post #541 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
So what I do is position the side surrounds to fill in the space between the front left and right and the rear left and right. Awash in awesome surround sound-ness.
Most people with 7.1 set-ups start the surround field directly at their sides or slightly behind them, but you're using the 4 surround speakers to literally place your listening position inside the surround field. BTW, you're in good company, since that's how Floyd Toole lays out his 4 surround speakers.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Yes. Some movies ARE mixed for the home. You've probably seen a Disney movie with a "Enhanced for Home Theater" mix. Or something to that effect. This is just an example but many other studios will do what is called a 'nearfield' mix for home video. The next difficult part is to follow the trail back to the studio mixing room where they may or may not have done the nearfield mix. It may have just been some alterations to the original theatrical track or a whole new mix done on conventional speakers that you or I would have and in a home theater type layout.
And here I thought there were standards for such things. Oh well.

In my mind this makes object-based audio even more appealing. The precise location of all your speakers is not very relevant (within reason) as long as the decoder knows exactly where they all are. This was great before, and now it's even better and makes even more sense.

post #543 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post

In my mind this makes object-based audio even more appealing. The precise location of all your speakers is not very relevant (within reason) as long as the decoder knows exactly where they all are. This was great before, and now it's even better and makes even more sense.
As of yet, there doesn't seem to be any "reasonably" priced Atmos renderers that do this. It's all based on various fixed speaker locations due to limitations in the software and DSP chips being used.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #544 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Most people with 7.1 set-ups start the surround field directly at their sides or slightly behind them, but you're using the 4 surround speakers to literally place your listening position inside the surround field. BTW, you're in good company, since that's how Floyd Toole lays out his 4 surround speakers.
Well thanks, bud! I got the idea from you.

Makes tons of sense when you think of it that way, to sit 'inside the surround field'. It works very well as long as surround use is not abysmal in the mix. Much more envelopment and less reliance for those highly tempting 'wides'.

Quote:

Yes things will only sound better with time as more and more object audio tracks are released and as audio mixers get more adept at using these objects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #545 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Much more envelopment and less reliance for those highly tempting 'wides'.
I wouldn't turn down wides, but they are low on my priority list. Adding speaker pairs to the initial 5.1 layout, I would start with surround-back speakers, followed by front tops, then rear tops, finally wides.

I don't know whether I would place a pair of speakers between the L/C/R speakers up front, unless placing them at the edges of my TV did something useful related to screen size.

Bringing up wide speakers makes me wonder how Atmos will use them. Around ear level, Atmos has 7 bed channels that will be sent to 7 speakers. Are the wides only going to be there to smoothen object pan-throughs? Or is there some upmixing that will send channel information to the wides?

I've wondered the same thing about the optional Atmos layout with 5 speakers behind the screen in commercial theatres. Since there's only 3 channels up front, are the inbetween speakers only for the occasional object to pan through?

Sanjay
post #546 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn't turn down wides, but they are low on my priority list. Adding speaker pairs to the initial 5.1 layout, I would start with surround-back speakers, followed by front tops, then rear tops, finally wides.

I don't know whether I would place a pair of speakers between the L/C/R speakers up front, unless placing them at the edges of my TV did something useful related to screen size.

Bringing up wide speakers makes me wonder how Atmos will use them. Around ear level, Atmos has 7 bed channels that will be sent to 7 speakers. Are the wides only going to be there to smoothen object pan-throughs? Or is there some upmixing that will send channel information to the wides?

I've wondered the same thing about the optional Atmos layout with 5 speakers behind the screen in commercial theatres. Since there's only 3 channels up front, are the inbetween speakers only for the occasional object to pan through?
They can either anchor or pan objects with the front wides and extra left/right screen speakers. Objects don't just pan, they can be stationary. Gravity's mixers put the dialog into objects so they could track it to where the characters were in the environment of a scene.

post #547 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I've posted around but are there any good links or diagrams for ideal Atmos speaker set up?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #548 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
An "ideal" ATMOS set-ups/possibilities is only coming over the horizon but there is no shortage of speculation,
looks like CE are aiming for 7.1.4 so there is a need for not only geometry wrt placement but have no doubt that there will be quite a few new speakers "recommended" for those "tops" wrt to dispersion and FR.
I had a good read over at "audioguru".

and its looks like an early contender out of the gate is a Marantz AV7702 as a pre/pro

you just need to amp 11 channels

ow NP!

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 12.3, configurable
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CB, Icon 25 CT,RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #549 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I've posted around but are there any good links or diagrams for ideal Atmos speaker set up?
For cinema: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolog...hite-paper.pdf

For home: Up for speculation. Subject to change.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #550 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Curious if by front tops you mean above L/R, or above the forward pair of surrounds.

Noah
post #551 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I'm wanting to change my current 7.2 setup to a 7.2.4 Atmos configuration with the 4 ceiling speakers.
My questions are...is Marantz my only choice for this many speakers or will the top of the line Pioneer work?
Also, best positioning for the 4 ceilings - 2 in front of center stage and 2 behind? 2 in front and 2 right over head? Any advice there?
Also, should the ceiling speakers be firing at a certain angle or straight down?
post #552 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
the front tops would be the 'on the ceiling" mol and in front of the MLP and rear tops would be behind

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 12.3, configurable
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CB, Icon 25 CT,RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #553 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Curious if by front tops you mean above L/R, or above the forward pair of surrounds.
The ones highlighted in yellow:

Sanjay
post #554 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 376
What if the mlp is against the back wall?

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
post #555 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
What if the mlp is against the back wall?
According to the diagram you can do a single pair of top middle speakers anywhere from directly above you to 25 degrees forward of the MLP.
nucky likes this.

Sanjay
post #556 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 263
This is one other exchange removed from the XMC-1 thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
Regardless you can count on the fact that they have figured out how to get from the cinema to the home without throwing anything away.
It can be said that a 5.1 presentation of an Atmos mix does not throw anything away, as every sound in the original soundtrack remains present. Is that how you mean it here? I would agree with that statement.

However, some folks playing the 5.1 version might say having no objects would be throwing something (undefined) away.

Roger

post #557 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
This is one other exchange removed from the XMC-1 thread.

It can be said that a 5.1 presentation of an Atmos mix does not throw anything away, as every sound in the original soundtrack remains present. Is that how you mean it here? I would agree with that statement.
No... that is not what I mean.

People are getting caught up in the maximum number of objects the codec will support.

There are other ways to whittle down the sheer number of objects outside of rendering them into a bed while still maintaining the intended artistic presentation.
post #558 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
People are getting caught up in the maximum number of objects the codec will support.

There are other ways to whittle down the sheer number of objects outside of rendering them into a bed while still maintaining the intended artistic presentation.
I was hoping your answer would be in that vein!

Roger

post #559 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I like that answer, as the recommended elevation of 45 deg DSX heights falls within that range, and is where I have them.

Am I correct that so far none of the mainstream receivers or pre/pro's discussed so far have provisions for Atmos 13.x with Wides?

Quote:
The ones highlighted in yellow:

Noah
post #560 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I like that answer, as the recommended elevation of 45 deg DSX heights falls within that range, and is where I have them.

Am I correct that so far none of the mainstream receivers or pre/pro's discussed so far have provisions for Atmos 13.x with Wides?
Unless there are more announcements... none that I know of outside of some super-duper expensive hot rod pre-amp.

post #561 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Not 13.1 but Onkyo's dedicated Atmos page does mention an 11.1 set-up that includes wides. However, they are the only manufacturer mentioning a 9.1.2 configuration, making me wonder if they are mistaken about wides.

Sanjay
post #562 of 8218 Old 07-07-2014, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 114
post #563 of 8218 Old 07-08-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Is there a need to timber match the height speakers?
post #564 of 8218 Old 07-08-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Is there a need to timber match the height speakers?
Only if you want sounds to remain consistent when they pan up.
ambesolman likes this.

Sanjay
post #565 of 8218 Old 07-08-2014, 06:38 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 1492
Quote:
Not 13.1 but Onkyo's dedicated Atmos page does mention an 11.1 set-up that includes wides. However, they are the only manufacturer mentioning a 9.1.2 configuration, making me wonder if they are mistaken about wides.
D&M has now confirmed that a 9.1.2 (w/Front Wides + top middle) will be an available Atmos configuration on the Denon X5200W/X7200W and Marantz AV7702/SR7009/AV8802.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atmos 9.1.2.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	153169  
Hugo S, Bigham16 and ambesolman like this.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 07-08-2014 at 09:14 AM.
post #566 of 8218 Old 07-08-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Am I the only one thinking that we should wait until object based processing is finally available before we jump in headfirst and regret buying something that is obsolete in 6 months?
post #567 of 8218 Old 07-08-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 51
^ Nope.

I will probably wait to see what the second generation of Atmos receivers/pre-pros are equipped with. And to see how the first generation goes and what people think of it.

post #568 of 8218 Old 07-08-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 384
It depends on whether you're the kind of person who clings obsessively to the same hardware for a decade, or if you fritter away your money on a new model every year.
kbarnes701 likes this.

Selden
post #569 of 8218 Old 07-08-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1667
Quote:

Unfortunately, in the current list of Atmos-enabled AVRs announced, they will not have any way of knowing where the speakers are. That is, they will not be measuring azimuth and elevation angles and do not have any way to input the info manually. You just have to put the speakers in the 'right' places, as we have always done.

post #570 of 8218 Old 07-08-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Unfortunately, in the current list of Atmos-enabled AVRs announced, they will not have any way of knowing where the speakers are. That is, they will not be measuring azimuth and elevation angles and do not have any way to input the info manually. You just have to put the speakers in the 'right' places, as we have always done.
Yet isn't DTS claiming they can do object based audio with much less processing power?

I was all excited about the new Pioneer AVRs with Atmos until I found out like the rest they won't be object based.
No worries, I'll just sit back and read about the early adopter's trials and tribulations.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page