AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Liked: 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
In reply to Noah's post (#1222):

I believe Keith what he said. And I also believe in a bright future, for everyone; money no object for all.
Time will tell if my optimism and my readings are accurate enough...
I actually played it down so that I didn't come across as too "gushing". In reality I was more excited than comes across in my short report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
This highlights a very important and as yet unanswered question - how will non-Atmos soundtracks be processed and how effective will it be.

Anyone attending Atmos demo's, please ask if they can play non-Atmos material.
I may be invited to another demo soon. If I am, I will ask that specific question. I'd love to hear how that works. What would be great would be to hear a movie

1. In straight 5.1/7.1
2. Then in Atmos 5.1.2
3. Then in Atmos 5.1.4
4. Then in Atmos 7.1.4
5. Then upmixed to 7.14 etc.

I doubt if there would be time though. They try to pack as many people through the demo as they can, understandably. And, of course, the demo room for the HT side can only be, by definition, fairly small. I think they got it right with 6 seats, but you can see how long it takes to get 60 people through...
Old 07-17-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
This is sadly true. Which is why I say the consumer Atmos -- call it "Atmos Lite" -- is just another cheap gimmick to flog receiver sales. I'd predict that not even 90% of its sales will be to people who really know how to implement it correctly at home.

There will always be high-end users who will spare to expense to get it done really well. But I don't see those people buying $799 receivers. I also think there are ways they could be making those $799 receivers better, rather than cutting back on the watts per channel and cheapening on the available circuitry being used. You can build a 5.1 receiver far better for $799 than you could build an 11.2-channel receiver for that same price.
You forgot, speakers, cables, labor etc. for incremental benefit over 7.1 and its variations. It is a niche for those who want to have it and that is fine but overall and industry money grab IMO.
Marc Wielage likes this.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
You forgot, speakers, cables, labor etc. for incremental benefit over 7.1 and its variations. It is a niche for those who want to have it and that is fine but overall and industry money grab IMO.
I’d be interested to compare your experience with mine because mine couldn’t be described as 'incremental benefit'.

What kind of HT setup was it where you heard Atmos? Was it 7.1.4 or 5.1.2 or what? How many top speakers were in use - 2 or 4? Did they use physical speakers or just the Atmos-enabled speakers?
Old 07-17-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Happily, that is no longer a problem with proper use of 2-4 subwoofers, thanks to Welti and the rest of the Harman crew.
You are exactly right, but ... four subs, especially in a larger room can push many a budget too far, not to mention take up real estate or require very good in-wall subs. Of course, Todd's models are solely for a rectangular room. All bets are off on placement in odd-shaped or open floor plans. But sorting that out is part of the fun, huh?
Old 07-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I currently have my 4 surround speakers mounted just 5 inches below my 8 foot ceilings. I can't really lower them much because we have a walkway behind the seats and don't want people bumping into them.

Do you think the speaker height will have a detrimental effect on the Atmos experience?

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
I currently have my 4 surround speakers mounted just 5 inches below my 8 foot ceilings. I can't really lower them much because we have a walkway behind the seats and don't want people bumping into them.

Do you think the speaker height will have a detrimental effect on the Atmos experience?
It probably won't be quite as dramatic 3D-wise since there wouldn't be as much of a location differential between the wall surround and the ceiling surround "zones." They're all height speakers.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 07-17-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Lower them mechanically into position once everyone is seated? Would be sooo geeky!

Under construction: the Larch theater
Old 07-17-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Lower them mechanically into position once everyone is seated? Would be sooo geeky!
That could be a solution, though I don't know the OP's budget. Either that or manually when you want to use the theater. I'm sure there are solutions available to lower their surrounds into position.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Good review!

Did they demo Atmos UP-MIXING for standard 5.1 / 7.1 tracks?

Thanks!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 07-17-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
No, that was already covered.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Good review!

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
No, that was already covered.

???

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 07-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
That would be pretty slick! I don't think it's within my budget though, lol. My next purchase will be new speakers, planning to go with 8 JBL Pro Cinema 8320, 4 for surround and 4 for height. They are wedge shaped so maybe I can get away with them being a bit lower than the bookshelf speakers that I am currently using. Now I just have to convince my wife that we need to upgrade...

Old 07-17-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
Yes, but mostly for the height speakers behind you (in the surround field), since your front speakers are (hopefully) closer to ear level.

To compensate for the lack of difference in physical height, you can exploit azimuth and proximity. For example, if your sides & rears are at the typical ±90° and ±150° angles, respectively, then put your rear heights at an angle in between. If your sides & rears are mounted on the walls, then mount your rear heights on the ceiling, inward from the walls.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to do this for the front heights as well. This keeps the contributions of the rear heights unique compared to the surrounds mounted high up.
PoshFrosh likes this.

Sanjay
Old 07-17-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
That room is close to square, and the seat is in the middle of the room; the worst possible position for low frequency acoustic response.

That's not correct. The center of the room is no different than any other seating location with regards to low frequency response. People think this is the case because people publish papers of how nulls form and they typically pick a single frequency that evenly fits in the room dimensions to demonstrate the problem and the frequency they pick forms a null in the middle of the room. This is done for ease of explanation, not because there's anything special about the center of the room.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That would be pretty slick! I don't think it's within my budget though, lol. My next purchase will be new speakers, planning to go with 8 JBL Pro Cinema 8320, 4 for surround and 4 for height. They are wedge shaped so maybe I can get away with them being a bit lower than the bookshelf speakers that I am currently using. Now I just have to convince my wife that we need to upgrade...
What speakers will you be using in the front? JTR's? The JBL's you're thinking of purchasing seem to match well with the JTR Noesis speakers.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Good review!

Thanks!
There was no time. I may be attending another demo, and if so I will try to see if I can get a demo of the upmixing capabilities.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
???
Eight posts above yours this topic was most recently covered, and if you've been reading Keith's comments and subsequent discussion it was clear they didn't demo the upmixing.
kbarnes701 likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 07-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
What speakers will you be using in the front? JTR's? The JBL's you're thinking of purchasing seem to match well with the JTR Noesis speakers.
Most likely three JBL 3677s accross the front. I'm going to try three of the 8320s in the front first before I ceiling mount them and see how they sound. If I am satisfied I will just order some more of them, that way all speakers are matching. If I am not satisfied, I will go with the 3677s.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Keith,
Great review, I am really excited. Thank you for taking the time to put together a detailed review.
Hopefully you (or someone) can hear a demo with an actual retail Blu-ray. Hopefully the mixes we get that are created from the cinema versions are as spectacular as the demo you heard.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
That would be pretty slick! I don't think it's within my budget though, lol.
LEGO?

Under construction: the Larch theater
Old 07-17-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
That's not correct. The center of the room is no different than any other seating location with regards to low frequency response. People think this is the case because people publish papers of how nulls form and they typically pick a single frequency that evenly fits in the room dimensions to demonstrate the problem and the frequency they pick forms a null in the middle of the room. This is done for ease of explanation, not because there's anything special about the center of the room.
And some of us have actually participated in those demonstrations. Yes, a dramatic demonstration will make the concept very obvious, as you describe. But it's an issue of math. The middle can certainly be bad if the room proportions render a first harmonic node at a frequency that is strongly used in the media content you are using. In smaller rooms, that's pretty low, I'll grant you.

No offense, but my comment was meant as a conversational aside, not to start an off-topic debate or even discussion on this thread.

Last edited by Cam Man; 07-17-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
But it's an issue of math. The middle can certainly be bad if the room proportions render a first harmonic node at a frequency that is strongly used in the media content you are using.

Yes, but that's equally true for every seating location. Nothing specific to the middle of the room.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post
From Dolby's blog

"What if I build a Dolby Atmos system but want to play content that isn’t in Dolby Atmos?

A Dolby Atmos home theater can play any stereo, 5.1, or 7.1 content. You can choose to have our technology automatically adapt that channel-based signal to use the full capabilities of your new system, including your overhead speakers, ensuring that you hear realistic and immersive sound."

http://blog.dolby.com/2014/06/dolby-...ions-answered/

It doesn't say it will be equivellent but...

I'm pretty sure this was posted earlier in the thread but I'm too lazy to confirm.
Back to Atmos -- JD and I had it confirmed today that the upcoming Atmos-capable D&M models WILL include Atmos upmixing.

We were told that upmixing is part of the Atmos platform, so my assumption is the same will be true for models from other brands as well.
ss9001, kbarnes701 and steveting99 like this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 07-17-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
The center of the room is no different than any other seating location with regards to low frequency response.
The centre of any room dimension is where low frequency response variations are greatest (modes are either peaking or nulling). By comparison, the 1/3 divisions of room dimensions are where frequency response variations are smallest (no nulls, much smaller peaks & dips). So the centre of the room is very different from other seating locations.

Sanjay
Old 07-17-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness77 View Post
Keith,
Great review, I am really excited. Thank you for taking the time to put together a detailed review.
Hopefully you (or someone) can hear a demo with an actual retail Blu-ray. Hopefully the mixes we get that are created from the cinema versions are as spectacular as the demo you heard.
This was one of the questions someone asked. The answer was that the demo material we heard was "identical" to a commercial Bluray release of the same content. I guess it would be as it is just a TrueHD bitstream to the decoder.

Thanks for the comment on the review BTW.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
This was one of the questions someone asked. The answer was that the demo material we heard was "identical" to a commercial Bluray release of the same content. I guess it would be as it is just a TrueHD bitstream to the decoder.

If "identical", then it would have no Atmos content in the mix?

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.

avsforum Members Atmos Configuration Spreadsheet
Old 07-17-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
??? A TrueHD bitstream of Atmos content will be the sxame if it comes off a BD disc via BD player or off a laptop bitstreaming it. Not sure what you mean.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
??? A TrueHD bitstream of Atmos content will be the sxame if it comes off a BD disc via BD player or off a laptop bitstreaming it. Not sure what you mean.
He probably thought you were talking about a BD disk that you can currently purchase, when you were actually talking about the new ones that have not yet been released.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Quote:
I thought there was no Atmos content currently available on BD?

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.

avsforum Members Atmos Configuration Spreadsheet