The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 1308 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17823Likes

post #39211 of 46731 Old 03-29-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Chicago remastered in Dolby Atmos, but currently only available as an import from Japan.
I'll have to find that, why not, ordered I'm my Hong Kong version of "Lucy" and I already owned the regular copy of it, I don't have "Chicago" at all.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39212 of 46731 Old 03-29-2016, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
Greeting:

Have a Atmos receiver and some Atmos Blu Ray movies, just wondering what the forum thinks what are the top 3 Atmos movies that are currently out as of now.
I have some but have not gotten around to watching them all. San Andreas, it was fun hearing all the stuff fall around you during the earthquakes, (oops, spoiler alert LOL)
post #39213 of 46731 Old 03-29-2016, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 644
^

what he said

and @Defcon : And ceiling speakers won't be an option for the vast majority, even in the extreme enthusiast AVS crowd.

this may qualify as "extreme" Scatmos .6 set up in about a 7 ft square with 36 ft^2 of 5 1/2" broadband clouds. . .
immersive

total cost about $1K, not counting older AVR's just sitting around

would never trade even the .4 for FW or FH, even tho the AVR can do the FW's i have hooked up, (because they were there)

the on ceiling overheads rule . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scatmos complete.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1347402  

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS/DSU Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...orn-build.html

post #39214 of 46731 Old 03-29-2016, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Man that's bad news. Seems like the investment in Denon X5200 is now ok at best. Since companies are moving away from Atmos on Blu-Ray and keeping it on the UHD format, that really makes the investment almost irrelevant. So even if I do end up getting a UHD player, 1) My projector doesn't do 4k, so not sure if that is an issue for comatiblilty 2) I have to run a second HDMI cable from the projector to the blu-ray player. sigh.

And here I was about to ask which upcoming blu-rays support Atmos and how many titles we can anticipate this year, and next.

[Home Theater] LINK
[Music Room] Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 Floorstanders | Receiver: Peachtree Audio Nova220SE
post #39215 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete View Post
Man that's bad news. Seems like the investment in Denon X5200 is now ok at best. Since companies are moving away from Atmos on Blu-Ray and keeping it on the UHD format, that really makes the investment almost irrelevant. So even if I do end up getting a UHD player, 1) My projector doesn't do 4k, so not sure if that is an issue for comatiblilty 2) I have to run a second HDMI cable from the projector to the blu-ray player. sigh.

And here I was about to ask which upcoming blu-rays support Atmos and how many titles we can anticipate this year, and next.
I am in a similar position as you. I have a Sony VPL-VW50 which is 1080p. I have a 7.1.4 setup and I do not regret it in the least. DSU is so effective that it makes even non-Atmos movies better, for me, significantly so.

I even tried UHD with the Samsung K8500. I returned it for several reasons. It gave a very detailed image, but a higher contrast level that I could not get corrected and a distinct red push. It was due in part to the player, and in part due to the UHD disk itself.

So, I am willing to live happily with the limitations of what I have. It is worlds better than the 5.1 that I started with. I went thru 5.1.2; then 5.1.4; then 7.1.2; and quickly to 7.1.4.

I am still an Atmos fan!

And, my TF and TR speakers are on ceiling, not in ceiling...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...-profiles.html

Atmos Dolby 7.2.4; Epson 6040UB; Oppo UDP203; TiVo Roamio; Roku Ultra

post #39216 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
That's not the reason. Dolby Atmos and DTS: X are being looked at as another premium feature hook, an enticement to get people to upgrade.
I agree with you here, however - by packaging Atmos with UHD (and some only doing it with UHD), puts that upgrade pressure on consumers. You'd need a new receiver, a UHD BD player and a 4K TV or projector, that are all HDCP 2.2 compatible.

HDCP 2.2 also helps keep the "rippers" at bay. Industry is now designed to keep a person dependent on the supplier. Apple locks a person in, Microsoft seems to want to get rid of the independent builder, etc....

If you can keep a consumer locked in - you guarantee a continued money stream.
post #39217 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Anyone know if Netflix sends out downgraded Blu-rays?

Rented Mockingjay part 2 Blu-ray from Netlix and it was only in straight Dolby 5.1 and not Dolby Atmos? My understanding was that the blu-ray only came in Dolby 7.1 as well as Dolby Atmos and didn't know there was a crap version. Anyone know if Netflix gets different copies than the standard consumer Blu ray release?

Last edited by Dbruce13; 03-30-2016 at 06:29 AM.
post #39218 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I agree with you here, however - by packaging Atmos with UHD (and some only doing it with UHD), puts that upgrade pressure on consumers. You'd need a new receiver, a UHD BD player and a 4K TV or projector, that are all HDCP 2.2 compatible.

HDCP 2.2 also helps keep the "rippers" at bay. Industry is now designed to keep a person dependent on the supplier. Apple locks a person in, Microsoft seems to want to get rid of the independent builder, etc....

If you can keep a consumer locked in - you guarantee a continued money stream.
Connecting UHD to Atmos isn't going to help Atmos with gaining a mass audience. I would be curious to know how many people who are on this site (even in this thread) are completely setup to the point where they can watch a UHD right now? I'm close, but as of this moment I can't raise my hand. Limiting Atmos to only UHD is going to take a technology that I think was going to have a hard time as is getting mass adoption and further narrow the group that can actually benefit from it.
stef2 and pasender91 like this.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #39219 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbruce13 View Post
Rented Mockingjay part 2 Blu-ray from Netlix and it was only in straight Dolby 5.1 and not Dolby Atmos? My understanding was that the blu-ray only came in Dolby 7.1 as well as Dolby Atmos and didn't know there was a crap version. Anyone know if Netflix gets different copies than the standard consumer Blu ray release?
Lionsgate doesn't send lossless versions of movies to Redbox. Recently I've noticed that Universal no longer is even sending Blu-Rays to Redbox.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #39220 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3561 Post(s)
Liked: 1904
Quote:
Lionsgate dumbs their rental copies down.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #39221 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Rented Mockingjay part 2 Blu-ray from Netlix and it was only in straight Dolby 5.1 and not Dolby Atmos? My understanding was that the blu-ray only came with Dolby Atmos and didn't no there was a crap version. Anyone know if Netflix gets different copies than the standard consumer Blu ray release?
It is not a Netflix or Redbox issue, it a decision by Lionsgate to purposely only provide "watered down" copies of their movies to rental outlets... which includes taking away the lossless audio tracks... really a crap move on their part, but probably effective for us home theater buffs that will want the best soundtrack unfortunately...
post #39222 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
It is not a Netflix or Redbox issue, it a decision by Lionsgate to purposely only provide "watered down" copies of their movies to rental outlets... which includes taking away the lossless audio tracks... really a crap move on their part, but probably effective for us home theater buffs that will want the best soundtrack unfortunately...
That is ridiculous...but gives me a little comfort knowing something wasn't wrong with my new system. The whole switching your output from PCM to bitstream for Dolby Atmos kinda drives me nuts especially when going back and forth between DTS-X titles and Atmos titles. Would be nice if the AVR's could just process any audio input format.
post #39223 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
Connecting UHD to Atmos isn't going to help Atmos with gaining a mass audience. I would be curious to know how many people who are on this site (even in this thread) are completely setup to the point where they can watch a UHD right now? I'm close, but as of this moment I can't raise my hand. Limiting Atmos to only UHD is going to take a technology that I think was going to have a hard time as is getting mass adoption and further narrow the group that can actually benefit from it.
Once again...I agree...here's part 2 of the conspiracy theory that I have:

As UHD and Atmos are linked (with all the constraints tied to it) - it would make it a niche product. However that's just the bait......

Here's the switch....Do you know that Atmos can be carried on a Dolby Digital Plus signal as well? Who does that bode well for....Studios and streaming. Getting back to making the consumer dependent on the suppliers content.

I may be wrong - but I believe Atmos going to be used as a tool to dumb down audio bitrate, but offer the immersive/object base sound as a trade off. Many people will go for that trade (I for one - I don't like it).

Mass adoption will come from streaming (and I'm a BD fan)! That's what the studios want, pay per play. That's what they wanted with Divx, and several other things. This may be the tool used to get mass adoption of streaming!! Just a conspiracy theory that's all
post #39224 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Yep, all Netflix BDs from Lionsgate are dumbed down. I remember renting the Expendables and wondered why I couldn't get 7.1 DTS-HD Master audio. Discovered that they have dumbed down all of their BD's to only do lossy audio.
post #39225 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Quote:
Once again...I agree...here's part 2 of the conspiracy theory that I have:

As UHD and Atmos are linked (with all the constraints tied to it) - it would make it a niche product. However that's just the bait......

Here's the switch....Do you know that Atmos can be carried on a Dolby Digital Plus signal as well? Who does that bode well for....Studios and streaming. Getting back to making the consumer dependent on the suppliers content.

I may be wrong - but I believe Atmos going to be used as a tool to dumb down audio bitrate, but offer the immersive/object base sound as a trade off. Many people will go for that trade (I for one - I don't like it).

Mass adoption will come from streaming (and I'm a BD fan)! That's what the studios want, pay per play. That's what they wanted with Divx, and several other things. This may be the tool used to get mass adoption of streaming!! Just a conspiracy theory that's all
This only works if Atmos sounds significantly better and if people have the extra speakers to take advantage of it.
post #39226 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:

I don't think there needs to be any conspiracy to drive mass adoption of streaming - that's already happened, driven by consumer desires. Just take a look at where the physical media retail/rental business is compared to a few short years ago.

Given that more and more people are watching content via streaming, I think the fact that Atmos can be delivered on Dolby Digital Plus is Dolby's ace in the hole over their competitors.
post #39227 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
This only works if Atmos sounds significantly better and if people have the extra speakers to take advantage of it.
Correct again.
post #39228 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
I don't think there needs to be any conspiracy to drive mass adoption of streaming - that's already happened, driven by consumer desires. Just take a look at where the physical media retail/rental business is compared to a few short years ago.

Given that more and more people are watching content via streaming, I think the fact that Atmos can be delivered on Dolby Digital Plus is Dolby's ace in the hole over their competitors.
True, but many enthusiast have avoided streaming like the plague for the very same reason. Dolby Digital + is a step down from where we are currently at. What I see as part of the scheme is for UHD W/Atmos to be a niche format and possibly the final physical format - streaming w/DD+ and imbedded Atmos (because the objects take up little space) to become the new default format.

This will do several things

1. Enthusiast will buy the required gear....all of it.

2. Masses will be greatful and buy the bare minimum (but they will sell a lot of it).

3. Streaming will become so strong that studios will claim that they see no profit in making physical media anymore.

4. This will force enthusiast back to the Theater if they don't want to watch a streamed and audio dumbed down version.

5. It becomes a win/win for the studios - they will control all content. Stream it, or go to the theater to see and hear the real deal.

Remember these are all just theories - it is striking up good conversation though (I could be totally wrong).
post #39229 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i have the marantz sr7010 , already i have it set up as 7.1.2, i need to add another set of dolby atmos speakers, i see that in here some advice to get the audio source amp100 pa, (that a 50 watts per channel) to use it to add that extra pair of dolby. how many watts i need for the dolby atmos? the marantz push 125 watts at 2 channel driven, so i don't know how much it push for the dolby atmos. when i call marantz they told me to get the pa with most watts the better. but i don't want to have one set with more power than the other set. what should i buy? i have seen russound with a 90 watts per channel pa, and now i see an onkyo with a 75 watts per channel (on amazon) which one you think will work better with the marantz 7010? i have seen also the audiosource pa that here they recommend a lot. (i am on a budget so i need one that not be so expensive due is only for dolby atmos speakers) the dolby atmos speakers are 100 watts at 8 ohms.

Last edited by dannycruz23; 03-30-2016 at 09:26 AM.
post #39230 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycruz23 View Post
i have the marantz sr7010 , already i have it set up as 7.1.2, i need to add another set of dolby atmos speakers, i see that in here some advice to get the audio source amp100 pa, (that a 50 watts per channel) to use it to add that extra pair of dolby. how many watts i need for the dolby atmos? the marantz push 125 watts at 2 channel driven, so i don't know how much it push for the dolby atmos. when i call marantz they told me to get the pa with most watts the better. but i don't want to have one set with more power than the other set. what should i buy? i have seen russound with a 90 watts per chanel pa, and now i see an onkyo with a 75 watts per channel (on amazon) which one you think will work better with the marantz 7010? i have seen also the audiosource pa that here they recommend a lot. (i am on a budget so i need one that not beso expensive due is only for dolby atmos speakers)
I don't suppose you have an older Marantz AVR sitting around with multi-channel inputs?
Doesnt need to be Atmos or even HDMI, just needs analogue inputs

I had an older spare Yamaha AVR that has about the same output level as my new RX-A3050
So I'm using my RX-V3900 to power my 4 Height Speakers, leaving the 3050 to just power the 7 ear level speakers. (7.4.4)

(both AVR's rated ~150/140wpc)

Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge
JVC-DLA X750R | 120" Drop Down Screen | LG 65" OLED 65B6P| Panasonic DMP-UB900 | Oppo UPD-203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3050 + RX-V3900 | Atmos 7.4.4 | Mission M3i Speakers x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS-5000R x2
post #39231 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 3726 Post(s)
Liked: 3602
Quote:
i have the marantz sr7010 , already i have it set up as 7.1.2, i need to add another set of dolby atmos speakers, i see that in here some advice to get the audio source amp100 pa, (that a 50 watts per channel) to use it to add that extra pair of dolby. how many watts i need for the dolby atmos? the marantz push 125 watts at 2 channel driven, so i don't know how much it push for the dolby atmos. when i call marantz they told me to get the pa with most watts the better. but i don't want to have one set with more power than the other set. what should i buy? i have seen russound with a 90 watts per channel pa, and now i see an onkyo with a 75 watts per channel (on amazon) which one you think will work better with the marantz 7010? i have seen also the audiosource pa that here they recommend a lot. (i am on a budget so i need one that not be so expensive due is only for dolby atmos speakers) the dolby atmos speakers are 100 watts at 8 ohms.
It's less about "matching" the internal amps then making sure you have enough power for the application.

If you aren't going to listen at reference levels, and you have a typical 8-ohm, 89dB sensitivity type of in/on ceiling speaker for the rear Atmos channel, 50 watts is probably plenty. It's impossible to make a blanket statement about what is "enough" without knowing the specifics. Also remember that although your Marantz is spec'd at 125 w/ch, when running 9 channels simultaneously at full blast it's not going to put out more than 70-80 w/ch at best due to the shared power supply. So a 50-75 w/ch external amp might not be that far off, especially since not as much power is needed for the overhead channels which are mostly effects.

If you are concerned, then spending the extra to get something slightly beefier (e.g. the Onkyo M-5010) might give you some extra piece of mind.

The ultra budget option is to get an inexpensive used receiver with multich analog inputs, and repurpose it as an external amp. You can often find fairly beefy older receiver rated at 100+ w/ch for $100-150 pretty easily, and then you could even run all 4 overheads off the 2nd receiver meaning the Marantz only is running 7 speakers (leaving more power for them).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #39232 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamez View Post
What about going from 5.14 and adding front wides instead of rear surrounds
I've only had the front-wides for about a week now, but so far am really happy with them, and do think they add considerably to the immersiveness in my room (which is very wide) - although a much more subtle change than going from 5.1 to 5.1.4 certainly. It's a bummer that the DSU doesn't use them, but when watching native Atmos and DTS:X content (including the various demos/test tracks as well as scenes from Unbroken, Gravity, Crimson Peak, John Wick, TLWH, Minions, etc.) or using Neural:X I've really liked the improved sound stage they provide. Plus, I hate that I can't fit rear surrounds in my theater like so many of the contributors here, so this at least helps compensate

Bottom line, if you have the budget and can't for whatever reason implement rear-surrounds, I'd definitely recommend going with a 7w.1.4 configuration!

Samsung UN75HU8500 TS01 w/SEK-3500U, K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Xbox One; Xfinity X1
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 7w.1.4; Denon X6200W; Audiosource AMP102; GoldenEar SuperSat 60/60C, SuperSat 50, SuperSat 3/3C, Invisa 525; SVS PB-2000
Harmony Ultimate One; Insteon; Acoustimac
post #39233 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 166
50 watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
It's less about "matching" the internal amps then making sure you have enough power for the application.

If you aren't going to listen at reference levels, and you have a typical 8-ohm, 89dB sensitivity type of in/on ceiling speaker for the rear Atmos channel, 50 watts is probably plenty. It's impossible to make a blanket statement about what is "enough" without knowing the specifics. Also remember that although your Marantz is spec'd at 125 w/ch, when running 9 channels simultaneously at full blast it's not going to put out more than 70-80 w/ch at best due to the shared power supply. So a 50-75 w/ch external amp might not be that far off, especially since not as much power is needed for the overhead channels which are mostly effects.

If you are concerned, then spending the extra to get something slightly beefier (e.g. the Onkyo M-5010) might give you some extra piece of mind.

The ultra budget option is to get an inexpensive used receiver with multich analog inputs, and repurpose it as an external amp. You can often find fairly beefy older receiver rated at 100+ w/ch for $100-150 pretty easily, and then you could even run all 4 overheads off the 2nd receiver meaning the Marantz only is running 7 speakers (leaving more power for them).
My rear presence speakers are capable of 125 watts, but my external amp is 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and it is more than capable to drive the speakers,, I have the amp set at 70% volume, auto turn on, and with YPAO it all worked perfectly..
post #39234 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
DTS won the Bluray war rather convincingly, I wonder how and when DD+ became the preferred streaming audio format and whether its even audibly better? When I watch Netflix on my tv's app (which doesn't support DD+) vs Chromecast, I can't tell a difference and I have a pretty good audio setup.
post #39235 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Though I guess Netflix and Redbox have the option to rent the more expensive retail version of the discs (which include Atmos or lossless audio). I assume that's what 3d-blurayrental.com does.
post #39236 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Can you guys tell what sounds are channel-based vs. object-based on your home Atmos setup? If so, what gives each away?
post #39237 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

^^This^^

Remember, amps don't push power, speakers draw power.
As long as there is enough power available so the speaker can perform in the manner you've requested (how loud you want it to be) then it doesn't matter what the variation in the different amps power ratings, it only comes into play is when there's not enough available power for that given application.
Under normal circumstances, Overheads and Rears shouldn't require that much.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
post #39238 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

ok so a 60 watts will do the work for a set of dolby atmos speakers that are rated 100 watts. i already have one set on the sr7010 and the other set i will put on a 60 watts power amplifier. ( i had seen one of 75 watts, and another of 90 watts) but due your advise i will go with the 60 watts because it will be enough. (marantz advise me to get the one with more watts, i don't know why) then in the future for example if i decide to get like the outlaw 5000 which is 120 watts per channel (all channel driven) i could put 4 of my 4 surround speakers or my 4 dolby atmos speakers on the outlaw and keep the rest on the sr7010. i know other will say to put the center and the 2 fronts on the outlaw and the rest on the sr7010, but i have read that marantz is a warmer pa, and the outlaw is more a cooler pa.
post #39239 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ok so a 60 watts will do the work for a set of dolby atmos speakers that are rated 100 watts. i already have one set on the sr7010 and the other set i will put on a 60 watts power amplifier. ( i had seen one of 75 watts, and another of 90 watts) but due your advise i will go with the 60 watts because it will be enough. (marantz advise me to get the one with more watts, i don't know why) then in the future for example if i decide to get like the outlaw 5000 which is 120 watts per channel (all channel driven) i could put 4 of my 4 surround speakers or my 4 dolby atmos speakers on the outlaw and keep the rest on the sr7010. i know other will say to put the center and the 2 fronts on the outlaw and the rest on the sr7010, but i have read that marantz is a warmer pa, and the outlaw is more a cooler pa.
Yup, or you can just experiment and see if you notice a difference or not, you'll have plenty of combinations to try since the amp assignments in the 7010 are user configurable.

My Build Thread:
post #39240 of 46731 Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
I would still recommend adding them as your audyessy will minimize the proximity issue to your listening position to some degree. Others may have a different opinion but with Atmos / DTS-X and Aurora 3D the name of the game is "enveloping" sound primarily driven from the height aspect. You may end up kicking yourself later if you only add 2. Just me though
Ok, I've attached am updated pic of my setup. The listener positioning is accurate (18" from the back wall), and the front heights are already installed (4.25' in front of and 5' up from the LP.) I just want to make sure getting those back 2 height speakers (only a few inches behind the listeners ears) is worth adding.

Second question, is there an Atmos processing difference between setting the heights as TF/TR versus TM/RH?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT-Atmos-5.1.4 (1).png
Views:	131
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1349594  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page