The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 130 - AVS Forum
First ... 128  129  130 131  132  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version)
ellisr63's Avatar ellisr63 10:01 PM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post
I got approval from Scott Simonian to post the picture of him PIMPIN at the Dolby Labs Headquarters.

You asked for it Scott

RayJr
Lucky you... I wish I could get an invite to Dolby Labs. I used to attend training for their Trademark when I was working in Trademark Enforcement, but I have never been to anything like that.

NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky 10:24 PM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Fair enough; I assumed (we know what happens when you do that) that based on your earlier statements regarding AccuEQ that you held Onkyo, and by extension Klipsch, in low esteem.

I used to be a big Onkyo fan as well until two of their flagship receivers (the 905 and the 5008) both took a giant dump on me. I've since moved on to Denon and couldn't he happier.
You should read my latest posts. ...One that I just posted five minutes ago in the "AccuEQ vs Audyssey" thread.

And you're right; on the Internet don't ever assume. ...We are all humans, and with emotions that run the full gamut of time and space. And living day-by-day is good philosophy for the soul.

I love it all myself, and nothing is perfect.
NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky 10:31 PM 08-12-2014
By the way, it is very true that Onkyo receivers are demo with Klipsch speakers.
And Denon receivers were demo with Mission speakers for years.
And Classe amps are demo with B&W speakers.
Technics was associated with Panasonic.
Etc., etc., etc.

So I wasn't making any type of insinuation here; be it positive or negative; simply stating the facts.
Onkyo has probably a close relationship with Klipsch, and I think that it is a great union indeed. Klipsch has some amazing speaker's technology behind, and for a very long time too, and the man himself is a great man with high praise and honor.

Yes, before judging me, please take the time to learn more about me, get to know me better.
Thank you for your cooperation.
noah katz's Avatar noah katz 10:36 PM 08-12-2014
These sound great on my computer speakers, of course w/o Atmos.

Then I had a sinking feeling - what if, similar to previous latest/greatest formats, the average SQ is of the media is several cuts less than what is possible, with the potential only realized on demo's like these and the relatively small amount of really well mastered material.

Now that I think about it, why would it be any different for Atmos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
After the brief presentation they went straight into some demo material. First up was the array of Atmos 'trailers' available in equipped cinemas. In order of appearance was the 'Amaze' then 'Unfold' and then 'Leaf' Atmos trailers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXBn3x2PZYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1QM6QrKtIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJA2U-YMvkk

NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky 10:42 PM 08-12-2014
Noah, Dolby said that it is imperative that the movie sound mixers do a top-notch job. It is the biggest part of all that Dolby Atmos thing.
The future depends on their expert hands @ following the Dolby Atmos highest sound standards.
noah katz's Avatar noah katz 10:55 PM 08-12-2014
We can only hope.
Dan Hitchman's Avatar Dan Hitchman 11:02 PM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
These sound great on my computer speakers, of course w/o Atmos.

Then I had a sinking feeling - what if, similar to previous latest/greatest formats, the average SQ is of the media is several cuts less than what is possible, with the potential only realized on demo's like these and the relatively small amount of really well mastered material.

Now that I think about it, why would it be any different for Atmos?
As with any sound mix, it's up to the prowess of the engineers and whether or not they take full advantage of the audio tools available.

Some Atmos mixes will astound, others will probably be "meh." I'm hoping more of the former than the latter. Perhaps even some further tweaking can be done to cinema mixes while being prepped for home theater usage to improve upon the experience. As everyone is acutely aware, sound mixing is sometimes a last minute event and everyone involved, no matter how talented, cannot always perfect commercial mixes within their allotted time.

On another note, I would love for some high end CEDIA product demos to show off more than just the typical first generation 7.1.4 layout. Hopefully, Trinnov and others will be partnering with speaker companies to show what home Atmos is really capable of doing. And that retail Blu-ray discs will be used for said demos.

Anyone in the know on what other companies' booths to target at CEDIA that might really put on an impressive show?
NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky 11:11 PM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
We can only hope.
Like any other movie soundtrack; some (mostly few) will be a total blast, and the others,...a bust.
And each one of us will have a different, more or less, interpretation/experience from each and every one.
NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky 11:24 PM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
As with any sound mix, it's up to the prowess of the engineers and whether or not they take full advantage of the audio tools available.

Some Atmos mixes will astound, others will probably be "meh." I'm hoping more of the former than the latter. Perhaps even some further tweaking can be done to cinema mixes while being prepped for home theater usage to improve upon the experience. As everyone is acutely aware, sound mixing is sometimes a last minute event and everyone involved, no matter how talented, cannot always perfect commercial mixes within their allotted time.

On another note, I would love for some high end CEDIA product demos to show off more than just the typical first generation 7.1.4 layout. Hopefully, Trinnov and others will be partnering with speaker companies to show what home Atmos is really capable of doing. And that retail Blu-ray discs will be used for said demos.

Anyone in the know on what other companies' booths to target at CEDIA that might really put on an impressive show?
You said it very well Dan; tres realiste.

_______

You Tube
You Tube
You Tube
<><><><><><><><><>
You Tube

erwinfrombelgium's Avatar erwinfrombelgium 11:32 PM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I was in the last group to get the home theater demo. The room was not large but not small. Something of 25ft long, maybe 16-18ft wide and about 8ft tall. There were six seats right in the middle with a large table with computers and other various tech in the back. Erm, I didn't take a good long look at that stuff admittedly. (actually I did get some video of the room. I'll see about an upload but it's not that great of a video. ) The room was equiped with a 50" lcd tv of sorts with a full 7.1.4 system both with "Atmos-equipped" and actual overhead surrounds. Also there was a soundbar that was covered. TBA, I'm sure. So I sat down in the front row left seat. I had to let Gary Reber take the center seat. He's got a magazine to run, you know! I'm just some dude on the internetz.

So at this demo was the Atmos trailers from before but now in an HT environment. Played back in Atmos they sounded very convincing. Also played back was the same scene from Into Darkness but we had a chance to hear it in conventional 7.1 and again in Atmos. All the floor level speakers were quite low. Right at ear level. The difference was very noticable and in my opinion clearly improved in Atmos. The next and very interesting demo was a couple of sound only demos put together for demo purposes, obviously. The first was simply an object of a helicopter that would circle around the room. We had this played back in 7.1 then in Atmos with actual ceiling speakers and then again in Atmos but with the upfiring reflective method. All versions sounded different. The 7.1 had an excellent sense of being surrounded by an encircling helicopter but not like it was above me. Then when played back with the ceiling mounted speakers I could clearly hear that it was above me and encircling. Cool! Now... heh, the really neat part. Last was it played back with the upfiring speakers and boy was I impressed! I was not ready for it to sound that good. (to be clear I have not been fluffed with any incentive. This is purely me speaking from the heart) It really did sound like there were speakers up above and the image was very stable. I had expected it to be much more diffuse and not very localizable but I could always tell if it was in front, behind and to the left or right. Very, very impressive.

Last up was another demo of similar playback but this time it was a recording of a thunderstorm. During this demo they had toggled between real and reflective heights and seriously could not tell the difference. Wow.

Just noticed how much time it took to type this so I'm going to wrap this up. Gotta close up shop.

I can't enough how eye (ear?) opening this experience was. It was really special.

I will come back to chime in if you guys are interested. I'm sure there is more left to mention about the day.

Thanks a bunch for an excellent write!

Q: Can you describe if and how the HT was acoustically treated? Which materials were used for ceiling, walls and floor?
Q: What kind of speakers were there used, specifically the ceiling mounts?
kokishin's Avatar kokishin 12:03 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post

I don't know why you to have to see something else than what I said here. It's ok, I get that sometimes...
You edited your original post from: I don't know why to have to see something else than what I said here. It's ok, I get that sometimes....

Getting closer.

Try this: I don't know why you have to see something else other than what I said here. It's ok, I get that sometimes...

Eh?
markus767's Avatar markus767 12:57 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
I asked what happens when there are more speakers than channel beds. For example, someone sets up a Trinnov with 24 speakers around them. How many speakers get bed information? Is it only 7? Which means that the other 17 would be used just for objects? "We'll get back to you on that."
Guess you hit the mark, only 7 (or 9 if you count in the 2 height speaker channels) will be used for beds.
sdurani's Avatar sdurani 01:45 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Guess you hit the mark, only 7 (or 9 if you count in the 2 height speaker channels) will be used for beds.
He didn't/couldn't answer my question, so I don't know how beds address multiple speakers.

Suppose I had 3 rows of seats and each row had a speaker at its left side. Where does the left surround bed go? Only one of those 3 speakers or all 3?

Suppose I install all 10 possible overhead speakers: 5 left heights and 5 right heights. Will sounds in the left height bed light up all 5 left height speakers?

Those were the type of questions I was hoping would have gotten answered yesterday, but didn't.
markus767's Avatar markus767 01:51 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
He didn't/couldn't answer my question, so I don't know how beds address multiple speakers.

Suppose I had 3 rows of seats and each row had a speaker at its left side. Where does the left surround bed go? Only one of those 3 speakers or all 3?

Suppose I install all 10 possible overhead speakers: 5 left heights and 5 right heights. Will sounds in the left height bed light up all 5 left height speakers?

Those were the type of questions I was hoping would have gotten answered yesterday, but didn't.
How is it handled in the dubbing stage?
markus767's Avatar markus767 02:07 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Here are the pictures of the Demo room.
I tried to get the widest shots possible...hope this works for everyone.
the name for the picture is the location view of the room..ie. front..fronttop.

Enjoy
RayJr
Thanks for the speaker pictures! Looks like they used some acoustic foam around the fullrange unit to mitigate detrimental effects due to the recessed mounting. The Pioneer speakers don't have to deal with that issue. On the other hand the Dolby speakers look identical to normal speakers once the grill is on. Probably exactly what they wanted to achieve.
Roger Dressler's Avatar Roger Dressler 02:11 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Cinemas define which speakers comprise the arrays. Signals destined for the arrays use all of them at the same time (same as current arrays). In Sanjay's example of 10 height speakers, each row of 5 would play a ceiling bed channel, and the objects would pan through individually. Same for the 3-speaker "mini arrays" on each side.
sdurani's Avatar sdurani 02:14 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
All the bed channels outside the screen (sides, rears, heights) are reproduced by arrays. IF that's what they're doing at home, then my questions should have been easy to answer instead of "I'll get back to you".
markus767's Avatar markus767 02:22 AM 08-13-2014
^
Let's hope they don't adopt that practice for the home. We'd get comb filter effects. The more speakers the more detrimental this would be.
Roger Dressler's Avatar Roger Dressler 02:34 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Here are the pictures of the Demo room.

Hmmm. Makes me wonder when a coaxial ceiling speaker, pointed straight down, is also toed in (which makes no difference at all). Now, if the speakers were tilted toward the MLP, that would make sense. Would the reported Atmos speaker advantage remain were that the case? Why handicap the ceiling speakers?
Roger Dressler's Avatar Roger Dressler 02:38 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
We'd get comb filter effects. The more speakers the more detrimental this would be.
Just like a real cinema. But there are ways to minimize the combing with decorrelation.
markus767's Avatar markus767 02:39 AM 08-13-2014
^
Yes, just like a real cinema
ss9001's Avatar ss9001 04:21 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Here are the pictures of the Demo room...RayJr
Thanks, Ray!

I also don't understand the positioning/toe in on the ceilings since they are pointed straight down. Did Dolby say if these coaxial drivers or 2 ways?
Hugo S's Avatar Hugo S 05:04 AM 08-13-2014
Hi,

I take this opportunity to thank here Marc, Sanjay, Scott and Ray for they very interesting feed back concerning the Atmos experience one can get and singularly through the up-firing Atmos speakers.

In fact all this mirrors my own impressions after attending to a "simple" 5.1.2 Onkyo Dolby Atmos presentation held mid July in Paris (details and feed-back here (in French)), in an non specifically treated adverse acoustic environment, with add-on up-firing Onkyo SKH410 speakers... and even though I was more than skeptic in the beginning... I ended up being impressed by the end result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Hmmm. Makes me wonder when a coaxial ceiling speaker, pointed straight down, is also toed in (which makes no difference at all). Now, if the speakers were tilted toward the MLP, that would make sense. Would the reported Atmos speaker advantage remain were that the case? Why handicap the ceiling speakers?
Now what would be the result with those same Onkyo SKH410 add-on Atmos speakers (the ones of the above Paris presentation) if they were to be used not in an up-firing context/situation, but in an (adequately angled) on ceiling context/situation, eventually an array of these. For example a 7.1.4 installation where the .4 would consisting of 4 or eventually 8 of these small cheap speakers located on the ceiling.

In my opinion this would be an interesting experience to make, as these speakers are specifically tailored for Atmos, why couldn't they be used as ceiling speakers?

Roger what would be your opinion? Merci.

Hugo
Mech0z's Avatar Mech0z 05:40 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
that explains the expense because here the 636 is $599 and the speakers are $240 so if your getting both that looks to be a good deal.
Yes would just love to get some impressions on if they are worth anything together with the 636 before I buy it, if its useless then I would rather wait for it to be on sale and then not get the speakers which I think have ****** WAF
Nightlord's Avatar Nightlord 06:13 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
^
Let's hope they don't adopt that practice for the home. We'd get comb filter effects. The more speakers the more detrimental this would be.
Depends on whether the speaker is made to be used that way or not, normal speakers yes. Those made to create a wavefront together, no/not to the same degree.

I'm using three per side in both my theaters and I have not regretted it for a second.
markus767's Avatar markus767 06:44 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Depends on whether the speaker is made to be used that way or not, normal speakers yes. Those made to create a wavefront together, no/not to the same degree.

I'm using three per side in both my theaters and I have not regretted it for a second.
Speaker (drivers) have to be placed within 1/4 distance of the wavelength they are emitting in order to prevent destructive interference. Here are some max. distances for different frequencies:

100Hz = 84cm = 33"
1000Hz = 8.6cm = 3.3"
10000Hz = 0.86cm = 0.33"
Nightlord's Avatar Nightlord 07:01 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Speaker (drivers) have to be placed within 1/4 distance of the wavelength they are emitting in order to prevent destructive interference. Here are some max. distances for different frequencies:

100Hz = 84cm = 33"
1000Hz = 8.6cm = 3.3"
10000Hz = 0.86cm = 0.33"
That's no news. But I'm not discussing somehing that has anything close to normal radiation patterns towards listener. The designer of them would prefer is surround was just handled by four channels and using four wavefronts, so that all seats would have the same experience. (left, right, back, top) He's doing initial pondering now whether you can re-code Atmos into such channels for his customers to get something even better.

Heck, when I showed my surrounds here the first time, people thought I had them mounted too low and upside down!
pletwals 07:02 AM 08-13-2014
http://www.audioprointernational.com...07331#after-ad
http://www.dreamsound.pl/index.php

Not sure if the above has been posted before. It's about Dreamsound of Poland installing Atmos to produce film sound.

The article states it's 280 square foot size, but their own website states it is 86 square meters, which is almost 1,000 square foot. Seems a lot closer to what's in the picture.

I was interested in the speakers they used. It's all JBL-pro:

Front: ScreenArray 3731-T three-way tri-amplified loudspeakers and 4642 dual-18-inch subwoofers
Rest: JBL SCS 12 and SCS 8 coaxial loudspeakers are mounted on the ceiling, side and rear walls, augmented by two JBL 4181 18-inch subwoofers.

I looked up those JBL SCS8. They seem excellent for ceiling mounting as Atmos speakers and have an unsurpassed 120° x 120° dispersion. Maybe the pro-look (about 1 cubic foot sized) is not for everyone, but I like it. MSRP is $475. Thoughts?

Product link JBL:
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/c...scs-8#Overview
markus767's Avatar markus767 07:05 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
That's no news. But I'm not discussing somehing that has anything close to normal radiation patterns towards listener. The designer of them would prefer is surround was just handled by four channels and using four wavefronts, so that all seats would have the same experience. (left, right, back, top) He's doing initial pondering now whether you can re-code Atmos into such channels for his customers to get something even better.

Heck, when I showed my surrounds here the first time, people thought I had them mounted too low and upside down!
What kind of speaker would that be?
ss9001's Avatar ss9001 08:10 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pletwals View Post
I looked up those JBL SCS8. They seem excellent for ceiling mounting as Atmos speakers and have an unsurpassed 120° x 120° dispersion. Maybe the pro-look (about 1 cubic foot sized) is not for everyone, but I like it. MSRP is $475. Thoughts?
I had looked these up myself weeks ago...someone here posted about them (Roger?). Very industrial metal boxes but while the design looks very appropriate, I think practically, they'd be too large for 8' ish ceilings. You'd lose almost 15" height with the bracket, probably placing speaker height too close to tall tower or planar speakers for optimum separation. I think they'd work very well for a tall ceiling if WAF wasn't an issue.

With the Tannoy Di5 DC, you'd lose only half that distance or less. I think that may make them more suitable for tall fronts or short ceilings.

But the common feature with the Tannoy Di is coaxial driver. The fact that coaxial drivers are used as overheads in professional cinema Atmos lends lots of credence for use in home Atmos.

Roger, Keith & Sanjay are in good company with the pros and Andrew Jones, in suggesting the coaxial Tannoy
First ... 128  129  130 131  132  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop