no sound in ARC mode - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-24-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
no sound in ARC mode

I have a Samsung TV (plasma F8500) and an Onkyo receiver (HT-R390). I have a PS3 going into the game port of the receiver and the out going into the TV. The PS3 audio works fine.

I recently tried enabling ARC mode (to auto) on my receiver and turned the mode on on my television. When I start a program like netflix on the TV I can see the volume go up/down on the TV and receiver when I adjust the volume on the TV remote. When I turn off the TV with the TV remote the receiver also turns off. That all seems to make sense, but the only issue is I get no sound. I'm told my TV needs to be sending a PCM signal, which is the only option in the menu (the other two are disabled--possibly because of the ARC?) and I can see PCM on the display of the receiver.

Are there any steps I can take to debug the missing audio? I purchased an optical cable since my TV has an optical out and my receiver has an optical in, but I don't know how to use that either and my manuals say practically nothing about using one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-24-2014, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Solved! After a few days of mucking with it, I finally got an Samsung's technical support. So I actually had to go into "Digital Audio" in the receiver setup (separate from the ARC configuration) and tell the receiver to use the second optical input when in "TV" mode.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-24-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 768
if you want multi-channel sound from the built-in mediaplayer just play a dts movie on the tv and then go into the menu and set sound to dts. for tv sound in multi-channel you need to set it in menu broadcast as well. weird thing is this cannot be chosen while it is not playing anything with dts or dolby digital sound in it. you can only set dts2:5 when it is on external speakermode also. hope this helps you.

Klipsch fronts 2xRF-82-II 150W 33Hz-24KHz
center RC-64-II 200W 59Hz-24KHz
sides 2xRS-62-II 150W 50Hz-24KHz
rears 2xRB-81-II 150W 44Hz-24KHz
Yamaha RX-A3040, YST-SW800 Sub 1000W RMS 6 Ohm 18-170 hz / SVS PB13-Ultra 1000W 14-200hz
Audioquest 1.6mm wire / Samsung UE-ES8000S TV+evo 2014 / Sony Playstation 3/ AC PlayonHD2
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
arc , f8500 , ht-r390 , Samsung
Gear in this thread - ht-r390 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page