post #3961 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
You are probably confused because you aren't paying attention.

I never said anything about a "downstairs neighbor". That was Roger who did and my post was in context with his.
My goodness, how inattentive of me to assume that your direct reply to Roger actually was in context with what he was talking about, especially since you said "that is exactly how it works". I should have read your mind and realized that when you said explicitly that yours works exactly the same way, what you actually meant was that it works in a similar, but different, way. Which you didn't articulate.

Quote:
I also mentioned the model. The HK525.
Now who's not paying attention?

You: I can't say for every AVR manufacturer but that is exactly how it works on my Onkyo
Me: And what Onkyo model allows this "two tier" bass management scheme?

So the Onkyo model is the HK525? I didn't know Onkyo made Harman Kardon receivers!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
The sound of thunder will then emit from the subwoofer on the floor level, not from the sky above you. Are you sure you can handle that?
I don't believe the low freq sound of thunder comes from above; if the lightning was that close the higher freq would dominate, not having been more greatly attenuated by distance.

And from a distance, all the sound is more or less land-born and in my experience is only slightly directional, having diffracted and reflected off of the terrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
My understanding is that the AVR/pre-pro indeed does that for the Atmos ceiling speakers. That's why these Atmos add-in speaker modules can get away with using a full range 3" driver.

Everything below the XO frequency will be sent to the associated floor speaker then bass management will apply its own XO to the floor speakers.
Great!

Noah
post #3963 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
I can't say for every AVR manufacturer but that is exactly how it works on my Onkyo and my previous Harmon Kardon 525 from 2002.

The option was there to BM up to 200hz. If one were to BM a speaker that was 180-200hz, for example, that content would be sent to the left and right mains and if those were also BM'd then the rest would go to the SUB out.

Most AVR's only redirect the bass from other small speakers (plus LFE) to the R & L channels when the R & L main channels are set to large and the subwoofer is set to OFF.

If you set the R & L mains to small, then the bass management scheme is different. All redirected bass (plus LFE) is sent to the subwoofer in the all small speaker mode.

All AVRs have their peculiarities, so you have to test the AVR in question to figure bass management out. Are you sure about your bass management?

When the R & L mains are set to large (others small) in my AVR, the bass management sends redirected bass (and LFE) to the R & L mains. If the subwoofer output is activated, then total R & L bass is LP filtered and sent to the subwoofer output jack. That is the bass management mode that I use.
post #3964 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
I don't believe the low freq sound of thunder comes from above; if the lightning was that close the higher freq would dominate, not having been more greatly attenuated by distance.

And from a distance, all the sound is more or less land-born and in my experience is only slightly directional, having diffracted and reflected off of the terrain.

Great!

Atmos need to add a channel for sound from down below. They don't do that because people might say that Atmos sounds like hell!
post #3965 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Well that sure went... somewhere. : |
post #3966 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
Atmos need to add a channel for sound from down below. They don't do that because people might say that Atmos sounds like hell!
Sound coming up from the floor a little breeze blows through the room a fog rolls along the floor with birds chirping in the trees and of course your couch needs to vibrate just in case there is an earthquake that maybe the future of atmos.

My main setup
PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top rear. Bic Acoustech speakers, Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos top front Ceiling Speakers
post #3967 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
Sound coming up from the floor a little breeze blows through the room a fog rolls along the floor with birds chirping in the trees and of course your couch needs to vibrate just in case there is an earthquake that maybe the future of atmos.

Think that's 4D
post #3968 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Kef Elevation speakers

First post on AVS, I have been following the home theater Atmos thread with great interest. I am currently building a home with a dedicated home theater room and plan to implement a 7.3.4 setup with either on ceiling or possibly elevation/reflective speakers. I am trying to narrow down my choice of either Sonus Faber Venere , KEF R series or Martin Logan Motion series paired with REL subwoofers.
After much searching online for higher end speaker manufacturer's producing Dolby Atmos elevation speakers I managed to find an article on theregister.co.uk featuring KEF modules. The KEF speakers in the pictures below were recently used for a demo by Dolby in the UK, my original homeland. I am now settling into life in the wild west (Texas).
Not sure if this was taken from the same demo Keith recently attended?
Keith, Scott, Sanjay, Filmixer and many others have provided valuable information and insight into what I hope will prove to be a huge step up from TrueHD and DTS HD master audio, thank you to all who have posted.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolby_atmos_elevation_speaker_by_kef.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	210865   Click image for larger version

Name:	dolby_uk_demo_listening_room[1].jpg
Views:	106
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	210897  
post #3969 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKTexan View Post
He just attended another demo yesterday. Will be interesting to find out if he got to hear the Kefs (one of my favourite speaker brands, I had no idea they were an Atmos licensee).

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Sanjay
post #3970 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
He just attended another demo yesterday. Will be interesting to find out if he got to hear the Kefs (one of my favourite speaker brands, I had no idea they were an Atmos licensee).

I wonder if they will be on display at CEDIA?

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Thank you.
post #3971 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 09:08 PM

A couple more pictures of the KEF floor stands with elevation speakers taken from http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/08/dol...ody-brilliant/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KEF FLOOR STAND.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	211121   Click image for larger version

Name:	KEF Elevation.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	211129  
post #3972 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
A couple more pictures of the KEF floor stands with elevation speakers taken from http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/08/dol...ody-brilliant/
Repost for your link...

A journalists report from the Dolby demo:

Dolby Atmos for Your Home: I've Heard it, and it Sounds Bloody Brilliant

Quote:
Having heard the simulated reflected surround sound efforts of numerous soundbars, I was a little skeptical as to just how well the Dolby system would perform. It was with some trepidation then that I headed into Dolby’s London office for a demo of the home-bound Atmos kit, set to complement anything from a basic 5.1 set up to more lavish dedicated home cinema rooms. But not only does it work, it works bloody brilliantly.
post #3973 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
....Will be interesting to find out if he got to hear the Kefs (one of my favourite speaker brands, I had no idea they were an Atmos licensee).
Coaxials - they're a natural.
post #3974 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've been looking through all the documents I can find, but still not finding much concrete on the ceiling speaker locations.

I will have a 27' x 17' home theater (25' x 17' from screen wall to back wall) and 10' high ceiling. I'll be mounting speakers in the coffered beams.

I'm not sure if I should mount 4 or 6 speakers (I know the current receivers would be 7.1.4 and only 4 ceiling, but I have one shot to easily incorporate the ceiling speakers).

If two, where should I put the speakers. I have two rows of seating, with the back row being about 6' off the back wall. Has Dolby provided anything other than the crude drawings and stated one set in front of listening area and one behind?

My initial thinking is to put one set just behind the back row, maybe 5' off the back wall, which would be about 8.5' behind the front row (the only row occupied 95% of time) and then the front set 8.5' in front of front row. The downside to this is it puts one set almost on top of the back row and the other 16's in front.

I'm lost as to where to cut the holes in the coffers and run the wires to.

Any thoughts?
post #3975 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
I've been looking through all the documents I can find, but still not finding much concrete on the ceiling speaker locations.

I will have a 27' x 17' home theater (25' x 17' from screen wall to back wall) and 10' high ceiling. I'll be mounting speakers in the coffered beams.

I'm not sure if I should mount 4 or 6 speakers (I know the current receivers would be 7.1.4 and only 4 ceiling, but I have one shot to easily incorporate the ceiling speakers).

If two, where should I put the speakers. I have two rows of seating, with the back row being about 6' off the back wall. Has Dolby provided anything other than the crude drawings and stated one set in front of listening area and one behind?

My initial thinking is to put one set just behind the back row, maybe 5' off the back wall, which would be about 8.5' behind the front row (the only row occupied 95% of time) and then the front set 8.5' in front of front row. The downside to this is it puts one set almost on top of the back row and the other 16's in front.

I'm lost as to where to cut the holes in the coffers and run the wires to.

Any thoughts?
Dolby mentioned that more detailed installation white papers will be released around the time of the CEDIA Expo in September. Can you hold off a bit? I sure would.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3976 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Cool Awesome!

Quote:
I can't say for every AVR manufacturer but that is exactly how it works on my Onkyo and my previous Harmon Kardon 525 from 2002.
The option was there to BM up to 200hz. If one were to BM a speaker that was 180-200hz, for example, that content would be sent to the left and right mains and if those were also BM'd then the rest would go to the SUB out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I'm confused, how could an HK AVR from 2002 have the concept of a "downstairs neighbor" speaker. There wasn't even height speakers back then. Are you talking about bass redirection from the surrounds?
And what Onkyo model allows this "two tier" bass management scheme? I've never even heard of this option (bass managing first to the L/R mains and then from there to the sub) before the current Atmos discussion.
Quote:
You are probably confused because you aren't paying attention.
I never said anything about a "downstairs neighbor". That was Roger who did and my post was in context with his.
Yes this was for the surrounds or center.
I also mentioned the model. The HK525.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
My goodness, how inattentive of me to assume that your direct reply to Roger actually was in context with what he was talking about, especially since you said "that is exactly how it works". I should have read your mind and realized that when you said explicitly that yours works exactly the same way, what you actually meant was that it works in a similar, but different, way. Which you didn't articulate.
Now who's not paying attention?
You: I can't say for every AVR manufacturer but that is exactly how it works on my Onkyo
Me: And what Onkyo model allows this "two tier" bass management scheme?
So the Onkyo model is the HK525? I didn't know Onkyo made Harman Kardon receivers!
Quote:
Well that sure went... somewhere. : |
♦ One evening, only one, I would love going to a tavern (or even better, a strip joint) with you two guys.
Scott Simonian and ambesolman like this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-13-2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: ♦
post #3977 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
One evening, only one, I would love going to the tavern (or even better, a strip joint) with you two guys.
They'd be too busy arguing to notice the hot babes swirling around on metal poles.

post #3978 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I will have a 27' x 17' home theater (25' x 17' from screen wall to back wall) and 10' high ceiling.
Just to be clear: the length of your room (front to back) is 27 feet? But your screen wall is 2 feet from the real front wall?
Quote:
I have two rows of seating, with the back row being about 6' off the back wall.
How important is the back row? Is it for occasional overflow seating or used all the time?
Quote:
Has Dolby provided anything other than the crude drawings and stated one set in front of listening area and one behind?
No. They're supposed to be issuing a white paper at CEDIA in a few weeks that addresses placement and installation of an Atmos set-up. Can you wait till mid September?

Sanjay
post #3979 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I wonder if they will be on display at CEDIA?
Yup, I hope whatever manufacturers (speakers and electronics) have been holding back will announce their Atmos products at CEDIA. Same with studios and Atmos encoded titles on Blu-ray.

Sanjay
post #3980 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Yup, I hope whatever manufacturers (speakers and electronics) have been holding back will announce their Atmos products at CEDIA. Same with studios and Atmos encoded titles on Blu-ray.

post #3981 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
They'd be too busy arguing to notice the hot babes swirling around on metal poles.
Never too busy and often way too distracted by the local fauna.

Lol and it's not I was arguing or anything. I thought my posts were pretty straight forward.

But I'll join yall regardless and buy the drinks. I'll have nachos.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Last edited by Scott Simonian; 08-13-2014 at 10:32 PM.
post #3982 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Never too busy and often way too distracted by the local fauna.

Lol and it's not I was arguing or anything. I thought my posts were pretty straight forward.

But I'll join yall regardless and buy the drinks. I'll have nachos.
Just gently ribbing you guys.

There's a place called Shotgun Willies just outside Denver. You can look it up for yourselves... but not at work. CEDIA is coming...

post #3983 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Has this been posted-Cnet's feature w/ lots of pics!

http://www.cnet.com/news/dolby-atmos-at-home-ears-on/
Dan Hitchman and grtuck like this.
post #3984 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Think that's 4D
♦ Hein hein, it's D-Box Technologies

List of D-Box Motion-Enhanced Theatrical Films

Quote:
First post on AVS, I have been following the home theater Atmos thread with great interest. I am currently building a home with a dedicated home theater room and plan to implement a 7.3.4 setup with either on ceiling or possibly elevation/reflective speakers. I am trying to narrow down my choice of either Sonus Faber Venere , KEF R series or Martin Logan Motion series paired with REL subwoofers.
After much searching online for higher end speaker manufacturer's producing Dolby Atmos elevation speakers I managed to find an article on theregister.co.uk featuring KEF modules. The KEF speakers in the pictures below were recently used for a demo by Dolby in the UK, my original homeland. I am now settling into life in the wild west (Texas).
Keith, Scott, Sanjay, Filmixer and many others have provided valuable information and insight into what I hope will prove to be a huge step up from TrueHD and DTS HD master audio, thank you to all who have posted.

Quote:
A couple more pictures of the KEF floor stands with elevation speakers taken from Read This!
♦ Thank you for sharing, and welcome to AVS!
----------------------------------

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-13-2014 at 10:45 PM.
post #3985 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I've noticed that on a few of these sites' latest Atmos demo reviews they keep bringing up that discs may be out towards the holidays. I'm assuming Dolby's "fall" release pronouncement has slipped a bit.

You would think that hardware and software would be ready to roll at the same time when something like this monumental shift in audio reproduction comes around. That would make for a great marketing coup, wouldn't it??

And how exactly are these studios going to announce Atmos releases on their own? They didn't exactly herald the debut of Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio with a trumpet fanfare. Their home video marketing departments sometimes leave something to be desired.

I hope they're not expecting Best Buy and their "Blue Shirts" to do the legwork for them... that'll be a rip roaring success.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 08-13-2014 at 10:57 PM.
post #3986 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Just to be clear: the length of your room (front to back) is 27 feet? But your screen wall is 2 feet from the real front wall? How important is the back row? Is it for occasional overflow seating or used all the time? No. They're supposed to be issuing a white paper at CEDIA in a few weeks that addresses placement and installation of an Atmos set-up. Can you wait till mid September?
Yes, the shell of the room is 27' front to back, and the screen wall is actually about 30" in front of the front wall, but yes, essentially what you described.

95% of the time (or more) it will be just my wife and I in the front row, middle seats (two rows of four).

Yes, the shell is being built this week, but I think we can hold off until they come back to finish the theater (trim, acoustical treatment, etc.) in the fall. We just won't actually drill through the shell with wires until then.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for Cedia.
post #3987 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post
I got approval from Scott Simonian to post the picture of him PIMPIN at the Dolby Labs Headquarters.

Spoiler!

You asked for it Scott

RayJr
He's got that "I just ate the last waffle taco" grin.
Scott Simonian likes this.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #3988 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up Ya man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Has this been posted-Cnet's feature w/ lots of pics!

http://www.cnet.com/news/dolby-atmos-at-home-ears-on/
Right on baby!
post #3989 of 14748 Old 08-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
He's got that "I just ate the last waffle taco" grin.

Bacon cheeseburger actually.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #3990 of 14748 Old 08-14-2014, 12:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, the shell is being built this week, but I think we can hold off until they come back to finish the theater (trim, acoustical treatment, etc.) in the fall.
If you haven't built it yet, might I recommend you put the listeners' ears at 1/5th and 2/5th of room length from the back wall (65" and 130" from the back wall, respectively). Odd divisions of room length are where many of the problem frequencies (room modes) are roughly the same volume level, avoiding deep nulls (cancellations that cannot be fixed later with EQ).

Sanjay
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page