Onkyo PR-SC5530 processor 11.4 Atmos - Hdmi 2.0 - Wifi + Bluetooth - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 07-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It is on the Onkyo US site now.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...urce=prodClass

War Eagle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 07-03-2014, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No multi-channel input??? Big let down right there and probably a deal breaker. How am I going to listen to my wonderful 32bit ESS in the Oppo 105D? Come on Onkyo that's just not right.

Also no Neo:X??? Boo
zeropoint likes this.

Last edited by Cane1992; 07-04-2014 at 04:11 AM.
post #33 of 46 Old 07-16-2014, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
The only thing for sure is that Onkyo's AccuEQ is developed by Dolby for Onkyo...based on Onkyo training in Canada.
FWIW.

Hugo
post #34 of 46 Old 07-22-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can some one comment on power supplies and 2 DSP chips on Onkyo PR-SC5530. Are the power supplies/el transformer and DSP chips same as SC5509 . Was there any upgrade on either of these. If I understand correctly 2 DSP may be faster than previous models and power supplies have been upgraded in 5530. Has any one written to Onkyo and got confirmation on either.

Revel Salon 2, Voice 2, Gem2, JL audio F113 subs MC601 and MC207 amps, AV8801, Oppo BD103d, Synergistic CTS cables,, Exasound E20 Dac 2

JVC RS40 projector, Black diamond zero edge 106" screen
post #35 of 46 Old 07-22-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane1992 View Post
No multi-channel input??? Big let down right there and probably a deal breaker. How am I going to listen to my wonderful 32bit ESS in the Oppo 105D? Come on Onkyo that's just not right.

Also no Neo:X??? Boo
Excellent point, same boat with the UD9004.

The AV8802 will have 7.1 in, but no one knows yet what will be under the hood. I am encouraged to dream on based on the Cinenow review talking about a lot of copper near the end of the article, that usually means premium components and the Made in Japan logo looks so Geiger counter friendly:
http://www.cinenow.fr/articles/28854...rs-audio-video

Furthermore Kal Rubinson and others seem to love what the HDAMs do with analog processing and smoothing.,

The AV8802 a no-brainer for this longterm Onkyo/Integra fan.

Last edited by bobpaule; 08-09-2014 at 03:20 PM.
post #36 of 46 Old 07-22-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Ok, is it time to upgrade my SSP (Integra XT32) to that Onkyo unit, or should I concentrate on Pioneer Elite, or Yamaha Aventage AV receivers?

Or! Marantz latest SSPs, or Denon latest AV receivers?

Audyssey XT32 is dead, Dolby Atmos is alive, newly born.

Parametric EQs (Pioneer & Yamaha) are a wise alternatives.

And Marantz and Denon are still using XT32. ...A dead technology.

What about Dirac Live, or Emotiva XMC-1? ...But no Dolby Atmos here, only PEQ and Diracless (for now, and who knows for how long exactly).

For more money, Datasat... ...Can they use that stuff in affordable units?

* I'm right back to zero, exactly where I started life. ...So many choices, so many directions, and so little time.
post #37 of 46 Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Announced as THX Select? Why is a pre-amp even given a THX rating since it would all be dependant on the amp?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #38 of 46 Old 07-23-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 199
THX has post processing features. My Lexicon has THX Ultra 2 cert. Things like re-eq and dedicated THX mode.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #39 of 46 Old 07-23-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
THX has post processing features. My Lexicon has THX Ultra 2 cert. Things like re-eq and dedicated THX mode.
There are many other factors that THX covers, including now video issues, in AVRs and AVCs. In the audio realm, the gain structure is strictly defined so that you can easily predict the amplification requirements to reach THX Reference in a given room if you know the sensitivity of the loudspeakers. THX-certified amps will also observe the same gain structure protocols so that this is possible. It's not a well known THX benefit, but applies well established engineering protocols from the professional/commercial field.

I know, we all say that we could do that on your own. But that was not so easily done in the home environment when THX came on the scene. Today so many products have adopted that very gain structure despite not being a THX certified product. I used Emotiva amps in a room design that was otherwise all THX-certified products. I verified input voltage with Emotiva. It matches the THX gain structure requirement, therefore I could specify other products with confidence of what I could achieve in the room.

My point is that although THX has kind of sold out in many ways, therefore diluting their apparent influence, they quietly raised the bar for the audio field. One of the reasons that THX is so lacking in influence these days is that so many of their specs have been freely adopted through the products in the industry over the years. Those are no longer recognized as "THX" features.

The biggest torpedo in the water for this and the rest of the new Onkyo line is the omission of XT32. Over on the Home Atmos thread, there is a link to a German comparison review of AccuEQ and XT32. There is no comparison. Marantz and Denon, here I come.
post #40 of 46 Old 07-23-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

This one Camera Man? ... AccuEQ Vs Audyssey

* THX certification: In a Surround Sound Processor (SSP) is a good thing to have; lots of parameters passing the mustard (preamplification and video wise). ...No need for it, but a good reassurance nonetheless. ...Good in AV receivers too, in HDTVs, in ...

=> Yeah, I know, a slight downgrade to THX Select2 Plus, and no more Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 (with Pro Ready-ness), and I think that the DACs are no longer by TI Burr-Brown but by Cirrus Logic? ...What about the DSPs; which brand, which model(s) numbers, and how many of them?

Last edited by NorthSky; 07-23-2014 at 05:15 PM.
post #41 of 46 Old 07-26-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hi,

FWIW a (my own) feed-back on Onkyo PR-SC5530's Dolby Atmos capabilities can be found here (in French) :

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/p...tml#p178195863

Hugo
post #42 of 46 Old 07-26-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Announced as THX Select? Why is a pre-amp even given a THX rating since it would all be dependant on the amp?
- Ultra2 Plus.

- Preamp parameters and video parameters (THX Ultra2 Plus certification)
post #43 of 46 Old 07-30-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Here is what made the hairs rise at the back of my head as the owner of 700+ SACD/DVD-A/BD-As along with a modest collection of high rez downloads:

Quote:
Engineered for Hi-res Audio

Onkyo A/V receivers are engineered for universal hi-res compatibility and ease of use. It's now remarkably easy to enjoy albums mastered in high-resolution that you've downloaded and stored on your computer or media server. The remote app very quickly locates the 192/24 and 96/24 high-resolution audio files on your network-attached storage devices and sends them via DLNA to the receiver with zero loss in quality. Almost every hi-res and lossless format is supported, from gapless FLAC and WAV to ALAC and WMA. The PR-SC5530 also handles 5.6 MHz DSD and Dolby® TrueHD formats for the ultimate in depth and clarity. With surpassing DSP power, hi-res music on your home theater is not only easy to enjoy, it sounds absolutely fantastic as well.
Quote:
Deeper, Wider, Clearer Sound for Vinyl and SACD

Pure Direct Analog Path Offers Interference-Free Hi-fi Amplification

At the touch of a button on the front panel, Pure Direct Analog Path mode brings higher fidelity to vinyl, SACD, or CD playback via your home theater. With this mode engaged, every digital circuit is physically shut down to prevent electrical interference on analog audio signals. Signals pass directly from the phono or analog audio inputs to the amplifiers and arrive at your front loudspeakers in pure analog form.

The improvement in audio quality is quite dramatic. With subtle interference erased, you can hear more detail deeper down in the mix, while the rich tonal character of vinyl is displayed in all its analog glory. This mode also lets your home theater receiver double as a dedicated analog stereo amplifier for quality source components, if space or budget precludes a dedicated hi-fi stereo system.
Then I quickly realized that it was propaganda geared at audiophiles, a mea culpa of sorts for dropping the 7.1 inputs.

Last edited by bobpaule; 08-09-2014 at 03:23 PM.
post #44 of 46 Old 10-17-2014, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
just a news, this preamp is on sale now!
post #45 of 46 Old 10-17-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

How much $
post #46 of 46 Old 10-17-2014, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)