AVS Forum banner

The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version) – Check out post 1 first

5M views 69K replies 3K participants last post by  GMil 
#1 · (Edited)
Last update: 02.04.2023

Official Dolby Atmos at home website

Dolby on Atmos for the home
Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup
Ceiling-firing speakers ("Atmos-enabled speakers")
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-enabled-speaker-technology.pdf
Speaker installation guidelines
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
If you're more the visual type of guy here's a good video explaining the basics of placing your Atmos speakers:

Insights from a recording and mixing engineer

Technical specification for studios wishing to employ a 7.1.4 home entertainment Dolby Atmos monitoring setup
Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment Studio
Certification Guide

Blog posts
Dolby Atmos: Coming soon to a living room near you - Lab Notes
Dolby Atmos for home theaters: FAQ - Lab Notes

Dolby Patent Application
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2014036085A1.html

Dolby on Atmos for movie theaters
Wayback Machine

Specifications for movie theaters
Wayback Machine

How Atmos content is created
Wayback Machine

How Atmos is encoded into TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus
https://professional.dolby.com/site...on/dolby-atmos/dolby_atmos_renderer_guide.pdf

avsforum.com Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet (at Google Docs, maintained by user kokishin)

Atmos test tone downloads (E-AC-3 audio in .mp4 container)
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/test-tones.html

Other Dolby trailer downloads

See less See more
#9,721 ·
I have Denon X5200 on the way. :) Does this setup look ok to you guys?

It will be a 5.1.4 config in a 12x16 room that opens up to a kitchen, with 8ft. ceilings.

I can't install ceiling speakers, so I'm going to mount a pair of surrounds high on the wall half way between the screen and MLP.

The rear heights will rest on the shelf where the projector is located.

90 degree side surrounds are sitting on top of subs for now but I plan to mount those slightly above ear level.

Attachments

#9,722 ·
I bought two pairs of DT A60s, and they are placed on my Martin Logan 60XTs. The 60XTs slope backwards on top. Can someone tell me how the A60s are supposed to sit (level with ground or tilted forward x degrees I think would be the two selections)?
My A60's are level, they are atop my DT 8060ST's

#9,723 ·
I'm on my phone and can't search- sorry if this has been answered- what about a DTS track on an Atmos capable AVR? Can I use the Dolby Surround mode or will it default to DTS and not use the top speakers? I'm debating 5.2.4 vs 7.2.4 which will require an additional amp and speakers. I lean towards 7.2.4 so I can still watch the 7.1 tracks I already own, but if I can mix everything to Dolby Surround I may just go with 5.2.4.

#9,724 ·
I'm on my phone and can't search- sorry if this has been answered- what about a DTS track on an Atmos capable AVR? Can I use the Dolby Surround mode or will it default to DTS and not use the top speakers? I'm debating 5.2.4 vs 7.2.4 which will require an additional amp and speakers. I lean towards 7.2.4 so I can still watch the 7.1 tracks I already own, but if I can mix everything to Dolby Surround I may just go with 5.2.4.
It's been discussed many times. DSU is no different than DTS Neo:X, Dolby Pro Logic, Audyssey DSX, or any other post-processing scheme. It doesn't care what codec was used to compress space on the disc, once the soundtrack is decoded it's all multich PCM anyway.

There is zero advantage to "matching" the upmixer brand to the codec brand.

All a codec like DTS TrueHD or DTS-HD/MA does is compress the audio track so it takes up less space on the disc. Once decoded any post-processing has no idea what the codec was.

#9,725 ·

It will be a 5.1.4 config in a 12x16 room that opens up to a kitchen, with 8ft. ceilings.

I can't install ceiling speakers, so I'm going to mount a pair of surrounds high on the wall half way between the screen and MLP.
That's reasonable. Top Front probably would be the appropriate designation. (I've done something similar, but mine are aligned with the fronts, so I designated them Front Height.)
If the projector is actually sitting on the shelf, sitting speakers on that same shelf probably is not a good idea. Speakers will induce vibrations in the shelf, which will cause the projector to shake. It's likely to blur the projected image, cause cables to loosen , and perhaps introduce other mechanical problems in the projector, too.
90 degree side surrounds are sitting on top of subs for now but I plan to mount those slightly above ear level.
That's seems reasonable to me.

#9,726 ·
And while you're thinking Bob we are all enjoying DS and Atmos - sorry but we have to keep poking trying to get you to join us on the Dark Side (DS) :)
It's one thing to fantasize about what atoms will sound like but it's another thing to really have it and experience it. Just watched Godzilla in DS I must say I'm glad I jumped in.

Reactions: kbarnes701
#9,727 ·
And while you're thinking Bob we are all enjoying DS and Atmos - sorry but we have to keep poking trying to get you to join us on the Dark Side (DS) :)
Oh I will, all in due time, my time. ...Meanwhile I'm reading all of you guys, early adopters. :cool:

* What is truly tempting is not Dolby Atmos (just one released BD title) but Dolby Surround up-mixer.

And what are you guys going to do when Auro-3D will appear, and DTS-UHD?
Are you going to sell your present units (receivers) and buy new ones, next year?

#9,729 ·
If the projector is actually sitting on the shelf, sitting speakers on that same shelf probably is not a good idea. Speakers will induce vibrations in the shelf, which will cause the projector to shake. It's likely to blur the projected image, cause cables to loosen , and perhaps introduce other mechanical problems in the projector, too.
Great point. I will try isolation, or wall mount if necessary. Fortunately there's room for a mount above or below the shelf.

Thank you for the feedback.

#9,730 ·

Jeeeez! I need to learn how to Sketch my room like that!

#9,731 ·
Oh I will, all in due time, my time. ...Meanwhile I'm reading all of you guys, early adopters. :cool:

* What is truly tempting is not Dolby Atmos (just one released BD title) but Dolby Surround up-mixer.

And what are you guys going to do when Auro-3D will appear, and DTS-UHD?
Are you going to sell your present units (receivers) and buy new ones, next year?
You do realize that it's been confirmed that the Denon 5200 and likely the Marantz 7009 will be upgradeable to Auro and most likely UHD/DTS or whatever it's called when it comes eventually. Sources have the Auro upgrade coming possibly before year-end - cost of it unknown but no need for a new receiver. I'm surprised you've missed that, it's been discussed for the past two weeks on this thread and the Denons, plus the Marantz 7702 thread.

So we are enjoying Dolby Surround now, our one Atmos flick to-date and have some future proof receivers at least until the speaker count expands beyond 11. Sometimes being an early adaptor isn't so bad after all ;)

#9,732 ·
You do realize that it's been confirmed that the Denon 5200 and likely the Marantz 7009 will be upgradeable to Auro and most likely UHD/DTS or whatever it's called when it comes eventually. Sources have the Auro upgrade coming possibly before year-end - cost of it unknown but no need for a new receiver. I'm surprised you've missed that, it's been discussed for the past two weeks on this thread and the Denons, plus the Marantz 7702 thread.

Hard to believe with all those posts isn't it[emoji6]

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]

#9,733 ·
So, a question I have is what will constitute an optimal speaker count for home cinema when we are at a stage where our pre-pro's can deliver Atmos material to a larger number of transducers than they are able to at present?

I know this will be dictated by room size to some extent but my guess would be that the law of diminishing returns will apply.

Those who have posted here who are using 4 over heads seem very happy. So, what will 6 overheads really get us...or 6 over heads AND front heights and back heights?

#9,735 ·
I believe the "most likely UHD/DTS" part is a bit of a stretch; AFAIK there is nothing has been side by D-M either way.
We will see. With no details about DTS-UHD I'm not losing any sleep over whether it happens or not. On the other hand if D&M can deliver receivers that are Atmos ready, upgradeable to Auro, is it a stretch? Besides a quality DTS-MASTER 7.1 or 5.1 mix sounds even better using Dolby Surround. :)

#9,737 · (Edited)

So we are enjoying Dolby Surround now, our one Atmos flick to-date and have some future proof receivers at least until the speaker count expands beyond 11. Sometimes being an early adaptor isn't so bad after all ;)
Steve, I did not miss a thing, not a single thing; I've read this thread like the bible. ;)

Everything is vaporware so far, the facts aren't here yet, and neither the cost.
Denon is one thing, Marantz another.

This is the brand new beginning; most people (99%) are waiting a year or so before committing for good.
They want all the new audio codecs, not just Atmos.

Give us a chance to be wise, be patient, give us more software we can use before getting the hardware.

But thanks to you guys, we are learning early in the game. :)

* And I'm waiting for our leader, Markus' opinion.

P.S. Steve, not everyone here @ AVS has a Denon Atmos receiver like yours; other members have Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha Atmos receivers; and I was thinking of them.
Yes, I have read about a possible future upgrade for your Denon 5200 receiver.
But not everyone here in this "universal" Dolby Atmos thread is a 5200's owner.

So, what are most folks doing to do when Auro-3D shows up next year?
Yes, we know, you, you are well covered, so you, don't have to worry about it @ all.
It's just that you aren't alone Steve; many members have Dolby Atmos receivers; just not the 5200 like you.

#9,738 ·
I've been running 8 subs full tilt for over a year now; and unless I am trying :D, I have yet to see image blurring in my pj, let alone cables loosening on their own. It's a bookshelf crossed over at 80 hz for goodness sakes, not a buttkicker sitting there. :)

#9,739 ·
I wonder if the DSU will be able upmix Auro or DTS-UHD audio tracks to your Atmos configured speaker system? Let's say the speakers are setup for a 7.1.4 configuration and you play a movie with an Auro or DTS-UHD track, maybe it will be able to inteligently emulate it with your current speakers. Hopefully it can do this with enough accuracy that you would not feel the need to add more speaker configurations to encompass each audio encoding format.

#9,740 ·
I wonder if the DSU will be able upmix Auro or DTS-UHD audio tracks to your Atmos configured speaker system?
DTS-UHD is object-based audio that will render to all available speakers. Why (let alone how) would you upmix a soundtrack that is already using all the speakers?

Since Auro is channel-based, there is a possibility that upmixing could be used IF there are more playback speakers than source channels. It remains to be seen if DSU can accept more than 7.1 incoming channels (Auro soundtracks start at 9.1).