post #3811 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post
But that is not all what Atmos is about. It is also about up to 128 sound objects being precisely rendered in the hemisphere. if that object is large, like a car or a plane, then the upwards will work.
That's what Atmos is all about for you, but not necessarily for others. I've heard imaging so precise, it made a singer appear to have a head the size of a golf ball. Yeah, it was pinpoint, but unrealistic.

Same with the Atmos demo yesterday. Instead of 4 precise spots overhead, the upward firing drivers sounded more like a seamless ring above the listening area. Part of the problem might have been that the 4 Tannoys mounted overhead were pointing straight down. How much better would they have sounded had they been toed in, even cross toed to the person furthest away (energy trading)? We'll never know.
Quote:
So, the question is what will give the best overall sound quality? Upward firing 30 watt capable add-on speakers in a space with untreated ceilings? Or ceiling mounted 300 watt coaxials with a fully acoustic treated ceiling?
You left out the part where the upward firing speaker had its driver sliced up and was connected with 24 gauge lamp cord.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Technically, so does Lionel Richie

kbarnes701 likes this.

post #3813 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post
I got the chance to attend the Dolby Labs Home Atmos demo yesterday.
Looks like FilmMixer and sdurani have pretty much touched on most of what we saw and heard, and the only thing I can really add is my personal opinion.

I went in with the idea that the ceiling mounted speakers were going to be the better sounding option..but after listening to the demos and switching back and forth...I preferred the Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers over the ceiling mounted. I felt that the Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers sounded like a larger over head space and just more enveloping to me.

I was able to take some pictures of the demo room we were in ... I will be posting those later today.

Sorry to have such a brief writeup..but FilmMixer and sdurani have pretty much covered the better part of the technical aspects.

Just my $.02
RayJr
This, is the most interesting post so far. ...I will be monitoring very closely all the developments, because me too I want the very best surround envelopment. And in my room with cathedral ceilings this is great news as it is much more simpler. ...Installation and all.
And even if I would have the perfect reflective ceiling @ 9 feet, I would still go with floor up-firing Dolby Atmos speakers @ this point.

I love the simplicity of it all for home. ...Simply add four small Dolby Atmos satellite (coaxial) speakers atop your two front mains and two rear surrounds (in a 7.1-ch setup), and aim them properly (a la Andrew Jones), connect them to your new unit, et voila. ...No holes, no complication, no ladder, no wires concealment to take care of, just like normal surround business with wires on the floor alongside the walls, or under the floor. ...The ceiling remains as it is, the wife is happy, and the surround effect is greater. ...A win-it-all situation.

I love this idea so much much much more, and I am so happy of what people have found so far, like you just said it above. Thank you, you made my day. ...Now, waiting for DTS-UHD ,,,

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-12-2014 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Typo
post #3814 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post
Since all agreed that the reflecting sound from the Atmos enabled speakers produced a more enveloping 3d sound field than direct firing ceiling speakers, wouldn't bipole/dipole ceiling speakers be the trick for creating this similar type enveloping 3d sound field? Even if you use min 90 degree dispersion monos, a diffused omni-directional bi or di pole should do the trick better, right?
Or a variation on a Mirage Omnipolar with a coldspot on axis.

Noah
post #3815 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post
I do not..as all the equipment was "white labeled" no names...
but I do have a picture of them with and with out the grills..will be posting later today.

RayJr
♦ Yes Ray, please do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
By the way, who asked for them curved TVs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
Because now with Atmos we'll have curved sound too!
♦ Ha!

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #3816 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'd like to take a moment to thank the "heavy lifters and thinkers" here for pushing the envelope wrt to "understanding" D: All of the above

I went ahead with the overhead trestle project , it penciled out to only about $100 because I already had most of the stuff (dude, you got WAY TOO MUCH STUFF)!), the time and patience and wanted to follow thru on the discussion I had had with Sanjay.

The attached picture is the "on ceiling" thing. there is no speaker attached, obviously,
My measurements from the center of that bracket to which the SLX attaches to the center of the speaker to the right or behind is about 88 inches, and subtracting for the 4" depth of the speaker puts all four in about a 7 foot square wrt to MLP. (42" ahead, behind, left and right)
The angle "up' is about 35 degrees or less.
The distance from the TF's to the plane of the LCR is also about 80 inches, so using the 35-50 degree option for repositioning of the FH's, there's room for the other 2 SLX sitting around, could also be hung horizontally. think 9.x.4
WRT to the vertical/horizontal argument, I think that for my one-man gets his own MLP theory (?), the notion mentioned earlier about "walking in a circle" to hear the sound change is an interesting possibility. But what if I could just sit there and get that effect and a few others . . . yeah baby, lock and load . . . in the money seat . .
I'll run the wires and will make them all equal length, about 40 ft max if I go up thru the wall and across the attic, it needs some more pencil work . . .So...
Any suggestions about how to deploy/experiment with/enjoy this set up while we wait? I have an extra amp that will let me do another 6 channels of amplification

p.s. Everything is Rustoleum 2X satin "Granite" and mostly matches the speaker color and is near invisible in extreme low light/darkness.

And a box holing the "right" co-axial is not out of the question

standing by

and one more time
TY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0726.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	209241  

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 14.3, configurable from 10.3 and up
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CenterLow, Icon 25 CenterHigh, RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR, RB51's:FH
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #3817 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

While most of you will be drilling holes in your ceiling, and playing with harnessing the wiring,
me I'll be putting some blu tack atop four of my speakers (lucky me they are flat on top - all four are 44" high - perfect height, I think - because I won't be hearing sound coming directly from them - my ears are @ 33" height). ...And my ceiling is all made of perfect reflective wood surface to expand that Dolby Spatial sauce.
...Starting @ 8.25 feet @ the walls and up to 11.0 feet @ center. ...I feel I have the ideal room to retire in higher "elevation".

Man I love this hobby! ...Do you too?

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-12-2014 at 01:30 PM.
post #3818 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
How do you EQ speakers that are designed to bounce the audio off of the ceiling over a wide area?
I guess we don't.

And the AVR (SSP) would know how far they are from the ceiling, and the main listening position.
From that the receiver would know what just to do with its Auto Room Correction & EQ system as implemented by its manufacturer and working in tandem with the Dolby Atmos chip decoder.

My best guess is that they won't be massaged/EQued as they are already designed with a 180Hz crossover and Dolby Atmos spatial effects going through them.

But my guess could be proven wrong; if some expert is in the know. ...Because they could be EQued as well to give that ideal target curve with that upper tilt in the bass and gently descending towards the treble region for that desired smooth sound that all of us aspire to.

Who's going to be good @ it best? ...Audyssey? ...AccuEQ? ...MCACC? ...YPAO?
...Datasat? ...Trinnov Altitude? ...Dirac Live (Amarra - Audirvana)? ...Room Perfect? ...XTZ? ...ARC? ...Acourate? ...Audiolense? ...jriver? ...And there are many more...(but the first four above are the main ones which we are concerned with so far @ this point in time.)

And each year they will implement further improvements to their bass management system and all.
EQ is a perpetual work in progress; science is improvement, not rules.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-12-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Hertz
post #3819 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
Any suggestions about how to deploy/experiment with/enjoy this set up while we wait? I have an extra amp that will let me do another 6 channels of amplification.
If you have PLIIz processing on your receiver, you could try sending the extracted height signal to all 4 of your height speakers.
PoshFrosh likes this.

Sanjay
post #3820 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
^^^^^

"If you have PLIIz processing on your receiver, you could try sending the extracted height signal to all 4 of your height speakers. "

I have a few splitters and I believe the X4000 will oblige

TY

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 14.3, configurable from 10.3 and up
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CenterLow, Icon 25 CenterHigh, RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR, RB51's:FH
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #3821 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How do you EQ speakers that are designed to bounce the audio off of the ceiling over a wide area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I won't be using speakers that bounce the audio off the ceiling, so it is of no concern to me how they would be EQd.

Surely my earlier posts made it clear what kind of speakers I will be using, even down the the model name and number and a provided link to the manufacturer's web site?
Quote:
Instead of the self centered "you", how about the more general "you", meaning those who will use speakers that bounce the audio off of the ceiling?
♦ Touche.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #3822 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post
Interesting feedback from the Burbank Dolby demo regarding their preference of Atmos enabled front/rear speakers over the ceiling installed height speakers. This surprised me since everything I've ready from Dolby has stated that the sweet spot for home Atmos is having 4 ceiling speakers installed.

Since all agreed that the reflecting sound from the Atmos enabled speakers produced a more enveloping 3d sound field than direct firing ceiling speakers, wouldn't bipole/dipole ceiling speakers be the trick for creating this similar type enveloping 3d sound field? Even if you use min 90 degree dispersion monos, a diffused omni-directional bi or di pole should do the trick better, right?
That's a fair question, and I'm sure the Dolby people experimented with all the various alternatives they could have think of. ...Controlled reflections are perhaps not the same as diffusion. ...Dolby knows best.
Them spatial objects need some controlled directivity (every 15° for 24 horizontal speakers and 10 vertical/elevated/overhead ones), and dipolar and bipolar and omnipolar speakers probably do not fit the requirement. ...The acoustical properties as a coaxial speaker does.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #3823 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Another question is if I have heights already can I angle them towards the ceiling?
Do I understand that you want to explore using traditional heights as reflecting speakers? I don't see how that is going to work.

OTOH, we do know that at least some CE manufacturers will allow you to use heights alone or combined with another pair of height/top/Atmos up-firing speakers (c.f. pp. 208/209 of the oft-cited (European) Denon AVR-X5200W Owner's Manual).
post #3824 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
And height modules don't have to be physically placed on top of your current speakers, as long as they hit the correct location on the ceiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Is that information provided by Dolby?
An interesting/important point for people who have front main speakers that are round on top.
...And with rear surround (back) speakers that are mounted high on the back wall.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #3825 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post
If there really is "Atmos Secret Speaker Sauce" in the speakers--rather than say just clever acoustic throw+focus technology to accommodate the distance from transducer to MLP, and "via ceiling" bounce--then the question becomes: Will there be a problem using these same add-on Atmos speakers with a DTS-UHD decoder in your next AVR? or similarly with an Auro-3D decoder?
_
They'll be similar overall, but with their own personal advancement touches.
...In particular Auro-3D. ...Which works on three layer levels, all around.

* And DTS-UHD covers a much broader base of Blu-rays encoded with DTS-HD Master Audio.
So a dts Upmixer would be much more useful for many many of us with a fair library of Blu-ray movies.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #3826 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That I can understand. As NorthSky explained it, beaming upwards effectively quadruples (2 x as wide and 2 x as deep) the surface covered by the speakers vs ceiling mounted.
Yes Erwin; my "theory" post => http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26493353
It would be interesting to find more as we go along making further discoveries and from a wider stroke of knowledge.
And so far listeners seem to prefer up-firing speakers instead of those overhead ones.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-12-2014 at 03:53 PM.
post #3827 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 241
What kind of speakers are you using that have a pinpoint dispersion for the heights?

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #3828 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Suffice it to say there is a big gulf between what Dolby Atmos / Dolby Surround are capable of doing and what manufacturers have implemented (at least first generation implementations).
One example of this gulf: consumer Atmos can render to as few as 2 speakers, meaning height speakers need not be configured for Atmos decoding and rendering.

One of the first things we discussed at the Atmos presser yesterday is the semantics of channel beds and objects. Dolby considers them all objects (channels are objects that don't move). They said objects pre-date Atmos, but those pieces of sound were limited to 5 or 7 pre-determined locations/outputs. Atmos allowed those same sounds to move in 3D space, but also kept the limitations on some of them in order to have the channel beds.

I asked what happens when there are more speakers than channel beds. For example, someone sets up a Trinnov with 24 speakers around them. How many speakers get bed information? Is it only 7? Which means that the other 17 would be used just for objects? "We'll get back to you on that."

Also, there had been an article on TWICE during CE Week 2014 that talked about Blu-ray packaging and claimed Atmos soundtracks would be labeled 7.1.4 or 5.1.4. Apparently, that was incorrect information. That terminology is for speaker configurations. No such designations for Atmos soundtracks on BD. In fact, they said labeling it with any sort of channel designation (even the beds) doesn't make sense. The packaging might still say 5.1 or 7.1, but that's only for the backwards compatible downmix (not even an indicator of the beds in the soundtrack).

Sanjay
post #3829 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

From the Dolby Atmos FAQ:

"You can place these add-on modules on top of your current speakers or on another nearby surface.

"If you’re using add-on modules, place them either on top of your front and surround (ideally, rear surround) speakers or within 3 feet (0.9 meter) of those speakers."

Good to know; open more doors to more people.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #3830 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 64
this is a noob question but those of you that have 5.1 and 7.1 how high are your rear surrounds?
Now THX states about 2 feet above ear level. Right now i have mine at ear level, is this bad?
All this Atmos talk is making me reconsider my system!
post #3831 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 04:20 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Aren't they already on the ceiling?
Nope there close to the height of my projector screen ( that was shown on manual ) facing towards listening postion on wall. I've read other posts I'm going to wait until we know where to actual install these speakers. I can do ceiling speakers I think I'll wait until I know for certainty where to place them.

Cheers
post #3832 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Blu-ray packaging might still say 5.1 or 7.1, but that's only for the backwards compatible downmix (not even an indicator of the beds in the soundtrack).
I sure hope that all (not sure how many because of so few Dolby TrueHD soundtracks) Blu-rays with Dolby Atmos encoding will be of the 7.1 variety.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-12-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: ( )
post #3833 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Your insight is much sought after, Scott.
Thank you.

Whew! Just got back a little while ago from my drive back up from LA. First I'd like to extend a thanks to Scott Wilkinson for the invitation to this event. It was quite an opportunity to attend such an event with many members of the press.

As I am playing 'catch up' here now that Marc, Sanjay and Ray have commented about the events, I'll keep this somewhat short. These guys are way smarter and more articulate that I so I'll not repeat all the important technical stuff and just relay my experience of the day and my thoughts.

After a nice brunch with the guys (sdurani, FilmMixer, Rayjr) we headed out to the Dolby HQ in Burbank. We got there a little bit early so we had some time to mingle a bit in the reception area on the third floor. Hmph, that fruit looked good. Should have grabbed some pineapple and strawberries. Where was I? Oh. So after some time the place filled up with the remaining guests and Dolby employees. There were many members of home theater press there. Soon enough we were ushered into Dolby's private cinema there at the Burbank office. It was a modestly sized venue (wait for Ray's pics) with enough to seat about 30-40 people plus a mixing console in the middle. It was loaded with speakers nearly touching each other. IIRC it was somewhere around 34 speakers in total.

We were introduced to lead Atmos designer Brett Crockett and Stewart Bowling head of the cinema division for Atmos. They gave a short presentation that explained Atmos from where it began to what it is now and where they want to take it in the near future. Most of these things most of you should know by now but it was interesting to see that they fully intend to implement Atmos into nearly every kind of A/V media from our full fledged HT rooms right on down to portable media such as tablets and phones. Although that subject was touched on very little on the day it will be cool to hear more about that in a years time, I'm sure.

After the brief presentation they went straight into some demo material. First up was the array of Atmos 'trailers' available in equipped cinemas. In order of appearance was the 'Amaze' then 'Unfold' and then 'Leaf' Atmos trailers.

Also included was an Atmos trailer from Red Bull with Sebastian Vettel driving and some cool sound effects and quick edits. Not sure what it was called so I can't find the video if it's available. These all sound very cool in a gimicky way, sure but it's fun stuff. If you have seen a movie in Dolby Atmos at your local cinema you have probably seen one of these.

Honorable mention is the 'Introducing Dolby Atmos' EPK that I saw for my first time while attending a show of Guardians with Sanjay. This video is very short but it stars Stuart Bowling who was in attendance at this private demo.

Next up on the list of demos was the opening to 'Star Trek: Into Darkness'. This was played back at reference level in full Atmos sound. I won't comment on the hardware or levels but I must say I did not think that this was a great choice for a "demo". The mix for Into Darkness is quite loud and bombastic which sounds like it would be great but it is way too busy and you really don't get a huge sense of what Atmos is capable of. That being said it was immediately clear that it was presented in Atmos as things moved around the room with single speaker precision. Something you can't get when you are locked into single channels and a cinema surround 'array' of speakers. Along with my face, objects were ripping across the the room and ceiling. Again, I had wished that other material was used but I think in such short notice (and possible apprehensive "support" from the studios) this was sufficient.

As soon as these clips were finished we were sent in groups into shuttles to another Dolby location in Burbank where they had their home theater system to show us for demo. At this point I we were split up and groups of 6 or so were sent into the HT room for demo. I was allowed into a small conference room with the remaining attendees for some very interesting Q&A with Stuart, Brett and Craig Eggers who is the head of the consumer technical division for Dolby. This was a very interesting point in the day as we all got to freely ask questions and they could answer them as best as they could. Some very modest questions and some very technical questions. I think Sanjay and I caught them by surprise with some of ours.

I was in the last group to get the home theater demo. The room was not large but not small. Something of 25ft long, maybe 16-18ft wide and about 8ft tall. There were six seats right in the middle with a large table with computers and other various tech in the back. Erm, I didn't take a good long look at that stuff admittedly. (actually I did get some video of the room. I'll see about an upload but it's not that great of a video. ) The room was equiped with a 50" lcd tv of sorts with a full 7.1.4 system both with "Atmos-equipped" and actual overhead surrounds. Also there was a soundbar that was covered. TBA, I'm sure. So I sat down in the front row left seat. I had to let Gary Reber take the center seat. He's got a magazine to run, you know! I'm just some dude on the internetz.

So at this demo was the Atmos trailers from before but now in an HT environment. Played back in Atmos they sounded very convincing. Also played back was the same scene from Into Darkness but we had a chance to hear it in conventional 7.1 and again in Atmos. All the floor level speakers were quite low. Right at ear level. The difference was very noticable and in my opinion clearly improved in Atmos. The next and very interesting demo was a couple of sound only demos put together for demo purposes, obviously. The first was simply an object of a helicopter that would circle around the room. We had this played back in 7.1 then in Atmos with actual ceiling speakers and then again in Atmos but with the upfiring reflective method. All versions sounded different. The 7.1 had an excellent sense of being surrounded by an encircling helicopter but not like it was above me. Then when played back with the ceiling mounted speakers I could clearly hear that it was above me and encircling. Cool! Now... heh, the really neat part. Last was it played back with the upfiring speakers and boy was I impressed! I was not ready for it to sound that good. (to be clear I have not been fluffed with any incentive. This is purely me speaking from the heart) It really did sound like there were speakers up above and the image was very stable. I had expected it to be much more diffuse and not very localizable but I could always tell if it was in front, behind and to the left or right. Very, very impressive.

Last up was another demo of similar playback but this time it was a recording of a thunderstorm. During this demo they had toggled between real and reflective heights and seriously could not tell the difference. Wow.

Just noticed how much time it took to type this so I'm going to wrap this up. Gotta close up shop.

I can't enough how eye (ear?) opening this experience was. It was really special.

I will come back to chime in if you guys are interested. I'm sure there is more left to mention about the day.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #3834 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
this is a noob question but those of you that have 5.1 and 7.1 how high are your rear surrounds?
Now THX states about 2 feet above ear level. Right now i have mine at ear level, is this bad?
All this Atmos talk is making me reconsider my system!
Not @ all. The main rule is "envelopment". If you are enveloped @ ear level, or a foot, or even two above your ear level then it's all good.

Mine are roughly a foot above ear level, but they are closer to me too. Ideally all our speakers should be @ the same distance of the main listening position. ...How many people here have such an ideal setup?

What THX said, or ITU, or Dolby, or dts, or Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. about the positioning and height of your speakers all vary more or less.

If you want to you can raise them a foot or two; and if it is too much work, just put your two little satellite Dolby Atmos speakers on top of them, or near by on their own stands and be done with it.

♦ Another great option is to toe them upward slightly, if they'll permit that in your setup.
helvetica bold likes this.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #3835 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
What kind of speakers are you using that have a pinpoint dispersion for the heights?
Your question is addressed to the general public I presume?

And you mean the Front Height speakers (DPLIIz, Audyssey DSX, dts Neo:X) I also presume?

* Small two-way monitors. ...With great on-axis and off-axis frequency response.
...Coax monitors would do the trick as well, if not better. ...KEF LS50, some' like that. ...On lucky sale for $400, each.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #3836 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In ceiling vs atmos up firing speakers

Thanks for the demo reviews!

I am surprised to hear that many of you guys preferred the atmos speakers to the in ceiling speakers.

I know is difficult, but can you guys who have demoed, quantify degree of preference? 2 to 1? 3 to 1? Or just minimal?

Thanks
post #3837 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Your question is addressed to the general public I presume?

And you mean the Front Height speakers (DPLIIz, Audyssey DSX, dts Neo:X) I also presume?

* Small two-way monitors. ...With great on-axis and off-axis frequency response.
...Coax monitors would do the trick as well, if not better. ...KEF LS50, some' like that. ...On lucky sale for $400, each.
Yes, but what i am talking about is for Dolby Atmos height channels. I read that the channels need to be pinpoint dispersion, and I am wondering where people are getting these? Who makes a pinpoint dispersion speaker?

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #3838 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
They'll be similar overall, but with their own personal advancement touches.
...In particular Auro-3D. ...Which works on three layer levels, all around.

* And DTS-UHD covers a much broader base of Blu-rays encoded with DTS-HD Master Audio.
So a dts Upmixer would be much more useful for many many of us with a fair library of Blu-ray movies.
Why would the performance of the upmixer depend on the format of the source material? In other words, I don't understand your implication that the new Dolby Surround upmixer would work any differently with DTS-encoded source material than it would with Dolby-encoded source material. In fact, given two identical mixes, but one encoded using Dolby TrueHD and the other encoded using DTS-HD MA, I'd expect the Dolby Surround upmixer to produce identical-sounding results.
post #3839 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Why would the performance of the upmixer depend on the format of the source material? In other words, I don't understand your implication that the new Dolby Surround upmixer would work any differently with DTS-encoded source material than it would with Dolby-encoded source material. In fact, given two identical mixes, but one encoded using Dolby TrueHD and the other encoded using DTS-HD MA, I'd expect the Dolby Surround upmixer to produce identical-sounding results.
An example of where they are different:
There are 3 or 4 home movie releases which have 11.1 channel soundtracks encoded using DTS NeoX. They make use of the "Front Wide" speakers. The new Dolby Surround upmixer does not send any sound to the "Front Wide" speakers.

Selden
post #3840 of 8722 Old 08-12-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I was in the last group to get the home theater demo. The room was not large but not small. Something of 25ft long, maybe 16-18ft wide and about 8ft tall. There were six seats right in the middle with a large table with computers and other various tech in the back. Erm, I didn't take a good long look at that stuff admittedly. (actually I did get some video of the room. I'll see about an upload but it's not that great of a video. ) The room was equiped with a 50" lcd tv of sorts with a full 7.1.4 system both with "Atmos-equipped" and actual overhead surrounds. Also there was a soundbar that was covered. TBA, I'm sure. So I sat down in the front row left seat. I had to let Gary Reber take the center seat. He's got a magazine to run, you know! I'm just some dude on the internetz.
Lol

Quote:
So at this demo was the Atmos trailers from before but now in an HT environment. Played back in Atmos they sounded very convincing. Also played back was the same scene from Into Darkness but we had a chance to hear it in conventional 7.1 and again in Atmos. All the floor level speakers were quite low. Right at ear level. The difference was very noticable and in my opinion clearly improved in Atmos. The next and very interesting demo was a couple of sound only demos put together for demo purposes, obviously. The first was simply an object of a helicopter that would circle around the room. We had this played back in 7.1 then in Atmos with actual ceiling speakers and then again in Atmos but with the upfiring reflective method. All versions sounded different. The 7.1 had an excellent sense of being surrounded by an encircling helicopter but not like it was above me. Then when played back with the ceiling mounted speakers I could clearly hear that it was above me and encircling. Cool!

Now... heh, the really neat part. Last was it played back with the upfiring speakers and boy was I impressed! I was not ready for it to sound that good. (to be clear I have not been fluffed with any incentive. This is purely me speaking from the heart) It really did sound like there were speakers up above and the image was very stable. I had expected it to be much more diffuse and not very localizable but I could always tell if it was in front, behind and to the left or right. Very, very impressive.
Scott, I've read all your comments (entire post) with great attention; you are a great writer with an excellent sense of humor. You bring as much as anyone else to the table in conveying the essence. ...The mark of a good audio/video writer/reviewer.

I only quoted the sections where I'm most (atmos) interested.
And that last paragraph that I highlighted, is awesome!

* Bonus Dolby Atmos trailer ::

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page