post #2821 of 12009 Old 08-01-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post
So has anybody seen Guardians of the Galaxy in Atmos yet? I think the family and I are going to check it out on Sunday as a 'family day' but the closest theater with Atmos is about an hour away and I was hoping to get impressions if it is worth the drive or not. We may go anyway just because and even if the Atmos mix isn't spectacular, it sounds like this is just going to be a fun movie.
It's a great mix..

what will stand out most is how the full range bass managed surrounds immerse you and the music mix.

Worth seeing in the best possible theater regardless. Looks amazing. Great 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 12009 Old 08-01-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
You might be thinking of last year's Disney offering of The Lone Ranger.
I was thinking of something that cost a ton of money and made very little at the box office. Maleficent wasn't it.

Sanjay
post #2823 of 12009 Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
I was thinking of something that cost a ton of money and made very little at the box office. Maleficent wasn't it.
John Carter?
PoshFrosh likes this.
post #2824 of 12009 Old 08-01-2014, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
It's a great mix..

what will stand out most is how the full range bass managed surrounds immerse you and the music mix.

Worth seeing in the best possible theater regardless. Looks amazing. Great 3D.
Perfect. Thank you. We rarely get to see movies in Atmos due to logistics but I think we will go ahead and splurge this weekend. I know we are looking forward to seeing it. Now we will find out if the "Regal Premium Experience" is all it's cracked up to be.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #2825 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 02:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
BTW - with respect to the "paranoia" about exactly how Atmos will work with "non Atmos" speaker locations like Front Height, I've been informed that we will have more clarity after CEDIA, when all the stakeholders from D&M will be in the same place with actual demo units. So hang tight.
I'll make a point of asking about this at Dolby on 13th.
post #2826 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post
John Carter?
Yeah, that probably counts as a flop. Pity, I read some of the books a long time ago and would like to see more and it was definitely layed up for sequels, but that'll probably never happen.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #2827 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 03:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but don't understand the entitlement mentality. No one here is owed information that the studios and Dolby aren't ready to divulge. In the mean time, let's not pretend that lack of information equates to a lack of titles coming.
Yep. Nobody is more excited about Atmos at home than I am, but I can't quite see the fuss about titles at this time. We have been told there WILL be titles released this fall. Meantime, there is no way to use the titles even if they were released today, so there's no benefit really in knowing what they will be. And, from the studios' POV there is a significant downside: if they announce today which titles will be available in Atmos, then they will harm sales of those titles in 5.1 between now and the launch.

My guess is that all of the recent Atmos blockbusters will be available on BD at or around hardware availability time.
post #2828 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 03:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Agree about Frozen. I like the Marvel movies, in fact preferred CA2 to the first one, but it was one of those Atmos mixes that left me wondering why they even bothered. Maybe I will like it better at home.
I’d hope that their first release would be a movie that will really showcase what Atmos can do. In that case CA2 might be a poor choice.

BTW I love the Marvel movies too - recently had an at-home MCU-fest with all the movies played in chronological order over several nights.
grtuck likes this.
post #2829 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 03:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You might be thinking of last year's Disney offering of The Lone Ranger.
I didn’t understand why that movie was panned so much by the critics. The pacing could have been better in places but I thought it was a great, fun movie. The sequences at the end (on the train) were fabulous.

Quote:

Captain America has already been announced as having a 7.1 DTS-MA track.
That doesn't mean it won't be released in Atmos later though of course.
post #2830 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I’d hope that their first release would be a movie that will really showcase what Atmos can do. In that case CA2 might be a poor choice.

BTW I love the Marvel movies too - recently had an at-home MCU-fest with all the movies played in chronological order over several nights.
I hope it will be a real movie not some gimmicky animated stuff like they did with 3D you know how they had thing's shooting out of the TV to give you a wow factor...
I want to see something like Warhorse

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos top front Ceiling Speakers
post #2831 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
I hope it will be a real movie not some gimmicky animated stuff like they did with 3D you know how they had thing's shooting out of the TV to give you a wow factor...
AFAIK Warhorse wasn't an Atmos mix so it could be some time before they remix it for Atmos.

But there have been about 120 movies mixed in Atmos to date, so they will be the obvious first releases IMO as the work is already done.

Full list here: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/experienc...os/movies.html
post #2832 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 06:37 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 365
It seems both can do DTS NeoX.

- Marant SR7008
- Pioneer SC-79

The Expendable and Dread are mastered in DTS Neo:X

Is Yamaha able to do DTS NeoX
post #2833 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^ Yamaha don't support DTS Neo:X, and wth Atmos coming soon I assume they never will.
post #2834 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 102
It's probably worth remembering that, at least for the next few years, the vast majority of people who buy a TrueHD-with-Atmos BD will continue to watch|listen to it only as a "traditional" TrueHD BD. So it seems to me that, beyond a handful of exemplar discs remixed|re-released specifically to showcase Atmos, there will be little value to the studios in re-releasing Atmos remixed BDs until there is a much larger installed consumer base of Atmos capable AVRs.
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Last edited by SoundChex; 08-02-2014 at 07:02 AM.
post #2835 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Are we expecting a price premium for the new Blurays with Atmos? I wouldn't think we would but new technology always tends to cost more.

And how are we going to know which version we are getting when ordering from a service like Amazon? I'm guessing all new versions will get Atmos but there are lots out there without the new encoded Atmos bed.

Last edited by 7channelfreak; 08-02-2014 at 07:24 AM.
post #2836 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Along those lines . . .

I'm starting to feel jaded about Atmos based just on the movie titles that have been mentioned so far in this thread, none of which holds the least appeal for me. I wonder whether the promise of Atmos is really limited to just films heavy on special effects or whether it will provide a greater cinematic experience for what I would consider more artistically meaningful films as well. (Michael Sergant and SS9001, you know what I'm talking about!)

I have rather eclectic tastes myself and I don't mean to criticize anyone's preference in movies. I recognize and appreciate the draw for all types of movie entertainment; as they say, to each his own. But to illustrate my point, here are a broad handful of films I've seen in the past three years that I would gladly watch again with an Atmos soundtrack:

All is Lost
Searching for Sugar Man
The Tree of Life
Melancholia
The Descendants
Hugo
True Grit (Coen Bros. Remake)

I would like to hear the opinion of someone in the industry, such as FilmMixer, regarding whether, as a technician, he would enjoy working on such titles and how much he thinks Atmos would add to their cinematic effect.
post #2837 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Along those lines . . .

I'm starting to feel jaded about Atmos based just on the movie titles that have been mentioned so far in this thread, none of which holds the least appeal for me. I wonder whether the promise of Atmos is really limited to just films heavy on special effects or whether it will provide a greater cinematic experience for what I would consider more artistically meaningful films as well. (Michael Sergant and SS9001, you know what I'm talking about!)

I have rather eclectic tastes myself and I don't mean to criticize anyone's preference in movies. I recognize and appreciate the draw for all types of movie entertainment; as they say, to each his own. But to illustrate my point, here are a broad handful of films I've seen in the past three years that I would gladly watch again with an Atmos soundtrack:

All is Lost
Searching for Sugar Man
The Tree of Life
Melancholia
The Descendants
Hugo
True Grit (Coen Bros. Remake)

I would like to hear the opinion of someone in the industry, such as FilmMixer, regarding whether, as a technician, he would enjoy working on such titles and how much he thinks Atmos would add to their cinematic effect.

I'm pretty sure the studios and most fans are thinking more along the lines of movies such as Godzilla, Transformers and super hero movies for Dolby Atmos. You know, movies that will never be mentioned in the same breath with "Academy Award."

Samsung 85" 4K, Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 with MartinLogan Theos, Stage, Motion 15, EM-R, Seaton Submersive F2, 5Denon AVR-X5200W, PS4 = SubSolar, Xbox1 = SubSolar0
post #2838 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 953
There are movies that are not loud, busy blockbusters that have gotten Atmos mixes: Chasing Mavericks, Life of Pi, Mama, Trance, The Heat, Insidious 2, Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Transcendence, Million Dollar Arm, Jersey Boys, Dolphin Tale 2, etc.
kbarnes701 likes this.

Sanjay
post #2839 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 138
U-571 would be awesome.
markrubin likes this.
post #2840 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Yeah, that probably counts as a flop. Pity, I read some of the books a long time ago and would like to see more and it was definitely layed up for sequels, but that'll probably never happen.
Thank the maker! There's a reason John Carter flopped. It was a mess of a movie.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #2841 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar View Post
I'm pretty sure the studios and most fans are thinking more along the lines of movies such as Godzilla, Transformers and super hero movies for Dolby Atmos. You know, movies that will never be mentioned in the same breath with "Academy Award."
I’d expect that pretty much every movie will be mixed in Atmos eventually, just as pretty much every movie currently is in 5.1 - even very 'quiet' movies. No matter how 'quiet' a movie is, it usually has quite a lot of ambience, foley effects etc and, of course, music. It's a brand new format, so I'd expect it would take some time get a hold, just as 5.1 did when it first appeared.
post #2842 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep. Nobody is more excited about Atmos at home than I am, but I can't quite see the fuss about titles at this time. We have been told there WILL be titles released this fall. Meantime, there is no way to use the titles even if they were released today, so there's no benefit really in knowing what they will be. And, from the studios' POV there is a significant downside: if they announce today which titles will be available in Atmos, then they will harm sales of those titles in 5.1 between now and the launch.

My guess is that all of the recent Atmos blockbusters will be available on BD at or around hardware availability time.
Definitely not all. A handful perhaps. Godzilla, Captain America 2, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, unless their covers undergo a massive revision, are listed with DTS tracks.

If these same studios are supporting Atmos at some point, their selection process for which films get the Atmos treatment is pretty darn strange.

post #2843 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Which is a real shame. Even soundtracks for dramas could be improved, even subtly (which what this technology is best for) with object audio.

post #2844 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Thank the maker! There's a reason John Carter flopped. It was a mess of a movie.

It may have flopped but I hardly think it was a mess of a movie. It was exactly what it was supposed to be and I highly enjoyed it and have watched it several times.
PoshFrosh likes this.

Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 5030 UB
Denon AVR-X5200W
Blu-Ray: Oppo 103
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61
post #2845 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenkins95 View Post
It may have flopped but I hardly think it was a mess of a movie. It was exactly what it was supposed to be and I highly enjoyed it and have watched it several times.
I couldn't relate to the characters at all, it seemed like the film was disjointed and almost chaotically edited (its troubled production showed glaringly on the screen), and the story was just silly. Tarzan in space (which is what Burroughs was thinking about). The actress who played the princess was hot, of course, but that in and of itself doesn't make a great movie.

Even the early 1980's Flash Gordon, while more cheesy/hammy, at least had a sense of tongue-in-cheek fun.

But that discussion is for a different thread.

post #2846 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Never? Often those type of films get nominated and some win for Best Sound and Best Sound Editing.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #2847 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
AFAIK Warhorse wasn't an Atmos mix so it could be some time before they remix it for Atmos.

But there have been about 120 movies mixed in Atmos to date, so they will be the obvious first releases IMO as the work is already done.

Full list here: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/experienc...os/movies.html
No I know War Horse wasn't an Atmos film but I would think that something along that type of film would be awesome in Dolby Atmos because it was incredible in dts-Master Audio 7.1 DreamWorks did a great job..... I'm kind of over it with all these animation cartoon type films I want real stuff or great futuristic stuff like ELYSIUM with great picture and atoms surround.
Mind you Avatar would be great in 3D with Dolby Atmos....

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos top front Ceiling Speakers
post #2848 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I'm going to see Guardians of the Galaxy today in Atmos, can't wait.
I'm sure That will inspire me to get my home set up!
post #2849 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
No I know War Horse wasn't an Atmos film but I would think that something along that type of film would be awesome in Dolby Atmos because it was incredible in dts-Master Audio 7.1 DreamWorks did a great job..... I'm kind of over it with all these animation cartoon type films I want real stuff or great futuristic stuff like ELYSIUM with great picture and atoms surround.
Mind you Avatar would be great in 3D with Dolby Atmos....
Dreamworks had nothing to do with the track.

It was the tremendously talentrd sound team.
kbarnes701 likes this.
post #2850 of 12009 Old 08-02-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

John Carter was a flop in my opinion I bought it only because it was in 3D I'm sure upcoming bad movies that have atmos will sell more based on the fact it will have Atmos not because it's a great film...

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page