4676Likes

Old 07-31-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Thanks nice read

My main setup PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers 2 Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos Bose 161 top front on Ceiling Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2139 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Thumbs up Dolby Atmos Trailer Clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Interesting, these clips sound really good on my computer speakers (HK Soundsticks) and give lateral imaging way outside them; one sound seemed to come directly from my side.
From my PC speakers too, as well from my laptop (internal/external speakers) with ACID Music Studio 9.0 or Sound Forge Audio Studio.
And I can manually mix the audio to my heart contentment. ...Just the way young pro audio lovers do.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Call me an optimist - key question is how Atmos will do up mixing are current formats. Hopefully someone attending a demo can ask to hear that. I believe FilmMixer has also send that Dolby has stated that up mixing performs well. It would be great to not be tempted to replace favorites like Private Ryan assuming a new Atmos mix was released for that film.
Replacing the audio soundtrack mix of SPR? ...No, but improving upon it with Dolby Atmos YES.
...Audio -> Dolby TrueHD: English 7.1 - Remastered in Dolby Atmos elevated surround sound.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Call me an optimist - key question is how Atmos will do up mixing are current formats. Hopefully someone attending a demo can ask to hear that. I believe FilmMixer has also send that Dolby has stated that up mixing performs well. It would be great to not be tempted to replace favorites like Private Ryan assuming a new Atmos mix was released for that film.

And you'll face a somewhat different set of decision issues if Saving Private Ryan's existing DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack is "replaced" on BD only by a remixed DTS-UHD soundtrack...?!
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Yes - decision would be picking the correct lottery numbers. I have 800 blu-rays besides some HD-DVDs. There are some great mixes out there without the coming audio enhancements. Damn this hobby
Old 07-31-2014, 11:04 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Yes - decision would be picking the correct lottery numbers. I have 800 blu-rays besides some HD-DVDs. There are some great mixes out there without the coming audio enhancements. Damn this hobby
I only have 750 Blu Rays and 400 DVDs so I guess I might be triple dipping as well, fortunately most of the movies were bought for less that $9.99 each except for Disney classics!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Yuu guys are quite cheap.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 2161
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Interesting, these clips sound really good on my computer speakers (HK Soundsticks) and give lateral imaging way outside them; one sound seemed to come directly from my side.
Same here - especially noticeable on "Amaze".
Old 08-01-2014, 03:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Yes, but first you need to find that post ID number, right?
Well yes, but if you are linking someone to a post, I am assuming you must know where the post is The unique ID is the last number in that post's url.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I asked this at the London demo: they said it worked "very well" but they had no actual demo available. I will ask again at the Dolby demo I am attending on 13th August and will report back. I too am very interested in "Dolby Surround" (as they are calling it) for the obvious reason that, like many people, I have over 1,500 movies that are not Atmos mixes
Old 08-01-2014, 04:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
As I mentioned to Scott, it may be that Sony and Warner Brothers might not be playing ball this time around... at least for initial releases. Two of their summer Atmos mixed blockbusters have had their specs published already and they happen to list DTS Master Audio. On Spider-Man 2, Sony pulled a Gravity and released it with only a 5.1 track.

What kind of ---- are some of these guys pulling?
Current Bluray releases are not Atmos Blurays, for obvious reasons, so they will have DTS tracks if that is the particular studio's usual codec. I don't think you can draw any conclusions from what Sony and/or Warner are releasing pre-Atmos. What else could they do? If they want to release the Bluray right now, they can't release it as an Atmos Bluray, so they release it in their normal way. Seems reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
The only other thing I can think of is that some may be intending to release separate, limited or "special" edition Dolby Atmos discs apart from their normal lineup. :shrugs:
Well yes... movies released theatrically this summer with Atmos mixes, and since released on Bluray -- eg Noah -- have DTS mixes. When Atmos arrives this Autumn, they will be released as Atmos Blurays. Future movies mixed in Atmos will be released as Atmos Blurays.

You really are a "glass is half empty" kinda guy, Dan LOL
Old 08-01-2014, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I asked this at the London demo: they said it worked "very well" but they had no actual demo available. I will ask again at the Dolby demo I am attending on 13th August and will report back.
Bring something with you they could play ?

Under construction: the Larch theater
Old 08-01-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This is weird. There is a page 91 to this thread - I can see it in the page menu bar thing. But I can't actually get to it - when I click the page number for 91 it takes me to the previous page every time. Which means I can't actually see this post as it is on another page that I can't reach!

EDIT - and now it's back! Clicked a link from an email notification and it brought me to p91. Bug?

Last edited by kbarnes701; 08-01-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Bring something with you they could play ?
I'll take something, but I doubt they will want to go off message at a presentation like this (assuming they weren't going to demo upmixing anyway I mean).
Old 08-01-2014, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'll take something, but I doubt they will want to go off message at a presentation like this (assuming they weren't going to demo upmixing anyway I mean).
One could hope they might consider doing it once the planned demo was completed.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
One could hope they might consider doing it once the planned demo was completed.
They do a whole day of demos in two hour slots, so there is no time after one's allotted slot has ended as they need to move on to the next group of attendees.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They do a whole day of demos in two hour slots, so there is no time after one's allotted slot has ended as they need to move on to the next group of attendees.
Pick the last group for the day then?

Old 08-01-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Old 08-01-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not my choice.
Drat.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
You found Keith's post but the better reference is the more detailed discussion a few pages earlier where PoshFrosh and myself were analyzing the Denon model...

...So in short I think the paranoia is unfounded. If you have an existing pair of Front Height speakers and you don't want to relocate them, and just want to add a pair of in-ceilings and then use a x.x.4 Atmos layout, you will be fine.

Just to follow up on my question as to whether existing Front Heights can be used with Atmos I received the following response from Denon support....

"Specifically for Atmos these channels cannot be used, however with our AV receivers they are usually capable of providing extra Dolby PLII processing for other channels aside from the core audio channels being sent to the receiver.

While these channels would not be Atmos channels as such they would be getting audio processed to them while Atmos is being decoded providing the channels are enabled in the speaker configuration menu. You would also need to select the relevant option from the list of sound modes when the receiver starts to decode Atmos for the first time."

My paranoia is playing up again...
Old 08-01-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

*rummaging for the Denon to English dictionary*
chi_guy50 likes this.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 362
^
My take: "The Atmos decoder can't utilize speakers defined as Front Heights but the user can send the decoded/rendered Atmos channels through PLII for upmixing."

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Old 08-01-2014, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
I only have 750 Blu Rays and 400 DVDs so I guess I might be triple dipping as well, fortunately most of the movies were bought for less that $9.99 each except for Disney classics!!!

Well I only have 1145 blu-rays and 283 dvds but whose counting!

Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 5030 UB
Denon AVR-X5200W
Blu-Ray: Oppo 103
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61
Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
^
My take: "The Atmos decoder can't utilize speakers defined as Front Heights but the user can send the decoded/rendered Atmos channels through PLII for upmixing."
But not what it says in the Denon user manual.

And PLII has gone, BTW. It's been replaced with "Dolby Surround".
PoshFrosh likes this.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davefromuk View Post
Just to follow up on my question as to whether existing Front Heights can be used with Atmos I received the following response from Denon support....

"Specifically for Atmos these channels cannot be used, however with our AV receivers they are usually capable of providing extra Dolby PLII processing for other channels aside from the core audio channels being sent to the receiver.

While these channels would not be Atmos channels as such they would be getting audio processed to them while Atmos is being decoded providing the channels are enabled in the speaker configuration menu. You would also need to select the relevant option from the list of sound modes when the receiver starts to decode Atmos for the first time."

My paranoia is playing up again...
Quote:
*rummaging for the Denon to English dictionary*
Yes, we need batpig's authoritative translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
^
That parsing would make sense to me, except for three factors:

(1) As we all know by now, there will be no PLII on these models; it has been supplanted by Dolby Surround. This may be a matter of simple nomenclature, but it implies to me a lack of clear analysis on the part of the Denon support rep.

(2) The (European model) X5200W manual (p. 287) shows that Dolby Atmos (as opposed to the Dolby Surround up-mixing process) can utilize all speakers. So there is at least some measure of inconsistency between the manual and the support rep's reply.

(3) One would think that there would be at least a footnote included with the Height Layout configuration diagrams (e.g., p. 212 of the manual) to advise the user that selecting one of the pairings that includes heights in lieu of tops or Dolby speakers will impact on the true Atmos rendering.
PoshFrosh likes this.

Last edited by chi_guy50; 08-01-2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Removed misstatement regarding front wides
Old 08-01-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
That parsing would make sense to me, except for three factors:

(1) As we all know by now, there will be no PLII on these models; it has been supplanted by Dolby Surround. This may be a matter of simple nomenclature, but it implies to me a lack of clear analysis on the part of the Denon support rep.

(2) The (European model) X5200W manual (p. 287) shows that Dolby Atmos (as opposed to the Dolby Surround up-mixing process) can utilize all speakers except for front wides. So there is at least some measure of inconsistency between the manual and the support rep's reply.

(3) One would think that there would be at least a footnote included with the Height Layout configuration diagrams (e.g., p. 212 of the manual) to advise the user that selecting one of the pairings that includes heights in lieu of tops or Dolby speakers will impact on the true Atmos rending.
Quite right. I just tried a translation, I didn't say the Denon support rep knows what he's talking about. I could show you emails...

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Old 08-01-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, we need batpig's authoritative translation.
It wouldn’t be the first time that manufacturer support guys have lacked basic understanding of the products they are meant to support. Until proven otherwise, I'd trust batpig more than some guy at Denon reading answers he doesn't understand off a screen.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
It wouldn’t be the first time that manufacturer support guys have lacked basic understanding of the products they are meant to support. Until proven otherwise, I'd trust batpig more than some guy at Denon reading answers he doesn't understand off a screen.

I should add they also prefixed it with:
"As we haven't had a chance to physically get our hands on one yet we had to check this with our engineers, i apologise for any delay."
Old 08-01-2014, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
I might trust "some guy at Denon" (although still not as well as batpig ), but the reply undoubtedly came from Denon's contract support team who have a well-documented, uh, well, let's say "spotty" record for accuracy.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davefromuk View Post
I should add they also prefixed it with:
"As we haven't had a chance to physically get our hands on one yet we had to check this with our engineers, i apologise for any delay."
Ah - engineers. Right....

Quote:
I might trust "some guy at Denon" (although still not as well as batpig ), but the reply undoubtedly came from Denon's contract support team who have a well-documented, uh, well, let's say "spotty" record for accuracy.
Not to mention the response was in a form of English that isn't all that well-known to me, and mentioned a technology that has been replaced ...

I wonder how they'd explain what the user manual says...