Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
It's a processing/AVR issue..

The codec is scalable...

I think 5.1.2 is the sweet spot for smaller spaces... if the ceiling will allow for the add on of speaker modules...
I currently have ceiling surrounds and standard heights that are not being used. Will I be able to use all four with ATMOS or just the ceilings? Running 5.1 at moment.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
I currently have ceiling surrounds and standard heights that are not being used. Will I be able to use all four with ATMOS or just the ceilings? Running 5.1 at moment.

Jim
A lot up in the air right now in terms of specific receiver configuration options. From most of what we've seen an Atmos mix won't (at least initially) be able to utilize traditional "height" channels, i.e. as installed for PLIIz or DSX/Neo:X.

The big problem is that if you use your in-ceiling surrounds as Atmos "top" speakers.... then you don't have surround speakers. To really get Atmos to work well with the core 5.1.2 configuration, you would need to get more traditional surrounds (to the sides, closer to ear level, not in the ceiling) and then what you currently use as the surrounds in ceiling would become the Atmos "top" speakers.

Could you relocate the current height speakers to the sides for surround duty? That would put you in place for a 5.1.2 setup without any additional speaker purchases.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #783 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
A lot up in the air right now in terms of specific receiver configuration options. From most of what we've seen an Atmos mix won't (at least initially) be able to utilize traditional "height" channels, i.e. as installed for PLIIz or DSX/Neo:X.

The big problem is that if you use your in-ceiling surrounds as Atmos "top" speakers.... then you don't have surround speakers. To really get Atmos to work well with the core 5.1.2 configuration, you would need to get more traditional surrounds (to the sides, closer to ear level, not in the ceiling) and then what you currently use as the surrounds in ceiling would become the Atmos "top" speakers.

Could you relocate the current height speakers to the sides for surround duty? That would put you in place for a 5.1.2 setup without any additional speaker purchases.
I have towers currently as side surrounds. The ceilings are not currently in use.
post #784 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
If you mix using only 7.1 channels (no objects, no overhead beds) will the end result be a 7.1 mix?

Tougher question: if you mix using only 2 channels (no objects, no overhead beds, no centre nor surround channels) will the end result be a 2.0 mix.
No need to act condescending. Go back and read the "discussion" in context: The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version)

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #785 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 921
Ah. I see, you were asking if you could go to 5.1.4.

Like I said above, it remains to be seen if the first gen of professors will allow traditional "heights" to be used in an Atmos mix.

You can definitely do 5.1.2 as a minimum. And worst case you could always "lie" to the receiver and tell it the heights are front tops and the in ceiling speakers are top rears. There is a wide latitude for placement if you note the diagrams that have been posted, but the efficacy of the above will depend on how close your speakers are located to the "ideal".
post #786 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
^
Would that process reduce bandwidth requirements for the max. 118 simultaneous objects?
From the graphic it looks like objects have to be transmitted in 1...n separate transmission channels in order to be removable from the downmix.
Correct. This "compatibility core" process has no bearing on the number of objects. The number of objects in consumer media is limited only by bitrate.
post #787 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Roger... assuming Dolby did something similar for Home Atmos, how would the TrueHD and DD+ also handle the 5.1?
Exactly the same as they do today. In TrueHD a 7.1 mix carries an embedded 5.1 mix and adds a 2-ch extension that is subtracted out. DD+ 7.1 (on Blu-ray only) starts with a standard 5.1 DD core, then adds a 4-ch extension to replace the surrounds so as to avoid subtraction of lossy audio.

Quote:
From what I have been told they are doing something different... they also have to account for the overhead bed which is absent in the home version.. however, converting it to an object and encoding as described in your post may be their way around it... my info is a couple of months old and I will try and get some clarity on it.
A channel is nothing more than a stationary object pointed to a defined speaker (or array), so that would work perfectly.
post #788 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 01:20 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Auro has a postprocessing mode for legacy material.

Does any one know if ATMOS allows you to upmix anything from a mono source all the way to a 9.2.4 source?

Look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RjP-...ature=youtu.be

I want one of these too bad DATASAT left DIRAC out!

I didn't know that DTS's Multi-Dimensional Audio (MDA) format that is not only objects based, as well, but also open and royalty-free; no doubt to rain on Dolby's parade. So why is it that all the manufacturers only have ATMOS?

Last edited by wse; 07-10-2014 at 01:38 PM.
post #789 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
No need to act condescending.
Relax, just having a little fun, since you asked a tautological question (is it a standard channel-based mix if you don't use Atmos).

Sanjay
post #790 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Okv

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
There seems to be a lot of focus on ceiling speakers and speaker configurations.

But I believe the greatest benefit is that it is easier to produce better soundtracks, and they are independent of speaker configurations.
This should be a huge improvement even if there are no ceiling speakers.

Today I find that many, if not most, of the movies I have are only 5.1.
If it were not for Dolby Pro-Logic the back surrounds would be silent on most of my movies.
If movies were encoded and produced using object-based audio the decoder should be able to utilize the speaker configuration much better, so that it will be a real improvement to have 4 surrounds instead of the 2 used in a 5.1.
post #791 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:

I think 5.1.2 is the sweet spot for smaller spaces... if the ceiling will allow for the add on of speaker modules...
Music (movies!) to my ears. My small space will accommodate 5.1.2 nicely.
post #792 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okv View Post
If it were not for Dolby Pro-Logic the back surrounds would be silent on most of my movies.
If movies were encoded and produced using object-based audio the decoder should be able to utilize the speaker configuration much better, so that it will be a real improvement to have 4 surrounds instead of the 2 used in a 5.1.
Indeed, if upmixing fewer channels to more speakers sounds good to you, then having soundtracks that map/render themselves to your speaker layout will be even better.

Sanjay
post #793 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Exactly the same as they do today. In TrueHD a 7.1 mix carries an embedded 5.1 mix and adds a 2-ch extension that is subtracted out. DD+ 7.1 (on Blu-ray only) starts with a standard 5.1 DD core, then adds a 4-ch extension to replace the surrounds so as to avoid subtraction of lossy audio.
So the question is what is Atmos based upon. Both TrueHD and DD+ are optional on Blu-ray. DD is mandatory...

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #794 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So the question is what is Atmos based upon. Both TrueHD and DD+ are optional on Blu-ray. DD is mandatory...
I expect we will see both, again following current practice. TrueHD for main language, DD+ for others.
post #795 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Is there enough space on Blu-ray for Dolby Atmos and also DTS-HD MA?
post #796 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 04:34 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okv View Post
There seems to be a lot of focus on ceiling speakers and speaker configurations. But I believe the greatest benefit is that it is easier to produce better soundtracks, and they are independent of speaker configurations. This should be a huge improvement even if there are no ceiling speakers. Today I find that many, if not most, of the movies I have are only 5.1. If it were not for Dolby Pro-Logic the back surrounds would be silent on most of my movies. If movies were encoded and produced using object-based audio the decoder should be able to utilize the speaker configuration much better, so that it will be a real improvement to have 4 surrounds instead of the 2 used in a 5.1.
I love the idea of 9.2.4! Then I am done

Yes there are only:

- 813 movies in DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/search...&action=search)

- 176 in Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/search...&action=search)

- 120 in ATMOS (http://www.dolby.com/us/en/experienc...os/movies.html) of course none on Blu Ray yet

- 31 in AURO 3D (http://www.auro-3d.com/consumer/)

- None in DTS UHD MDA!!

When DTS demoed DTS MDA They used a quad core Cirrus Logic chip!!!

I am sure the studios will release them again at a major premium just like 3D!!!

Last edited by wse; 07-10-2014 at 04:47 PM.
post #797 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
I love the idea of 9.2.4! Then I am done

Yes there are only:

- 813 movies in DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/search...&action=search)

- 176 in Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/search...&action=search)

- 120 in ATMOS (http://www.dolby.com/us/en/experienc...os/movies.html) of course none on Blu Ray yet

- 31 in AURO 3D (http://www.auro-3d.com/consumer/)

- None in DTS UHD MDA!!

When DTS demoed DTS MDA They used a quad core Cirrus Logic chip!!!

I am sure the studios will release them again at a major premium just like 3D!!!

DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD don't mean the soundtrack was IN anything. They're lossless packed files of uncompressed, multi-channel LPCM (Linear Pulse Code Modulation) master tracks. The idea is to "unzip" the audio data and recreate the same LPCM track once more without throwing away data. If anything, the soundtracks were "in" LPCM to begin with.

Semantics, yes, but DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD are deliverable codecs. Might as well lump your 7.1 audio list into one pile.

When engineers work with Atmos and DTS MDA mixes they're also originally dealing with the LPCM domain. Those are also, in a way, deliverable formats, though with differences in their DAW software and implementation of object language.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 07-10-2014 at 05:11 PM.
post #798 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Is there enough space on Blu-ray for Dolby Atmos and also DTS-HD MA?
Why? What's would be the point?

Do you think that DTS-HD MA sounds better than TrueHD?

There would be no sense in doing so.
post #799 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Angry

Quote:
Semantics. Anyway he also said that he's "not clear on how they will integrate it into the package for the home.". I take it as "I don't know" and bow out of this "discussion".
It is not semantics. It seems like you just want to be right for the sake of being right.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #800 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Exclamation

Quote:

Unfortunately too many people don't grasp the meaning of "lossless". Not too long ago I had a discussion with a person who asked why there is no BD that comes with 5.1 LPCM, 5.1 TrueHD and 5.1 DTS-MA. He is adamant that all three of them sound different. When I mentioned that the only way the three of them can only sound different IF they each use different master or something is erroneous in the encoding process, he got angry and told me that I don't know what I'm talking about.

my home theatre

post #801 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Audiohuh...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
The flip side opinion wise.

http://youtu.be/OXLQ4mIwyAk
What was the point of Audioholics producing this 16 minute video?

To me it seems that they were only interested in expanding upon the negative possibilities of atmos products that do not yet exist.
tjenkins95 likes this.

Devo
post #802 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget that Audioholics is a "very good friend" of Emotiva...which XMC-1 will not have Dolby Atmos. Emotiva thus far have been dissing the potential of Dolby Atmos. You get my drift?

my home theatre

post #803 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
Don't forget that Audioholics is a "very good friend" of Emotiva...which XMC-1 will not have Dolby Atmos. Emotiva thus far have been dissing the potential of Dolby Atmos. You get my drift?
Seems pretty unprofessional to me. Hell, that video was downright childish in some instances.
David Susilo, Keenan and MED8 like this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #804 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Gravity was released in DTS-HD MA but Atmos in theaters. Let's assume it is reissued with Atmos - for those of us who are not Atmos ready, DTS-HD MA is no longer an audio option? Just trying to get a handle on all of this.
post #805 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Gravity was released in DTS-HD MA but Atmos in theaters. Let's assume it is reissued with Atmos - for those of us who are not Atmos ready, DTS-HD MA is no longer an audio option? Just trying to get a handle on all of this.
If they release it you will have the 7.1 TrueHD track as your option.

The masters for films not mixed in Atmos are straight LPCM. How it gets home (DTS-HD MA or TureHD) is inconsequential.
post #806 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Seems pretty unprofessional to me. Hell, that video was downright childish in some instances.
There is a lot of misinformation in it. And in Andrew Robinsons video as well.

The same can be said of the Emotiva Lounge....

They keep intimating how there really are no objects, how it really won't gain any kind of meaningful traction, how Dolby is withholding information because the system can't possibly be like the cinematic counterpart, how reflective sound can't possibly work.

On the last point I agree it doesn't work as well as direct firing speakers.

But I've heard it.

But at least Dolby invented something for those that can't install ceiling speakers. But they just want to mock it.

IMO it's the last time I'll visit their site and I've lost all respect for Gene as a reviewer. He prefers 2.0 anyways (he says so in the video) so why should I seek his opinion on MC.

Keith of Emotiva tried to opine on how object based mixing makes life so much easier for us know twirlers.

If Emotiva employees spent as much time finishing the XMC-1 as they did posting misguided information about Atmos maybe we'd be able to buy one this year.

Misinformed are both sites, and neither has heard even a demo.

Last edited by FilmMixer; 07-10-2014 at 07:16 PM.
post #807 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Not more "like we hear things" but more "like where sounds can come from". Multichannel does NOT try to recreate a real wave field (like wave field synthesis tries to). It's an extension to stereo with warts and all. It's largely based on an artifact of our hearing, also known as summing localization. It's highly fragile and the reason why stereo and even multichannel is really just a single seat solution.

Good read: Stanley P. Lipshitz, "Stereo Microphone Techniques - Are the Purists Wrong?", J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 716-744 (Sept. 1986)
Not if you do multi-channel right. While stereo may not have the biggest sweet spot, if it's a one seat solution, get different speakers.
Dan Hitchman likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #808 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

The same can be said of the Emotiva Lounge....

They keep intimating how there really are no objects, how it really won't gain any kind of meaningful traction, how Dolby is withholding information because the system can't possibly be like the cinematic counterpart, how reflective sound can't possibly work.

On the last point I agree it doesn't work as well as direct firing speakers.

But I've heard it.

But at least Dolby invented something for those that can't install ceiling speakers. But they just want to mock it.

IMO it's the last time I'll visit their site and I've lost all respect for Gene as a reviewer. He prefers 2.0 anyways (he says so in the video) so why should I seek his opinion on MC.

Keith of Emotiva tried to opine on how object based mixing makes life so much easier for us know twirlers.

If Emotiva employees spent as much time finishing the XMC-1 as they did posting misguided information about Atmos maybe we'd be able to buy one this year.

Misinformed are both sites, and neither has heard even a demo.
Andrew maned up and took his video down and issued an apology.
I have to tip my had to someone that admits when they were wrong.

Let's see if Audioholics does the same.....
post #809 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem is that he intentionally issued false information. Only when under attack he admit his wrongdoing. I can not believe that he is THAT clueless about Atmos. He didn't have internet to go to Dolby.com to learn the very basis of Atmos?

Didn't he said that XMC-1 will be the only pre-pro people need for the next 15 years?...yet he knows nothing about Atmos? He then made false claim about DTS UHD release date...the list goes on.

my home theatre

post #810 of 1715 Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That video has been taken down and an apology video has been put up instead:

Fair enough.
Dan Hitchman likes this.

Sanjay
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page