the house.

The APC unit is probably as good as any. At least the modules are user-replaceable; find out how often and how much.

You should Google and check out the information on various websites about the pros and cons of various types. It would take a dissertation here to explain them all. I would focus on commercial sites.

Edit: Leviton

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4 of 6 Old 06-18-2014, 06:59 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked: 1747
You'll need an electrician to install it so why not just ask his opinion on the different types he installs as it's likely only two or three at the most.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 6 Old 06-19-2014, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltik30 View Post
I just bought a house and I am trying to figure out what surge protection I need.

I live in Houston and we pretty much have thunder storms every other week.

I already have in-house surge protectors for my equipment ($100 power strips) but wanted to install a whole house one for added security.

Reading other threads people have recommended gas discharge arrestor and varistors etc.. But it's pretty confusing.

I trust apc and they offer this PMP1XR

I can pick it up for around $200. Would that be sufficient to for whole house protection? Combined with my in house points?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm kind of lost I all of this and want to make sure my house has got the best protection possible.
After having my second receiver blown up yesterday, I'm going to install this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Electrica...s/N-5yc1vZbm05
It's the highest capacity model, and they have a link to the installation manual on the page.

Note: If you have no experience working inside electrical distribution panels, hire an electrician., If you don't know what you're doing in there, you will probably die.

You will need space to install a 40A 2-pole breaker, but it is possible to piggyback onto an existing breaker, but I'm not sure that's code compliant. (One vicde shows this method. Fortunately, I have a 60A breaker near the top, from an unused electric stove circuit.
Search YouTube for "whole house surge protector installation" to see what's involved.

The lightning hit also took out my internet router ($130), and one of my garage door safety sensors ($40.00).

(Just remember to check the lights after every big storm. If the thing eats too big a surge, it may get destroyed in the process of saving your stuff, and you'll have to replace it if one or both lights are out.)

Last edited by dwarner; 06-19-2014 at 01:16 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-19-2014, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 252
We installed the Leviton in our last two homes and just installed it in our current home too... We have never had a problem with them.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page