The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4844Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #121 of 16083 Old 06-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,402
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post
It will be hard to start the 30 day in-home trial of some new Dolby Atmos & DTS-UHD capable AVR until all promised firmware for both technologies are available to download . . . and you have a handful of BDs authored in both Dolby Atmos and DTS-UHD with which to test the AVR's new features!
_
Preach it, my man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Then, wait?
*sigh*

...yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoJo View Post
i was fighting my urge to buy a new a3030 , but now that yammy announced the a3040 for the same price i just can't resist.. at first my thoughts where that the 3030 will be cheaper when the 3040 is released, but i just can't live with the idea that i have to do without all new technology like hdmi2.0 and atmos later in fall. i only have a dts and dd avr now, so i'm sure it will be a lot of avance on what i have now. the second it comes available i'm most surely gonna buy the a3040 and some klipsches.
Been itching for the 3030 all year. It's easier to resist but now the 3040? Ugh.

Must... wait... for .... content.

And then there's DTS. G'damnit!

Must... hold.... out.


My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 16083 Old 06-26-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DaJoJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,098
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Preach it, my man!
*sigh*
...yes.
Been itching for the 3030 all year. It's easier to resist but now the 3040? Ugh.
Must... wait... for .... content.
And then there's DTS. G'damnit!
Must... hold.... out.
lol dude !
there is allready content for atmos as well as for auro-3D albeit not that much though, but there will be more by the end of the year. none of which are going to stop me from buying a a3040 with new hdmi2.0 60fps spec and atmos incorporated with new firmware comming in the fall. the reason for atmos not being implemented directly is probably related to certification and licences needed and not so much by the capability to do so. in the meanwhile it does neo:x and dolby IIz anyways and im sure for atmos it will have some dsp stuff to play with that too. yammies dsp chips are very capable of doing so with probably even processing power to spare.

Klipsch fronts 2xRF-82-II 150W 33Hz-24KHz
center RC-64-II 200W 59Hz-24KHz
sides 2xRS-62-II 150W 50Hz-24KHz
rears 2xRB-81-II 150W 44Hz-24KHz
Yamaha RX-A3040, YST-SW800 Sub 1000W RMS 6 Ohm 18-170 hz / SVS PB13-Ultra 1000W 14-200hz
Audioquest 1.6mm wire / Samsung UE-ES8000S TV+evo 2014 / Sony Playstation 3/ AC PlayonHD2
DaJoJo is offline  
post #123 of 16083 Old 06-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,402
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
No. There is no Atmos consumer content. That's what I'm talking about.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is online now  
post #124 of 16083 Old 06-26-2014, 10:28 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,050
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 376
I can imagine buying a Dolby Atmos ready with out DTS UHD where is DTS
wse is offline  
post #125 of 16083 Old 06-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,402
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Taking their sweet ass time.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is online now  
post #126 of 16083 Old 06-26-2014, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,292
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Taking their sweet ass time.
Like I mentioned before, I think DTS wanted Dolby to tip their hand first. Then they can make a counter offer, so to speak. Their rivalry is not over yet.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #127 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 12:06 AM
Senior Member
 
esappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Poulsbo, Washington
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 70
So this isn't consumer Atmos, but here is an article on a Sony theater that just made some upgrades including Atmos and Auro 3D and how they can convert one into the other. I thought it was interesting and others might like it too. Maybe whet your appetites a little more

http://m.prosoundnetwork.com/article...ve-sound/17940

It's cool if you want to wait awhile before deciding if Atmos is a worthy upgrade for you, but I haven't been this excited in quite a while about home theater and I am soooo ready to upgrade my old (but still quite good) Denon AVR-3808ci that I will board this train as soon as I have the cash to buy in. Now its just a matter of deciding on which model I want. Besides, I am actually having fun with this topic and I don't know why some people are so bent out of shape but lighten up about it and enjoy the ride.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
esappy is offline  
post #128 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 12:39 AM
Senior Member
 
esappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Poulsbo, Washington
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Just finished reading the press release on the Yamaha receivers and I gotta say I am intrigued by this statement: "YPAO™ - R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) with 3D, multipoint and angle measurement corrects for imperfect room conditions and non-standard speaker placement for the best sounding results."

Could this mean that only Yamaha will be able to truly "know" your speakers location and make Atmos more effective? Inquiring minds want to know.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
esappy is offline  
post #129 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 12:56 AM
Senior Member
 
esappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Poulsbo, Washington
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Well this didn't take long

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...60st_speakers/

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
esappy is offline  
post #130 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 01:20 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member
 
cwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nsw australia
Posts: 1,229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post
Just finished reading the press release on the Yamaha receivers and I gotta say I am intrigued by this statement: "YPAO™ - R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) with 3D, multipoint and angle measurement corrects for imperfect room conditions and non-standard speaker placement for the best sounding results."

Could this mean that only Yamaha will be able to truly "know" your speakers location and make Atmos more effective? Inquiring minds want to know.
I would be more convinced if that statement was linked to dolby atmos and not ypao somehow
This sounds more like proper rendering should

Quote:
DTS-UHD Benefits:
Environmentally compensated audio rendering allows consumers to hear audio directionality and dimensionality more precise than ever before possible
Object control enables consumers to interact with key objects within the audio mix and adjust them to preference
Customized rendering designed for arbitrary speaker layouts enables consumers to adapt their AV system to their own home environment rather than pre-determined speaker layouts
http://www.dts.com/corporate/press-r...nics-show.aspx

Last edited by cwt; 06-27-2014 at 03:42 AM.
cwt is offline  
post #131 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 01:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 19,973
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post
Could this mean that only Yamaha will be able to truly "know" your speakers location and make Atmos more effective?
It will know where your speakers are (current Yamaha models already do this), but the info won't be used for Atmos rendering.
nathan_h likes this.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #132 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 01:27 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 46,839
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post
Just finished reading the press release on the Yamaha receivers and I gotta say I am intrigued by this statement: "YPAO™ - R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) with 3D, multipoint and angle measurement corrects for imperfect room conditions and non-standard speaker placement for the best sounding results."

Could this mean that only Yamaha will be able to truly "know" your speakers location and make Atmos more effective? Inquiring minds want to know.
Nope. It will only be used for the YPAO EQ. None of the mfr's will be using angle measurement in the Atmos implementation.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST daily
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #133 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 04:25 AM
Member
 
Craig Mecak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoJo View Post
lol dude !
there is allready content for atmos as well as for auro-3D albeit not that much though, but there will be more by the end of the year. none of which are going to stop me from buying a a3040 with new hdmi2.0 60fps spec and atmos incorporated with new firmware comming in the fall. the reason for atmos not being implemented directly is probably related to certification and licences needed and not so much by the capability to do so. in the meanwhile it does neo:x and dolby IIz anyways and im sure for atmos it will have some dsp stuff to play with that too. yammies dsp chips are very capable of doing so with probably even processing power to spare.
Where does it say anywhere that the a3040 will do Dolby PLIIz or Neo:X?

No Yamaha model currently does these surround modes.
Craig Mecak is online now  
post #134 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,606
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 435
It will be interesting to see real world HT implementation and practical use of this stuff. My first concern would be availability of content over the next year or two after these receivers are released in Q4. I will not be an early adopter, but it sure will be fun to read impressions from those who are. I'll wait for the "rev 2" receivers and expanded content.

Last edited by Gorilla83; 06-27-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Gorilla83 is offline  
post #135 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 06:57 AM
Newbie
 
HitchcockBirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cost issues aside, is it a smart idea to purchase the RS20i for my DTS needs, like Neo X and Aura 3D, and the Marantz 8802 for my Dolby needs, like IIz and Atmos?

I'm aware that the RS20i is a sound processor and not a receiver, but is it possible I could connect that to the 8802?
HitchcockBirds is offline  
post #136 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 AM
Member
 
bmaiers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All -


I'm in the wiring phase of my theater and am looking for ideas/recommendations as to how to wire for Atmos. So far, this is the best piece of info I found:


http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...e-theaters/#/7


I am wired now for traditional 7.2 and my room is the typical "rectangle" (20x40) with 9' ceilings. I will happily wire for more... I have 3 weeks before the drywall goes up!


I was going to pull cable for the 4 ceiling speakers - which I believe makes my system 7.2.4. Is this correct?


I see no mention on the website linked above in my post for "height" speakers. What is the general consensus on those?


If anybody has other recommend "general" speaker layouts, I'd appreciate the info. All I can seem to find is info pertaining to commercial theaters.
bmaiers is offline  
post #137 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 2,662
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post
Just finished reading the press release on the Yamaha receivers and I gotta say I am intrigued by this statement: "YPAO™ - R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) with 3D, multipoint and angle measurement corrects for imperfect room conditions and non-standard speaker placement for the best sounding results."

Could this mean that only Yamaha will be able to truly "know" your speakers location and make Atmos more effective? Inquiring minds want to know.
Edit. Posted too quick before read follow up to this. Oops! Sounded good for a minute.
audiovideoholic is offline  
post #138 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
J_P_A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama
Posts: 4,177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 270
My first thought after the ATMOS announcement was the adoption of this would be abysmal. The more I think about it, however, the more I think having overhead speakers is going to "sound" interesting, even to people that don't know much about it.

I know several people that bought into 5.1 not really knowing what to expect. They just liked the idea of having speakers around them. 7.1 wasn't interesting because it was more of the same. Now we're talking about speakers overhead, and I think that's going to drive interest in a larger group of people than 7.1 did, even if this group doesn't really know what they're getting into. You know, the same group that puts all the surround speakers on top of their TV

I can already hear the conversations at BB about how awesome the plane flyover will sound when it goes over your head instead of just beside you. Whether or not the mixers can actually make it sound better is irrelevant. It's the idea that I think people may latch onto.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
J_P_A is offline  
post #139 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,292
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaiers View Post
Hello All -


I'm in the wiring phase of my theater and am looking for ideas/recommendations as to how to wire for Atmos. So far, this is the best piece of info I found:


http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...e-theaters/#/7


I am wired now for traditional 7.2 and my room is the typical "rectangle" (20x40) with 9' ceilings. I will happily wire for more... I have 3 weeks before the drywall goes up!


I was going to pull cable for the 4 ceiling speakers - which I believe makes my system 7.2.4. Is this correct?


I see no mention on the website linked above in my post for "height" speakers. What is the general consensus on those?


If anybody has other recommend "general" speaker layouts, I'd appreciate the info. All I can seem to find is info pertaining to commercial theaters.

I would delay that drywall job a little bit. There is no information on optimal speaker placement yet for home Atmos or even DTS-UHD. It's all just speculation and generic pictures to go off right now. Though, I would also wire for front wide side surrounds while you're at it.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #140 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,292
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
My first thought after the ATMOS announcement was the adoption of this would be abysmal. The more I think about it, however, the more I think having overhead speakers is going to "sound" interesting, even to people that don't know much about it.

I know several people that bought into 5.1 not really knowing what to expect. They just liked the idea of having speakers around them. 7.1 wasn't interesting because it was more of the same. Now we're talking about speakers overhead, and I think that's going to drive interest in a larger group of people than 7.1 did, even if this group doesn't really know what they're getting into. You know, the same group that puts all the surround speakers on top of their TV

I can already hear the conversations at BB about how awesome the plane flyover will sound when it goes over your head instead of just beside you. Whether or not the mixers can actually make it sound better is irrelevant. It's the idea that I think people may latch onto.
I, on the other hand, would like it to be a marked improvement in the surround experience. No may. It will... or else!!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #141 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
J_P_A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama
Posts: 4,177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
I, on the other hand, would like it to be a marked improvement in the surround experience. No may. It will... or else!!
I'm hoping for the best as well. We'll just have to wait and see. That said, it occurred to me that ATMOS may see better adoption than I first expected just due to the idea of having these overhead effects. We'll see

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
J_P_A is offline  
post #142 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
esappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Poulsbo, Washington
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
I would delay that drywall job a little bit. There is no information on optimal speaker placement yet for home Atmos or even DTS-UHD. It's all just speculation and generic pictures to go off right now. Though, I would also wire for front wide side surrounds while you're at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaiers View Post
Hello All -


I'm in the wiring phase of my theater and am looking for ideas/recommendations as to how to wire for Atmos. So far, this is the best piece of info I found:


http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...e-theaters/#/7


I am wired now for traditional 7.2 and my room is the typical "rectangle" (20x40) with 9' ceilings. I will happily wire for more... I have 3 weeks before the drywall goes up!


I was going to pull cable for the 4 ceiling speakers - which I believe makes my system 7.2.4. Is this correct?


I see no mention on the website linked above in my post for "height" speakers. What is the general consensus on those?


If anybody has other recommend "general" speaker layouts, I'd appreciate the info. All I can seem to find is info pertaining to commercial theaters.
+1. If possible, hold off on the drywalling. Current product announcements have been maxing out with 4 in ceiling speakers but nobody knows if that is just a first gen limitation or not. We also dont know what positions are recommended yet for in ceiling speakers other than if doing all 4, you will have two in front and two in back of the MLP. Too many unknowns at this point for any meaningful advice to be given. But if you cant delay the drywalling then make sure you put extra speaker cable up there and set yourself up now to be able to fish the cable where you need it more easily. Good luck and I'm envious. I'm not quite there yet but hope to be soon with the same layout and about the same size room.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
esappy is offline  
post #143 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Member
 
bmaiers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
I would delay that drywall job a little bit. There is no information on optimal speaker placement yet for home Atmos or even DTS-UHD. It's all just speculation and generic pictures to go off right now. Though, I would also wire for front wide side surrounds while you're at it.


Unfortunately, I have a signed contract with the contractor.... I cannot delay the drywall. I'm spending every night in the basement pulling cables into walls he built just that day. I'm having a hard time keeping up as it is!!!


I guess I will wire for 4 speakers in the ceiling and two speakers high above the front left and right channels. I've already wired for 4 subs - one in each corner of the room.


The nature of the room will make it VERY hard to fish cables after the fact, so I guess I am using what little info is available to me today and hope it covers MOST of what I MIGHT need in the future. Thanks to all for the input!

Last edited by bmaiers; 06-27-2014 at 11:45 AM.
bmaiers is offline  
post #144 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 7,730
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 521
I trust you're aware that subs sound better (produce the most accurate sound) when they're in the middle of a wall or at a 1/4 point. When they're in a corner the frequencies which correspond to the dimensions of the room get the most energy. Subs placed there sound louder but not better.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #145 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,292
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaiers View Post
Unfortunately, I have a signed contract with the contractor.... I cannot delay the drywall. I'm spending every night in the basement pulling cables into walls he built just that day. I'm having a hard time keeping up as it is!!!


I guess I will wire for 4 speakers in the ceiling and two speakers high above the front left and right channels. I've already wired for 4 subs - one in each corner of the room.


The nature of the room will make it VERY hard to fish cables after the fact, so I guess I am using what little info is available to me today and hope it covers MOST of what I MIGHT need in the future.
I would also wire for the front wide side surrounds (probably more useful than height speakers just above the left/right speakers). I wouldn't worry about the extra screen speakers (green) unless you have a really BIG front projection screen. But do look at the additions to the standard 7.1 spread: front wides (dark purple) and the top layer (lavender). That should cover the basics.


Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 06-27-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #146 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,292
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
I trust you're aware that subs sound better (produce the most accurate sound) when they're in the middle of a wall or at a 1/4 point. When they're in a corner the frequencies which correspond to the dimensions of the room get the most energy. Subs placed there sound louder but not better.
+1

Bass loading in corners is bad. It sets you up for bloated, boomy bass. You normally want bass traps in the corners of the room where walls and walls/ceilings intersect.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #147 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Member
 
bmaiers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
I would also wire for the front wide side surrounds. I wouldn't worry about the extra screen speakers (green) unless you have a really BIG front projection screen. But do look at the additions to the standard 7.1 spread: front wides (dark purple) and the top layer (lavender). That should cover the basics.



This is fantastic! Thank you!


So if I'm reading this correctly, I will place the "front wide" (dark purple) speakers on the left/right walls toward the front of my room - in front of my first row of seating?
bmaiers is offline  
post #148 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
ahmedreda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 44
This is a rough layout of my room. Does the blue circles location sound about right or the .4 ceiling speakers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	layout.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	138417  
ahmedreda is offline  
post #149 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,292
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaiers View Post
This is fantastic! Thank you!


So if I'm reading this correctly, I will place the "front wide" (dark purple) speakers on the left/right walls toward the front of my room - in front of my first row of seating?
Correct. They're designed to fill in the gap between the screen speakers and the traditional surround locations. They're angled towards the listening sweet spot in the room.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #150 of 16083 Old 06-27-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,581
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaiers View Post
This is fantastic! Thank you!


So if I'm reading this correctly, I will place the "front wide" (dark purple) speakers on the left/right walls toward the front of my room - in front of my first row of seating?
Maybe. That diagram is for movie theaters. We don't know how theater mixes will be packaged for Atmos at home and what speaker locations are best.

Specific speaker setup recommendations for theaters can be found in http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/A...ifications.pdf

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off