The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) - Page 94 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 92  93  94 95  96  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version)
asarose247's Avatar asarose247 04:09 PM 08-01-2014
WTF: Works Terrifically Fine

asarose247's Avatar asarose247 04:11 PM 08-01-2014
Maybe this will help explain...

thank you, I can "see" that.

who knew?
erwinfrombelgium's Avatar erwinfrombelgium 05:06 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny44 View Post
Do the side or rear surrounds in an existing setup need to be re-positioned (angle/Height)
to add atmos 7.1.2 or 7.1.4?

Side surrounds at 110, 5'
Rear surrounds at 140, 5'
Ceiling height 7'11"

Thanks
When Rear Surrounds are present (@ 140° in your case), Side Surrounds can be as far forward as 70°...

Click image for larger version

Name:	990 7.2.4 Atmos.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	192169

But in se, this has nothing to do with Atmos. But this way, you don't have to bother with Wides in a Atmos setup with 11 channels.
Attached:
PeterTHX's Avatar PeterTHX 05:19 PM 08-01-2014
So...nobody else thinks Malificent might be Disney's Atmos launch title?
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 05:25 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post
When Rear Surrounds are present (@ 140° in your case), Side Surrounds can be as far forward as 70°...

Attachment 192169

But in se, this has nothing to do with Atmos. But this way, you don't have to bother with Wides in a Atmos setup with 11 channels.

This.

The smart move (if avoiding use of wides) is simply to place the surrounds at a point that is directly in the middle of the distance between your front left and right and rear left and right.

Also see Roger Dressler's home cinema as the proper way to do 7.1.4 audio. My hero.
esappy's Avatar esappy 06:07 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Because the 'we know nothing about consumer Atmos releases' default position doesn't make sense. Dolby has already said when titles will be available (this fall), how they will be delivered (BD and streaming) and even which codecs will be used (TrueHD and DD+).

As for titles, the most obvious ones will be from the list of Atmos mixes done during the last couple years. Folks on the forum that have attended demos (including CE Week in NY) have already mentioned a few titles. The Editors' Guild monthly meeting in March mention a couple of catalogue titles.

But if you want to convince yourself that none of those titles will show up with Atmos mixes on BD, then I won't try to convince you otherwise. But I can't pretend to understand your point of view. Even without 100% confirmation, there is a likely list of titles.
I think what Scott just wants to hear is something like a press release from New Line Cinema stating that on November 11, 2014 The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition will be presented in exciting Dolby ATMOS at home! "I am fire. I AM DEATH!"

I'm with you Scott, "coming this fall" just isn't good enough!
esappy's Avatar esappy 06:30 PM 08-01-2014
Here is a fun article to help fuel the conspiracy theory fires:

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Wh...ht-Think.shtml
sdurani's Avatar sdurani 06:30 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but don't understand the entitlement mentality. No one here is owed information that the studios and Dolby aren't ready to divulge. In the mean time, let's not pretend that lack of information equates to a lack of titles coming.
NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky 06:32 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
WTF ; Where's The Future -> DA: Dolby Atmos
What's That Forum ... ODA ... Official Dolby Atmos thread (HTV - Home Theater Version)
sdurani's Avatar sdurani 06:37 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Here is a fun article to help fuel the conspiracy theory fires:

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Wh...ht-Think.shtml
What conspiracy theory? Did you read the article? It's a wish list of Atmos movies the author wants to see on Blu-ray. Nothing more.
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 06:37 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
I think what Scott just wants to hear is something like a press release from New Line Cinema stating that on November 11, 2014 The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition will be presented in exciting Dolby ATMOS at home! "I am fire. I AM DEATH!"

Yes, exactly.

Quote:
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but don't understand the entitlement mentality. No one here is owed information that the studios and Dolby aren't ready to divulge. In the mean time, let's not pretend that lack of information equates to a lack of titles coming.
Quite right, my friend.

Though I don't feel that I am "entitled" at all but it's just what I'd like to hear.

I've got a fever...
And the only prescription...
Is Atmos titles on Blu-ray officially announced.

"I GOTTA have Dolby Atmos, baby!"

esappy's Avatar esappy 06:37 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
It's all in fun, dude. All in fun.
sdurani's Avatar sdurani 06:38 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
It's all in fun, dude. All in fun.
So was my reply, dude.
esappy's Avatar esappy 06:45 PM 08-01-2014
Now if we could just bait in a Dolby engineer. You know at least one has got to lurking around here.
NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky 06:56 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
DSCF0712.jpg

Easy, Breezy, DIY ,adjustable steel unistrut trestle system for up to 10 x 10 ft square, allows attachment of "on ceiling speakers" up to 60 inches front or to rear and to left or right., flat ceiling option only, other systems available
speakers can be "aimed" at MLP bubble with laser-like precision, and clearances/appearances can be micro-adjusted to enhance many varying factors, esthetics, color, wires, WAF
system is completely customizable wrt virtually any suitable speaker, including DIY models.
Some assembly required.

may be suitable for ATMOS implementation
Quote:
WTF: Works Terrifically Fine
Quote:
Maybe this will help explain...
thank you, I can "see" that.
who knew?
Yep, looks fine to me; I'd say it would work just perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
It might be. * Disney; don't they usually use DTS-HD Master Audio for their Blus? ...Yes, in vast majority nowadays. ...At the beginning, uncompressed multichannel LPCM. ...And they also have few with Dolby TrueHD audio soundtracks.

So yes, 'Maleficent' might be one Dolby Atmos BD title, perhaps the first one from Disney.
PeterTHX's Avatar PeterTHX 07:11 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
It might be. * Disney; don't they usually use DTS-HD Master Audio for their Blus? ...Yes, in vast majority nowadays. ...At the beginning, uncompressed multichannel LPCM. ...And they also have few with Dolby TrueHD audio soundtracks.

That's the thing. They usually use and say "7.1 DTS-HD MA" (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Frozen, etc) or "7.1 DTS-HD HR" (in the case of Muppets Most Wanted) in their press releases for 2014 Blu-rays. The press release for Malificent just says "7.1" (no codec specified) and Dolby Digital 5.1 for French & Spanish. That leads me to think Dolby will announce the title in their upcoming press show.
Dan Hitchman's Avatar Dan Hitchman 08:07 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
How could all 15 channels be simultaneously active if the receiver/pre-pro can only control 11 at a time? There aren't even 15 pre-outs, are there? Not trying to be argumentative; I just don't understand your comment.
Unfortunately, I think it's wishful thinking on his part. You have a choice of surround locations. Not that all of them are active at once; you just have to pick the remaining ones (outside of left/center/right) that adhere to some sort of fixed 11.1 layout position as established by Dolby.
sdurani's Avatar sdurani 08:48 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Rather than a mega flop, they might go with one of their hit movies instead, like Captain America or Frozen.
Dan Hitchman's Avatar Dan Hitchman 09:21 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Rather than a mega flop, they might go with one of their hit movies instead, like Captain America or Frozen.
Oh, I would most definitely rebuy Frozen if it had a high quality Atmos track. Not so keen on the Marvel stuff.
wse's Avatar wse 09:22 PM 08-01-2014
Which AV receiver can decode DTS NEO X? I am primarily interested in 9.2 channel with wide channels.

I could only find ONKYO?
Dan Hitchman's Avatar Dan Hitchman 09:34 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Which AV receiver can decode DTS NEO X? I am primarily interested in 9.2 channel with wide channels.

I could only find ONKYO?
Certain mid and upper level Denon and Marantz products can. And there is no "decoding." DTS Neo:X is mostly a post-processing mode like the now defunct ProLogic stuff from Dolby.
sdurani's Avatar sdurani 09:49 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Oh, I would most definitely rebuy Frozen if it had a high quality Atmos track. Not so keen on the Marvel stuff.
Agree about Frozen. I like the Marvel movies, in fact preferred CA2 to the first one, but it was one of those Atmos mixes that left me wondering why they even bothered. Maybe I will like it better at home.
FilmMixer's Avatar FilmMixer 09:51 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Malificent a flop?

Hardly....

233 domestic, 716 worldwide total.

And it out grossed Captain America Winter Soldier.
sdurani's Avatar sdurani 10:02 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
Malificent a flop?

Hardly....
My mistake.
esappy's Avatar esappy 10:16 PM 08-01-2014
So has anybody seen Guardians of the Galaxy in Atmos yet? I think the family and I are going to check it out on Sunday as a 'family day' but the closest theater with Atmos is about an hour away and I was hoping to get impressions if it is worth the drive or not. We may go anyway just because and even if the Atmos mix isn't spectacular, it sounds like this is just going to be a fun movie.
PeterTHX's Avatar PeterTHX 10:21 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Malificent a flop?

Hardly....

233 domestic, 716 worldwide total.

And it out grossed Captain America Winter Soldier.
Quote:
My mistake.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing: Malificent, while not quite a darling with critics, made quite a bit of coin. You might be thinking of last year's Disney offering of The Lone Ranger. It should be fairly successful on home video.

Captain America has already been announced as having a 7.1 DTS-MA track.
FilmMixer's Avatar FilmMixer 10:30 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
So has anybody seen Guardians of the Galaxy in Atmos yet? I think the family and I are going to check it out on Sunday as a 'family day' but the closest theater with Atmos is about an hour away and I was hoping to get impressions if it is worth the drive or not. We may go anyway just because and even if the Atmos mix isn't spectacular, it sounds like this is just going to be a fun movie.
It's a great mix..

what will stand out most is how the full range bass managed surrounds immerse you and the music mix.

Worth seeing in the best possible theater regardless. Looks amazing. Great 3D.
sdurani's Avatar sdurani 10:37 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
You might be thinking of last year's Disney offering of The Lone Ranger.
I was thinking of something that cost a ton of money and made very little at the box office. Maleficent wasn't it.
Snowmanick's Avatar Snowmanick 10:46 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
I was thinking of something that cost a ton of money and made very little at the box office. Maleficent wasn't it.
John Carter?
esappy's Avatar esappy 11:22 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
It's a great mix..

what will stand out most is how the full range bass managed surrounds immerse you and the music mix.

Worth seeing in the best possible theater regardless. Looks amazing. Great 3D.
Perfect. Thank you. We rarely get to see movies in Atmos due to logistics but I think we will go ahead and splurge this weekend. I know we are looking forward to seeing it. Now we will find out if the "Regal Premium Experience" is all it's cracked up to be.
First ... 92  93  94 95  96  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop