Receiver Choice or Pre-Pro with "Bells and Whistles" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-23-2014, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Post Receiver Choice or Pre-Pro with "Bells and Whistles"

I believe that the Denon x4000 hits on all the bells and whistles that I would like, but I am wondering if I may be missing something. To stretch my budget I could go with a Marantz 7008. Yamaha 2030, or a Denon 4520. All but the Yamaha would come with the XT32 which is beneficial for me and my open/vaulted family room acoustical challenges.

Elsewhere I have read that choosing Anthem, CA, Arcam, or NAD receiver would deliver better "sound" with less bells and whistles. I believe that they are probably referring to a warm sound rather than harsh.

Finally I guess I could go with a Pre-pro like an Emotiva UMC 200 or Outlaw that could work with my old B&K AV 5000 series II (5 Channel amp 125 wpc) that produces that warm sound like the receivers above. I do realize that I would be giving up a few bells and whistles with this set-up but it would only cost $600. BTW are their any seperates that are reasonable that do have all the bells and whistles?

What I need for bells and whistles are as follows:
* Air Play
* Wi-Fi Networking (Android App/Spotify etc)
* 2 or 3 zones
* HDMI pass through
* 7.2 minimum (must have the ability to do wides)
* Video upscaling? Or do they only convert?
* Like to have 6 HDMI inputs can deal with less
* If receiver 7 or 9 on-board amps
* Room Correction + bass management
* Ability to play digital sources in stereo in the separate zones without having to supply a separate analog signal (I believe that only the Yamaha does this correctly)

Current set-up includes a Pioneer SC-25 that runs the surrounds and Zone 2 that is now sold to a friend (Do not care for MCACC). Using the B&K to run the front 3 and zone 3 in a traditional 5.1 with with Sonus Faber Grand Piano as the front 3, 2 Klipsch KSF5 2 way surrounds, and SVS 12 ultra sub. Additionally would like to add a pair of Fluance Bipoles or Klipsch Synergy's for the front Wide speakers.

While I like the bells and whistles from the first set of receivers, I do enjoy a more laid back sound from the second set. This leads me to believe that the Marantz would possibly be the best of both worlds, while the Pre-pro solution is still out there as well.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-24-2014, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Any thoughts? Or should I wait for all the new HDMI 2.0 stuff to hit the shelves? I do hate chasing my tail on the future though
post #3 of 6 Old 06-24-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio.hobby View Post
I believe that the Denon x4000 hits on all the bells and whistles that I would like, but I am wondering if I may be missing something. To stretch my budget I could go with a Marantz 7008. Yamaha 2030, or a Denon 4520. All but the Yamaha would come with the XT32 which is beneficial for me and my open/vaulted family room acoustical challenges.

Elsewhere I have read that choosing Anthem, CA, Arcam, or NAD receiver would deliver better "sound" with less bells and whistles. I believe that they are probably referring to a warm sound rather than harsh.

Finally I guess I could go with a Pre-pro like an Emotiva UMC 200 or Outlaw that could work with my old B&K AV 5000 series II (5 Channel amp 125 wpc) that produces that warm sound like the receivers above. I do realize that I would be giving up a few bells and whistles with this set-up but it would only cost $600. BTW are their any seperates that are reasonable that do have all the bells and whistles?

What I need for bells and whistles are as follows:
* Air Play
* Wi-Fi Networking (Android App/Spotify etc)
* 2 or 3 zones
* HDMI pass through
* 7.2 minimum (must have the ability to do wides)
* Video upscaling? Or do they only convert?
* Like to have 6 HDMI inputs can deal with less
* If receiver 7 or 9 on-board amps
* Room Correction + bass management
* Ability to play digital sources in stereo in the separate zones without having to supply a separate analog signal (I believe that only the Yamaha does this correctly)

Current set-up includes a Pioneer SC-25 that runs the surrounds and Zone 2 that is now sold to a friend (Do not care for MCACC). Using the B&K to run the front 3 and zone 3 in a traditional 5.1 with with Sonus Faber Grand Piano as the front 3, 2 Klipsch KSF5 2 way surrounds, and SVS 12 ultra sub. Additionally would like to add a pair of Fluance Bipoles or Klipsch Synergy's for the front Wide speakers.

While I like the bells and whistles from the first set of receivers, I do enjoy a more laid back sound from the second set. This leads me to believe that the Marantz would possibly be the best of both worlds, while the Pre-pro solution is still out there as well.

Thanks for any help!
Anthem receiver amplifiers have been shown to be very weak and not deliver their rated power by independent tests.

I wouldn't include them in that list.

The NuForce AVP-18 is an excellent processor that sells for only $1095; a heck of a bargain.

Separate power amplifiers have a lot more real power than the amplifiers in receivers in most cases.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
Anthem receiver amplifiers have been shown to be very weak and not deliver their rated power by independent tests.

I wouldn't include them in that list.

The NuForce AVP-18 is an excellent processor that sells for only $1095; a heck of a bargain.

Separate power amplifiers have a lot more real power than the amplifiers in receivers in most cases.
I read somewhere that the NuForce processor is really an Emotiva umc200 in disguise. Besides if I were to spend an additional 500 over the Emotiva I would expect at least some attractive "Bells and Whistles".
post #5 of 6 Old 06-24-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
It is not an Emotiva.

Before you dismiss it as not having a lot of "bells and whistles" maybe you should look closer at what it actually has.

It has one heck of an impressive long long list of features; some that are hard to find on other units.

It also has programmability which makes it very versatile.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-24-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
It is not an Emotiva.

Before you dismiss it as not having a lot of "bells and whistles" maybe you should look closer at what it actually has.

It has one heck of an impressive long long list of features; some that are hard to find on other units.

It also has programmability which makes it very versatile.
It does room correction What else on my list is there? Only 4 hdmi inputs, no network, no wifi, no air play, no zone 2/3 on the spec sheet. Does it do anything with the video, or just pass it through? You tell me what are the features that I am missing?

Interesting that it has the Identical weight as the Emotiva 10lbs and shipping weight @16lbs, though the NuForce lists it in Kg. And same inputs and outputs.............Just saying
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page