Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By buggs1a

post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Help with Home Theater/Music setup!

All,

I am trying to plan out a home theater/music system for my house. I have a second story loft area that is going to be a combination of a home theater and a game room. The area is approx. 18’ x 35’, open to the first story on one side and a vaulted ceiling.

I have attempted to choose the equipment that I would like to use and would like to get input on whether it seems like a reasonable combination and some details on HOW to seup/connect/wire some of the system. I am looking to set up the system as a 5.1 with the option of going to a 7.1 in the future if I feel it’s worth it. Here is a list of the equipment that I am currently looking to purchase:

AV Receiver: Yamaha RX-V675 7.2
(105 W per channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 2 ch driven) 90 W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09% THD, 2 ch driven)

Floor Speakers: (2) Cerwin Vega XLS-215
Power Capacity: 500 watts (Peak )
Sensitivity in SPL: 95.3 dB (@ 8 ohms @ 1 meter full)
Impedance: 6 ohms

Center Speaker: Cerwin Vega XLS-6C

Rear Surround Speakers: Cerwin (2) Vega XLS-6
Power Capacity: 125 watts (Peak )
Sensitivity in SPL: 85 dB (@ 8 ohms @ 1 meter full)
Impedance: 6 ohms

Amp: Crown XLS 1500, 2 Channel, 525W @ 4 Ohms/Channel (300W @ 8ohms/Channel)

My main question, if this setup seems reasonable, is about hooking up the amp to the XLS-215 speakers. I would like to use the XLS-215 speakers in a 5.1 surround setup and have them act as the front channels and subs. These speakers have separate hookups on the back with jumper straps to connect the two sets of inputs. IF I want to use these in the manor I stated, should I separate the inputs? Using the midrange/tweeter inputs as the front channels being powered by the AV Receiver and the subs connected to the Crown amplifier? OR, should the whole speaker be connected to the amplifier? I don’t know the best way of going about using these loud speakers with an amplifier and as part of a 5.1 system. I’m thinking connect one ‘front’ channel to each of the mid/tweeters connections from the receiver to the speakers, then use one of the two “Subwoofer Pre Outs” on the back of the receiver to run to the amp and then from the amp to each of the sub hookups on the speakers.

I apologize if this is too verbose, or not enough info or very elementary but I’m looking to buy this stuff asap and just want to make sure I’m not getting components that I shouldn’t be! I greatly appreciate input from some more experienced people here!

Thank you for any input on this setup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi.
It depends on yer budget.

For the Vega front left and right, they don't have a sub per say. 2 15" drivers it seems by the name of them. The 2 sets of binding posts on the back are for the woofers and tweeters seperate as you know, but not a sub type connection. The speakers are capable of bi amp/bi wired. That's why there's two sets of binding posts.

If you want better sound I don't think Crown is anything special. It's more of a pro amp not dedicatedly made for home theater. The Yamaha may not have enough power for that size of a room if you had different speakers but the Vega are high spl. But again not the best for home theater. Just ok.

Just my thoughts.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
Hi.
It depends on yer budget.

For the Vega front left and right, they don't have a sub per say. 2 15" drivers it seems by the name of them. The 2 sets of binding posts on the back are for the woofers and tweeters seperate as you know, but not a sub type connection. The speakers are capable of bi amp/bi wired. That's why there's two sets of binding posts.

If you want better sound I don't think Crown is anything special. It's more of a pro amp not dedicatedly made for home theater. The Yamaha may not have enough power for that size of a room if you had different speakers but the Vega are high spl. But again not the best for home theater. Just ok.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks for your reply. I know that the Cerwin Vega XLS-215 speakers are the ones that I want. I know some don't think they are great, and sound quality might not be as perfect as some high end speakers, but they actually do get rated quite well by people who have actually tried them out...and of course you can implode your house with them as well, which is probably what CV is better known for lol.

I am open to other options on the receiver and amplifier though. What you say makes sense, these are not subs per say, just the (2) 15" woofers for the 3-way loud speakers. That being said, how do I go about hooking them up in a 5.1 system and incorporate and amplifier for these two loud speakers?

Thank you!
post #4 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The speakers seem like they'd be pretty awesome with dual 15" drivers. Plus I would like to see them powered by an amp not receiver. They look like Very powerful speakers and could gobble up tons of power.

What you've listed as parts would be ok. Except I know people usually prefer a home theater amp then the crowns.

What you would do is if the Yamaha has pre out for an external amp you connect the external amp to the front left and front right pre out. RCA connection. Then just connect the front left and right speakers to the amp. That's it.

In the receiver you'd then tell it to use the external amp for front left and right and use the receiver center and surround amps for those speakers. Many users do this.
MentalVirus likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks buggs1a! I figured this is a common setup, I just didn't know the details, thanks for the info. I will have to investigate other receiver options though I think, as the Yamaha appears to only have pre outs for 2 subs, not the other channels.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 349
what he said ^^^^^^^^

The Crown will feed the CV's well without bi amping that's how I would do it you can always add in a powered sub or 2 get the low down sounds .

OTOH 2 Smaller L/R fronts and a powered Sub or 2 might work as well or better .

In any event the CV's should be fine ofc adding a well placed powered sub or even better two will really round things out .
Usually a 15" woofer will do ~ 45Hz a sub can go lower depending .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-24-2014 at 11:07 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! Just an fyi, these XLS-215 Cerwin Vegas are rated as,
Frequency Response
38 Hz - 20 kHz (-3 dB)
36 Hz - 20 kHz (-10 dB)
post #8 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalVirus View Post
Thanks buggs1a! I figured this is a common setup, I just didn't know the details, thanks for the info. I will have to investigate other receiver options though I think, as the Yamaha appears to only have pre outs for 2 subs, not the other channels.
You need the next model up. The 775 has a full set of preamp outputs. You are stuck with finding an amp that supports speaker level input.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalVirus View Post
Thanks for the reply! Just an fyi, these XLS-215 Cerwin Vegas are rated as,
Frequency Response
38 Hz - 20 kHz (-3 dB)
36 Hz - 20 kHz (-10 dB)
36 Hz -10dB is a big difference from 38 Hz -3dB but they should do well in a large room . CV's usually have real decent bass or at least an abundance of it . You might want to add a powered sub sub or 2 later a lot depends on the room YMMV
They should sound pretty good though . Definitely get an AVR with full range preamp -outs as well as the usual sub outs .
if you are planing on getting the Crown

The equivalent QSC's amps are said by some sound pros to be a a little better than
the XLS OTOH the XLI are a bit better than the XLS although either would be fine and have more headroom than most Home theater amps and much better dampening (almost 10X ) as opposed to a consumer HT or AVR amp that's important with large woofers. Most EE will will tell there is you nothing wrong with a decent pro amp .
I have a Crown XTI 2002 in the studio it will put almost any consumer amp short of a MacIntosh 2 KW or large Krell monoblock to bed .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-24-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page