Add a two, five or seven channel Emotiva Amp to my Denon AVR-X4000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Add a two, five or seven channel Emotiva Amp to my Denon AVR-X4000?

My new Denon AVR-X4000 does not have the same "punch" or warmth as my old AVR-2809. It also runs a good bit hotter.

I'm considering adding an Emotiva UPA-200, 500 or 700.

Since the UPA-200 is cheaper, weighs less, and would provide more power to my two front main speakers (Dahlquist 9-Cs), it seems like the most logical choice. The Denon should have plenty of power for the center and surrounds, especially with no load on the front amps. Am I missing something in my thought process?

Also, is it safe to assume that Audyssey will compensate for the extra power in the front two channels, and not overpower the main speakers during the setup process?

Last edited by bmwetr; 06-19-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwetr View Post
My new Denon AVR-X4000 does not have the same "punch" or warmth as my old AVR-2809. It also runs a good bit hotter.

I'm considering adding an Emotiva UPA-200, 500 or 700.

Since the UPA-200 is cheaper, weighs less, and would provide more power to my two front main speakers (Dahlquist 9-Cs), it seems like the most logical choice. The Denon should have plenty of power for the center and surrounds, especially with no load on the front amps. Am I missing something in my thought process?

Also, is it safe to assume that Audyssey will compensate for the extra power in the front two channels,and not overpower the main speakers during the setup process?

You are correct in your assessments. Taking the 2 front channels off the receiver should keep it cooler. Plus you can run a 9 channel system with an external amp. Audyssey will handle the gain the same as if the receiver were driving all the channels.

I doubt you'll notice any improvement in sound quality unless there was something wrong with your receiver.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 09:54 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
After running Audyssey, there should be a noticeable improvement in quality as compared to your older 2809CI. Also there should be no difference in power so unless you have the X4000 volume maxed out (ie > 80 or 0db) and are hearing distortion, adding the Emo amp is not likely to make a difference. Did you run Audyssey using either a mic boom stand or camera tripod as indicated in the manual? My X4000 does not get any hotter than about 115 degrees F when powering 7 fairly efficient 8-ohm speakers to near reference volume level for several hours. Also note that as most of the heat is generated from the video chip, using an external amp may not drop the unit's temp much.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-19-2014 at 09:59 AM.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Personally, I would do the XPA-3 to provide equal power to all channels. The center seems to need equal power, especially if your center is like mine, and has a lower sensitivity. It's heavy though, and maybe outside your budget. Of course it will help somewhat to take some load off the receiver with any of your options.

Not sure about this missing "punch", can't help there, but if it's power you lack, the XPA-3 will likely provide more than you can use

The UPA might be ok, but it puts out only 80 watts into 8 and which on paper isn't much more than your typical AVR. As it has a nice 4 ohm spec it might do better in real world use. Not sure if it's power supply is substantially better than your AVRs. The price is nice though
Bassment likes this.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #5 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
Personally, I would do the XPA-3 to provide equal power to all channels. The center seems to need equal power, especially if your center is like mine, and has a lower sensitivity. It's heavy though, and maybe outside your budget. Of course it will help somewhat to take some load off the receiver with any of your options.

Not sure about this missing "punch", can't help there, but if it's power you lack, the XPA-3 will likely provide more than you can use

The UPA might be ok, but it puts out only 80 watts into 8 and which on paper isn't much more than your typical AVR. As it has a nice 4 ohm spec it might do better in real world use. Not sure if it's power supply is substantially better than your AVRs. The price is nice though
the UPA-200 is 125 watt into 8. I am using it to run my front wides.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-02-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who provided their guidance. Based on your posts I decided not to add an additional amp.

I did purchase a Coolerguys Quiet120mm AC Powered Receiver/Component Cooling Fan to reduce the temperature of the receiver. It has made a huge difference, and the top of the receiver is now cool to the touch after many hours of operation. I hooked it up through a Smart Strip PowerStrip, so the fan only runs when the receiver is on.

Last edited by bmwetr; 07-02-2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Site eliminates spaces between words
post #7 of 12 Old 07-02-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwetr View Post
Thanks to everyone who provided their guidance. Based on your posts I decided not to add an additional amp.

I did purchase a Coolerguys Quiet120mm AC Powered Receiver/Component Cooling Fan to reduce the temperature of the receiver. It has made a huge difference, and the top of the receiver is now cool to the touch after many hours of operation. I hooked it up through a Smart Strip PowerStrip, so the fan only runs when the receiver is on.
Hello,

I had the X4000 with an Emotiva XPA-5 and the Denon preouts weren't strong enough to properly drive the amp. I also could hear DAC noise from the Denon I could not hear from other units I have tried (I am an Integrator and have access to alot of things to try). In the end I bought a Emotiva UMC-200 and sold the Denon, and returned the other items and never looks back.

Other Items:

Integra DHC-80.2
Integra DTR-40.3
Integra DTC-9.8
Marantz SR6008
post #8 of 12 Old 07-03-2014, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanmeng View Post
Hello,

I had the X4000 with an Emotiva XPA-5 and the Denon preouts weren't strong enough to properly drive the amp. I also could hear DAC noise from the Denon I could not hear from other units I have tried (I am an Integrator and have access to alot of things to try). In the end I bought a Emotiva UMC-200 and sold the Denon, and returned the other items and never looks back.

Other Items:

Integra DHC-80.2
Integra DTR-40.3
Integra DTC-9.8
Marantz SR6008
Hi,

I have the XPA-2 and XPA-5 and was planning to add the Denon x-4000. Can you please explain the problems you had with this combo? Does anyone else have input on this? When the x-4100 comes out, I suspect the x-4000 will price drop significantly (to about $650) and that's when I was planning to pull the trigger, but would reconsider if there would be an issue with the sound.

Thanks.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-04-2014, 02:55 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
^^
There have been a number of X4000 owners who have posted in the Owner's thread of using an Emotiva amp,none of which have had any issues doing so.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10 of 12 Old 07-04-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanmeng View Post
Hello,

Other Items:

Integra DHC-80.2
Integra DTR-40.3
Integra DTC-9.8
Marantz SR6008
Receiver doesn't "drive" the amp
That noise you heard was most likely an issue with a ground or the amp. Emo threads have a number of users who report a small amount of audible noise after installing their amps to which the Emo expert - Keith - has said was normal (that guy is a joke by the way). If you heard "noise" just using the receiver that may have implied an issue with the receiver. The Emo pre is good unit/value but requires the user to put up with some bugs - see its thread. Implying that it is a superior solution to the units you listed based on its ability to drive an amp
post #11 of 12 Old 07-04-2014, 09:14 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 713
The AVR should handle things famously without any help from an external amp.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-04-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
The AVR should handle things famously without any help from an external amp.
From personal experience with the X4000 it will shut down running it at reference level all 7 channels driven for 15 + minutes!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - AVR-X4000? by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page