Pre-AMP QUESTION

This is my setup.

Pioneer VSX-70
Dayton ProSub 1200
2 FrontStanding Polk TSi300
Center Polk CS10
4 Definitive Technology Pro800
3 Aura Bass Shakers

I need help buying Pre-Amp to power all these speaker specially the subwoofer and the Bass Shakers.

Question
1-Base on my settings do i need One?
2-I am still trying to understand what is Pre-amp for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-23-2014, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You have a receiver. It's basically a pre-amp and an amplifier all in one. The pre-amp is the brains of things and the amp actually powers the speakers. I'm not familiar with bass shakers, but your receiver can power a 7.2 setup. That's 7 speakers and two subs. I imagine a bass thumper is much the latter. Not sure why you'd need or want 3 of them. I hope you don't have neighbors.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-23-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
You have a receiver. It's basically a pre-amp and an amplifier all in one. The pre-amp is the brains of things and the amp actually powers the speakers. I'm not familiar with bass shakers, but your receiver can power a 7.2 setup. That's 7 speakers and two subs. I imagine a bass thumper is much the latter. Not sure why you'd need or want 3 of them. I hope you don't have neighbors.
I feel i have crank up my receiver to get a good sound for these speakers..

Is that normal?
post #4 of 7 Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Define "crank up". What is the range of the volume control and where do you have it set?

If they sound good you don't need anything else except to stay away from Internet fora.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 7 Old 06-23-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Define "crank up". What is the range of the volume control and where do you have it set?

If they sound good you don't need anything else except to stay away from Internet fora.
I guess you right about staying away from forums.

I think it start from -80db to +12db ..

I alway set it to -25db or 20db it depends what movie i am watching.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-23-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 255
-25 or -20 dB is no problem. -20 dB is 1/100th (1%) the power of 0 dB. Be happy. Most people have no clue how little power they are actually using most of the time.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #7 of 7 Old 06-23-2014, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The crank up really depends on how loud you're going. Your receiver is rated 90W x 7 speakers. A lot of consumer level receiver do exaggerate their ratings. It could be a lack of power if you're getting distortion if you listed to all of that loud.

Again, a receiver is a pre-amp and amp all in one with the brains being the pre-amp and the amp being the power. Some receivers can actually act as both a pre-amp or a receiver. The types of customers who want a pre-amp typically spend a ton of money on AV, so companies like Pioneer don't make your model with the ability to do anything but be a receiver.

Should you actually need more power or want to have more power, you'd have two options. A more powerful receiver which again is the pre-amp and amp all in one or buy both a pre-amp and either a 7 channel amp or 7 channels worth of amps. In terms of an amplifier, if it's operating within its power rating then no one amp sounds better than the other. Thus, you can find one used for a good price. The pre-amps can get spendy as they're aimed at the high end market.

You could get a cheaper receiver that has pre-outs (as in it can be a pre-amp) and then buy amps if it doesn't do its job as you want. You could sell your existing receiver on craigslist or somewhere and buy a used one that has pre-outs. Then buy a used amp for whatever speakers are distorting. The center channel and front speakers do most of the load typically.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page