post #4951 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1585 Post(s)
Liked: 1779
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
The issue (not just the X4100W but the higher models is well) is that it appears they support a MAX of FOUR height/top speakers. The "Front Wide" outputs can't be configured to output a third pair of height speaker signals. The six outputs beyond the standard 7.1ch layout are for four height/top speakers and two front wide speakers.

So while it certainly appears possible to switch between an Atmos output with 4 top speakers and a Neo:X layout with wide + 2 height speakers, it does NOT appear possible to switch between 4 top speakers for Atmos and a SEPARATE pair of front height speakers for Neo:X or PLIIz (i.e. SIX total elevated speakers).

Or, in other words, the only way to switch between Atmos surround and "legacy" surround upmix is if the FIRST pair of elevated speakers are designated as Front Height so they can be "shared" between the modes. Thus it would only work with <Front Height + Top Middle / Top Rear / Rear Height> configs.
Thanks Sir batpig! (I have had you honored as a knight of the realm of Olde Englande for services to Denon - of the garter order, obviously ).

So I will be good to go, since my intended designation of the ceiling speakers at 42 degrees is Front Height, to be used with Top Middle.

It's not all that important to me TBH as I am expecting Dolby Surround will be better than any legacy upmixer, but as the speakers are there, and it is easier to leave them in place than remove them, I may as well give it a try. I have enough amps lying around here to do it.

Thanks again - you are truly an encyclopedic cornucopia of knowledge of all things Denon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Probably stating the obvious, but does anybody know if the new Dolby Surround also become available when the Atmos FW is ready? IOW will buyers of the new Atmos-ready AVR or pre/pros have a "head start" with Dolby Surround, or have to stay with their legacy upmixers until the firmware upgrade will be ready?
AIUI, DS will be part of the FW upgrade to Atmos. All Atmos units are mandated to have DS, but I doubt if DS will be available on its own.

post #4953 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Probably stating the obvious, but does anybody know if the new Dolby Surround also become available when the Atmos FW is ready? IOW will buyers of the new Atmos-ready AVR or pre/pros have a "head start" with Dolby Surround, or have to stay with their legacy upmixers until the firmware upgrade will be ready?
That's a very good question. It hasn't been super clear really.

I believe that these devices will not have either full decoded Atmos and the upmixer at start and that both will be included when the updates roll out.

It would be interesting if we got the upmixer to play with beforehand. That doesn't appear to be the case and really it's up to the CE's to decide how to implement that feature.

My guess is that we will have to wait for the upmixer along with decoded Atmos.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #4954 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
That's a very good question. It hasn't been super clear really.

I believe that these devices will not have either full decoded Atmos and the upmixer at start and that both will be included when the updates roll out.

It would be interesting if we got the upmixer to play with beforehand. That doesn't appear to be the case and really it's up to the CE's to decide how to implement that feature.

My guess is that we will have to wait for the upmixer along with decoded Atmos.

Mine too, but we'll learn more @ CEDIA, hopefully, when at least some of us are there .

Slight raining on the parade: With all the enthusiasm about Atmos on AVS (at least among a bubble of hard-core hobbyists), the elephant in the room is Dolby Surround, as the vast majority of content in the near future will be upmixed and not native Atmos. Otherwise, no offense Keith and FM, but those top-firing or ceiling speaker modules aren't going to particularly useful when you get your new AVRs except as "front heights" with Neo:X or Audyssey DSX, maybe (as Dolby PLII is now dead technology in these AVRs, correct?).

From a marketing POV, what would be weird about the firmware for Dolby Surround coming down the pike is that as per FM, Pioneer's already announced the release of the Andrew Jones speakers and Elite AVRs with Atmos capability.

If Dolby Surround isn't ready for the release, you're asking consumers to take a chance that those shiny new Andrew Jones speakers they're buying will "eventually" be ready for prime time over buying conventional non-Atmos capable speakers or keeping existing speakers. If I were planning to buy a Pioneer Atmos-capable AVR (I'm not, for several reasons) I would buy them and wait, and many if not most of the folks here would do the same, but asking Joe Consumer shopping at Magnolia to wait is another thing. I know late August/September is roughly the traditional release schedule for Pioneer Elites, but they might be better off waiting until at least Dolby Surround is ready to keep up the momentum.

At any rate, I personally am not buying anything Atmos-related until after CEDIA.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

Last edited by sdrucker; 08-21-2014 at 09:58 AM.
post #4955 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Mine too, but we'll learn more @ CEDIA, hopefully, when at least some of us are there .

Slight raining on the parade: With all the enthusiasm about Atmos on AVS (at least among a bubble of hard-core hobbyists), the elephant in the room is Dolby Surround, as the vast majority of content in the near future will be upmixed and not native Atmos. Otherwise, no offense Keith and FM, but those top-firing or ceiling speaker modules aren't going to particularly useful when you get your new AVRs except as "front heights" with Neo:X or Audyssey DSX, maybe (as Dolby PLII is now dead technology in these AVRs, correct?).

From a marketing POV, what would be weird about the firmware for Dolby Surround coming down the pike is that as per FM, Pioneer's already announced the release of the Andrew Jones speakers and Elite AVRs with Atmos capability.

If Dolby Surround isn't ready for the release, you're asking consumers to take a chance that those shiny new Andrew Jones speakers they're buying will "eventually" be ready for prime time over buying conventional non-Atmos capable speakers or keeping existing speakers. If I were planning to buy a Pioneer Atmos-capable AVR (I'm not, for several reasons) I would buy them and wait, and many if not most of the folks here would do the same, but asking Joe Consumer shopping at Magnolia to wait is another thing. I know late August/September is roughly the traditional release schedule for Pioneer Elites, but they might be better off waiting until at least Dolby Surround is ready to keep up the momentum.

At any rate, I personally am not buying anything Atmos-related until after CEDIA.
No offense taken here, Stuart, at all. I have always said that DS will be hugely important for the very reason you mention. I am guessing that it comes with the FW upgrade as it is part of the total package. And it would be bad marketing, IMO, to offer it independently of Atmos anyway - it would allow people to hear a 'less than perfect'. 'sort of' Atmos which could then prejudice their opinion of the real thing when it comes.

I have been hugely impressed at how this is all being marketed, and while there may be other reasons for not releasing DS as a standalone thing, the marketing angle alone is compelling IMO. It would certainly be my advice if I was involved in Dolby's marketing at all.

At any rate, I am 99.99% sure that DS will not be announced independently of Atmos and can't see any good reason why it should. To use DS properly, you need an Atmos speaker configuration and anyone doing that will also want a true Atmos experience from their AVR. IMO.
Scott Simonian likes this.

post #4956 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
No offense taken here, Stuart, at all. I have always said that DS will be hugely important for the very reason you mention. I am guessing that it comes with the FW upgrade as it is part of the total package. And it would be bad marketing, IMO, to offer it independently of Atmos anyway - it would allow people to hear a 'less than perfect'. 'sort of' Atmos which could then prejudice their opinion of the real thing when it comes.

I have been hugely impressed at how this is all being marketed, and while there may be other reasons for not releasing DS as a standalone thing, the marketing angle alone is compelling IMO. It would certainly be my advice if I was involved in Dolby's marketing at all.

At any rate, I am 99.99% sure that DS will not be announced independently of Atmos and can't see any good reason why it should. To use DS properly, you need an Atmos speaker configuration and anyone doing that will also want a true Atmos experience from their AVR. IMO.

We can agree to disagree there: the wisdom of having all the Atmos-related firmware downloadable at one time as part of an integrated plan, vs. having Dolby Surround that can use the Atmos-capable speakers ahead of when home Atmos is ready. YMMV, but IMO if Dolby Surround is ready to go, and is "pretty good", I'd like to have it to get a taste of what Atmos might be like with those AJ or Atmos-oriented speakers, set up in the true Atmos speaker configuration.

At any rate, while that's what I'd want ideally as a buyer, you're probably right that it will all be ready and available at the same time.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #4957 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 911
Quote:
Otherwise, no offense Keith and FM, but those top-firing or ceiling speaker modules aren't going to particularly useful when you get your new AVRs except as "front heights" with Neo:X or Audyssey DSX, maybe (as Dolby PLII is now dead technology in these AVRs, correct?).
Remains to be seen whether the height processing and the three-way crossover are only active with Atmos decoding and DS upmixing but not Neo:X or DSX. I would guess/hope that the height processing and crossover are a condition of configuring the receiver for upward-firing speakers, not something that remains on only for Dolby modes. If it is as I hope, then Neo:X can benefit from virtual heights as well.

Sanjay
post #4958 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I'm waiting and listening.........ceiling cloud is all ready for Atmos implementation............

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	222185  
Dan Hitchman and grtuck like this.

My Build Threads

post #4959 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Remains to be seen whether the height processing and the three-way crossover are only active with Atmos decoding and DS upmixing but not Neo:X or DSX. I would guess/hope that the height processing and crossover are a condition of configuring the receiver for upward-firing speakers, not something that remains on only for Dolby modes. If it is as I hope, then Neo:X can benefit from virtual heights as well.
I may be missing something but I don't think you can use DSX, Neo:X, etc. with the "virtual" Atmos height speakers.

Taking the Denon as an example, you have to specifically designate that you are using "Dolby enabled" speakers when configuring your height speakers layout. And the surround output chart clearly indicates that these speakers only make noise in Dolby Atmos or Dolby Surround modes.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4960 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't think you can use DSX, Neo:X, etc. with the "virtual" Atmos height speakers.
Too bad. There is a version of Neo:X that uses 4 heights in a 7.1.4 configuration that could benefit from virtual height speakers (even if their overhead spots are not in the ideal locations for Neo). Hope it becomes format agnostic in the future.

Sanjay
post #4961 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
The issue (not just the X4100W but the higher models is well) is that it appears they support a MAX of FOUR height/top speakers. The "Front Wide" outputs can't be configured to output a third pair of height speaker signals. The six outputs beyond the standard 7.1ch layout are for four height/top speakers and two front wide speakers.

So while it certainly appears possible to switch between an Atmos output with 4 top speakers and a Neo:X layout with wide + 2 height speakers, it does NOT appear possible to switch between 4 top speakers for Atmos and a SEPARATE pair of front height speakers for Neo:X or PLIIz (i.e. SIX total elevated speakers).

Or, in other words, the only way to switch between Atmos surround and "legacy" surround upmix is if the FIRST pair of elevated speakers are designated as Front Height so they can be "shared" between the modes. Thus it would only work with <Front Height + Top Middle / Top Rear / Rear Height> configs.
As I read it, you can use Front Wide (page 168) while NEO:X is selected and (page 209) Wide/Height is set to Default while still be able to play 7.1.4 with 4 Top speakers.
My setup will be: Assign Mode 11.1 with 4 height speakers (Top Front and Top Rear) with Wide Height set to Front Wide and Pre Out set to Top Rear.
This means that 11 speakers are connected to the unit and the Top Rears are connected using a pre amp on Pre Out Height 2.
With this config I ass-u-me that I can play 9.1 with Front Wide from NEO:X and 7.1.4 with Dolby Surround.

Please correct me if I am wrong. This is how I am setup right now and if it cannot be done this way I guess my Front Wides will have to sit until some next gen Denon arrives at the scene.
post #4962 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Definitive Technology A60 module rated at 100W for maximum watt handling and 100W for peak power handling, something to keep in mind if you're considering doing A60s.

Last edited by Orbitron; 08-21-2014 at 10:59 AM.
post #4963 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
As I read it, you can use Front Wide (page 168) while NEO:X is selected and (page 209) Wide/Height is set to Default while still be able to play 7.1.4 with 4 Top speakers.
My setup will be: Assign Mode 11.1 with 4 height speakers (Top Front and Top Rear) with Wide Height set to Front Wide and Pre Out set to Top Rear.
This means that 11 speakers are connected to the unit and the Top Rears are connected using a pre amp on Pre Out Height 2.
With this config I ass-u-me that I can play 9.1 with Front Wide from NEO:X and 7.1.4 with Dolby Surround.

Please correct me if I am wrong. This is how I am setup right now and if it cannot be done this way I guess my Front Wides will have to sit until some next gen Denon arrives at the scene.

Again, I think there are two key restrictions that are inviolate:

1. You can only have FOUR elevated speakers (so you can't have four "top" speakers for Atmos and a separate pair of "Front Height" for Neo:X/DSX)
2. If you want to "share" one of those pairs of elevated speakers between Atmos and "legacy" non-Atmos height upmixers, the Height1 output must be designated as FRONT HEIGHT.

It may be academic if your forward pair of elevated speakers is placed within the angular range for BOTH the "Top Front" and "Front Height" assignments, but (based on the chart on pg 287) both DSX and Neo:X can only provide height output to the speaker pair designated as FRONT HEIGHT.

Beyond that, it appears to be free range to connect up to 13 speakers (4 high and 2 wide in addition to the standard 7.1) and switch among Atmos, Dolby Surround, Neo:X and DSX modes. Provided you have sufficient channels of amplification for all 13 speakers.

Anyway... all that being said, it sounds like you want to switch between 9.1 Neo:X (no height speakers, 7.1 + Front Wide) and Atmos in 7.1.4 (four "Top" speakers). This shouldn't be a problem, although again by designating the front pair of elevated speakers as "Front Height" instead of "Top Front" you could switch between 11ch DSX (7.1 + wide + height) and 7.1.4 Atmos. But if you prefer it that way to keep the Atmos config "ideal" with Top Front + Top Rear assignments, it will work.

However, unless I'm wrong it DOES appear you will need FOUR extra channels of external amps. This is based on the paragraph on pg 210:

When one set of pre-amp outputs are used, a maximum 11.1-channel audio can
be output when Dolby Atmos or Dolby Surround are played back. Furthermore,
when two sets of pre-amp outputs are used, a maximum 11.1-channel audio can
be output when Audyssey DSX® or Neo:X are played back in addition to when
Dolby Atmos or Dolby Surround are played back.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4964 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
We can agree to disagree there: the wisdom of having all the Atmos-related firmware downloadable at one time as part of an integrated plan, vs. having Dolby Surround that can use the Atmos-capable speakers ahead of when home Atmos is ready.
Yep It would be disastrous IMO.

Quote:
YMMV, but IMO if Dolby Surround is ready to go, and is "pretty good", I'd like to have it to get a taste of what Atmos might be like with those AJ or Atmos-oriented speakers, set up in the true Atmos speaker configuration.

That's the problem. You’d have a go and then think a) it's pretty good but I was expecting better or b) it's disappointing, I was expecting better. I just can’t see a single benefit in it from Dolby's POV.

Quote:
At any rate, while that's what I'd want ideally as a buyer, you're probably right that it will all be ready and available at the same time.
If it isn't, I will eat my best Panama hat without sauce.

post #4965 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Thumbs up Onkyo TX-NR636 AV Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
Very nice.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #4966 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
I'm waiting and listening.........ceiling cloud is all ready for Atmos implementation............
You can only imagine how much I hate you for that room! LOL
Dan Hitchman and doublewing11 like this.

post #4967 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post
Reminds me of the song by Zager and Evans - "In the year 2525"
harrybnbad likes this.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #4968 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Nice, vewy nice.
doublewing11 likes this.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #4969 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Again, I think there are two key restrictions that are inviolate:

1. You can only have FOUR elevated speakers (so you can't have four "top" speakers for Atmos and a separate pair of "Front Height" for Neo:X/DSX)
2. If you want to "share" one of those pairs of elevated speakers between Atmos and "legacy" non-Atmos height upmixers, the Height1 output must be designated as FRONT HEIGHT.

It may be academic if your forward pair of elevated speakers is placed within the angular range for BOTH the "Top Front" and "Front Height" assignments, but (based on the chart on pg 287) both DSX and Neo:X can only provide height output to the speaker pair designated as FRONT HEIGHT.

Beyond that, it appears to be free range to connect up to 13 speakers (4 high and 2 wide in addition to the standard 7.1) and switch among Atmos, Dolby Surround, Neo:X and DSX modes. Provided you have sufficient channels of amplification for all 13 speakers.

Anyway... all that being said, it sounds like you want to switch between 9.1 Neo:X (no height speakers, 7.1 + Front Wide) and Atmos in 7.1.4 (four "Top" speakers). This shouldn't be a problem, although again by designating the front pair of elevated speakers as "Front Height" instead of "Top Front" you could switch between 11ch DSX (7.1 + wide + height) and 7.1.4 Atmos. But if you prefer it that way to keep the Atmos config "ideal" with Top Front + Top Rear assignments, it will work.

However, unless I'm wrong it DOES appear you will need FOUR extra channels of external amps. This is based on the paragraph on pg 210:

When one set of pre-amp outputs are used, a maximum 11.1-channel audio can
be output when Dolby Atmos or Dolby Surround are played back. Furthermore,
when two sets of pre-amp outputs are used, a maximum 11.1-channel audio can
be output when Audyssey DSX® or Neo:X are played back in addition to when
Dolby Atmos or Dolby Surround are played back.
I want to play 7.1.4 = 11Ch in Atmos / Dolby Surround and play 9.1 in NEO:x. In NEO:X only the pair connected to Wide/Height2 speaker terminal and no Height 1 (Top Front) and Pre Out Height 2 (Top Rear). So the above statement is fully correct. I don't need 4 amps because I don't use 11.1 in NEO:X because I don;t have FH's combined with FW's. Page 287 tells me that NEO:X can output sound to FW and FW is connected to terminals Wide/Height2 and assigned as stated above. Again, time will tell but I really think this is going to work.
I cannot go for Atmos FH + Top Middle because that would place my Atmos Front Ceiling pair way to far out. I have 4 ceiling speakers connected and maintained my current Wide speakers and those I would still like to be able to use but without any of the Top speakers obviously because of limitations of the unit.

So yes, 13 speakers connected while using 9 or 11 at a time and when using 11, the Height 2 Pre Out for Top Rear is being used.

Last edited by Bumper; 08-21-2014 at 02:32 PM.
post #4970 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
There is a version of Neo:X that uses 4 heights in a 7.1.4 configuration that could benefit from virtual height speakers (even if their overhead spots are not in the ideal locations for Neo). Hope it becomes format agnostic in the future.

That does seem possible when we look at the story behind the "X" in "Neo:X", as excerpted from a small 'puff piece' interview with DTS about Neo:X on TechRadar com (link):

Quote:
"When we showed 11.1, we came up with a concept called 'Neo:X' – where 'X' could be any number within reason. 'X' for CES was 11.

[11.1] was what we showed. It could be 11, it could be 9, it could be 13, it could be 366. The Master Audio algorithm is very expandable."
_

[
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #4971 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 820
That was sort of the claim to fame of their algorithm that it would be expandable to essentially an unlimited amount of speakers. Hence the moniker Neo:X.

Will interesting to see what they bring to the table.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #4972 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Hey guys,
Any opinions on Triad in-ceilings (silver or gold) for Atmos? Also, any idea on their approx cost?

Steve
post #4973 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post
Reminds me of the song by Zager and Evans...In the year 2525
I remember that song perfect for the 60's - very nihilistic.

Steve
post #4974 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
Any opinions on Triad in-ceilings (silver or gold) for Atmos?
Triad might be making an announcement at CEDIA.

Sanjay
post #4975 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
You can only imagine how much I hate you for that room! LOL
Dear Keith,

Please remind me to invite you over whenever mine is ready! Only a train trip away...

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR.
post #4976 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 79
There's little chance but I wonder if older (2-3 year) AVR's will see the new Dolby Surround firmware update? That would be nice.

2015 it is.
post #4977 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post
There's little chance but I wonder if older (2-3 year) AVR's will see the new Dolby Surround firmware update? That would be nice.
They will not. It only works with Atmos speaker positions. ProLogic was designed to work with current speaker positions.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4978 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
That's the problem. You’d have a go and then think a) it's pretty good but I was expecting better or b) it's disappointing, I was expecting better. I just can’t see a single benefit in it from Dolby's POV.

If it isn't, I will eat my best Panama hat without sauce.

Speaking as a relative Atmos insider (you've been to two more Dolby presentations than the vast majority of us have to date ), I can see you saying that. As a consumer, I'd take what I can get to get a taste of it, and I'd hope that the simulated product (DS) is good enough to compel me to want the real thing and look for Atmos specific mixes. But as we know, consumer convenience doesn't drive marketing decisions.

However, there's actually another consideration to support your POV: if you lead with Dolby Surround rather than the ability to decode Atmos natively, and it's as "very good" as indicated by some, less people will go out and buy Atmos mixes because they'll be satisfied with the DS upmixing (technical points about what DS is doing vs. Atmos aside being beyond the scope of Joe Consumer). That's a bad thing for studios, since for them, Dolby Surround is really just a curiosity to bridge people to Atmos until more Atmos mixes are available. Not that there's a cabal of profit maximizers, but I can see common interests converging toward Dolby Surround following Atmos (or released concurrently) vs. leading the way to get people into buying Atmos receivers.

Besides, only us enthusiasts worry about stuff like this. And we certainly don't drive the market.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #4979 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
I think it's reasonable to expect Dolby Surround to be at least as good as PLIIx is on music as well as movies. Surely Dolby is going to deliver the goods for its new upmixing. But it is kind of interesting that no demo has included it.

(Also interesting - I asked Walkamo about it and unless I misunderstand him, he's not had the opportunity either. Apparently, demos to them as a mfg have been with Atmos tracks but not std material.)

That tells me it's still an unknown & we have to take Dolby's word that it will be "better". Not being negative at all, just kind of summarizing what people haven't heard who have been part of evaluations & demos.

Steve
post #4980 of 9553 Old 08-21-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post
Not possible

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Ceiling Speakers
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page