post #3421 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Honestly, I wish it were called something else and not something of the same name that has been around for the past 30 years.

Kind of cornfusing, even for me. But I guess I'll get used to it.

"Hey man. This 7.1 sounds great in Dolby Surround!"

"Umm... that thing I was using on my old Technics back in 1990?"

Do you mean Dolby Surround, or Dolby surround upmixing vias an Atmos processor?

What are you going to call the thousands and thousands of DVDs that are encoded with the "old" Dolby Surround format (AKA matrix) if Dolby Surround is not Dolby Surround any more?
JohnAV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
You were yelling at me:

"The exclamation mark or exclamation point is a punctuation mark usually used after an interjection or exclamation to indicate strong feelings or high volume (shouting), and often marks the end of a sentence."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclamation_mark

Your comments are grounds for divorce in Texas (spoken like John Wayne in the Searchers). Verbal abuse!
post #3423 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

What are you going to call the thousands and thousands of DVDs that are encoded with the "old" Dolby Surround format (AKA matrix) if Dolby Surround is not Dolby Surround any more?

Lol!

I know, right?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #3424 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Onkyo TX-NR636 7.2-Ch Dolby Atmos Ready Network A/V Receiver for $600. One single unit setup.
1. That receiver has a useless AccuEQ Auto Room Correction and EQ system.
2. Dolby Atmos is not in yet.
3. The processing power and the amplification in that receiver is best suited for HTIB aficionados,
who use little cube Bose speakers, and a mini-subwoofer with a 5" driver.

Best is to go above with another brand; Denon, or Marantz, or Pioneer, or Yamaha.
Onkyo/Integra is no more in 2014; they left the most important engine, Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
Less than that is just cheap whiskey.

The times are now calling for other brands. ...The true serious players.
* I'm most probably going with Marantz myself. ...And you don't have to ask me why if you already know my priorities.

** Would love the Emotiva XMC-1 with Dirac Live LE, but it does not have Dolby Atmos.
And even if I wouldn't shed tears over it (like Kal Rubinson), I still want Do!by Atmos in my !ife, abso!ute!y, irrevocab!y and unequivoca!!y, ...not a single teardrop of a doubt about it.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-08-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Few typos
post #3425 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Your comments are grounds for divorce in Texas (spoken like John Wayne in the Searchers). Verbal abuse!
First we would need to get married. Not going to happen in Texas

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #3426 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
For the same reason Pro Logic isn't called "Dolby Digital". Atmos is already a thing. And this other thing, it's a different thing.
They could have called it 'The Thing', just like the movie? ...The original one (1982).
...The year 'Dolby Surround' was born - 1982 exactly.
...Introduced to the public for the first time; 33 years ago.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-08-2014 at 03:05 PM.
post #3427 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You're absolutely correct for people on these forums but not the rest of the world.
We are a "special" bunch.
You think so? ...Did you check AA (AudioAficionado), and AS (AudioShark), and WBF (WhatsBestForum),
and UHEAHTR (U!traHiEndAudioandHomeTheaterReview)?

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #3428 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

What are DVDs are they like 8 tracks??

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos top front Ceiling Speakers
post #3429 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Bass Enabler

I think they are those things I never use that come with my Blu-ray movies.

That and these drink coasters called, "Digital Copies" or something like that. I mean, I've already got a digital copy of the movie. It's a blu-ray!
J_P_A and PoshFrosh like this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #3430 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If I look at most people's AV gear collection I think what they really want is "Expensive and difficult to setup with multiple massive devices"
Are you also one of us Markus?

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #3431 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
3. The processing power and the amplification in that receiver is best suited for HTIB aficionados,

Best is to go above with another brand; Denon, or Marantz, or Pioneer, or Yamaha.
Onkyo/Integra is no more in 2014; they left the most important engine, Audyssey MultEQ XT32.

The times are now calling for other brands. ...The true serious players.
* I'm most probably going with Marantz myself. ...And you don't have to ask me why if you already know my priorities.

** Would love the Emotiva XMC-1 with Dirac Live LE, but it does not have Dolby Atmos.
And even if I wouldn't shed tears over it (like Kal Rubinson), I still want Do!by Atmos in my !ife, abso!ute!y, irrevocab!y and unequivoca!!y, ...not a single teardrop of a doubt about it.
What are you talking about yamaha and pioneer don't have audyssey
So have you used the useless AccuEQ please explain!!!

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos top front Ceiling Speakers
post #3432 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They could have called it 'The Thing', just like the movie? ...The original one (1982).
...The year 'Dolby Surround' was born - 1982 exactly.
...Introduced to the public for the first time; 33 years ago.

The original one (1982)? More like 1951!

post #3433 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

If someone wants the get a TX-NR 636 who are you to tell them to spend an extra $$ on a flagship Avr because you don't like Onkyo.... for a first generation Atmos to me it makes complete sense to me, if this was 2016 with a couple years under atmos's belt then I would agree and go with one of the big boys.

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN

Last edited by bargervais; 08-08-2014 at 03:57 PM.
post #3434 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You were yelling at me:

"The exclamation mark or exclamation point is a punctuation mark usually used after an interjection or exclamation to indicate strong feelings or high volume (shouting), and often marks the end of a sentence."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclamation_mark
I used that exclamation point a lot in the past; and it wasn't meant to express shouting, but many people viewed as if it was. It took me a very long time to finally realize it, and nobody, ever, helped me out.
I'm French Canadian, and my main tongue is French. English is my second language, and not my best forte.

Sometimes I can see (read) the misinterpretation (misjudgment) from simple punctuation and slight misspelling from simple typos or slight language barriers, and it sometimes creates havoc for nothing @ all, but only because of the true meaning was totally interpreted differently, and like an insult.

It happens often, and with many of us; we have to be alert, understandable, compassionate, respectful, friendly, and above all detours all the time.

We even need to perfect our typing. ...Making sure that what we write conveys what we want to say.
Because, we wouldn't even type if it was in a manner of discordance.

Anyway, my own 2 cents.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #3435 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
First we would need to get married. Not going to happen in Texas
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

To quoth Seinfeld.

ambesolman likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 08-08-2014 at 03:51 PM.
post #3436 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

Let's be realistic here, The Onkyo 636 is not a HTiB receiver.

1. Any receiver that is x.1 capable can drive any number of subs from the little 5" you are talking about to multiple 24" sub systems.
2. None of the features you state the Onkyo is missing is present in the Oppo either.
3. At least the Onkyo processor is Atmos ready and can power 7 speakers on its own. How many speakers can the Oppo drive? Exactly 0 so it won't even satisfy the HTiB aficionados like the Onkyo can.

I'll bet that if one person had to sell the Onkyo setup while another had to sell the Oppo setup and the two had a competition to sell the most units, the Onkyo will sell many more units than the Oppo would. Let's not confuse our wants with what the market will accept.
post #3437 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
You think so? ...Did you check AA (AudioAficionado), and AS (AudioShark), and WBF (WhatsBestForum),
and UHEAHTR (U!traHiEndAudioandHomeTheaterReview)?
Seriously, do you think if we put all the forums' members together they would be a fair representation of the real world? We are but a drop in the ocean when it comes to numbers. You can think all you want that we have any sway in the decisions of corporate business, but we don't. We only have weight with the niche companies that target the high end crowd. Even then I would say it's not much.
post #3438 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Seriously, do you think if we put all the forums' members together they would be a fair representation of the real world? We are but a drop in the ocean when it comes to numbers. You can think all you want that we have any sway in the decisions of corporate business, but we don't. We only have weight with the niche companies that target the high end crowd. Even then I would say it's not much.
Agree

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #3439 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
What are you talking about yamaha and pioneer don't have audyssey
So have you used the useless AccuEQ please explain!!!
Gee, I only posted my own personal opinion. ...No need to shout @ me.

I think AccuEQ sucks, and I would rather go with MCACC or YPAO. ...You don't agree with that, that's ok I still love you.

And do you want me to write a book explaining all the whys? ...Perhaps if you ask me politely I will.
...With links and graphs and facts and data and scientific evidence accompanying it to corroborate.

I think you misunderstood the meaning of my post. ...And you did not agree with my opinion on a rather honest term.

* AccuEQ doesn't have the required processing power to do a good job.
- It doest not EQ your two front main channels.
- Onkyo did not want to add more chips like Denon and Marantz; they went with two, and Denon/Marantz with four.
- From the professional reviews I've read about AccuEQ, all them pro reviewers omitted (deliberately) to talk about it (because it is inferior, useless, and they get paid to write positive reviews).
- Owners are best to write reviews.
- Keith knows about that. And I have great respect for a knowledgeable guy like Keith, and many other members (all) here @ AVS.

Would you like some useful links? ...Regarding Dolby Atmos in conjunction with AccuEQ?
...And others less useful.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-08-2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Typo (Would, and not 'Yould')
post #3440 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The original one (1982)? More like 1951!

Then Dolby Surround was first introduced in 1951. ...See, no fuss, I'm real easy.

By the way, I knew that someone would come with that. ...You are right, there are several versions of 'The Thing', @ least three. ...But mine was the John Carpenter one, from 1982, the exact year that 'Dolby Surround' was first introduced to the general public. ...Fact. ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Surround

And, the title of that movie above (1951) is 'The Thing From Another World !', and not 'The Thing'

So, the original movie called just 'The Thing', is that 1982 one.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-08-2014 at 04:24 PM.
post #3441 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Gee, I only posted my own personal opinion. ...No need to shout @ me.

I think AccuEQ sucks, and I would rather go with MCACC or YPAO. ...You don't agree with that, that's ok I still love you.

And do you want me to write a book explaining all the whys? ...Perhaps if you ask me politely I will.
...With links and graphs and facts and data and scientific evidence accompanying it to corroborate.

I think you misunderstood the meaning of my post. ...And you did not agree with my opinion on a rather honest term.

* AccuEQ doesn't have the required processing power to do a good job.
- It doest not EQ your two front main channels.
- Onkyo did not want to add more chips like Denon and Marantz; they went with two, and Denon/Marantz with four.
- From the professional reviews I've read about AccuEQ, all them pro reviewers omitted (deliberately) to talk about it (because it is inferior, useless, and they get paid to write positive reviews).
- Owners are best to write reviews.
- Keith knows about that. And I have great respect for a knowledgeable guy like Keith, and many other members (all) here @ AVS.

Yould you like some useful links? ...Regarding Dolby Atmos in conjunction with AccuEQ?
...And others less useful.
So you say these -- From the professional reviews I've read about AccuEQ, all them pro reviewers omitted (deliberately) to talk about it (because it is inferior, useless, and they get paid to write positive reviews Keith knows about that. And I have great respect for a knowledgeable guy like Keith, and many other members (all) here @ AVS
Yes I would like to see links when they said it's useless.

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #3442 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If someone wants the get a TX-NR 636 who are you to tell them to spend an extra $$ on a flagship Avr because you don't like Onkyo.... for a first generation Atmos to me it makes complete sense to me, if this was 2016 with a couple years under atmos's belt then I would agree and go with one of the big boys.
Oh, but I love Onkyo; I'm their hugest fan of them all. ...Ask anyone.

But this year (2014), I'm no more. I am now jumping ship (with more chips). I have been the biggest Onkyo's fan since the year 2007 (seven years all together). So, bye bye THX Ultra2 Plus certification, ISF video certification, their excellent dual video processors, Audyssey is now gone, and bye bye 55 pounds tank machines with gobs of power, and a big transformer, high-current (4-ohm loads), real solid steel heatsinks, BB DACs, TI DSP chips, ...and welcome to lightweight products (20 pounds lighter, roughly) with cheaper heatsinks made of cheap metal barbwires, ...but with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (MultEQ Pro Ready), Dolby Atmos, more DSP processing chips (four), and all that cool jazz that appeals more to me now.
{And now I won't be recommending Onkyo/Integra receivers and SSPs no more. ...That is my prerogative.}

That was then, this is now.

You can call me a new rejuvenated, reborn, rehabilitated, fully recovering Marantz/Denon addicted fan from now on.

Onkyo/Integra is still a good company, even after all their troubles (customer service, HDMI handshake, DTS bomb, tough to upgrade products, or none @ all, earlier, heat issues because they did not indicate in their manual how to diminish it, burned HDMI boards, tra-la-la...).
The other brands too had their own issues, and still do.

But The Thing is that we are now in the year 2014 and smart decisions have to be made.
I will let people buy whatever they want, but I won't shy away of mentioning all the ins and outs to people.
That's my job. ...Informing wisely.
marky301067 likes this.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-08-2014 at 04:47 PM.
post #3443 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Then Dolby Surround was first introduced in 1951. ...See, no fuss, I'm real easy.

By the way, I knew that someone would come with that. ...You are right, there are several versions of 'The Thing', @ least three. ...But mine was the John Carpenter one, from 1982, the exact year that 'Dolby Surround' was first introduced to the general public. ...Fact. ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Surround

And, the title of that movie above (1951) is 'The Thing From Another World !', and not 'The Thing'

So, the original movie called just 'The Thing', is that 1982 one.
Careful when calling information on Wikipedia as "fact." It's data based on majority rule, just like IMDB. It's a little bone of contention with Stephen Colbert on his show many times (Colbert gets into it with the founder of that particular Wiki site quite often when he's a guest - a couple times he had his followers change entries on certain pages just to show how easy it is to get facts totally wrong).

Sometimes it's correct, sometimes not, and sometimes information on pages are manipulated for ulterior motives. Why do you think reputable researchers cannot use Wikipedia for their sources?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 08-08-2014 at 04:50 PM.
post #3444 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Let's be realistic here, The Onkyo 636 is not a HTiB receiver.

1. Any receiver that is x.1 capable can drive any number of subs from the little 5" you are talking about to multiple 24" sub systems.
2. None of the features you state the Onkyo is missing is present in the Oppo either.
3. At least the Onkyo processor is Atmos ready and can power 7 speakers on its own. How many speakers can the Oppo drive? Exactly 0 so it won't even satisfy the HTiB aficionados like the Onkyo can.

I'll bet that if one person had to sell the Onkyo setup while another had to sell the Oppo setup and the two had a competition to sell the most units, the Onkyo will sell many more units than the Oppo would. Let's not confuse our wants with what the market will accept.
Just forget the Oppo; it is not in my mind @ all. ...Only in Markus's mind, not mine.

TX-NR636 | Review ...Check what he's saying about AccuEQ. ...And Dolby Atmos he cannot as it is not in it just yet.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #3445 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Bass Enabler

Yamaha.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #3446 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Can someone explain to me how audyssey would work with atmos I know we don't have any AVRs with atmos I can see how it would work with other listening modes but I'm not clear on how it would room correct atmos please help me understand

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #3447 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think AVS is the best overall representation of the average audio/video enthusiasts in the world; that's what I think.

The other sites I mentioned are private audio clubs, from hi-end people with very expensive taste.
They don't represent the general public out there, like us here. ...Great people all around, but different taste and life's priorities. ...Various levels of audiophiles. ...And some only two-channel stereo addicts (analog, or digital - tubes or ss), and other into hi-end home theater systems. ...Prices: It varies, from roughly $5,000 to $500,000

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #3448 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Atmos voice of God

... but why is god coming from the front speakers

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3449 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Lol!

I know, right?!

Are you yelling at me?

I wonder if Markus thinks that Howard Hawks is yelling at him? After all, his movie is named The Thing from another world!

No Dolby Surround for The Thing, but it is available in Dolby Digital 1.0 (or perhaps DD 2.0 mono)!

Scott Simonian likes this.
post #3450 of 9792 Old 08-08-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So you say these -- From the professional reviews I've read about AccuEQ, all them pro reviewers omitted (deliberately) to talk about it (because it is inferior, useless, and they get paid to write positive reviews Keith knows about that. And I have great respect for a knowledgeable guy like Keith, and many other members (all) here @ AVS
Yes I would like to see links when they said it's useless.
They did not say it was useless, I said it myself. ...They did not even talk about AccuEQ.

Do you still want some reviews? ...And you can google too. ...There are two Onkyo receivers' reviews with AccuEQ over @ DVDAREA, the German website: Onkyo TX-NR535 and TX-NR737 receivers.

SoundandVision has one, with AccuEQ: Onkyo TX-NR636 which I already posted the direct link.

And you have more from Europe; France and UK. ...Goggle. ...And Canada too.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page