AVS Forum banner

Onkyo "HDMI start up" Problem

12K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  KtrainHurricane 
#1 · (Edited)
Onkyo "HDMI start up" Problem...Should I Buy a New Receiver?

I just powered on everything to watch a movie, and I am not getting video or audio at all, through my TV or through my projector...both of which are connected to my Onkyo-709.

I have never had any issue with this before. Perhaps I changed a setting by sitting on the remote or something?

From what I have been reading, it seems that this may be indication of the unit needing to go in for repair. I REALLY hope that isn't the case. If it is, any ideas on what causes this?

If not, any suggestions on how to troubleshoot/fix this problem?

#2 ·
It sounds like your Onkyo is suffering from a HDMI board failure... It will have to get serviced if that is the case.

#3 ·
Yeah, that's what I gathered from the reading I have done. I am really upset about this...have only been using this for about 1.5 years. Unfortunately, it seems to be common with Onkyo I guess.

Do you have any further info on getting it serviced? Should I just call Onkyo or is there another alternative (local, "authorized" repair shops?). Or would you happen to know the ballpark cost of this? Seems like the 709 has lost its resale value and is down to about ~$200 on eBay. I just hope the cost of repair isn't anywhere near that...

#4 · (Edited)
Just did the firmware update and that seemed to solve the problem. Thank God! Definitely a big sigh of relief...for now at least.

Because of this issue and some write-ups I have seen that speak negatively of these Onkyo receivers, I have been thinking about selling it and getting something else, in case a board failure is destined for the future.

Before I bought the 709, I was comparing it to the Denon 3311. If I were to sell my Onkyo and purchase a refurbished 3311, I would only be out ~$150 or so. I also heard Pioneer makes some decent units. Any opinions on whether or not I should make that "trade"? I just want something with similar features - at least 7.1 with pre-outs for hooking up an external amp, a "learning remote," etc - that I won't have to worry about failing in the near future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.