1Likes
  • 1 Post By bootman_head_fi

post #1 of 19 Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do'nt understand what I need

I just purchased a set of Magneplanar 1.7 , the mmgc(center channel),and the mmgw rears. I own a pioneer sc-07 reciever, the sound is good and from what I can tell ,it does'nt seem overly taxed. But I'm told that the the 1.7s would greatly benefit from more power. Would they really? And what is it I might want. A pre amp,or a power amp . I admit , I am not well versed in the audio jargon,so please keep your replies simple. I'm wowed already with my new sound . It is a huge upgrade from the speakers I had. please help educate me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Live with them for a while and see if you need more power. Probably not. If so you would need to get a power amplifier rated significantly higher in power than your SC-07.

Enjoy the new Maggies! - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 19 Old 06-23-2014, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

2ch output was reviewed at 280wpc at 4ohms, on audioholics.Is that good?
post #4 of 19 Old 06-23-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Speakers don't output power. That's the maximum power handling.

Either way, your Pioneer only outputs a maxium of 47W per channel.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #5 of 19 Old 06-24-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
Either way, your Pioneer only outputs a maxium of 47W per channel.
The Pioneer SC-07 is rated at 140 watts per channel with two channels driven... According to Sound and Vision, the amplifier can deliver 120 watts per channel with five channels being driven. That should be more than adequate to drive the Magnepans to a moderate volume.

If you think the loudness of your system is too low, then an amplifier upgrade should be considered. Remember, for every thee decibel increase in loudness, you have to DOUBLE the power. Accordingly, to get 10dB louder you will need 10X the power. With the Pioneer, you can figure an average volume level of about 95dB (@ 10 watts output) with peaks at about 105dB (@ full power on your amplifier)

if you think the loudness of the system is satisfactory, then you don't need to upgrade. It all depends on how loud you want the sound to be...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...

Last edited by Jon S; 06-24-2014 at 04:47 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-24-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

correction 103W per channel, 7 channels.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-labs-measures

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #7 of 19 Old 06-24-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

The SC-07 is fine.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #8 of 19 Old 06-24-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 91
How can it be said max power is 47 watts on the SC-07? Seems to be a misunderstanding of how all channels driven measurement relates to max single channel power. The max power per channel is, at worst, the max power seen at a specified THD with two channels driven.

All channels driven is a tool giving you some idea of how large the power supply is IMO, but could also be telling you something about the receiver's design which limits power under a high, and not very real world load. I don't think it's fair to say a receiver's max power is the per channel power seen in the all channels driven test.

I really think it's long past time to do a careful comparison between a budget model and a mid priced model with some ability to detect clipping with a real movie, a normal size untreated room, and typical bookshelf speakers ( 88 dB or so.) Then we could tell new buyers how much SPL they could expect to get before distortion happens. I suspect it's at least 95 dB at a typical listening position with a 6 dB drop in SPL from speaker to listening position ( and very likely better.) That's not bad IMO. I guess it depends on how many listeners want near ref. level or ref. level SPL.

Any guidance would be better than what we have now in these forums, which seems to be a "more power!" reaction to all questions.

"But this one goes up to 11"

Last edited by MichaelJHuman; 06-24-2014 at 07:43 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-24-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 86
If you are enjoying your system and like you said it doesn't sound taxed, then you are done.
Stop reading internet forums and enjoy your system.
Your wallet and sanity will thank you later.
Section 107 likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
If you are enjoying your system and like you said it doesn't sound taxed, then you are done.
Stop reading internet forums and enjoy your system.
Your wallet and sanity will thank you later.
I have a very small movie room roughly 10' X 9', so loudness is not a problem. In fact even with my old speakers,and with the Maggies,at no time has the fan on my reciever ever kicked in. I tried turning it up to a high volume,and left the room as it was to loud to listen to. Left it for 4hrs,as I worked in the yard. No distortion was evident to my ear.from outside. It seems that the quality of the recording seems to make a big difference.Is that typical ?
Oh Yea I'm not a very rich guy,this was a big investment for me,and I'd like to get the most out of them. I have another $1000 in my budget. Would I be better off buying higher quality wires,as right now i have cheap ass wire s and connectors?
post #11 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Nope. Things like Kimber are a rip off. Just get suitable cables, not overpriced blessed by pixies, in the magical kingdom.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #12 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Any recommendations? You seem to have a well balanced approach to all this stuff.
Thanks
post #13 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by igetittera View Post
I have a very small movie room roughly 10' X 9', so loudness is not a problem. In fact even with my old speakers,and with the Maggies,at no time has the fan on my reciever ever kicked in. I tried turning it up to a high volume,and left the room as it was to loud to listen to. Left it for 4hrs,as I worked in the yard. No distortion was evident to my ear.from outside. It seems that the quality of the recording seems to make a big difference.Is that typical ?
Oh Yea I'm not a very rich guy,this was a big investment for me,and I'd like to get the most out of them. I have another $1000 in my budget. Would I be better off buying higher quality wires,as right now i have cheap ass wire s and connectors?
Put your money into room treatments if you put the money into anything. For example, the bass response in a typical room is all over the place due to the relationship between wave lengths and the room dimensions. If you had not experienced the issues first hand, loading some test tones online and playing them back you can hear shifts in output level where there should none. That can be mitigated using bass traps to reduce the effect of "standing waves." There's also problems with reflections. I am no expert, but I believe a reasonable amount of money can improve the frequency response in a room. I don't think you can rely on your receiver's room correction capabilities whatever they may be.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #14 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a very small movie room roughly 10' X 9', so loudness is not a problem. In fact even with my old speakers,and with the Maggies,at no time has the fan on my reciever ever kicked in. I tried turning it up to a high volume,and left the room as it was to loud to listen to. Left it for 4hrs,as I worked in the yard. No distortion was evident to my ear.from outside.
Sounds like you have enough power in that room.

Quote:
It seems that the quality of the recording seems to make a big difference.Is that typical ?
Yes! Garbage in amplified garbage out!

Quote:
If I were you, maybe another sub but not expensive cables.

BTW what is it you are trying to achieve here?
Whats missing? Or from reading posts here are you convinced something is missing?
Big difference.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

If you don't have a sub, get one (I suggest Rythmik).

If you do, spend the $1000 on some room treatment or just more music and movies. Forums are a waste of time and money for far too many (myself included).

Better yet, just give me the $1000, and I assure you I will put it to good use. - Don

post #16 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 11:56 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
How can it be said max power is 47 watts on the SC-07? .
It is easy if you hate the Pioneer brand as much as Fatbottom does.
post #17 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 11:57 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Maggies are very easy to drive and the Pioneer receiver is more than enough to handle them. By all means supplement them with a subwoofer.
post #18 of 19 Old 06-26-2014, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
Sounds like you have enough power in that room.

Yes! Garbage in amplified garbage out!

If I were you, maybe another sub but not expensive cables.

BTW what is it you are trying to achieve here?
Whats missing? Or from reading posts here are you convinced something is missing?
Big difference.
When I bought my Pioneer Rec.,It was like hearing my music again for the first time. The detail was eye opening . Just so you know ,I was dancer\choreographer. I have listened to certain songs 1000s of times,so when I say I here detail I never heard before I know what I'm talking about. It has been the same experience since I bought the Maggies. The sound is crisp and cleaner than I've ever heard it. Thanks to your replies,and advice ,I believe I'm done.As I think adding anything would only add a marginal improvement. However I have the opportunity to audition a Bryson amp,with my equipment. If ya'll are interested?I'll continue this thread.And post my observations. No I am not an audiophile,just a regular guy,making simple observations from what I hear,not based on what the specs. tell me I'm hearing.I really do'nt want to know everything about what goes into a piece of equipment,kinda takes the magic out of it. I do appreciate the fact that some of you do. Thats why I asked.That said enjoy your sound today folks.
Yes I do own a earthquake sub,undecided as to whether It makes things better,except for movies.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-26-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When I bought my Pioneer Rec.,It was like hearing my music again for the first time. The detail was eye opening . Just so you know ,I was dancer\choreographer. I have listened to certain songs 1000s of times,so when I say I here detail I never heard before I know what I'm talking about. It has been the same experience since I bought the Maggies. The sound is crisp and cleaner than I've ever heard it. Thanks to your replies,and advice ,I believe I'm done.As I think adding anything would only add a marginal improvement. However I have the opportunity to audition a Bryson amp,with my equipment. If ya'll are interested?I'll continue this thread.And post my observations. No I am not an audiophile,just a regular guy,making simple observations from what I hear,not based on what the specs. tell me I'm hearing.I really do'nt want to know everything about what goes into a piece of equipment,kinda takes the magic out of it. I do appreciate the fact that some of you do. Thats why I asked.That said enjoy your sound today folks.
Yes I do own a earthquake sub,undecided as to whether It makes things better,except for movies.
My sub recommendation was for movies.
The Maggies for music go down low enough for most materials short of pipe organs music.

So back and enjoy the sound.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page