The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 129 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7922Likes
post #3841 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Your question is addressed to the general public I presume?

And you mean the Front Height speakers (DPLIIz, Audyssey DSX, dts Neo:X) I also presume?

* Small two-way monitors. ...With great on-axis and off-axis frequency response.
...Coax monitors would do the trick as well, if not better. ...KEF LS50, some' like that. ...On lucky sale for $400, each.
Yes, but what i am talking about is for Dolby Atmos height channels. I read that the channels need to be pinpoint dispersion, and I am wondering where people are getting these? Who makes a pinpoint dispersion speaker?

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (3) MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs,  PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Yamaha P2500s, & (3) Topping 25wpch T chip amps.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
They'll be similar overall, but with their own personal advancement touches.
...In particular Auro-3D. ...Which works on three layer levels, all around.

* And DTS-UHD covers a much broader base of Blu-rays encoded with DTS-HD Master Audio.
So a dts Upmixer would be much more useful for many many of us with a fair library of Blu-ray movies.
Why would the performance of the upmixer depend on the format of the source material? In other words, I don't understand your implication that the new Dolby Surround upmixer would work any differently with DTS-encoded source material than it would with Dolby-encoded source material. In fact, given two identical mixes, but one encoded using Dolby TrueHD and the other encoded using DTS-HD MA, I'd expect the Dolby Surround upmixer to produce identical-sounding results.
post #3843 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Why would the performance of the upmixer depend on the format of the source material? In other words, I don't understand your implication that the new Dolby Surround upmixer would work any differently with DTS-encoded source material than it would with Dolby-encoded source material. In fact, given two identical mixes, but one encoded using Dolby TrueHD and the other encoded using DTS-HD MA, I'd expect the Dolby Surround upmixer to produce identical-sounding results.
An example of where they are different:
There are 3 or 4 home movie releases which have 11.1 channel soundtracks encoded using DTS NeoX. They make use of the "Front Wide" speakers. The new Dolby Surround upmixer does not send any sound to the "Front Wide" speakers.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #3844 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 4459 Post(s)
Liked: 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I was in the last group to get the home theater demo. The room was not large but not small. Something of 25ft long, maybe 16-18ft wide and about 8ft tall. There were six seats right in the middle with a large table with computers and other various tech in the back. Erm, I didn't take a good long look at that stuff admittedly. (actually I did get some video of the room. I'll see about an upload but it's not that great of a video. ) The room was equiped with a 50" lcd tv of sorts with a full 7.1.4 system both with "Atmos-equipped" and actual overhead surrounds. Also there was a soundbar that was covered. TBA, I'm sure. So I sat down in the front row left seat. I had to let Gary Reber take the center seat. He's got a magazine to run, you know! I'm just some dude on the internetz.
Lol

Quote:
So at this demo was the Atmos trailers from before but now in an HT environment. Played back in Atmos they sounded very convincing. Also played back was the same scene from Into Darkness but we had a chance to hear it in conventional 7.1 and again in Atmos. All the floor level speakers were quite low. Right at ear level. The difference was very noticable and in my opinion clearly improved in Atmos. The next and very interesting demo was a couple of sound only demos put together for demo purposes, obviously. The first was simply an object of a helicopter that would circle around the room. We had this played back in 7.1 then in Atmos with actual ceiling speakers and then again in Atmos but with the upfiring reflective method. All versions sounded different. The 7.1 had an excellent sense of being surrounded by an encircling helicopter but not like it was above me. Then when played back with the ceiling mounted speakers I could clearly hear that it was above me and encircling. Cool!

Now... heh, the really neat part. Last was it played back with the upfiring speakers and boy was I impressed! I was not ready for it to sound that good. (to be clear I have not been fluffed with any incentive. This is purely me speaking from the heart) It really did sound like there were speakers up above and the image was very stable. I had expected it to be much more diffuse and not very localizable but I could always tell if it was in front, behind and to the left or right. Very, very impressive.
Scott, I've read all your comments (entire post) with great attention; you are a great writer with an excellent sense of humor. You bring as much as anyone else to the table in conveying the essence. ...The mark of a good audio/video writer/reviewer.

I only quoted the sections where I'm most (atmos) interested.
And that last paragraph that I highlighted, is awesome!

* Bonus Dolby Atmos trailer ::

post #3845 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Yes, but what i am talking about is for Dolby Atmos height channels. I read that the channels need to be pinpoint dispersion, and I am wondering where people are getting these? Who makes a pinpoint dispersion speaker?
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we have a small (less than 2,000 cu ft) HT where the main area in front of us has a high cathedral ceiling where we have PLIIz Height Speakers in a 9.1 configuration using direct firing monitors (RB-5s) and contemplated that the only place we can put ceiling speakers would be about 8 ft over heads on a flat ledge (behind our mlp is a small cubby with our rear speakers).

I may forgo this first round of Atmos products but was wondering if replacing our current Front Heights with these http://www.klipsch.com/rs-7-surround-speaker/details (which we also already have) would work better in an Atmos setup? They have Klipsch Wide Dispersion Technology using two horn tweeters and a single LF driver.

That said, I find it surprising that neither here nor on the Klipsch Forum there's much talk about them coming out with any Atmos speakers, especially given their prominence in the Commercial and the Home Theater market.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #3846 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Scott and all that shared your insightful experiences at the Dolby Atmos demo day looking forward to the experience in my home.

My main setup Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle/ Samsung PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
10' X 15' DEN Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Acoustic Audio 151B Indoor/Outdoor Speakers top middle on Ceiling Speakers/ Samsung PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray /
post #3847 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I agree with you because right now I am applying Dolby PLIIx Cinema on top of Blu-ray movies with a DTS-HD MA 5.1-channel soundtrack. ...Instead of DTS Neo:6

We don't know much right now about Dolby Surround Upmixer; it should work as you described.

But for the real deal, Dolby Atmos audio encoding, on them Blu-rays, only the ones with a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack would do. ...So the Dolby Surround Upmixer has better to work good or we might be waiting for the next thing real soon; DTS-UHD.

Next month we should find out the real facts, with real demos. Because right now, Dolby did not demo their Dolby Surround Upmixer with DTS-HD MA soundtracks. And that, was the question I suggested to Marc (FilmMixer) in asking the Dolby people @ his demo exhibition yesterday.

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-12-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: In, not '@'
post #3848 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Here are the pictures of the Demo room.
I tried to get the widest shots possible...hope this works for everyone.
the name for the picture is the location view of the room..ie. front..fronttop.

Enjoy
RayJr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	616.5 KB
ID:	209705   Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	707.8 KB
ID:	209713   Click image for larger version

Name:	backtop.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	577.7 KB
ID:	209721   Click image for larger version

Name:	fronttop.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	525.4 KB
ID:	209729   Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker1.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	618.4 KB
ID:	209737  

Name:	speaker2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	909.7 KB
ID:	209745   Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker3.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	821.1 KB
ID:	209753  
post #3849 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp5475 View Post
Thanks for the demo reviews!

I am surprised to hear that many of you guys preferred the atmos speakers to the in ceiling speakers.

I know is difficult, but can you guys who have demoed, quantify degree of preference? 2 to 1? 3 to 1? Or just minimal?

Thanks
Me too, but I'm happy of their findings. I think it would also work better for the vast majority of surround sound aficionados, me included.

I think Sanjey (or Marc) asked its group of people and four of them said they prefer the up-firing speakers over the ceiling ones. ...So it is significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
You mean in or on-ceiling (overhead) Dolby Atmos speakers, so now I see.
...And my previous answer still stands. ...Suggestions were given in this thread about some Tannoy speakers, and others of the coaxial variety. ...Just google coaxial speakers.
But wait before you buy and position them; more is to come still.

And there are speakers from Onkyo, and Pioneer... Andrew Jones; speaker's designer for Pioneer is still working in his lab.

* It seems to me that many members here are already jumping in wide open without even knowing all the ins & outs so far. Is this an euphoria thing where patience doesn't apply? ...
ellisr63 likes this.
post #3850 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Here are the pictures of the Dolby private cinema..once again..tried to get the widest shots possible.

RayJr
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dolby1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	849.8 KB
ID:	209769   Click image for larger version

Name:	dolby2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	860.2 KB
ID:	209777   Click image for larger version

Name:	dolby3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	859.9 KB
ID:	209785   Click image for larger version

Name:	dolby4.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	918.5 KB
ID:	209793  
post #3851 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
An example of where they are different:
There are 3 or 4 home movie releases which have 11.1 channel soundtracks encoded using DTS NeoX. They make use of the "Front Wide" speakers. The new Dolby Surround upmixer does not send any sound to the "Front Wide" speakers.
You're not understanding my point. I'm not arguing that Dolby Surround and DTS Neo:X perform differently. What I am saying is that the upmixer doesn't care what codec was used the encode the source material. In other words, there's no need to wait around for a DTS-UHD upmixer to enjoy up-mixed DTS soundtracks. If you like the effects that the new Dolby Surround upmixer delivers, then feed it a DTS source. The upmixer won't care and will work fine.
ellisr63 and tjenkins95 like this.
post #3852 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post
Here are the pictures of the Demo room.
I tried to get the widest shots possible...hope this works for everyone.
the name for the picture is the location view of the room..ie. front..fronttop.

Enjoy
RayJr
Awesome Ray! ...And I see that Tom Norton was in your group. ...I like Tom.
post #3853 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Klipsch speakers, Onkyo receivers, they match each other them two brands.
post #3854 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Klipsch speakers, Onkyo receivers, they match each other them two brands.

I'm not sure what that comment is supposed to imply, but I'm sure it's a dig of some sort.

That's okay though...Klipsch is good enough for a plurality of commercial cinemas, so my RF-7II system works great for me.

Last edited by Schwa; 08-12-2014 at 07:30 PM.
post #3855 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I got approval from Scott Simonian to post the picture of him PIMPIN at the Dolby Labs Headquarters.

You asked for it Scott

RayJr
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scott.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	692.3 KB
ID:	209801  
ellisr63 likes this.
post #3856 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked: 1547
Who is that short, nerdy dude?

And how do I dis-like a post?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #3857 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

I thought it was James Hunt.

avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

How to Create a Dolby Atmos Demo Disc (post #15199)

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #3858 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked: 1547
I'm getting there.

Not that gorgeous, obviously.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #3859 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm not sure what that comment is supposed to imply, but I'm sure it's a dig of some sort.

That's okay though...Klipsch is good enough for a plurality of commercial cinemas, so my RF-7II system works great for me.
Klipsch speakers are matched with Onkyo receivers when I go to my local Onkyo dealers.
...Not in your local area?

I don't know why some people have to see something else than what I said here.....It's ok, no big deal.

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-13-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Grammar
post #3860 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I got approval from Scott Simonian to post the picture of him PIMPIN at the Dolby Labs Headquarters.

You asked for it Scott

RayJr
Ha, I thought he was much younger.
post #3861 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

I don't know why to have to see something else than what I said here. It's ok, I get that sometimes...
Eh?

avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

How to Create a Dolby Atmos Demo Disc (post #15199)

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #3862 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I thought it was James Hunt.
Did you, really?
post #3863 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Eh?
He thought that it was a secret code of some sort. ...Some people's imagination works in mysterious ways.

Nothing there, please move on.

* I'm a huge fan of Klipsch and Onkyo. ...And it's no wonder that many music lovers love to have them together.
post #3864 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:

Get a haircut you dirty hippie!
post #3865 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Get a haircut you dirty hippie!
It's funny that you just said that; I was thinking the exact same thing but without saying it.

* By the way, my hair are down to my but. ...Honestly, butt they are mostly white.
And I'm younger than Scott too.

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-12-2014 at 08:18 PM.
post #3866 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Yes you have to do a firmware update to get Atmos. I was told you call in, give them the AVR model number and serial number and you will get secure, one time, access to download the FW update to enable Atmos via email link. I think i was told the 15th(August) or shortly after the FW update would be on there website.
The 15th is this Friday I will have to call them to see

My main setup Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle/ Samsung PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
10' X 15' DEN Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Acoustic Audio 151B Indoor/Outdoor Speakers top middle on Ceiling Speakers/ Samsung PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray /
post #3867 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't believe it's almost September hope fully firmware will be released by then

post #3868 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Here are the pictures of the Dolby private cinema..once again..tried to get the widest shots possible.

Interesting how high the surround speakers are mounted, they're almost at ceiling height (especially those towards the back of the room).
post #3869 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
I can't believe it's almost September hope fully firmware will be released by then
Time sure is flying fast.
post #3870 of 24312 Old 08-12-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
He thought that it was a secret code of some sort. ...Some people's imagination works in mysterious ways.

Nothing there, please move on.

* I'm a huge fan of Klipsch and Onkyo. ...And it's no wonder that many music lovers love to have them together.
Fair enough; I assumed (we know what happens when you do that) that based on your earlier statements regarding AccuEQ that you held Onkyo, and by extension Klipsch, in low esteem.

I used to be a big Onkyo fan as well until two of their flagship receivers (the 905 and the 5008) both took a giant dump on me. I've since moved on to Denon and couldn't he happier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page