51Likes

post #1 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Dolby Atmos Comes Home in New Onkyo AVRs, Pre/Pro

It's been a long wait, but Dolby Atmos is finally available for home theaters in three new products from Onkyo, including the PR-SC5530 pre/pro seen here.

If you're like me, you've been longing for Dolby Atmos three-dimensional audio to be available for home theaters. Well, that longing is about to be satisfied. Onkyo today announced three new products—the TX-NR1030 and TX-NR3030 AV receivers and PR-SC5530 AV controller (pre/pro)—all with Dolby Atmos. Each of these THX-certified components features dual 32-bit DSP engines to decode, scale, and calibrate the Atmos system to suit individual home-theater configurations.

The TX-NR1030 provides nine channels of high-current amplification and two subwoofer outputs, while the flagship TX-NR3030 ups the main channel count to 11; the PR-SC5530 pre/pro also provides 11.2-channel operation. With any of them, you can augment a 5.1 or 7.1 system with width, height, and/or overhead speakers. As far as I know, there is currently no content available for the home with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, but these units can synthetically expand a 5.1 or 7.1 soundtrack into the extra speakers.

Both AVRs provide 11.4 pre-outs and balanced XLR pre-outs for the front L/R channels, while the PR-SC5530 offers both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs for all 11.4 channels. All three can also be configured to biamp the front left and right speakers (using outboard amps with the PR-SC5530, of course).

The TX-NR3030 flagship AVR is one of three new products from Onkyo that offers Dolby Atmos along with 11 channels of amplification and many other high-end features.

All three units are built like tanks with high-quality components throughout, and separate processing and amplifier blocks minimize electrical interference. Both AVRs feature a customized high-regulation transformer, while the TX-NR3030 adds two EI transformers for audio and video processing along with custom 18,000 µF capacitors and low-distortion, three-stage inverted Darlington amplifier circuitry. The PR-SC5530 has a custom toroidal power supply and separate EI transformers for audio and video processing. In addition to the dual 32-bit DSPs, there are seven TI Burr-Brown DACs—192 kHz/32-bit in the TX-NR3030 and PR-SC5530 and 192 kHz/24-bit in the TX-NR1030.

Room calibration/correction is provided by Onkyo's proprietary AccuEQ, which measures and compensates for speaker distances, levels, crossovers, and frequency response from one location, and it doesn't downsample 96 kHz, unlike many other room-correction systems. Also, AccuEQ can be set to bypass the front L/R speakers if you want to experience the unique sound of your stereo speakers without DSP. Engaging Pure Direct Analog Path mode physically switches off all digital circuits when listening to analog sources, such as a turntable or high-quality SACD or CD player.

Built-in WiFi supports double-rate DSD, gapless 192 kHz/24-bit FLAC and WAV, and Dolby TrueHD streaming from a media server as well as streaming directly from a mobile device. Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR streaming quality is enhanced by a Music Optimizer DSP mode that is said to restore lost information from MP3s and other lossy audio files.

The TX-NR1030 offers nine channels of amplification rather than 11, but aside from a few relatively minor differences, it's much the same as its larger sibling, the TX-NR3030.

On the video side of things, eight HDMI 2.0 inputs and three outputs support 4K/UHD at 60 fps and a 21:9 aspect ratio, and one of the inputs and the main output support HDCP 2.2 copy protection. A second HDMI output can route 1080p video to a remote display with multizone control using a streaming and control app, and the third HDMI out is intended for a dedicated projector connection at up to 4K/UHD at 60 fps. Unfortunately, the HDMI ports operate at 10.2 Gbps, not the full 18 Gbps of fully implemented HDMI 2.0, so they can't handle anything more than 4K/UHD at 60 fps with 8-bit, 4:2:0 color.

A Marvell Qdeo video processor upscales low-resolution video to 1080p or UHD, and ISF Day and Night modes let you calibrate the video settings for bright and dark viewing environments. I'm glad to see the Qdeo processor, which works very well, but I'm not sure how useful the ISF modes are—after all, most serious home-theater enthusiasts calibrate the display device directly, so having this capability in the AVR or pre/pro seems redundant.

All three units are scheduled to ship to dealers in August; the TX-NR1030 will carry a retail price of $1699, the TX-NR3030 will be $2399, and the PR-SC5530 will be $2499.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 06-23-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 279
This....is a dream come true! Object-oriented audio in the home. And it'll be ready just in time for my build completion. YES!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 208
How many speakers do you need for Atmos? Can it be used with 5.1 setups? .......Onkyo not using Audyssey anymore makes these receivers useless for alot of people. I don't get why they would do that.
Phrehdd likes this.

home theater addict
post #4 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 06:36 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 530
OK NOW, just ran over to the CEDIA registration and signed up for the Dolby Presentation on "Next Generation of Audio Formats" on how to plan and configure for these formats.
post #5 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 100
and about one tenth the price of an upgraded Datasat!!! Same sound quality? Probably not. Is the Datasat going to be TEN TIMES better?? Not a shot? Not to diss the Datasat but for me, the bigger difference will be AccuEQ (what in the world is THAT?) versus Dirac on the Datasat. Dirac wins !!
post #6 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 100
From Onkyo on AccuEQ

http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?t=5753&p=21276. Sounds like a very very very poor replacement for Audyssey. One location only? Still working on it??

"Many calibration systems apply equalization to all channels. This in turn results in your speaker producing an “Equalized Sound” not the natural sound of your speakers.

The main benefit of AccuEQ is that it does not apply an Equalized effect to Front channels and Subwoofer. This allows the natural sound of your speakers to be heard while taking into consideration things such as room furnishings, speaker distance and speaker type.

We will continue to refine AccEQ as we move forward to make it the best calibration system available."
David Susilo and rcohen like this.
post #7 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Atmos is as exciting as Dolby prologic iiz, dsx and Neo-X.. Well at least Neo-X had some type of support (Expendables 2). Until we lear the word from movie studios about their plans to release Blu-rays or downloadable movies fully supporting Atmos and Auro, all we have is just another feature added to hype up receiver and pre-pro sales...

I'm still waiting for every movies to have full 7.1 with 24/96 instead of 24/48.. Blu-ray is 8 years old and we still don't have this.. Atoms = 3D..
red71rum, Suntan, quad4.0 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by kevon27; 06-23-2014 at 06:53 AM.
post #8 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
From Onkyo on AccuEQ

http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?t=5753&p=21276. Sounds like a very very very poor replacement for Audyssey. One location only? Still working on it??

"Many calibration systems apply equalization to all channels. This in turn results in your speaker producing an “Equalized Sound” not the natural sound of your speakers.

The main benefit of AccuEQ is that it does not apply an Equalized effect to Front channels and Subwoofer.
This allows the natural sound of your speakers to be heard while taking into consideration things such as room furnishings, speaker distance and speaker type.

We will continue to refine AccEQ as we move forward to make it the best calibration system available."
Welcome to a feature that's been available with Pioneer's MCACC for some time.

Atmos sounds cool, but I wonder how it'll be implemented for home use. If you have to wait for next-gen Blu-ray to have it, it might be a long wait and the selection might be very limited, and pricey. If Atmos is implemented via online delivery, it's bound to be compressed and that'll spoil it for many enthusiasts, based on the feedback I've received on the forum.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #9 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Enter: External EQ. Something tells me ANY manufacturer that adopts dolby atmos or auro 3d will be required to develop their own method to equalize. Why? ATMOS and all other object-based formats required precise directionality/angular knowledge for each speaker that mainstream equalization programs haven't yet developed (That may change at CEDIA). I say, use CrappuEQ for identifying where the speakers are in the room, and an external EQ for real speaker EQ (dirac w/ multi-channel dac, or manual EQ refined by a professional).
post #10 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The AccuEQ reeks of cost cutting, the thing is, I can’tcount how many times I recommended Onkyo (even overlooking their repeated quality control problems) to others based onthe Audyssey feature alone.

With their gimped AccuEQ which doesn’t EQ the sub, and only measuresone position, it looks like they’ve taken ten steps back. I know I’ll berecommending people against buying Onkyo. People expect a decent roomequalization these days, and even Pioneers or Yamaha’s system are muchpreferable.

I still have my Onkyo receiver that has MultEQ XT, and Iknow I won’t be trading up to Onkyo when I go shopping for my next HDMI 2.0receiver.

IgorZep likes this.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #11 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:00 AM

http://www.audioholics.com/editorial...s-home-theater

"It's Coming to Home Theater Near You. Are you Ready?

We’ve heard chatter in the industry that the new surround format Dolby Atmos, originally designed for Cineplexes, may be working its way into new AV receivers as soon as this fall. For those of you unfamiliar with Atmos, here are some bullet points from their website for a quick overview:"
post #12 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I am ready to buy a new pre pro as my theater comes to completion, I am not sure if I should wait or not. But just like 4K, where is the Atmos content? Has there been any announcement of Blu Ray content yet?
post #13 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I am ready to buy a new pre pro as my theater comes to completion, I am not sure if I should wait or not. But just like 4K, where is the Atmos content? Has there been any announcement of Blu Ray content yet?
Blu-rays with Atmos = 0 announced..
UHD Blu-rays = 0 announced
imagic and quad4.0 like this.
post #14 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:07 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
Blu-rays with Atmos = 0 announced..
UHD Blu-rays = 0 announced
And Dolby's reps already said that online/cloud distribution is how it plans to roll out new technologies going forward.

post #15 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can existed Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD blu ray discs matrix into Atmos?
post #16 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
nr939 not being produced? skipping to the 10 model? also licensing with audyssey ended?
post #17 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
And Dolby's reps already said that online/cloud distribution is how it plans to roll out new technologies going forward.
Hmmm... Vudu SuperUltra HDX downloads - UHD, 13.1 atoms/auro, sample rates 24/192... Now that would get me going...
post #18 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
lol, streaming HD movie in realtime?

Also...Onkyo and HDMI boards..

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #19 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:20 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post
I chatted with Scott about that and the answer is yes; but I've got to ask, what's the point? Is Atmos really going to be just another DTS Neo X or Dolby Pro Logic IIz?

post #20 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
Hmmm... Vudu SuperUltra HDX downloads - UHD, 13.1 atoms/auro, sample rates 24/192... Now that would get me going...
That would also get my internet bill going...

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
post #21 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
and about one tenth the price of an upgraded Datasat!!! Same sound quality? Probably not. Is the Datasat going to be TEN TIMES better?? Not a shot? Not to diss the Datasat but for me, the bigger difference will be AccuEQ (what in the world is THAT?) versus Dirac on the Datasat. Dirac wins !!
The key reason I bought my Onkyo 818 in 2012 was Audyssey XT32.This means my next purchase won't be an Onkyo. As for Dirac, they must be celebrating with joy as their outrageously expensive software has one less competitor. I hope Denon doesn't follow the pack.
post #22 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 594
From Dolby:

"We’re working with studios and production houses to help them create Dolby Atmos soundtracks for a broad range of movies and TV for home viewing. You’ll start to see Dolby Atmos titles on Blu-ray and streaming video services this fall, with more to come at the start of 2015. ... And you likely won’t need a new Blu-ray™ player—existing players that fully conform to the Blu-ray specification will be able to support Dolby Atmos content on a Blu-ray Disc™."

http://blog.dolby.com/2014/06/dolby-...ing-room-near/

Just as announcements about new receivers made it clear that consumer Atmos isn't "years away" as some people thought, likewise the fact that TV shows are being mixed in Atmos should make it clear that it isn't just for major motion pictures, and the fact that Atmos soundtracks will be offered on streaming services should make it obvious that high bit rates aren't needed.

Sanjay
post #23 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 60
post #24 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

all this atmos hype, sounds like a dolby version of DSX. Outside of the cinema with 50+ speakers, i dont' see the benefits of this in a home.
post #25 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post
No. Atmos is an encode/decode technology, not matrix surround processing.

During mixing, sounds are given x,y,z coordinates in 3D space. Upon playback, it tries to render the original directionality using whatever speakers you have.

Having said that, there might be new surround processing in upcoming receivers that can matrix current 5.1 or 7.1 soundtracks to an 11-speaker layout. But that's not Atmos.

Sanjay
post #26 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Well, there ya go.

post #27 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I will not ever purchase Onkyo, but I am glad they are pushing ATMOS. Now I will just wait for a legit pre-pro from a better company (marantz, yamaha I am talking to you).
post #28 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So are there any online guides to wiring/speaker placement for Atmos? I'm very close to putting drywall up in my build (pulled for 7.2 + two height speakers in the front which will be unused for now), but I'd rather just pull extra wires now that the drywall is down and have them there for futureproofing...

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #29 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 257
There are other parts of the Atmos eco system that have not yet been announced.

When I return from vacation I will see what the timeframe is for further announcements and what I can share.

But I can tell all of you that when I first got demos of home Atmos back in February I was more excited than I've ever been for a home theater advancement.

More to come.

IMO this will be a real treat for those into immersive home audio.

And as has been pointed out the current gen blu ray players and cabling you apready have will support the new codec just fine.

I suspect there will be content to play once you can get your hands on a processor that it.
post #30 of 286 Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm skeptical. I think a better speaker placement and room correction would benefit more than having another audio codec.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page