Torn between choosing a receiver, need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Torn between choosing a receiver, need help

I've been looking at the Integra DTR 30.5 and the Pioneer Elite VSX-80 for the past few weeks now.

I'm not extremely knowledgeable when it comes to receivers and I have no idea what is the difference between the two receivers aside from the price. I've looked at the features that both provide as well as the power specs and the biggest difference I could pinpoint was one was digital and the other was analog. Aside from that I can't tell a difference between the two, can anyone who is more knowledgeable tell me if there's any glaring issues someone who is ignorant would not know about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Stuff to look at -

* HDMI version, and whether it supports 4k ( 4k doesn't seem too important at this time, but if one supported it and one did not, it might be worth thinking about)
* Digital service support (Spotify, Airplay, Pandora, etc.)
* If you have need for analog audio, component video or other legacy connections make sure a receiver you are buying has what you need; if only needing HDMI, you won't need to worry unless you need a lot of HDMI inputs ( Four should be the minimum these days on any reputable receiver)

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 06-20-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
What devices will you be connecting to this AV receiver?

Afro GT
Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
What devices will you be connecting to this AV receiver?
At the moment 2 paradigm studio 60's and 2 proficient audio NFM5's for rears. In the future it will include paradigm studio 10s, and paradigm studio CC490 (or 590 haven't decided yet), with the proficient audio being used perhaps as a second zone or something else.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 498
By "devices" I suspect he also meant what players -- TV, projector, Blu-ray, phonograph turntable, VCR, Chromecast, computer .... e.g. the quality of the phono input (or even if it has one) might be a deciding factor to be considered.

Personally I'd be biased toward the Integra because it includes Audyssey room correction. While Pioneer's MCACC is reasonably good, it doesn't equalize the lowest frequencies.

You also might want to wait a few more weeks for Onkyo's announcements about this year's Integra models. The inclusion of Dolby Atmos might be something else to consider.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped