Turning volume up max turns on prot. mode - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Turning volume up max turns on prot. mode

When I turn up the volume on my receiver to very high levels, it enters protection mode.

Here's the setup:

Onkyo, 100watts per channel, min RMS, at 8 Ohms
Feeds from Channel into Sylvania Impedance-Matching with 8 pair speaker selector, 150W per channel.
Goes out to to 2x JA Audio , 8 Ohms each per room selector, 10 to 100 watts power handling efficiency handling 1w/1m at 90db.

I have bookshelf speakers that I can connect to the receiver and turn up to high volume. When I play through the selector, I have to turn the volume WAY up to get satisfactory sound.

Lately the receiver has cut in and out with protect mode when the volume gets very high through the selector. Protect mode hits for about 2 to 4 seconds and then outputs sound again.

No heat coming from unit. Lots of ventilation. Checked for shorts.

Question:

Could there be too much power drain on the receiver to the speaker selector at very high levels?

I have troubleshot most of the other variables.

I've been looking into wattage, impedance, shorts, components, etc and it doesn't seem to be there.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-18-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Obviously, your Onkyo is going into protect mode because you are going beyond the capabilities of the amp... While the amp is rated 100-watts, that is usually only with two channels. When driving multiple channels, most amps will only deliver about 20-30 watts max. You don't say how many speakers you are using when this happens. If you only use two speakers and it sounds fine, and then drive everything at once, you are running out of power.

What model Onkyo do you have? In order to drive several speakers at once to loud levels, you will need an amp with a large power supply. Better AVRs weigh about 50-60 lbs. They can drive most systems with ease. If you have a 20-30 lb AVR, then it will have a small power supply which limits the output.

In other words, you really get what you pay for.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #3 of 4 Old 06-18-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I would fully expect the behavior you see. That's what the protection circuits are for. To protect the receiver from damage when owners try to overdrive it.

If it was doing it at reasonable volumes I would be concerned, but it sounds like you are trying to make it go to protect

Note that the selector itself could be causing issues. I could not figure out if you tested without it

"But this one goes up to 11"

Last edited by MichaelJHuman; 06-18-2014 at 11:18 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-19-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
As Michael pointed out those inexpensive external speaker switches cause many problems...
They load the amplifier in a strange way that it doesn't like..
Disconnect it and run the loudspeakers directly from the AVR...

Now try it and post back the results..

Just my $0.05...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page