AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Goodbye Onkyo! (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1573673-goodbye-onkyo.html)

HB GAMER 06-20-2014 02:36 PM

Goodbye Onkyo!

Today you lost a customer! I have been a long time supporter but after my lightly used 805 had intermittent HDMI drops and then a complete HDMI out failure, your customer service has been atrocious! Search the net, Avs forum, amazon for Onkyo HDMI failure. You have been having receivers fail for the last 7 years! Your products are disposable! When I called, nothing we can do. I complained on FB and Twitter, a waste of a month of my time only to be offered a previous failed unit at a discount for a few bucks cheaper than Amazon. Once Onkyo was sold so was the quality. If consumers are now expected to throw away receivers I will buy the Sony 1040 CNET best buy for 399. It is a price I am willing to pay to get past a bad relationship! Goodbye and good riddance Onkyo!

Elmo C 06-20-2014 02:51 PM

Well.....you prolly been pretty lucky. My 805 HDMI went out many years ago after very very light use. I have had 5 different units in the same spot since then, the newer avrs have better features anyway and even the cheaper ones have improved sound to me. Still, I see your point and Onkyo really let its faithful down. If your unit was a few gen newer I'd like to think they would have fixed it for about $50 shipping? Best of luck on a new purchase.

Goat1 06-20-2014 05:05 PM

I gave my 805 to my brother,still works great as does my 818. If you have had it for a long time,you were due for an upgrade anyhow.

Archaea 06-20-2014 06:08 PM

Seven year old product dies after it's two year warranty expired five years ago......what was your expectation?

How could Onkyo have made it right in your eyes?

K5/SS 06-20-2014 06:47 PM

Haha! My thoughts exactly..

HB GAMER 06-20-2014 07:31 PM

With such well documented and continued HDMI failures, I would expect them to grant a out of warrantee repair. I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 and really, older pioneer that lives outside and 40 year pioneer and all still work which brings me back to my point, Onkyo is designed to be disposable.

arc and k5, I hope your rigs die as soon as they fall out of warrantee as you equate that to product life.

NODES 06-20-2014 07:36 PM

a 6 year old unit....I think they are replacing 808/809 that do not have any warranty left.

afrogt 06-20-2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HB GAMER (Post 25137265)
With such well documented and continued HDMI failures, I would expect them to grant a out of warrantee repair. I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 and really, older pioneer that lives outside and 40 year pioneer and all still work which brings me back to my point, Onkyo is designed to be disposable.

arc and k5, I hope your rigs die as soon as they fall out of warrantee as you equate that to product life.

Dude, that's so wrong. Your Onkyo 805 died 4-5 years out of warranty. Did you really expect them to fix or replace it for you?

mastermaybe 06-20-2014 08:21 PM

Honestly, how many more knives-out "how "x" person was wronged by "y" avr manufacturer when their 5-10 yr-old receiver buys it" threads do we need?

Gotta be 100+ now. Seriously, there should be a dedicated forum for this.

Carry on I guess.

James

KidHorn 06-21-2014 05:11 AM

With Onkyo's reliability problems and now with them dropping Audyssey, why would anyone buy a 2014 Onkyo?

rcohen 06-21-2014 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidHorn (Post 25142970)
With Onkyo's reliability problems and now with them dropping Audyssey, why would anyone buy a 2014 Onkyo?

They've always been reliable for me, but dropping Audyssey for what looks to be a low end room correction system is a mortal sin, as far as I'm concerned.

Archaea 06-21-2014 05:48 AM

Its likely because Onkyo will be adding Dolby Atmos and doesn't want to have the Audyssey proccessing cost or hardware requirements for Audyssey.

Check out the new Denon thread. Atmos will be out this year! However, using atmos and Audyssey requires four realtime effect processors (2 for Audyssey) on the new denons making them very expensive. Hopefully Onkyo is cutting Audyssey to give us Atmos at a reduced price. I've tried all flavors of Audyssey and don't care much for it, so the swap suites me just fine. I turn it off on my Onkyo PR-SC5508, did on my TX-NR818, did on my TX-NR1007, and on my TX-NR805. I've tried it on several different speakers in my two rooms. Its not for me, it makes the highs too bright IMO.

FMW 06-21-2014 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 25135569)
Seven year old product dies after it's two year warranty expired five years ago......what was your expectation?

How could Onkyo have made it right in your eyes?

Probably by fixing the HDMI board problems years ago.

Lttrader 06-21-2014 08:01 AM

Seems that the same posters show up on each thread to blast Onkyo? Must get tedious doing that over and over and besides the point has been made already.

FMW 06-21-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lttrader (Post 25145842)
Seems that the same posters show up on each thread to blast Onkyo? Must get tedious doing that over and over and besides the point has been made already.

Seems like the same posters show to defend the indefensible.

D Bone 06-21-2014 08:46 AM

I am a 1 and done Onkyo owner. My 709 died after 13 months. I had to drive it over 70 miles one way to the only authorized shop that Onkyo would allow to fix it. I could have shipped it, but I was told I would be responsible for shipping costs both ways, so my time and gas was cheaper. I sold the unit on ebay for $440 shipped and purchased another brand.

I would've overlooked the failure as "stuff happens", but Onkyo's caviler attitude of "ship it at your own cost, period" has forever cost them a customer........................... Well, that and the well documented history of HDMI failures LMAO. ;)

Lttrader 06-21-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMW (Post 25145898)

I haven't been here long enough to take credit for doing anything over and over yet but thanks anyway.

DblHelix 06-21-2014 12:12 PM

I am done with Onkyo as well. 1 year old TX-NR5009 just got back from getting the HDMI board replaced and it still locks up when I change channels on my Tivo. Going either Marantz or Pioneer. I have never had an issue with either.

IntelliVolume 06-21-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goat1 (Post 25134329)
If you have had it for a long time,you were due for an upgrade anyhow.

I don't see that as being necessarily logical or true -- what if, as in my case, your current AVR does everything you want and you don't really "need" an upgrade? To me, my 605 as vintage as it is still does everything I need it to do -- lossless decoding, HDMI passthrough, etc. -- as I don't rely on auto setup programs or room correction algorithms (so the brand new models stuffed to the gills with compression modes and late night viewing options and all kind of equalization techniques don't really appeal to me) etc.

The one thing I WOULD like to upgrade to, however, is more power from an AVR, and one with preouts for adding an amp down the road...and, of course, for this I would have to replace the 605...

HB GAMER 06-27-2014 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMW (Post 25145898)

Tell me about it! My baby dies and I am told I deserve it! I don't get people these days.

M Code 06-27-2014 08:27 AM

Hmmm....
How many of the guys complaining.....
Failed to follow Onkyo's instructions to provide 6" of free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover.... :rolleyes:

Just my $0.05... ;)

Jon S 06-27-2014 09:59 AM

My two 905s and one 906 all had HDMI problems... They were all out in open shelves with 120mm PC fans on top and still they failed. All failed at about the two year mark, one within warranty, the other two was about a month or so after thewarranty expired.

smurraybhm 06-27-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Code (Post 25308337)
Hmmm....
Failed to follow Onkyo's instructions to provide 6" of free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover.... :rolleyes:

Just my $0.05... ;)

Me for one - it was the only thing sitting on top of the table with nothing on top and 6 feet of clearance to the ceiling and over a foot to the left/right. Laughable you would even attempt to say ventilation caused all these failures or imply it - where are all the bad boards for those owning Pioneer, Denon, NAD, Marantz, etc. :rolleyes:

ndskurfer 06-27-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Code (Post 25308337)
Hmmm....

Just my $0.05... ;)

M Code, I have been refraining on commenting as I have voiced my opinion in a prior thread. I'm sure some of the fried Onkyos were not helped by some owner's placement. Regardless, you would think that those that suffacate their components are not limited to Onkyo owners...

Of my 3 failed Onkyo's (out of 3...), all have had well more than the recommended clearance... They failed due to a poor design.

Not a fan of Onkyo anymore here. Nothing more to add..

Chatoboy 06-27-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndskurfer (Post 25311969)
M Code, I have been refraining on commenting as I have voiced my opinion in a prior thread. I'm sure some of the fried Onkyos were not helped by some owner's placement. Regardless, you would think that those that suffacate their components are not limited to Onkyo owners...

Of my 3 failed Onkyo's (out of 3...), all have had well more than the recommended clearance... They failed due to a poor design.

Not a fan of Onkyo anymore here. Nothing more to add..

I'm in the same boat. My 818 is in for service (been 3 months now) and yesterday my 708 is having the HDMI no sound issue. I sat on hold for 20 minutes today until I finally hung up.

I also took extra precautions, leaving enough ventilation space and running an external fan whenever the unit was on. After talking to my local service center they didn't think it had to do with heat as much as a poor HDMI design problem. I hope Onkyo will step up and repair my 708 even though it is out of warranty, if not I definitely will not buy another Onkyo product.:mad:

FMW 06-27-2014 11:54 AM

Things could get worse. Onkyo is in the process of buying Pioneer's A/V business which is about 3 times bigger than they are. I wouldn't get anywhere near either brand despite my being a Pioneer fan for many years. Yamaha next for me.

ndskurfer 06-27-2014 12:51 PM

I should note, no av company should be liable for a device 5 years past warranty. So the OP's request above is asking more than he is owed. But I completely understand his frustration.

The problem here is, Onkyo sells a product that is poorly designed. I have referred many receivers for friends in the past year, none of which are Onkyo, so I guess that is the best I can response to them ripping me off.

I have since purchased a Denon for a 3rd system in my home. Can't wait to see how it compares to my other working receivers - my Marantz has had zero issues in the past 2 years, my Emotiva umc200 has had 1 minor issue that is workable, and my 2002 avr225 Harman Kardon has had zero issues and is still running strong today (although lacks many features).

M Code 06-27-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurraybhm (Post 25310993)
Me for one - it was the only thing sitting on top of the table with nothing on top and 6 feet of clearance to the ceiling and over a foot to the left/right. Laughable you would even attempt to say ventilation caused all these failures or imply it - where are all the bad boards for those owning Pioneer, Denon, NAD, Marantz, etc. :rolleyes:

We have installed well over 100 Onkyo/Integra AVRs in the last 4 years with only 1 failure..
And that single failure was a result of a power line surge...
All brands of AVRs can fail, and if the component is not given adequate free-air clearance its reliability will suffer significantly...
The life of an electronic device is directly related to its operating temperature. Each 10°C (18°F) temperature rise reduces component life by 50%. Conversely, each 10°C (18°F) temperature reduction increases component life by 100%. Therefore, it is recommended that the AVR be kept as cool as possible for maximum reliability and longevity. Todays' AVRs can run hot with overclocked processors for audio, video and connectivity plus the Onkyo/Integra's amplifiers utilize a high bias setting....

Just my $0.05... ;)

smurraybhm 06-27-2014 03:04 PM

Too many of us have high failure rates for the number of Onkyo AVRs we have owned - in my case I was 1 out of 2 before moving to a Pioneer Elite. I have owned a lot of different brands of receivers over almost 40 years of buying a/v equipment - none of them ever ran as hot as either Onkyo nor did one ever fail. Onkyo was the only brand were I had to use a usb powered fan to help keep it cool. Can't help but think there is a correlation, but in the end I don't care because I won't be buying another. Since have owned Pioneer Elite, a regular Pioneer receiver and Denon - all are still working - but so is the Onkyo 705 being used by my wife's son :)

FMW - it will take time before Onkyo influences what Pioneer builds (if they do), but with that in mind I am very interested in their SC-89 or SC-88 this year.

Bill Mac 06-27-2014 09:03 PM

I had three Onkyos (805, 885 and 886) without a single problem. All three were in a rack with minimal overhead ventiliation but a fan was used. By the sheer number of posts of Onkyo HDMI board failures indicates I was lucky not to have any issues. When I decided to get a processor with Audyssey XT32 I decided on the Denon 4311. I really thought if I bought another Onkyo I might be pushing my luck. As much as I enjoyed the Onkyos I owned I don't blame anyone that had failures for never buying another one. Onkyo had more than enough time to correct the HDMI board issues with their processors over a number of years and product line changes.

Bill