post #3181 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
AFAIK, sound has never commanded a price premium, either in commercial cinema or HT, so I am expecting an Atmos BD will cost the same as a current DTS-HD MA or TrueHD BD.
Yup, one of the local Atmos installs (Buena Park) is not in a premium auditorium, so the ticket price is the same as the rest of the multiplex, irrespective of whether they are showing an Atmos movie or not. Can't beat an Atmos matinee for just $7.50 (if you can handle the re-cycled Styrofoam they sell as "popcorn").
Scott Simonian likes this.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Yup, one of the local Atmos installs (Buena Park) is not in a premium auditorium, so the ticket price is the same as the rest of the multiplex, irrespective of whether they are showing an Atmos movie or not. Can't beat an Atmos matinee for just $7.50 (if you can handle the re-cycled Styrofoam they sell as "popcorn").
Nachos, my good friend.

*whispers* Nachos...

ambesolman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #3183 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Mmmm, nachos. Can drink the cheese sauce as a beverage.

Sanjay
post #3184 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

It doesn't matter if I have Gone with the Wind in 7.1 even though it wasn't originally. As it exists on disk it is a true 8ch signal.

It may be a true 8 channel signal, but that does not make it a true 8 channel mix.
post #3185 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
I am not sure if Atmos will gain traction in a home setting in the near future. However, if Atmos becomes a standard no cost option in every AVR then a lot of people will play around with it. Then again, will all Atmos decoders be "the same" or will their be Atmos decoder "tiers"? A lot of people do not even use a dedicated 5.1 sound system with their large screen TV sets. As a side note I have a 3D capable bluray player and 3D capable TV, but I have never watched a 3D encoded movie at home. Not sure if I ever will either.

Object-based audio is not just about "more speakers". We'll have to wait to see just what improved user interactive features will be offered on Atmos BDs . . . and (tragically!) there also exists the real possibility of location-dependent and|or internet-replaceable ("background audio") product placement!

A radio that is able to change a broadcast depending on where you are and what you are doing has been demonstrated by the BBC (link)
_

[
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Last edited by SoundChex; 08-06-2014 at 10:20 AM.
post #3186 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post
Object-based audio is not just about "more speakers". We'll have to wait to see just what improved user interactive features will be offered on Atmos BDs . . . and (tragically!) there also exists the real possibility of location-dependent and|or internet-replaceable ("background audio") product placement!

Seems like a lot of people here act like teenage girls. They just love to be in love!
Dan Hitchman likes this.
post #3187 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Agh!

*CCcccccrrrruuuuuuunnnnnnccccccchhhhhh!*

Quote:
It may be a true 8 channel signal, but that does not make it a true 8 channel mix.
Why not?

Is an actual 7.1 signal not "true" if it was remixed into 7.1?

That makes no sense. It's one thing to mention if a film has been remixed but if the time was put into making a whole new mix whether it was from mono, stereo, surround or what you .... it is still a true 'mix'. The only time it is not is if your home audio device is using it's post-process upmixing (ie: Prologic, NEOX, etc) to do it from something that is <7.1 on disk.
Dan Hitchman likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #3188 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Shut up! Just shut your trap!

Move along... nothing to see here!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3189 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Seems like a lot of people here act like teenage girls. They just love to be in love!

We're all swooning over Dolby's promises of audio nirvana! Catch me! I declare, I do believe I might just have the vapors!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 08-06-2014 at 10:22 AM.
post #3190 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Lol I just had a visual of you pouring the nacho cheese like you do your sodas.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #3191 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Straight, no ice.

Sanjay
post #3192 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Lol I just had a visual of you pouring the nacho cheese like you do your sodas.
Cinema concessions: Disgustingly delicious!

post #3193 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Actually, Atmos does command a higher price per ticket because theater owners have wrapped it within their "premium" auditorium pricing structure. It used to be that giant screen auditoriums were just standard ticketed items, but not any more.

It boils down to whether or not the studios will look at Atmos and DTS-UHD on home video the same way.
It costs more because they have a bigger screen, better projection, premium seating, seat reservations etc. Not just because of Atmos. I guess we can’t separate them out easily, but it seems to me, based on the promotional material used by the theaters, that the extra cost is justified by the things I mentioned and not by Atmos which is a kind of afterthought. Picture always takes precedence over sound it seems.

post #3194 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
I understand the core+extension approach of DTS and Dolby's codecs, however the language used in the lastest white paper for the Atmos "substream" could leave one with the impression that it contains a full soundtrack encoded as metadata+objects only. That, after all, was always a possibility as a means to deliver soundtracks without using channels.
That's what it supposedly is: all objects "downmixed" with additional metadata. "We have added a fourth substream for Dolby Atmos sound. This substream represents a losslessly encoded fully object-based mix."
How do they do it? We don't know. "We’ve met that challenge with a technology called spatial audio coding."

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #3195 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
Today I would guess the number is 75-80%.

Don't expect the number to change because of Atmos. However, I suspect some of the initial release will not be due to the simple fact that there are very few studios setup to do so at this point. We're sciguring this out now.
Wow, 75-80% is pretty high. I would have guessed less. Do you need a near-field re-recording mixer at your place?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #3196 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
The x,y coordinates will determine left/right and front/back. The z coordinate determines height.
And there is also a parameter for the size/spread of an object.
post #3197 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Wow, 75-80% is pretty high. I would have guessed less. Do you need a near-field re-recording mixer at your place?
It's is much more commonplace today than even 3 years ago.

No.. always just looking for regular old mixers (who will then do their own NF's).
post #3198 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Have you folks noticed on that scheme that there are two pair of speakers between LCR? In commercial Atmos, it's only one pair. The Left and Right are now at a whopping +/- 45°!

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR.
post #3199 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
How could it do this other than with "subobjects", i.e. different parts of an object emitting different sounds?

Because using more speakers just changes the location of the object, and reverb gives cues as to the space the object is in, not its size.

Noah
post #3200 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
How could it do this other than with "subobjects", i.e. different parts of an object emitting different sounds?

Because using more speakers just changes the location of the object, and reverb gives cues as to the space the object is in, not its size.
I'm not sure why it's confusing.

It's much more apparent why this is necessary in a theatrical setting because there are still arrays used for the surrounds in the bed.. If we're mixing for a typical cinema, we might want the object to emirate from a point that is "wider" than one speaker....

For instance ambient wind or even a car driving around the theater...

One of the big reasons it was requested was to do what you refer to... a sound might have associated reverb that should spread out around the object and travel with it... no sub objects... just use more..... it's really cool when you rotate such things around the room.
post #3201 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Congratulations! You have pretty much reinvented the downmix capability strategy employed with Hamasaki 22.2 audio as it is currently being implemented by NHK Japanese TV as the audio component of their forthcoming SHV broadcast technology. (Nonetheless, it seems they may still intend to implement a hybrid channel|object-based audio delivery mechanism in the form of (possibly only static) user-interactive objects.)
_
Guess that means my idea was sound then? ( Will have to google what that Hamasaki thing is, though. )

Under construction:
post #3202 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I cropped the size/spread slider out of the pics I posted so as not to open up another can of worms.

Sanjay
post #3203 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
I'm not sure why it's confusing.
Maybe because I first thought of a parameter as a single variable, whereas there must be a lot more to the inner workings to give an object size.

Your explanation was helpful though, thanks.

Noah
post #3204 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I would think that most people will just do 5.1.2 with adding top speakers in the ceiling between MLP and front speakers or upfiring Atmos speakers that sit on top of my front main speakers.. Hopefully audyssey will do the rest, i want it simple i don't own a sliderule and most of us are in small rooms with hardly enough room to put 5.1 surrounds.....
untill i get my Atmos receiver it's all speculation... I personally want 5.2.4 but i should be happy with an entry level AVR for now doing 5.2.2 especially being a first generation Atmos...

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
post #3205 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
For the sake of completeness:

Object size/spread parameter ranges from 0 to 100.

At 0, the object is not being spread (object size is effectively off), so the sound goes to the speaker(s) nearest its coordinates. At 100, the object is spread to all speakers, irrespective of coordinates.

The pics above shows an object (size = 26) being panned.

Sanjay
post #3206 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AT screen and up firing speakers

Sorry if I've missed it.
Has there been any discussion on the use of the up firing speakers when behind an AT screen?
I am planning for a large AT screen and had planned on just putting all the front speakers behind it, not just the center. Typically the AT screen is secured to the ceiling in some fashion as it sits 1-3 feet from the front (treated) wall. Since the screen is typically down some measure from the ceiling there could be room for the up firing part of the speakers to bounce their signal over the screen but that seems they would be severely limited in terms of angles. (9 ft ceiling in my case, but more is better.)

Alternatively, would the up firing speakers work as well firing through the AT screen?

Has Dolby Atmos, Pioneer, anyone else looked into the AT aspect?

Paul
post #3207 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
At 0, the object is not being spread (object size is effectively off), so the sound goes to the speaker(s) nearest its coordinates.
Does it? I thought "snap to nearest speaker" is optional?

Markus

post #3208 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
Sorry if I've missed it.
Has there been any discussion on the use of the up firing speakers when behind an AT screen?
I am planning for a large AT screen and had planned on just putting all the front speakers behind it, not just the center. Typically the AT screen is secured to the ceiling in some fashion as it sits 1-3 feet from the front (treated) wall. Since the screen is typically down some measure from the ceiling there could be room for the up firing part of the speakers to bounce their signal over the screen but that seems they would be severely limited in terms of angles. (9 ft ceiling in my case, but more is better.)

Alternatively, would the up firing speakers work as well firing through the AT screen?

Paul
There are so many uncertainties with these fixed-mounted ceiling-firing speakers, an AT screen has just a minor impact. Any loss caused by the screen can be made up with EQ.

The biggest problem with the Pioneer speakers is that they can't be angled. They seem to have a fixed angle of 15° which assumes that the speaker is very close to the listener. About 3'. If you're further away you need larger angles.

Markus

post #3209 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
Sorry if I've missed it.

Paul
I'm thinking it would be better to have real on-ceiling, timbre matched, wide-dispersion monopole speakers in your case. I would also wire for at least five behind the screen speakers, if it's big enough to warrant more than the basic three.

post #3210 of 8107 Old 08-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right I think on ceiling is the 'approved solution' and angled speakers (ala Pioneer) are in the also good category. I just read a post that indicated the listeners could not tell the difference between the two methods but that was in a million dollar theater that exceeds the capabilities of most home theaters.
With 9 ft ceiling I do not know that is enough height to get the effect. I could still wire for them but even with DD/GG ceiling the holes present a sound transmission avenue. Backer boxes are only so effective. I can certainly run more wire to the front wall though.
(and here I was about to drywall the ceiling next week.)

Paul
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page