AVS Forum banner

The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) – Check out post 1 first

5M views 69K replies 3K participants last post by  GMil 
#1 · (Edited)
Last update: 02.04.2023

Official Dolby Atmos at home website

Dolby on Atmos for the home
Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup
Ceiling-firing speakers ("Atmos-enabled speakers")
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-enabled-speaker-technology.pdf
Speaker installation guidelines
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
If you're more the visual type of guy here's a good video explaining the basics of placing your Atmos speakers:

Insights from a recording and mixing engineer

Technical specification for studios wishing to employ a 7.1.4 home entertainment Dolby Atmos monitoring setup
Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment Studio
Certification Guide

Blog posts
Dolby Atmos: Coming soon to a living room near you - Lab Notes
Dolby Atmos for home theaters: FAQ - Lab Notes

Dolby Patent Application
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2014036085A1.html

Dolby on Atmos for movie theaters
Wayback Machine

Specifications for movie theaters
Wayback Machine

How Atmos content is created
Wayback Machine

How Atmos is encoded into TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus
https://professional.dolby.com/site...on/dolby-atmos/dolby_atmos_renderer_guide.pdf

avsforum.com Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet (at Google Docs, maintained by user kokishin)

Atmos test tone downloads (E-AC-3 audio in .mp4 container)
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/test-tones.html

Other Dolby trailer downloads

See less See more
#622 ·
Oh OK, I misconstrued your comments.

Have you heard Dirac or Trinnov?
Yeah sorry. :eek:

No I have not heard either of these though I am interested in hearing a full setup. To me they just sound like the 'latest greatest' in room correction until the next 'latest greatest' comes around.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like to think of them in a cynical way. A lot of people that I respect seem to think either of these are great. I just don't get it, myself. Though I've heard similar comments about Audyssey and such which I have not been very impressed with.

#623 ·
i asked here if these new AVRs take object based audio and creates discrete channels.
What do you mean by "create discrete channels"? Bass management creates a subwoofer output, but that's not a "discrete channel" since it is a combination of signals from the LFE and other channels. Likewise, objects have to be output from somewhere. Are you calling those outputs "discrete channels"?
for the most part I tend to prefer DTS-HD MA over Dolby TrueHD mixes
Well, that explains things.

#624 ·
What do you mean by "create discrete channels"? Bass management creates a subwoofer output, but that's not a "discrete channel" since it is a combination of signals from the LFE and other channels. Likewise, objects have to be output from somewhere. Are you calling those outputs "discrete channels"? Well, that explains things.
Has Dolby specified what type (direct radiators or BiPoles) will be preferred for the ceiling speakers? it seems to me that BiPoles might be a bit more forgiving with speaker placement, especially when there are two rows of seating.

#625 ·
#626 ·
Has Dolby specified what type (direct radiators or BiPoles) will be preferred for the ceiling speakers? it seems to me that BiPoles might be a bit more forgiving with speaker placement, especially when there are two rows of seating.
Dolby hasn't specified. If you can find direct radiators with wide enough dispersion to cover both rows, then that would work well (everybody hears overhead sounds without those sounds being sprayed on the side walls). If you can't find wide dispersion speakers that you like, then try bipoles, though they will spread height information in every direction and possibly soften directionality.

#627 ·
It may only explain that DTS has the lion's share of bluray titles currently?

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=159814

Quite a list and most are DTS so just by pure statistics my statement is true. ;)

By a factor of 6:1 BTW.

But we digress.
That just means you liked the mix for whatever movie it was that you were watching. Being either PCM, TrueHD or DTS-MA has no bearing on what you heard.

If all the movies you enjoyed were presented in DTS-MA is purely coincidence.

#628 ·
It may only explain that DTS has the lion's share of bluray titles currently?
No, that has to do with DTS authoring tools taking less time and effort than Dolby's. It's not like one lossless codec is somehow 'more identical' to the original than another lossless codec. The fact that you prefer one to the other explains your understanding of the technology and puts some of your comments in context.

#629 · (Edited)
Dolby hasn't specified. If you can find direct radiators with wide enough dispersion to cover both rows, then that would work well (everybody hears overhead sounds without those sounds being sprayed on the side walls). If you can't find wide dispersion speakers that you like, then try bipoles, though they will spread height information in every direction and possibly soften directionality.
Or use CD (controlled directivity) coaxials that do a better job of maintaining full freq response off-axis and allow more even coverage by proper orientation.

This would be by roughly pointing them at the opposite side of the listening area to put farther listeners on-axis, while nearer ones would not be blasted with high SPL by virtue of being off-axis.

This is similar to toeing in the L/R's and works with any direct radiator, but more effectively with ones that have CD characteristics.

#631 ·
No, that has to do with DTS authoring tools taking less time and effort than Dolby's. It's not like one lossless codec is somehow 'more identical' to the original than another lossless codec. The fact that you prefer one to the other explains your understanding of the technology and puts some of your comments in context.
You are correct. it is all in the mix.
Funny how many in bold on that list are Atmos releases in theaters but uses DTS for home release.
Well funny how the contracts works. Everyone gets a piece of the pie I guess.

...and you are correct. I'm a complete noob when it comes to this, so please pardon my ignorance and my silly comments.
I'll go back to lurking.

#633 ·
^^^ Agreed about the energy trading approach (cross toe-ing), whether using coaxials or otherwise.
Coaxials are particularly suited to surrounds because of their compactness and not needing the distance that 2-ways require for integration of woofer and tweeter wavefronts.

For anyone interested, look at pro audio models like B&C, BMS, etc., which have CD's (compression drivers this time) with horns blended into the woofer cone profile; IOW not the same as just concentrically mounting the tweeter.

#634 ·
DTS-UHD-Dolby Atmos receivers next year? or not.
I hope so, this year Atmos decoding and mixing replaces the prologic2z, DTS UHD will replace DTS Neox in 2015 thats the logic of evolution, Next year will be THE Year to replace my AVR!With finals specs of 4k and next gen UHD sound! This year is too risky to buy only with Atmos! If the future of bluray 4k will have DTS UHD like now it has DTS HD Master áudio, who buys this first ones will be not happy! Well this is for me that replaces an avr in every 4 to 7 years when comes new tecnology. Having the first dolby prologic processor, the first dolby digital/ DTS ES receiver/ the first dolby true hd/ DTS HD master áudio receiver, and hopping to have the first Dolby Atmos/DTS UHD receiver!!! I dont know what will hapend to Auro 3d in the home, its an all diferent tecnology, not object base like atmos and UHD, so diferent number of speaker and placements than the other two that have the same specs, so i think it will be not too comercial, will see... soon there will be light...!

#637 ·

This Klipsch SLX, without the stand oc, on the ceiling, horizontally about 8-10" down from the ceiling on the corners of a 7 foot square, cross-fired on the MLP, since I already have 4, xo 80 , awaiting mounting on security camera arms and ,of course, some hardware and playable content.

standing by . .

#638 ·
Unfortunately, in the current list of Atmos-enabled AVRs announced, they will not have any way of knowing where the speakers are. That is, they will not be measuring azimuth and elevation angles and do not have any way to input the info manually. You just have to put the speakers in the 'right' places, as we have always done.
How about Yamaha's 3D YPAO ?
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a3040_black_u/?mode=model
YPAO™ - R.S.C. with 3D, multipoint and angle measurement

#639 · (Edited)
Holding Pattern

my yammy 775WA stand-in while the onkyo 818 "maybe" gets repaired, from newegg about late april. ,
running LCR and Surrounds thru an Emotiva UPA 7 and 1 Submaximus sub off one channel of an Inuke6oooDSP. the rears and "2 presence run with the 775
The YPAO did an interesting set up, made my Klipsch F-3's"small" and an xo of 100 (changed that) and when the 3d kicks in, it is tough to find much to complain about except for lack of room treatment.
Does 5.1 music, as in the LOVE Beatles just fine, clean and complete.
It KNOWS where the speakers are wrt to using the mike for set up. at least the distances. it may know more, but it isn't talking about it . . .
In a previous life, there was a WAF factor that said the "right' locations didn't actually exist.
Fixed THAT!
"Right" would try to let each speakers be able to be heard almost independently of the others until content says otherwise, just need "enough" space so they 're not crowding each other but transition smoothly.

we can only hope . . .

#640 · (Edited)
Question regarding Dolby Atmos blu-ray source movies. Are any available now? If not, how does one know if the source disc contains object based metadata? Is there a symbol to let purchasers know that there is object based metadata in the soundtrack?

Take for example the movie Brave that was originally in mixed for Atmos and released in theaters. Its currently available on blu-ray disc with Dolby TrueHD soundtrack. Does the disc contain Atmos object based metadata such that if bit streamed from the blu-ray player to at Atmos equipped AVR, one can test the difference between standard channel mix and object audio?

Or does the customer have to "re-purchase" a new Atmos Brave blu-ray disc? I.e. be out of pocket twice?

If being an early adopter means having to pay again get Atmos object based audio source soundtracks on the disc, my enthusiasm for Atmos is starting to wane.